Geocaching Record Attempt 10-24

Between June 22nd and 24th 2011 we - three geocachers from Germany - successfully established our record to find geocaches in 10 different european countries within 24 hours only!

We started our trip at midnight June 23rd close to the border of Danmark and then continued our hunt caching in the following 9 countries, finding at least 2-3 geocaches per country: Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Italy.

Total geocaching distance : 1.587 km - this is the distance we drove from the first cache in Danmark until the final one in Italy

Driving time (net) : 15:55h - this is the driving time only for the distance above

Time from start to finish: 20:43h - this is the driving time PLUS the time we spent on finding caches

Total driving distance: 2.494 km - this is the distance from the top PLUS we had to go from Germany to Denmark to start and from Italy back to Austria where we stayed in a Hotel.

Totel driving time: Round about 34 hours - "nonstop" from leaving in Germany until we arrived in our Hotel in Innsbruck, Austria.

And even though we were in a car for almost 34 hrs non stop driving we really enjoyed it!

imageff.jpg

It is really amazing that a lot of Cache owners which were all informed by us before we started our attempt were very interested and offering support. We Even had the chance to meet the owners in Danmark who joined us at midnight in a forest to start our mission at their Cache on a shooting range.

imageicf.jpg

At the end we placed three identical GeoCoins in the Cache in Italy which are currently racing to our home location in Germany ;-)

imagevtf.jpg

According to the GPS-Protocol we reached the borders as follows:

Danmark 00:00

Germany 00:10am after 10 km

Netherlands 05:04am after 641 km

Belgium 05:46am after 664 km

Luxemburg 07:07am after 765 km

France 08:30am after 853 km

Switzerland 14:28pm after 1.222 km

Liechtenstein 17:44pm after 1.408 km

Austria 18:34pm after 1.437 km

Italy 20:49pm after 1.582 km

We sucessfully established the record on June 23rd at 20:54pm after only 20hrs and 54 min. at the great cache "Der Turm - La Torre" (GC1CYGD)! The long ride was really worth it - especially seeing THIS great cache here in Italy!

imagedns.jpg

Here´s a list of all Geocaches we found during the event:

Der Turm - La Torre by SimFloG | GC1CYGD | Trentino–Alto Adige , Italy

Griwos 39,98er by hardis & friends for Griwo | GC2CD8T | Vorarlberg, Austria

Schönerblick Cache by edithmarxer | GC2WZDF | Vorarlberg, Austria

Naturweiher-Blick by edithmarxer | GC2XWQ6 | Liechtenstein

FC Ruggell by Pat_D | GC2QMRM | Liechtenstein

Quick and Easy 4 by Pink & Mia | GC18WWA | Nordwestschweiz (AG/BL/BS), Switzerland

Quick and Easy 3 by Pink & Mia | GC120J4 | Nordwestschweiz (AG/BL/BS), Switzerland

AutoStop A4 Est - Aire de Danne by OMLingo | GC129AM | Alsace, France

Bourg - la - Reine by alderic | GC10V5G | Lorraine, France

A31 "porte de France " Luxembourg - Metz by ruispalat | GC1VXVX | Lorraine, France

Le puits de Zoufftgen by Schnippy | GC28WHV | Lorraine, France

Öslings Untergrund *1 by Mawerick | GC19Q4T | Luxembourg

Shop'n Cache 2 by pir | GC1VW04 | Luxembourg

Shop'n Cache 3 by pir | GC1VW05 | Luxembourg

Entdecke die Grenze #1 by MaBo70 | GC2C81Z | Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

Schilda by Piefendeckel & Enterrador | GC2FQM8 | Liège, Belgium

The gateway to Belgium by Piefendeckel | GC1WAFK | Liège, Belgium

'40-'45: Jürgen G. Krohnke by RuudjeS18 | GC2X5V3 | Limburg, Netherlands

Bocholtz by The Balkoms | GC20WFW | Netherlands

Mach mal Pause Nr. 2 by Fam. Piper | GC29PTG | Schleswig-Holstein, Germany

Skytteforening #2 by Buck_DK | GC2F78F | Denmark

imagebqs.jpg

I also attached these pictures to give you a short insight into our trip - we took 32Gigabyte of Video during the trip and a lot of pictues - so if you need anything for a nice story we can deliver a lot ;-)

Best regards, Max (MyGe0cache) Norman (Norman.R) Dominic (Zweisamkite)

Edited by MyGe0cache

How do you know it's a record?

Early in the post, they refer to "our record." The later mention of "the record" probably is a reference to their personal record.

Congratulations.

Well, for US it is for sure a personal record. But As of now we were not able to find any signs of such an existing record in Europe until today. We also asked Groundspeak, but they are still checking if there is an "official" record or if we were the first ones. How ever - it was really fun !

This is the type of record I'd want to do.

I think 2.000km for 20 caches is far more impressive then 100mi for 1000 caches.

Did you see anything along the way? Most of your time must have been spent looking out the window.

EDIT: Didn't someone do almost the same thing last year?

Edited by Downy288

This is the type of record I'd want to do.

I think 2.000km for 20 caches is far more impressive then 100mi for 1000 caches.

Did you see anything along the way? Most of your time must have been spent looking out the window.

EDIT: Didn't someone do almost the same thing last year?

We are still working on the 32Gig of Video ;-) But as we started at Midnight, we were driving at daylight most of the Time. The Mountains of Switzerland and Italy were very impressive, and it was awesome to visit 10 countries in only one Day :-)

Groundspeak told us that a Team planned to do 15 countries in 24hrs, but they do Not Know if they tried or succeeded. They are checking with them today and give us Feedback...

Edited by MyGe0cache

Congratulations! A very long trip indeed. I don't even want to think about how many euros you spent on fuel! :blink: Sounds like you had a lot of fun, though. I can't remember when we cached in our 10th country, but I definitely remember it took us more than aday to get to it!

Congratulations! A very long trip indeed. I don't even want to think about how many euros you spent on fuel! :blink: Sounds like you had a lot of fun, though. I can't remember when we cached in our 10th country, but I definitely remember it took us more than aday to get to it!

Well, to be honest - I spent more money on equipment for that tour than on fuel ;-) The car is very fuel saving, and in most of the countries there were speedlimits which made it difficult to have the engine eat the fule up fast. Besides that it´s a company car, and I only had to pay for the fuel which I didn´t buy in Germany. So don´t worry, it was absolutely worth the Euros we spent!!! :-)

That sounds like a fun trip, but unless I misunderstood your numbers, you averaged 156 KPH. Is that right?

No, that was maybe what we made at night on the German "autobahn" but not in average... Here´s why:

Total geocaching distance : 1.587 km - this is the distance we drove from the first cache in Danmark until the final one in Italy

Driving time (net) : 15:55h - this is the driving time for the distance above

Time from start to finish: 20:43h - this is the driving time PLUS the time we spent on finding caches

Total driving distance: 2.494 km - this is the distance from the top PLUS we had to go from Germany to Denmark to start and from Italy back to Austria where we stayed in a Hotel.

Totel driving time was round about 34 hours in a row from leaving in Germany until we arrived in our Hotel in Innsbruck, Austria.

Edited by MyGe0cache

I wonder if you would have had time to squeeze in an eleventh country...

According to Google, to get from GC2F78F, your Danish cache, to the closest cache available by road in Sweden, GCYK30, it would take you 3.5 hours, but it might be possible to do it faster, especially in the middle of the night.

I had that discussion with the team before we started... but not with Sweden. The point is, that we wanted to have some NICE scenic view caches, and not only "drive by´s" on the highway. We also decided to go for more than only one cache per country so we could enjoy the trip instead of only rushing from A to B. I think it would have been possible to do 11 or even 12 countries in 24hrs. But honestly - I don´t think that would make as much fun as we had on our tour ;-)

I wonder if you would have had time to squeeze in an eleventh country...

According to Google, to get from GC2F78F, your Danish cache, to the closest cache available by road in Sweden, GCYK30, it would take you 3.5 hours, but it might be possible to do it faster, especially in the middle of the night.

I had that discussion with the team before we started... but not with Sweden. The point is, that we wanted to have some NICE scenic view caches, and not only "drive by´s" on the highway. We also decided to go for more than only one cache per country so we could enjoy the trip instead of only rushing from A to B. I think it would have been possible to do 11 or even 12 countries in 24hrs. But honestly - I don´t think that would make as much fun as we had on our tour ;-)

No, I think you're absolutely right. I was just curious how much further it would have been.

I looked back at our cache logs and saw that Denmark was our 10th country cached as well -- but it took us 10 months to get there! :laughing: (And it took us even longer to get all 16 Bundeslaender.)

Congratulations again!

Sorry, but its not the Record.

I know of 14 Countries in 1 Day:

GC1G8V8 Poland 00:00:00

GC2AT4Q Czech Republic

GC2C45E Slovakia

GC1KA1H Hungary

GCZQ5P Austria

GC1TGWW Italy

GC2BR47 Slovenia

GC1Z6KM Germany

GC1CYWQ Switzerland

GC1D5NG Lichtenstein

GC28KR3 France

GC1E25D Luxemburg

GC26A86 Belgium

GC1XAN9 Netherlands @ 23:58

by : http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=3db1e5a8-3792-4d56-862f-bd9de8e85068

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=da&tl=de&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwebfora.dk%2Fgeocaching%2Fshowthread.php%3F12948-14-lande-p%25E5-24-timer%26p%3D146023%23post146023

I believe thats the record. :-)

Edited by knighthawk001

Sorry, but its not the Record.

I know of 14 Countries in 1 Day:

GC1G8V8 Poland 00:00:00

GC2AT4Q Czech Republic

GC2C45E Slovakia

GC1KA1H Hungary

GCZQ5P Austria

GC1TGWW Italy

GC2BR47 Slovenia

GC1Z6KM Germany

GC1CYWQ Switzerland

GC1D5NG Lichtenstein

GC28KR3 France

GC1E25D Luxemburg

GC26A86 Belgium

GC1XAN9 Netherlands @ 23:58

by : http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=3db1e5a8-3792-4d56-862f-bd9de8e85068

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=da&tl=de&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwebfora.dk%2Fgeocaching%2Fshowthread.php%3F12948-14-lande-p%25E5-24-timer%26p%3D146023%23post146023

I believe thats the record. :-)

On today's podcacher show, a team is claiming 15 countries in a single day. Best we can do in North America is 3 countries and there better be a plane involved! Congrats to them, another record has been broken!

Congratulations

I take it that border crossing is different there than here in north america :ph34r:

Yep. Travel between EU countries is pretty painless. I flew into Belgium a little over a week ago and other than the long line at passport control, a brief glance at my passport and a stamp and I was in the EU. Flying to Rome and back didn't involved going through any passport control whatsoever.