Quebec road sign

NordicMan

Hi guys OK this is a bit off topic lol but I was driving through Quebec a week ago and came across these signs on the side of the highway, and can't figure out what they mean! Can anyone help?

It's not completely off-topic, as the drive was part of a Maritime Geocaching road trip :D & wow the East coast is awesome!

Thx in advance!

QuebecRoadSign.jpg

Thanks for the ideas guys! B) Yeah my girlfriend also though maybe it was an indication of a tree re-plantation area ahead like some of you thought too. Quebec is big on ATV'ing and maybe those signs were directed more at them than the cars on the highway? ATV'rs drive along the ditches quite often.

I just can't believe how HARD it is to find that sign on an official government site! :blink:

It's a sign for a tree plantation, and it seems clear enough, since most people who seriously tried were able to guess. Some people prefer to take any excuse to bash Quebec. "Clarity act" indeed <_< ... one of the most ridiculous law Canadian politicians ever came up with, and it really has nothing to do with this thread or with geocaching.

Usually those signs are smaller than "normal" road signs, as they are directed to ATV/snowmobiles users. There is not much in the picture to let me guess the size of the sign, but it doesn't seem to be in the proper position for a road sign.

Edited by The red-haired witch

Okay, the Quebec mystery is solved I think. However, I have two similar Ontario questions, and I apologize that I don't have the photographs to back them up.

1) A few weeks ago while caching in Muskoka we noticed signs at the entrance to roads that ran off Hwy 118. They pictured a truck and beneath each wheel there was an arrow pointing downward.

2) We've noticed a number of "signs", specifically along Hwy 400 and 404 but I'm sure not exclusive to these highways, that are "nothing" if not interesting. There are the two sign posts, and the cross posts that would support a sign, but there is only a grey board covering the right half of where the sign would be, and nothing on the left half. Now, are these signs-in-waiting, or do they signify something different altogether?

Curiously yours,

Paul

Okay, the Quebec mystery is solved I think. However, I have two similar Ontario questions, and I apologize that I don't have the photographs to back them up.

1) A few weeks ago while caching in Muskoka we noticed signs at the entrance to roads that ran off Hwy 118. They pictured a truck and beneath each wheel there was an arrow pointing downward.

Doesn't this sign have something to do with weight restrictions during the spring?

Gravity in effect (Trucks only).

As an aside: Why do feel the need to take the mickey out of Ontario all the time. :unsure:

Edited by ToonAl

like dfx said, it indicates the maximum weight per axle

070-1.jpg

It's a sign for a tree plantation, and it seems clear enough, since most people who seriously tried were able to guess. Some people prefer to take any excuse to bash Quebec. "Clarity act" indeed <_< ... one of the most ridiculous law Canadian politicians ever came up with, and it really has nothing to do with this thread or with geocaching.

Usually those signs are smaller than "normal" road signs, as they are directed to ATV/snowmobiles users. There is not much in the picture to let me guess the size of the sign, but it doesn't seem to be in the proper position for a road sign.

Thanks for the tips. The signs were identical in size to any other yield sign I've seen before, and the 1/2 dozen signs I saw were all placed in about the same manner. But..

A. We too thought it was maybe tree plantation related, yet we looked around & couldn't see any such activity going on...

B. Why do we need to be warned of such an activity?

C. To your point about the clarity act.. I tried in vain to answer my own question by seeking official Quebec transportation websites but couldn't find that sign anywhere :(

A. We too thought it was maybe tree plantation related, yet we looked around & couldn't see any such activity going on...

B. Why do we need to be warned of such an activity?

C. To your point about the clarity act.. I tried in vain to answer my own question by seeking official Quebec transportation websites but couldn't find that sign anywhere :(

A. It is possible that the trees were just planted (and very small), that they were about to be planted and the sign was put up early, or that the plantation failed, all the trees died but the sign was not removed

B. You don't need to be warned for your protection, but for the protection of the trees. Young trees are fragile, so people driving their ATVs, Snowmobiles or any off-road vehicle right on top of the plantation would be bad. I've also seen those sign placed along roads by paper companies, probably for PR, because they want to show that they are re-planting trees in clear-cut areas.

C. I don't deny that clear information is often hard to find on government websites, be they municipal, provincial or federal. Quebec is no exception. But that's not at all what the Clarity act was about (the very short version is that it's about the federal government controlling what question the Quebec government can ask Quebec citizens in a referendum... but I'm not here to discuss politics.)

Edited by The red-haired witch

I saw the same signs on our way back to Ontario from Nova Scotia. I'm glad I had read this thread already :)

They seemed to be placed at random areas, some were near open fields, some were in areas that were already treed. With all the moose and deer crossing signs in the area it makes sense that they are warning of a tree crossing area. I agree it is probably for a plantation area, but it just didn't look like it to me.