I think the new Ape Reclaimed cache will continue as the third leg of the triad

It seems that there is a tribute cache in the works to be placed at the old Ape site (http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=277378) and while it will not have the special ape icon, I see it continuing as the third leg of the triad, much the same way the Original Stash Tribute Plaque has taken the place of the original cache.

I'm also willing to bet that not only will take away all of the petty thief’s self-satisfaction it’ll turn against him in a self-correcting karma sort of way, as despite his best idea and effort to inflict ongoing geopain on us we can instead move on with geolife with a cache that will continue on indefinitely with impunity. Maybe almost to the point of being a geomartyr.

Still not the same. It would never be the real triad for the geocoin.

I respect your opinion, but considering the original cache hasn't been available for some time and this replacement looks to be headed in the direction of being a BETTER cache than the APE cache I found in WA I have to say I disagree.

It makes total sense to me that this would continue on as the 3rd leg. It looks to be as close to the original experience as you could reasonably get. There is no special icon, but the rest (lid especially included) looks spot on. I have to extend my upmost caching respect to the CO. They done good :)

EDIT: I should mention, it makes complete sense to me that some wont feel it counts. I'm not going to pretend the icon and it's old age weren't part of why I found it.

Edited by d+n.s

I appreciate the effort Hypno is going to make with it, and it will be a cool cache destination no doubt. I am sure I will go there some day. Personally, I will just think its a cool tribute cache and not a piece of the triad though.

What makes a Triad? Without trying to debate the meaning of Groundspeak's blog describing the triad in somewhat overstated terms, Jeremy more recently stated that it was not an achievement, but simply an acknowledgment that many visitors to the Pacific Northwest made the three caches into a goal.

I agree with this to a point, since I completed the Triad without knowing it was any sort of an accomplishment or that it even existed. It never seemed to be an achievement to me. I visited each location for their own reasons. But if the notion of a Triad is something that is established over time, from the caching community ourselves, we will have to see how things evolve. Maybe a Triad that is recognized by the community is gone forever, maybe something new will be established as cachers gravitate to a location.

Until then, make your own Triad -- or any other numerical combination that is important to you. The tunnel is certainly a worthy destination in any event.

Edited by mulvaney

The thrill is gone

The thrill is gone away

The thrill is gone baby

The thrill is gone away

You know you done me wrong baby

And you'll be sorry someday

The thrill is gone

It's gone away from me

The thrill is gone baby

The thrill is gone away from me

Although I'll still live on

But so lonely I'll be

The thrill is gone

It's gone away for good

Oh, the thrill is gone baby

Baby its gone away for good

Someday I know I'll be over it all baby

Just like I know a man should

You know I'm free, free now baby

I'm free from your spell

I'm free, free now

I'm free from your spell

And now that it's over

All I can do is wish you well

I appreciate the effort Hypno is going to make with it, and it will be a cool cache destination no doubt. I am sure I will go there some day. Personally, I will just think its a cool tribute cache and not a piece of the triad though.

The un-original stash is a tribute, as well. ;)

So I originally wasn't going to reply to this thread but let me put out my view of it.

First: The Triad was created by cachers and can be continued by cachers in any way they see fit.

Second: If some who haven't completed the "old" triad can of their own volition choose to see Mission 9: Tunnel of Light Reclaimed as one of the legs of their own Triad.

Third: Most of the experience of finding this cache will be intact.

Forth: This isn't about the people who have already completed the "old" version of the Triad, this is about people who haven't. I belong to the former. I care much more about the perspective of the latter.

Fifth: The Triad was created by cachers and can be continued by cachers in any way they see fit.

Extraneous Note: If you don't think the Triad would work for you, say it. There is no reason to disrespect the excitement some people still may find through having the experience of coming up the Annette Lake Trail or through the Tunnel and enjoying the view and getting to find a similar cache in a very historic place for caching.

I certainly appreciate Hypno's contribution to the sport.

I know he has put an awful lot of work into this new/recycled hide.

When I originally found Ape 9 the tunnel was not open so I am looking

forward to walking the tunnel since it is now open (July 5th 2011)

It wont be quite the same level of prestige because you wont get the APE icon.

But I've heard many good things about the location in general and the tunnel in particular so whenever I get to Washington state I would like to visit there. I doubt I'm the only one. I suspect Triad 2.0 will be very popular.

But I've heard many good things about the location in general and the tunnel in particular so whenever I get to Washington state I would like to visit there. I doubt I'm the only one. I suspect Triad 2.0 will be very popular.

If I ever get to Washington State, and had the free time, I'd try to do the triad simply because they're three noteworthy locations. However, I won't be traveling 2600 miles or so just to get those three caches.

I'm interested to see how this thread pans out and if those if there is a correlation on an opinion on whether or not the Ape Reclaimed cache should be part of the triad and whether or not someone has previously completed the triad.

If I ever get to Washington State, and had the free time, I'd try to do the triad simply because they're three noteworthy locations. However, I won't be traveling 2600 miles or so just to get those three caches.

I'm interested to see how this thread pans out and if those if there is a correlation on an opinion on whether or not the Ape Reclaimed cache should be part of the triad and whether or not someone has previously completed the triad.

I'm curious too...

But also, I'm thinking this is something that will happen organically over the course of a few years. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I suspect the Triad won't be a "thing" anymore even though I think it should still be one.

5 years from now, I can't see people caring. Why? The icon man, I really think the icon helped give it some longevity and elevated it in the minds of many.

Sad IMO, because the people who find the new one will have a far superiour experience to the one that I had when I found it and got the icon with the tunnel closed. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by d+n.s