iPhone v4.5 Release Notes

A new update to the Geocaching for iPhone Application is now available in the iTunes Store.

Previous version release notes

Updates include:

• New Advanced Search to filter by location, cache type, difficulty/terrain, keyword, exclude your finds, exclude finds for up to 4 friends, and Premium caches
  • Sync Personal Cache Notes between the website and your iPhone
  • Create multiple offline cache lists to plan outings; useful when you may be travelling outside network coverage
  • Download Pocket Queries to the iPhone to view cache details, images, and map tiles offline
  • Numerous bug fixes to address performance and reliability

Many thanks to all geocachers who have provided feedback on User Voice. Happy Geocaching!

Unfortunately, for some reason, you need iOS4 for this update. Since I am using an iPhone 3G, I didn't upgrade to iOS4. Running iOS4 on the (two years!) old 3G is terrible! So, I cannot upgrade to the latest version of this application. What functions in the app require the usage of iOS4? Is it not possible to adapt it in a way that users of the older iPhone also can run this update?

NEVERMIND ~ The update just came through. Thanks!

I'm trying to update from my iPhone and the PC desktop to which both say UP TO DATE at version 4.2.2 so how do I get the update, do you have to REPURCHASE the app for another $10? Been trying for four hours. Thanks for any help.

Edited by SusanVette

Some bugs:

1. Additional Waypoints in cache description not shown any more (no way to see them any more)

2. "Overview" of a cache page: Numbers of total images not shown any more

Before: "Fotos (4)"

Now: "Fotos"

3. When opening "View at Geocaching.com", the user isn't logged in automatically any more

4. Favpoints not showing anywhere... hey, that's not so difficulty :-(

After installing the update, my app simply spins on the splash screen with the message "Updating Database for v4.5..." It's been doing that all night. I've rebooted and tried everything I can think of. What's going on?

Mine does the same as PDubATX. It gives me the circling busy symbol and continually says"Updaiting Database for v4.5

It's been doing this for over 1.5 hours now. Now how do I get the old version to work again. I've only had this app for one week now and hopefully this doesn't happen often.

After installing the update, my app simply spins on the splash screen with the message "Updating Database for v4.5..." It's been doing that all night. I've rebooted and tried everything I can think of. What's going on?

I updated the iphone app and I really like the saved PQs that can be used offline. Being that I do a lot of my caching in the 2% that AT&T doesn't cover, I see where this will come in handy. Now if they can figure out how to list my hides as owner verses leaving them like an unfound geo. That way I don't have to go through a couple of pages before I get to the next available cache.

I am also experiencing that it says "updating database for v4.5". I updated it last night and in the morning it was still doing the same thing. Does someone knwo what the problem is? I really hope that this can be fixed soon!

Mine does the same as PDubATX. It gives me the circling busy symbol and continually says"Updaiting Database for v4.5

It's been doing this for over 1.5 hours now. Now how do I get the old version to work again. I've only had this app for one week now and hopefully this doesn't happen often.

I've updated to V4.5 on my Iphone 4 running iOS 4.3.3 8J2 and I get no results when searching for caches, on 3G or on Wireless.

I've emailed tech support and await reply, the searches worked fine last night on my home wireless, but nothing is working search-wise this morning, for me or for a friend, guyl79.

I can only think, that with the other posters mentioning the stuck 'updating' issue, that something in the database is broken.

Here's hoping they fix it soon, I was planning to try to cache every day this month, but that looks like it's out of the window now.

Khakipillowslip

The new version 4.5 contains some bugs:

1. Adding cache to an offline cache list.

Adding a cache to an offline cache list results very often in application crash.

Last message was "Lade Geocaches herunter"

2. Advanced Search

Advance search for cache name works not as expected.

The search on the website for cachename "Deutschlandtour" shows 18 hits.

The same search on iPhone shows only 2 near my current position.

There is no possibility to increase the search radius.

3. Offline Cache lists

If a cache is in more than one online cache lists it is not possible to remove them from both caches in one step.

It is not possible to see if a cache is assigned to more than one cache when i open the cache.

If I search for a nearby cache i can not see that the cache is already assigned to an offline cache list and that all information are allready downloaded.

4. Sync Personal Cache Notes

All old personel notes have additional lines

- local notes:

- notes on the server:

All new notes are not saved when I start with the first line in this field

If I run in offline mode all notes are duplicated when i open and close the notes.

Where can i see the notes on the website ???

My app was working perfectly until I updated it. It now won't find a single cache nearby however I search for one. I have exhausted every avenue to get the app to find them. Somebody please help! It looks like a good update if it would only find a cache!

I was looking for a way to search by keyword/name for quite some time already so happy that this is finally in the app. Unfortunately there's no result; if I search on cache name I get no result at all. Does it need an exact match or will it search for pattern?

Hello,

first feedback:

+ Serious speed improvement! Thanks

+ Lists from GC.com are now synced

+ Entries of Lists can be modified in the App as well

+ Advanced search is there

+ Smart handling of PQs incl. Maps

- Dates in the logs are (null) right now (DB update problem?) Can be manually updated per cache

- New Pocket queries can't be downloaded anymore? This does work, except own founds...

- Favorites of the App are still not backuped on GC.com?!

- Still not visit log type for Trackables

In total, I can't report the issues mentioned above - update of DB took a while right, but not more than 5 Minutes...

Iphone 3Gs with iOS 4.3.3. installed

Techl

PS: For me the Advanced search does function - 30 hits with adapted default settings - in Hamburg, Germany

Edited by Techl

The new version 4.5 contains some bugs:

1. Adding cache to an offline cache list.

Adding a cache to an offline cache list results very often in application crash.

Last message was "Lade Geocaches herunter"

--> could not reproduce it

2. Advanced Search

Advance search for cache name works not as expected.

The search on the website for cachename "Deutschlandtour" shows 18 hits.

The same search on iPhone shows only 2 near my current position.

There is no possibility to increase the search radius.

--> this is right, as the "current place" is preset, you will see only the near distance caches

3. Offline Cache lists

If a cache is in more than one online cache lists it is not possible to remove them from both caches in one step.

--> I would say feature request, no bug, isn't it?

It is not possible to see if a cache is assigned to more than one cache when i open the cache.

--> I guess you wanted to say: "if a cache is assigned to more than one list"

If I search for a nearby cache i can not see that the cache is already assigned to an offline cache list and that all information are allready downloaded.

4. Sync Personal Cache Notes

All old personel notes have additional lines

- local notes:

- notes on the server:

All new notes are not saved when I start with the first line in this field

If I run in offline mode all notes are duplicated when i open and close the notes.

Where can i see the notes on the website ???

This depends on the amount of downloaded offline data you had before I guess. I had 10 meg of local data and it took an hour or so with an iphone 4. My son had just 10 caches on his iPhone 3G and it took 10 min or less.

Overall, I find this to be a solid step in the right direction, but there are still some glaring issues, most notably:

1. The search radius on both the basic search and advanced search is ridiculously small (I believe it's around 10 miles). If users filter out their finds and have found everything in a 10 mile radius, it will return zero results. This is nuts. Either (a) the search radius needs to me made adjustable by users (on a slider in the settings or a criteria in advanced search) to between, at least 10 & 50 miles, or ( b ) the default radius needs to be dramatically increased to 40-50 miles in the API. As it is now, though, the 10-mile radius essential renders the cool new search features useless.

2. Trackables support is sill terrible. At a bare minimum, "visited" functionality, edit log on drops option, and add photos to retrieve/visited/drop needs to be implemented. It shouldn't be that tough, and as it is, we're being forced to log an action twice -- once on the app and once on the site -- in order to properly log trackables.

Good update, but the above problems really diminish it's value. And, no, I do not believe these are "feature requests". As for the search radius issue, it so dramatically impacts the ability to effectively use the search function that it's properly a bug. As for the trackables issue, the irrational exclusion of these features is, at this point, a bug.

Thanks.

--Matt

Edited by Team Van Dyk

NEVERMIND ~ The update just came through. Thanks!

I'm trying to update from my iPhone and the PC desktop to which both say UP TO DATE at version 4.2.2 so how do I get the update, do you have to REPURCHASE the app for another $10? Been trying for four hours. Thanks for any help.

Agreed, I have exactly the same issue and I belive this is not a feature

I try a basic search for nearby caches and I get "No Results, No geocaches were found".

What has just happened? Is this a bug? I've reinstalled, rebooted and tweaked every setting i can find.

Please help...

I try a basic search for nearby caches and I get "No Results, No geocaches were found".

What has just happened? Is this a bug? I've reinstalled, rebooted and tweaked every setting i can find.

Please help...

See point one in my post 2 above yours. I'm guessing you have your finds "hidden" and you've found everything w/in a 10-mile radius of the location from which your search was conducted.

While I'm glad to see the filter feature and notes sync feature added overall I am very disappointing in the new update. The search radius is far to small in losing the ability to add to the search (for example I could add the next 30 caches) is very frustrating. Also the new pocket query download system is much much slower than the old version and doesn't seem to offer any benefit that would make this added time worth it. If it was possible I would prefer to downgrade to the previous version. I hope that the search radius issue can be fixed.

Please help...

See point one in my post 2 above yours. I'm guessing you have your finds "hidden" and you've found everything w/in a 10-mile radius of the location from which your search was conducted.

I have the same "No Results, No geocaches were found". And the finds "hidden" / search radius possibility isn't the solve (just double-checked on GC.com, my nearest unfound is the 19th nearest cache to where I am and it is considerably less than 10 miles away)

Also having problems with UK postcodes. Typing my home postcode into GC.com performs an accurate search, typing it into the app returns nothing. Can the two systems really be using different postcode lookup tables?

I try a basic search for nearby caches and I get "No Results, No geocaches were found".What has just happened? Is this a bug? I've reinstalled, rebooted and tweaked every setting i can find.Please help...

There is a puzzle cache near to my house that I haven't done yet amongst a few others and my phone still says 'No Geocaches found'. I have also re-installed it but it still does the same. So frustrating!

Since updating I can no longer log in with the app! It asks for my login details, shows me a page to accept a connection to geocaching.com, and then a big error pops up from the website by the looks of it saying there was a connection error.

I have tried many times, power cycling the phone too.

How can I go back to the old version? I want to go caching!

We are aware of this bug and are working actively towards resolving it

Will update this thread as soon as it is fixed

Since updating I can no longer log in with the app! It asks for my login details, shows me a page to accept a connection to geocaching.com, and then a big error pops up from the website by the looks of it saying there was a connection error.

Please help...

No that's not it I'm afraid. There are plenty around me that I have't got. I downloaded the geocache INTRO app to test and that works just fine.

My finds are not hidden either.

I'm in the UK... I wonder if that is the problem?

Both me and my fiancée is having great issues with this new version!

I run on iPhone 4 32GB with iOS 5 beta 2, and she on iPhone 4 16Gb with latest iOS 4.

At first the app worked fine, then when we started the app aprox 1-2hrs later we got the following message when trying to access anything: "Session Has Expired. Please log in to connect to Geocaching.com"

Alright we thought, that really anoying to have to sign in every now and then....

So we went into Menu and Setting only to find the text "Logged in as Webbson"!.

When we then press the Log In button, a gray page is opened with a loading symbol. And most of the times this page just quits loading and gets gray. Even with good 3G coverage!

And in some cases when there is a login page showed it only leads to a gray page when trying to login.

Please fix this back to the old way it worked where you could stay logged on forever, it is really anoying the way it acts now. Especially when you can't always login.

Edited by Webbson

I have an iPhone 3gs running iOS5 beta 2 - installing the new software update has left me in a state where I cannot log in. The log in screen is solid grey and never lets me put in a username/pw. Tried installing and removing the software several times with no luck.

I have an iPhone 3gs running iOS5 beta 2 - installing the new software update has left me in a state where I cannot log in. The log in screen is solid grey and never lets me put in a username/pw. Tried installing and removing the software several times with no luck.

I have the iPhone4 and have the same problem. Will not log in and screen is grey. I tried on iPad2 and same problem.

UPDATE: now it will try to log in and asks for permission on the next screen, once I ALLOW permission it goes to a error page with a link to click on and the link takes me to another 403 error. I will need to roll back to the old version to use the program I guess.

Edited by HansenFolk

There are a couple reasons that you might see "No Geocaches Found"

1. You are near the Prime Meridian: If you search crosses the line at 00 longitude there is a bug where no results are returned. We are working on a solution that does not require a new update to the app, so this should be available very shortly. I suggest you use the advanced search and move your location slightly to get results.

2. Your search filter is too restrictive: If you hide your finds or other cache types, it is possible that no results will be returned within the default 10 mile radius. Expand your search criteria and try again. We plan to give you the option to expand your search radius when the error occurs so you don't have to back out and pick another location.

Unfortunately, for some reason, you need iOS4 for this update. Since I am using an iPhone 3G, I didn't upgrade to iOS4. Running iOS4 on the (two years!) old 3G is terrible! So, I cannot upgrade to the latest version of this application. What functions in the app require the usage of iOS4? Is it not possible to adapt it in a way that users of the older iPhone also can run this update?

I'm running iOS4 on my old iPhone 3G, I updated the latest update of the Geocaching App today June 6th, and now I can't even sign in again. So updating on iOS4 may not resolve your problem.

A fix has been deployed for the Failed login issues. Please let us know if you still experience any failures while logging in

We are aware of this bug and are working actively towards resolving it

Will update this thread as soon as it is fixed

I run on iPhone 4 32GB with iOS 5 beta 2, and she on iPhone 4 16Gb with latest iOS 4.

At first the app worked fine, then when we started the app aprox 1-2hrs later we got the following message when trying to access anything: "Session Has Expired. Please log in to connect to Geocaching.com"

This bug is related to the fact you are both using the same Geocaching.com account on two different iPhones. We are currently working on a solution to this issue. Please stand by!

This bug is related to the fact you are both using the same Geocaching.com account on two different iPhones. We are currently working on a solution to this issue. Please stand by!

We have now implemented the change that will allow you to log on with the same account on multiple iPhones (or other devices). Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

UPDATE: It appears to be working now. I logged in and can find nearby caches. Thanks!

Can one of the 3 lackeys that weighed in here please give us a status report on the search radius and trackables issues discussed here: http://forums.Ground...dpost&p=4766422

Thanks.

The changes in the search behavior were a result in the change to the new API, which caps the search radius. If you found most or all of the caches in that radius (which was 10 miles), the search would return few or no caches. This radius has now been expanded to 35 miles, so this should no longer be an issue for most cachers. Further muddying this issue was a bug that caused searches that crossed the Prime Meridian to break, resulting in no returned caches for those users in close proximity to the PM (which meant a significant number of UK cachers and others).

Trackable dipping is currently under development in the app.

If I log my founds on the iphone they don't get added to my cachelist on the website. The one I logged yesterday doesn't still appear there. Something seems to go wrong with the interface between the new updated app and geocaching.com?!?

This was never an issue before. Can you help me?

Edited by jerower

...Further muddying this issue was a bug that caused searches that crossed the Prime Meridian to break, resulting in no returned caches for those users in close proximity to the PM (which meant a significant number of UK cachers and others) ...

This also seems to have fixed the UK postcodes problem that I had reported as well. My office address and home address are both <4mls from the Prime Meridian and it was local postcodes in those areas that I was using. Unlucky I guess.

Congratulations the app now works in London !!

I have 4 Pocket Queries at geocaching.com Website, but the APP only shows up 2 of them. I am not talking about the "Found"-PQ.

I miss a normal PQ with 50 items (another with 57 is in the list)

I miss a PQ created from a route.

Same here: I am user of an iPhone2 with OS3.1.3

Not knowing the need of OS4, I started the iTunes download and now the old version of GC-App is lost. Backup did not restore the old version.

Well done, Groundspeak - please offer a way to downgrade or fix the V4.5 to run on OS3, please!

I have observed two bugs so far:

Bug #1

1. Go to Advanced Search.

2. Set all parameters to their defaults.

3. Deselect all cache sizes.

4. Select only "small" caches.

5. Click the Search button.

6. You will receive only "micro" caches, not "small" caches.

Bug #2

1. Go to Advanced Search.

2. Set some very specific parameters (it doesn't matter what).

3. Click the Search button.

4. Click the "view on map" icon.

5. Click the Search button.

6. Click "Get Next 20 Results"

7. You will receive results that don't match the Advanced Search parameters specified earlier.