Poor location choice for cache

Team_State

I came across a cache 7 weeks back, that was place in an old dumping ground of scrap metal. The cache was placed inside some of the scarp metal. To me this seems like a very poor choice of location. My found log of this cache stated:

Be sure you are up to date on your tetanus shots. There is a lot of rusty metal here in this old dumping grounds. This is the first time I would have to say "please move the cache to new spot" there is so many great places along these bike trails.

Of coarse the cache owner prompltly deleted my log enter. I emailed the cache owner the following:

I don't know why you deleted my cache log for Rusty Hole. Please explain.

Most cache owners appriciate both positive and negitive feedback on there caches. It helps for future caches to make our sport booth fun and reasonably safe.

Received no responce from CO. I then email the reviewer of the cache all the info, he stated I don't settle disputes between cachers.

I don't look as this as a dispute, but as a unsafe cache. This is supose to be a family friendly sport/hobby. I love a cache with a little danger surounding it, as long as the cache description gives warning.

Ok I'll stop venting. What does the geocaching community thing

Team_State

Geocaching is not always going to take you a family friendly area. You as the adult have to use your judgment as to if you should hunt for a particular cache.

While I can see the CO's perspective I can also see your perspective. In this case I'd say re-log the cache with nothing more then TNLN- signed log.

you can use this form to to contact Groundspeak and explain the situation, they will reinstate your log

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request

we had logs deleted by a spiteful CO and we kept logging again, and he deleted again so eventually we contacted GC

while re-logging i kept posting screen shots of all the logs he deleted :anibad:

nobody has a right to delete your log because you commented on their poor choices

While I can see the CO's perspective

and what would that be?

Edited by t4e

Not all caches are supposed to be accessible and safe to everybody. I've done plenty of caches on the top of trees, sides of cliffs, on a zip line 80 feet over the ground, in caves, etc ...

If you don't like a cache, skip it.

I'm not defending their choice of location, or their behavior, but don't expect a cache to be moved or archived because it may be unsafe.

You as the adult have to use your judgment as to if you should hunt for a particular cache.

How are you going to do that if the CO leaves out / deletes information that would help you use your judgement?

Edited by Lone R

You as the adult have to use your judgment as to if you should hunt for a particular cache.

How are you going to do that if the CO leaves out / deletes information that would help you use your judgement?

Even once you get to GZ you still make a choice to search, you can always walk away.

Even once you get to GZ you still make a choice to search, you can always walk away.

It sure would be nice not to waste time driving to and then hiking to the rusty pile of waste, I may end up missing out on some better caches because I spent 45 minutes going to a cache I know I wouldn't bother with if I read the OPs log about a dump site and needing a tetanus shot.

It sure would be nice not to waste time driving to and then hiking to the rusty pile of waste, I may end up missing out on some better caches because I spent 45 minutes going to a cache I know I wouldn't bother with if I read the OPs log about a dump site and needing a tetanus shot.

It sure would be nice to know that every cache you choose to go for matches your description of a good cache before you head out, but we all know it doesn't work that way.

I do not know what inspires some people to hide caches in some locations -- from areas where garbage has been dumped to parking lots. I can see what motivates people to place caches high in a tree or along the sides of a cliff. But in both cases my reaction is the same -- if I am not having fun I see no reason to look for a container and if I am not comfortable in searching, I do not do it. There are lots of caches in the world and we all draw the line differently.

We've hidden a cache in a location badly in need of CITO, specifically because it needed the CITO & it was otherwise a well wooded area with a pretty clear path. Hopefully it will receive the attention that's needed & get tidied up a little. That's what we consider that cache's purpose. Of course, it's the first sentence on the cache page: "this area could really use some CITO. Please do bring a bag for it."

We don't have many caches out, but we have others in cool places with other purposes.. Could that be the CO's purpose?

yeah, just re-log the find as TNLN SL TFTC FOUND or whatever u want. Theres a couple here that hides pretty munch only in dumpy areas. Not even for CITO, i guess they are just kind of trashy people that are attracted to trashy areas. But thats just my opinion about them. We dont get along at all, they refuse to search for any of my caches. I find theres just because they are all quick PnGs and easy number boosters. All i ever say in the logs is FOUND or TFTC. Which is against my own preaching. I hate people that leave short logs, but i also put alot of thought and creativity into almost all of my hides.