A little manners please!

Okay, I have not been doing this geocaching thing as long as some of the others around here, and while I feel I am fairly well rounded, I realize that we haven't seen it all. But what I am finding from several people (usually newbies) are comments like "not where I would have put it, but thanks anyway" and "not a very good container, you should use something better". These are darn near direct quotes of logs I have seen, and it is driving me nuts.

Hello! You should be happy there is something there for you at all!

GRRRRR!

Is this a new phenomenon or one that has been going on for many moons and I am just now really noticing it?

Okay, I have not been doing this geocaching thing as long as some of the others around here, and while I feel I am fairly well rounded, I realize that we haven't seen it all. But what I am finding from several people (usually newbies) are comments like "not where I would have put it, but thanks anyway" and "not a very good container, you should use something better". These are darn near direct quotes of logs I have seen, and it is driving me nuts.

GRRRRR!

Is this a new phenomenon or one that has been going on for many moons and I am just now really noticing it?

It's not all that new. Some folks think that a Found It log is a review and critique forum for your geocache. Just ignore it and cache on.

has been going on for many moons

It's all my fault, sorry. I've been encouraging people to log something -- anything -- more than just "TFTC". Now everyone's gone bat nuts crazy.

I should have been more specific.

I knew it. My annoyance and heartache from reading caching logs is all thanks to you. At least I have somewhere to point my finger ;-)

GRRRRR!

It's not all that new. Some folks think that a Found It log is a review and critique forum for your geocache. Just ignore it and cache on.

Well the logs are in part to provide feedback to the cache owner so a critique isn't out of line. It's all in how you do it.

As a cache owner if I receive criticism I ask myself if the critic has a valid point. If so I will take it under advisement. If not I'll just ignore it.

GRRRRR!

Well the logs are in part to provide feedback to the cache owner so a critique isn't out of line. It's all in how you do it.

As a cache owner if I receive criticism I ask myself if the critic has a valid point. If so I will take it under advisement. If not I'll just ignore it.

That is basically what I was going to respond with, as well. Perhaps your containers really are ones that are known to not hold up well to the rigors of geocaching. Perhaps there are better hiding spots nearby that you missed. Especially if more than one cacher is telling you this sort of thing, perhaps you need to consider if there is any truth to what they are saying. Or perhaps they are just plain grumpy cachers, best ignored.

Some folks think that a Found It log is a review and critique forum for your geocache.

You mean it's not? It seems in the past little while TFTC has become the norm, but there is actually an entire text box on the logging page which gives you the opportunity to talk about your caching experience, which includes what you thought of the cache.

But lately, anyone who writes that much is thought of as a jerk who needs to realize the world doesn't revolve around them.

GRRRRR!

I feel the same way. I take criticism well and use it as a feedback. The next cache I hide was better than before base on the feedback I get. When people sugarcoat everything, I dont know what I did wrong and got nothing to work with. Its better to be honest so everybody can learn but some CO cant take criticism well.

Edited by SwineFlew

^THIS^

At least they have SOMETHING to say about it.

Would a blank log have been more satisfactory? :P

GRRRRR!

Not really seeing this on your caches. Perhaps it needed to be said? There's really just two methods, the quick and simple 15 logs that say nothing other than, TFTC, Found it, Quick find, Got lucky, and the ones that say more to the issue.

I think if it's more than one person posting that type of log - consider the majority opinion.

GRRRRR!

I feel the same way. I take criticism well and use it as a feedback. The next cache I hide was better than before base on the feedback I get. When people sugarcoat everything, I dont know what I did wrong and got nothing to work with. Its better to be honest so everybody can learn but some CO cant take criticism well.

I completely agree with this. While I prefer for them to be polite about it, I also prefer for them to tell me exactly what they think. I'm constantly trying to improve on my "game". Being newer to the game has some to do with it, but I think I will always be accepting of well-worded criticism, providing they also commend me when I've done well.

As long as you accept it graciously, do your best to fix it, & do your best to improve, who's it hurting? Not you, you're only getting better.

GRRRRR!

I completely agree with this. While I prefer for them to be polite about it, I also prefer for them to tell me exactly what they think.

Can't they do both at the same time? ^_^

Like others have said, I'd prefer criticism over a blank log or a "TFTC" log. Besides, criticism will just make me a better hider of caches. If the criticism is constructive, use it to better your caches. If the criticism is just mean and unhelpful, ignore it. :)

+1 much rather have criticism then a blank or TFTC log. :anitongue:

If there is a container issue or a likely future issue because of the container I would think it a good idea to politely make the CO aware of it. They may be unaware their container of choice isn't so good.

"Not where I would have hidden it" seems like a vague comment. It could be a criticism that the finder thought the hide is bad or it could be a complement because the hide fooled their geosenses.

Leaving comments in logs on whether or not you thought the cache was good is a valid and reasonable way of providing feedback to COs - be polite yet honest.

But what I am finding from several people (usually newbies) are comments like "not where I would have put it, but thanks anyway" and "not a very good container, you should use something better". These are darn near direct quotes of logs I have seen, and it is driving me nuts.

Why do you think it is impolite to post respectful criticism of a cache placement? One of the above quotes seemed quite polite to me. The other one is arguably not very gentle, but I don't think it is rude.

Being a cache owner sometimes requires a thick skin. Feedback is a great way to learn what finders do and do not like. Expecting everyone to post rainbows and unicorns in their logs would make for very shallow logs.

I don't think such comments as "not where I would have put it, but thanks anyway", or "not a very good container" are lacking in manners. Some day you may encounter a cache that you feel may have been placed by a newbie that could use a little constructive criticism. For instance, let's say you found a cache that was only a ziplock and a logbook, with holes in the baggie and a wet log. You see it has been placed by someone relatively new at the game. You would like to encourage the hider to use better container than just a baggie. How would you word such comments? You might say that a baggie does not make a very good container since it is prone to holes and leakage. That doesn't mean you are lacking in manners.

If you continue to get such logs, you may want to re-think where you hid it, or what type of container you used. The logs may not be an indication of bad manners. They may just be constructive criticism.

GRRRRR!

That is basically what I was going to respond with, as well. Perhaps your containers really are ones that are known to not hold up well to the rigors of geocaching. Perhaps there are better hiding spots nearby that you missed. Especially if more than one cacher is telling you this sort of thing, perhaps you need to consider if there is any truth to what they are saying. Or perhaps they are just plain grumpy cachers, best ignored.

Actually, it isn't even my caches I am talking about, it is other people's caches that I am seeing these comments on. I am annoyed by proxy for them.

Like others have said, I'd prefer criticism over a blank log or a "TFTC" log. Besides, criticism will just make me a better hider of caches. If the criticism is constructive, use it to better your caches. If the criticism is just mean and unhelpful, ignore it. :)

+1 much rather have criticism then a blank or TFTC log. :anitongue:

I completely agree. Just as I would prefer a compliment where warrented, and information about the status of the log or cache. I just read these other logs and feel a little bad for a cache owner that has taken the time to put one out and they are criticised for container type or placement. I don't expect people to always be sunshine and roses, I do however, think that people should be respectful. "Not where I would have put it" vs "cache seems exposed", I think there is a difference there.

Some people would strongly disagree with that.

Er, did I just take the mealworm off the hook? :rolleyes:

Yeah, don't go with that one. Then you'll open up the whole "cache owner entitlement" can of worms. Strange you get these logs from newbies in this day and age of rampant n00b blank or TFTC logging. :) If I were to ever make a blanket statement about n00b logging, it would be a tendency to post spoilers. Of course that was when they all had GPS units, and logged them on a computer.

Some people would strongly disagree with that.

Er, did I just take the mealworm off the hook? :rolleyes:

Yeah, don't go with that one. Then you'll open up the whole "cache owner entitlement" can of worms. Strange you get these logs from newbies in this day and age of rampant n00b blank or TFTC logging. :) If I were to ever make a blanket statement about n00b logging, it would be a tendency to post spoilers. Of course that was when they all had GPS units, and logged them on a computer.

*looks around and whispers*

Okay, so I am not sure what the "cache owner entitlement" argument is. Could you clue me in on this please?

GRRRRR!

would you prefer this instead? :lol:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=72c6f435-5a84-4ec8-8238-af7694a17edb

But what I am finding from several people (usually newbies) are comments like "not where I would have put it, but thanks anyway" and "not a very good container, you should use something better". These are darn near direct quotes of logs I have seen, and it is driving me nuts.

Why do you think it is impolite to post respectful criticism of a cache placement? One of the above quotes seemed quite polite to me. The other one is arguably not very gentle, but I don't think it is rude.

Being a cache owner sometimes requires a thick skin. Feedback is a great way to learn what finders do and do not like. Expecting everyone to post rainbows and unicorns in their logs would make for very shallow logs.

+1

Personally, I see nothing wrong with saying...perhaps not the best choice of containers if it was a sad microwave dish container in the woods. If a cache is right next to a lake where kids play and its on the ground with no support and no waterproofing, whats wrong with saying you might want to think of a better spot?

There are a plethora of forums, websites which have rude people deliberately saying things to make people feel bad. If someone is just matter of factly saying they do not think the container will hold up, then people can't say anything in their logs but fake platitudes.

GRRRRR!

Annoying to hear as a cache owner, yeah. Some of the feedback, though poorly delivered, can be constructive. Take it all with a grain of salt, and use the feedback as a way to work out the kinks in your description or future placements. It may help tweak the difficulty or terrain ratings, or eventually maybe even a placement.

Hang in there! :anibad:

GRRRRR!

Actually, it isn't even my caches I am talking about, it is other people's caches that I am seeing these comments on. I am annoyed by proxy for them.

Same thing still holds true, except by proxy. :lol:

"not where I would have put it, but thanks anyway"

I admit I've said something like that in a log. And meant it when it was an illegally buried cache.

Your allowed to give your opinions or advice. I get them a lot too. Sometimes it helps sometimes not.

Edited by jellis

Hello! You should be happy there is something there for you at

I actually like getting honest feedback on my caches, as I am a firm believer that anything can be improved upon. A while back, I experimented with a container called a Therapak canister. It's kinda like a Nalgene drinking bottle, but with a rubber gadget and finer threads on the lid. Their primary purpose is transporting medical liquids. I thought they might work well, and tested them exhaustively, but I couldn't really know if they were viable until actual field trials.

If I use a crappy container, I want to know about it.

I'm not a proponent of the "A crappy cache is better than no cache" mentality.

One joint hide received a log stating that "a bigger container could have gone here." They were right, but at the time, the smaller one was all we had. Another cacher came to our defence, it was just what seemed to be the tone of the log... We didn't mind as said cacher was a prolific and excellent hider - we still have a ways to go to catch up to that.