Random stats

hzoi

So I just realized that exactly eleven years and a day passed between the hiding dates of our oldest find (Beaver Cache, 6/3/2000) and newest find (WWFM VIII - Show Your Colors: Montgomery, Alabama, 6/4/2011). I just thought that was neat, is all.

What's an odd stat you noticed? (Not looking for bragging, please.)

Number of feet of elevation between my highest (Crowsnest Mountain Summit) and lowest (Les montres) find.

Edited by Andronicus

Best stat is that I'm still counted among the living!!

what with all the falling off rocks, whacks in the face with bushes,

sticking hands into dark crevices, outrunning snakes, and exposure to a wide

assortment of dangers, it's a real miracle I'm still walking on this planet.

I just hope, when they eventually find my body in the back woods somewhere,

that all my geocaching friends will adorn the site with Happy Meal toys.

<_<

Am trying to get 100 virtuals, 100 letterboxes, 100 earth caches, 1000 puzzles, 250 multis and whatever # of traditionals, also 20+ of webcams, 20+ of wherigos, and also various event goals which I am not even close on. Just something different to do. With so many power trails and number hungries out there, I like to find cache types that are not so common. Makes my non-traditional percentage look good which is another random stat not shown anywhere.

As many would say, to each their own!

On my last big trip, my odometer went to 166666.

I was lacking salt to throw, so I had the car exorcised.

Don't you have a volvo?

hondacar!

Ohhh... If you had a volvo and joined the million miles club you might get your name on the famous list of volvo drivers with over a million miles on their car. So far I have about 500,000 miles on my volvo. :rolleyes:

I've been trying to decide if it is possible to use public information in someones farthest east/west/south/north stats to figure out where they live.

Theoretically, they could live anywhere within the "rectangle" formed by those statistics. Empirically, they probably live closer to the center than to the edges. It's extremely unlikely that they live at the dead center.

Edit: Actually, they could live outside the rectangle, too.

Edited by CanadianRockies

On my last big trip, my odometer went to 166666.

I was lacking salt to throw, so I had the car exorcised.

Don't you have a volvo?

hondacar!

Ohhh... If you had a volvo and joined the million miles club you might get your name on the famous list of volvo drivers with over a million miles on their car. So far I have about 500,000 miles on my volvo. :rolleyes:

I think I missed something here. Like, maybe 833,334 miles?

I've been trying to decide if it is possible to use public information in someones farthest east/west/south/north stats to figure out where they live.

Theoretically, they could live anywhere within the "rectangle" formed by those statistics. Empirically, they probably live closer to the center than to the edges. It's extremely unlikely that they live at the dead center.

It's almost as unlikely that they live outside the rectangle as it is that they live in the center.

One of my records, that I'll probably won't beat is "974 consecutive days without a find" (arg, why didn't i wait 26 days to have a cool number)

I only seem to DNF "easy" caches :lol:

OK here's one to beat. There was a cache across the street from Geowoodstock that has 952 finds as of this post, most of them this past weekend. It also has 2 DNFs. The first DNF the person didn't actually search. The other is mine.

There are six different cache types that I have zero finds on. Nice round number, that.

But in the stats bar chart Groundspeak kindly shows in my profile, they insist on showing those empty rows, even though there's nothing to show. Are they trying to goad me into filling those gaps? I see nothing wrong with having never found a Wherigo or those other eccentric types.

I have found exactly 10 caches with the words "fizzy" or "magic" in the cache name. They are:

GC10FB    Magic Kingdom                            
GCD86D    Stated For Fizzy                         
GCG3YA    Mmm - The Magic Movie Maze               
GCG7GZ    Magic Squares Of Odd Orders              
GCG844    Magic Squares Of Doubly Even Orders      
GCG84B    Magic Squares Of Singly Even Orders      
GCN03D    Cause Fizzy Likes Em                     
GCKE7Y    Houdinis Hideaway Magic Exchange         
GC11E8N   Well Rounded Cacher (The Fizzy Challenge)
GC2CFP9   Club 81 - Fizzy Challenge                

It's almost as unlikely that they live outside the rectangle as it is that they live in the center.

As near as I can figure, I'm fairly close to the center of the rectangle. Rather weird triangle, with E being Boston, N is Seattle, and W and S both in Hawaii.

Less than 25% of my finds are micros. Just something I noticed on the program CacheStats about 2 years ago, long before Geocaching.com got their own statistics. But now that I noticed it, I strive to never let that number get over 25%. Oops, that's not bragging, is it? :lol:

Sweet! I got a new goal now! :D

I find the most caches on the 27th of any given month, and the fewest on the 24th.

See, I think the statistic that tells you farthest find from home would give you a clue as to where they live.

Using arcs of that length and the farthest N/E/S/W cache locations might give some insight.

Any one have a full version of ArcGIS they can try it out on?

See, I think the statistic that tells you farthest find from home would give you a clue as to where they live.

Using arcs of that length and the farthest N/E/S/W cache locations might give some insight.

But the statistics for your closest/farthest cache from home don't display the cache name to anybody except yourself.

But the statistics for your closest/farthest cache from home don't display the cache name to anybody except yourself.

True, but I'm guessing odds are high that one of your farthest N/E/S/W is also your farthest from home.

I am intrigued that over half of my finds are more than 150KM from my home.

I am intrigued that over half of my finds are more than 150KM from my home.

I'm not surprised by my stats that way.

100 km to 250 km away from home: 41.48%

50 km to 100 km away from home: 29.63%

25 km to 50 km away from home: 13.7%

1 km to 10 km away from home: 4.81%

It's not that there aren't lots of caches close to us, it's just that we prefer to go caching in an environment that is different than where we live.

There are six different cache types that I have zero finds on. Nice round number, that.

But in the stats bar chart Groundspeak kindly shows in my profile, they insist on showing those empty rows, even though there's nothing to show. Are they trying to goad me into filling those gaps? I see nothing wrong with having never found a Wherigo or those other eccentric types.

I find this annoying, too. It would be nice if those "other" cache types either didn't show up until a "found it" log has been recorded, or at least they were greyed out. I can be pretty sure we're not going to be filling in the at least 9 of those types.

True, but I'm guessing odds are high that one of your farthest N/E/S/W is also your farthest from home.

No, not at all. Plus, you don't see the "distance from home" for those caches.

Interesting. For all the accounts that I know their home location for it is true that one of their farthest N/E/S/W caches is also their farthest from home.

Interesting. For all the accounts that I know their home location for it is true that one of their farthest N/E/S/W caches is also their farthest from home.

I must be an exception then :P

The further away you live from the prime meridian, the more wrong it will be.

I'm going to go stare at your stats page now and try to decide (only using that info) where you live. :ph34r:

I see what you're saying now (duh!). I suppose it might provide some insight in some cases.

I'm not sure how high the odds are that one of the farthest N/E/S/W points also is the farthest from home. In my case, it currently isn't true. My farthest cache from home is in one of the corners of the "rectangle."

If one of the N/E/S/W points did match the farthest point from my home, then the four arcs (or, more likely, two arcs) probably would cross lots of land. If one of the arcs crossed a major city, however, then a reasonable guess might be made at that level of precision. A specific address, however, seems unlikely.

Still, Groundspeak might be wise to round the "farthest from home" statistic to the nearest kilometre or mile to ease potential concerns.

My farthest from home: GCKY4J - Rocky Point (Idaho) 2139.256 mi

North: GC9872 - Wall of Fame (Montana) 2094mi

West: GC829A - Whitefish Red Sun (Montana) 2125mi

If I didn't find "Wall of Fame" North and West would be the same cache!

I have two caches found a year apart, 200mi from each other, they can both be called my easternmost, as the west coords are only 00.002 apart (that's 10 feet!)

Can you explain this? I understand that a cache can be further than one of your north-south-east-west caches, but it doesnt have anything to do with the prime meridian..... Maybe distance from the equator...but not prime meridian.

Hey, does anyone know what GSAK macro calculates your Caching Centriod (or whatever it was called)?

I'd be interested in looking at the distance between the caching centriod and people's home coords.

My GSAK-computed centroid location is over 86 kilometres from my specified home location (which is within a kilometre of my actual home location).

Any one have a full version of ArcGIS they can try it out on?

Furthest from home might work.

Cache centroid would definitely not work for any of the three home locations we've had so far. Currently, our centroid is still way out in the North Atlantic, though it's slowly creeping toward the Grand Banks. I remember when it seemed like it would never leave Europe...

Hey, does anyone know what GSAK macro calculates your Caching Centriod (or whatever it was called)?

I'd be interested in looking at the distance between the caching centriod and people's home coords.

My GSAK-computed centroid location is over 86 kilometres from my specified home location (which is within a kilometre of my actual home location).

My back-of-the-envelope center-of-farthest-north-south-east-west rectangle location is about 180 miles from my home.

Hmm, now that I've figured out that location, I have to fight the urge to go hide a cache there.

Of course you only need one find a long way from home to mess up the rectangle. The centroid of all my finds would be closer (but I don't run Windows, hence no GSAK) but I do have a bunch of finds in Virginia due to my going there for work.

My most finds in a single day is 42. It was not intentional that I got exactly that many, but I may have to limit my future geo-sprees to preserve my statistical geekery. :)

I have found more Large-size caches listed as Other or Not Chosen than I have found listed as Large.

I have found more caches (141) in the 100-250 mi range from my home coordinates than I have in my 25-100 mi range (100).

I own more non-Traditional caches (8) than Traditionals (5).

I have found 515 caches already in 2011 after finding 443 in all of 2010 (my first year caching). I'm pretty sure I've found less than a dozen LPCs and GRIMs in 2011.

Edited by Joshism

I have found more caches (141) in the 100-250 mi range from my home coordinates than I have in my 25-100 mi range (100).

This shouldn't be too surprising. For two reasons.

First, the width of the first ring is 150 miles (250 - 100), while the width of the second ring is only 75 miles (100 - 25). The area of that first, wider ring is about 164,934 square miles. The area of that second, narrower ring is only about 29,453 square miles.

Second, even if the widths of the two rings were equal, the first ring is farther away from the center of the circle and thus would still cover more ground. If the first ring had a range of only 175-250 miles (a 75-mile width), then its area would be about 100,139 square miles.

You can count me in the group that my farthest from home is not the same cache as my farthest NEWS