Wondering which "app" is best?

I'm getting ready to upgrade my cell phone, and am trying to decide which one to go with.... iphone, android, blackberry, etc.... has anyone used the app's that are available for the different phones out there now, and which do you find to be the best, or which would you steer clear from? I will basically use it as a backup to my Garmin Oregon if maybe I'm out and about somewhere and dont' have my gpsr with me. Thanks!

I'm getting ready to upgrade my cell phone, and am trying to decide which one to go with.... iphone, android, blackberry, etc.... has anyone used the app's that are available for the different phones out there now, and which do you find to be the best, or which would you steer clear from? I will basically use it as a backup to my Garmin Oregon if maybe I'm out and about somewhere and dont' have my gpsr with me. Thanks!

We use the c:geo app for the android. It is awesome and works great. At one time we did have trouble with it, but found out later that they were updating the app. Best of all, it's free! I would highly recommend this for you. Besides that, the android is a totally sweet phone!

I'm using the geocaching app for the iPhone and love it! Only downfall is the $9.99 price. A bit steep, but you get what you pay for. They're always updating it based on user feedback! I talked two people into it yesterday in Las Vegas! For what that's worth! ;-)

We use the c:geo app for the android. It is awesome and works great. At one time we did have trouble with it, but found out later that they were updating the app. Best of all, it's free! I would highly recommend this for you. Besides that, the android is a totally sweet phone!

I would not recommend this application. It violates the Terms Of Use that you agreed to when you signed up for your account. I expect shortly that it will again stop working when the site gets updated and since the author has quit supporting the app you will be left high and dry.

I use and am a big fan of the iPhone 4. It has many Geocaching apps you can use. The ones I most commonly use is the official Groundspeak application, Geosphere, and Geo Bucket. The iPhone also has a very high sensitivity antenna and is on par with my Oregon 450.

I use and am a big fan of the iPhone 4. It has many Geocaching apps you can use. The ones I most commonly use is the official Groundspeak application, Geosphere, and Geo Bucket. The iPhone also has a very high sensitivity antenna and is on par with my Oregon 450.

I'm in the same boat. I use an iPhone 4 - for the MAJORITY of my caching actually. Converted from a Garmin Colorado to iPhone 4.

My application use is 95% Geosphere, 5% official Groundspeak app - though that may change with the 4.5 update this week. Some nice features in that.

I'm in the same boat. I use an iPhone 4 - for the MAJORITY of my caching actually. Converted from a Garmin Colorado to iPhone 4.

My application use is 95% Geosphere, 5% official Groundspeak app - though that may change with the 4.5 update this week. Some nice features in that.

Ya, the main reason I was using Geosphere was because you could essentially do a PQ on the fly by sorting your caches as you go by type, difficulty, etc..... Now that the official app has this feature as well I suspect I will use it more often.

Ya, the main reason I was using Geosphere was because you could essentially do a PQ on the fly by sorting your caches as you go by type, difficulty, etc..... Now that the official app has this feature as well I suspect I will use it more often.

The _other_ reason I use Geosphere is for saving waypoints created - stages, redirects, finals and re-importing them into my GSAK database. But yeah with that filtering in the new app I'm half way to *dropping* my GSAK database. Once the site supports saving corrected coords and user created waypoints I'll be done (yeah right) with GSAK and PQs.

I would not recommend this application. It violates the Terms Of Use that you agreed to when you signed up for your account. I expect shortly that it will again stop working when the site gets updated and since the author has quit supporting the app you will be left high and dry.

Can I ask whats wrong with this app? How does it violate the terms of use?

I am very new to this and just surprised and interested.

We're not supposed to talk about it on the forums anymore. But there's a thread you can read.

Biggest problem with it now is that the developer abandoned it, and it's up to others to continue development. The next time Groundspeak makes a significant change to their website layout, the app will cease to function so it's a good idea to setup your geocaching workflow around another app.

From my experience the app that Groundspeak has to offer does not work for me. I bought a smart phone mainly for the purpose of having the App available to me while I'm out caching. It has not been a pleasant experience for me at all.

Problem #1 No matter how I try, I cannot get the app to disregard showing my finds. Yes, it shows me logged in. It shows my total finds. But, I've tried to have it not show my finds, but it still does. This would be great it I was out of town where the caches wouldnt be on my found list. But, when I'm home and I want to go out for a few quick finds, well guess what, I have to scroll and scroll just to find one that doesnt have a checkmark by it.

So, a fix for that is to be a premium member ($30 a year). use the app ($10), download a query and then wait an average of an hour for the query to load to your phone. This is not guarenteed to work either. If you ARE successful in getting the query to your phone, then you can use offline lists because you filtered out your finds yourself.

What I finally did was to create smaller queries (under 200 caches) and then download them to my phone. The success rate on a shorter download is better in my experience. I then use to offline list option.

What bothers me the most about this entire experience, is the cost. I bought the phone, I enrolled in a data plan, I am a premium member, I paid for the app.......And I am no better off than before.

Your experience may be different, but who knows.

Edited by Berta, Nick and Zoey

From my experience the app that Groundspeak has to offer does not work for me. I bought a smart phone mainly for the purpose of having the App available to me while I'm out caching. It has not been a pleasant experience for me at all.

Problem #1 No matter how I try, I cannot get the app to disregard showing my finds. Yes, it shows me logged in. It shows my total finds. But, I've tried to have it not show my finds, but it still does. This would be great it I was out of town where the caches wouldnt be on my found list. But, when I'm home and I want to go out for a few quick finds, well guess what, I have to scroll and scroll just to find one that doesnt have a checkmark by it.

So, a fix for that is to be a premium member ($30 a year). use the app ($10), download a query and then wait an average of an hour for the query to load to your phone. This is not guarenteed to work either. If you ARE successful in getting the query to your phone, then you can use offline lists because you filtered out your finds yourself.

What I finally did was to create smaller queries (under 200 caches) and then download them to my phone. The success rate on a shorter download is better in my experience. I then use to offline list option.

What bothers me the most about this entire experience, is the cost. I bought the phone, I enrolled in a data plan, I am a premium member, I paid for the app.......And I am no better off than before.

I use this app as well as some friends and none of us have had this issue. Have you tried uninstall/reinstalling the app? If not it was recommended with the latest update. Other than that the only other thing I can think is to look in the settings (menu->settings) and set "My finds" to "exclude."

Failing that have you reported the bug in the iPhone forum? Since this is the first I have heard about the issue the devs. may not even know about it.

I use a Motorola Atrix and both c:geo and the official app. I really like the Android phone, it works great, and now that the official app has been upgraded a bit, it is the best in my humble opinion. I really like the ability to filter friends finds when we are caching together.

I use this app as well as some friends and none of us have had this issue. Have you tried uninstall/reinstalling the app? If not it was recommended with the latest update. Other than that the only other thing I can think is to look in the settings (menu->settings) and set "My finds" to "exclude."

Failing that have you reported the bug in the iPhone forum? Since this is the first I have heard about the issue the devs. may not even know about it.

I think the first question is, is he using an iPhone? The official app is also available on Android and Windows Phone 7 ....

I think the first question is, is he using an iPhone? The official app is also available on Android and Windows Phone 7 ....

You're right. I just assumed.....and you know what they say when you assume....

We're not supposed to talk about it on the forums anymore. But there's a thread you can read.

Biggest problem with it now is that the developer abandoned it, and it's up to others to continue development. The next time Groundspeak makes a significant change to their website layout, the app will cease to function so it's a good idea to setup your geocaching workflow around another app.

The app was taken over by a new group of developers shortly after carnero announced he would no longer support the app. As far as violating the TOU is concerned, GS, in the past, has accused the app of "scraping" the site, but they also accused the greasemonkey script of crashing the servers.

The "forum gods" like throwing the "identify as browser" option in the settings as "proof" it is "scraping", but all that option allows you to do is open links on your phone in c:geo, it identifies the app to the phone as browser, not to the servers as a browser.

According to Carnero (the original app developer), the ONLY complaint he received from GS was using their icons, which he changed at their request.

Find a phone you like, then find an app you like.

The app was taken over by a new group of developers shortly after carnero announced he would no longer support the app. As far as violating the TOU is concerned, GS, in the past, has accused the app of "scraping" the site, but they also accused the greasemonkey script of crashing the servers.

The "forum gods" like throwing the "identify as browser" option in the settings as "proof" it is "scraping", but all that option allows you to do is open links on your phone in c:geo, it identifies the app to the phone as browser, not to the servers as a browser.

According to Carnero (the original app developer), the ONLY complaint he received from GS was using their icons, which he changed at their request.

Read the last post in that thread I linked to. This thread will get locked if we turn it into another c:geo thread.

I agree with your statement though - first pick your phone, then pick your app. Chances are you will want to do more than just geocache on your phone so make sure the device is a total fit.

There are decent apps for iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 7. There are apps for Blackberry too (note how I didn't say "decent" though but that's just my opinion as one who carries an iPhone 4 and a Blackberry Bold 9700)

If c:geo does not scrape the site then why does it break every time the site does a major update and changes the HTML code?

The phone I am using is in fact an Android based phone running 2.0.3.

I did as one person suggested. I uninstalled the geocaching app. and reinstalled it. Yet, the same exact conditions exist. I cannot filter out my finds no matter how hard I try.