Bomb scares and bad geocache ideas

We so often hear about how it is a bad idea to do things against the guidelines, but some people insist on doing it anyway.

I just found these two lists of geocaches that have had bad consequences.

Some have been blown up by the bomb squad, and some have cost people huge fines in court (which could have been avoided had they followed the guidelines).

One guy narrowly escaped a year in jail (the judge decided not to make him do the time after all but still gave him a huge fine and took away his drivers license for a year).

bookmark lists for bad caches

I for one, was interested to hear the consequences of these actions.

The example listed above is from someone who placed a cache on railroad property. I always hear about it not being allowed, but didn't know it had such serious consequences. I, for one, will take the guidelines even more seriously.

I didn't read every one. If you read one of these that are interesting you can post about it here.

moderator, if there is any reason not to post this, please delete this thread. Thank you.

One thing to keep in mind is that geocaching is not an acceptable reason to trespass. We often see these problems discussed and the CO is blamed for a bad placement. Yup, they should not have hidden it there. But often times it is a finder being spotted at the location that triggers the event. In some places it may be reasonable to assume that permission has been obtained. Other times you need to think "Am I really allowed to be here?". Some times you need to be willing to walk away from a cache hunt without getting the smiley.

moderator, if there is any reason not to post this, please delete this thread. Thank you.

Threads are never deleted here. You're immortalized on the interwebs for all eternity. :unsure:

"Bomb scares and other fun stuff" was created by a now banned member. The list was "adopted" (didn't even know you could do that), but the adoptive owner, although moderately active in Geocaching, dropped the ball, and pretty much abandoned the list.

The 2nd one is maybe a year old, and seems to be well-maintained, and up to date.

One thing to keep in mind is that geocaching is not an acceptable reason to trespass. We often see these problems discussed and the CO is blamed for a bad placement. Yup, they should not have hidden it there. But often times it is a finder being spotted at the location that triggers the event. In some places it may be reasonable to assume that permission has been obtained. Other times you need to think "Am I really allowed to be here?". Some times you need to be willing to walk away from a cache hunt without getting the smiley.

I have walked away from caches that appeared to be unintentionally hidden on private property.

It can be hard to tell though, as since caches are supposed to be placed with permission, *theoretically* a cacher can assume that the CO has permission from the land manager to place the cache there. More experienced cachers know that this is seldom the case for such hides, but misunderstandings are bound to happen.

Mr. Yuck,

It is incredibly, extremely rare, but the moderators do have the power to delete threads. I have seen it done. It's true they would be more likely to delete the links. It was late at night when I posted and I forgot that possibility.

GOF,

Thanks for your post. It is a good reminder. I know when I get to a cache site it is hard for me to NOT look for it. I usually go go back and look on the cache page to see if they've written that they've gotten permission.

They don't always write it though.

I wish everyone would put on their cache page when they've gotten permission. They often will.

Possible cache detonation in downtown Atlanta yeasterday: Police blow up suspicious package in downtown Atlanta.

The package, a locked plastic box, was found leaning against a statue at Peachtree and Marietta streets.

No traditional cache at that address I'm aware of, but it may have been a puzzle/multi final, or listed on another site. Then again, if it was leaning against the statue in plain sight, not the best cache hide in the world, so hopefully it was something else.

In other news, apparently bodies keep turning up in the woods near the quarry west of town: Remains found in NW Atlanta woods. I know someone was looking to place a cache near there, as that's the quarry they film the AMC show "Walking Dead" -- maybe not the best place for a cache after all...

Mr. Yuck,

It is incredibly, extremely rare, but the moderators do have the power to delete threads. I have seen it done. It's true they would be more likely to delete the links. It was late at night when I posted and I forgot that possibility.

I posted in a thread within the last week that was deleted the next time I looked for it (within two hours).

Threads are never deleted here. You're immortalized on the interwebs for all eternity. :unsure:

Not true. There was a thread listed in the IBTL thread in OT and by the time I clicked the link it had gone poof.

But yes, most of the time you are immortalized on the interwebs for all eternity.

Not true. There was a thread listed in the IBTL thread in OT and by the time I clicked the link it had gone poof.

But yes, most of the time you are immortalized on the interwebs for all eternity.

That avatar confuses me. :lol: This is a bumped thread, and I didn't even see Sol Seekers response to me way back when. Yes, in extraordinary cases, they will delete a thread. I remember a couple years ago when a New York City cacher frustrated with his reviewer threatened to start muggling caches in the Mid-Atlantic forum, the thread disappeared. I had posted to it too.

That avatar confuses me. :lol: This is a bumped thread, and I didn't even see Sol Seekers response to me way back when. Yes, in extraordinary cases, they will delete a thread. I remember a couple years ago when a New York City cacher frustrated with his reviewer threatened to start muggling caches in the Mid-Atlantic forum, the thread disappeared. I had posted to it too.

They just deleted one advertising an opencaching event hosted by Gander Mountain last night.

They just deleted one advertising an opencaching event hosted by Gander Mountain last night.

If I post to a thread that later gets deleted, does my post count go down? :(

I didn't notice when it happened to me. :P

I don't feel like quoting the normalet, but sorry I missed the Opencaching.com event being advertised (not really).

If you get your IBTL in and they delete do you still get credit for your IBTL?

Uh...

Let's stick to the topic guys, or you'll have to list this thread in the IBTL thread in OT.

There are a couple of lists that can be reached through the list posted in the first post. Very interesting reading. I hadn't known they existed.

It's good to be aware of this stuff. If we see a cache that looks like one on the list we can contact the reviewer

NOT the land manager. That will get the bomb squad called in. Contact the reviewer FIRST for cache issues please.