Goals met at Geowoodstock 9

We actually acomplished everything we aimed for.

We hit every Delorme page, city and county on our route up and back.

We found at least 100 caches in one day (101)

Our first mega-event.

And we found 11 cache types in one day (including a benchmark).

What were your goals going to PA over the weekend? Did you accomplish them?

Let's see....

1) Eat as much good food along the way as possible - Check

Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse

Beef on Weck in Buffalo

Wings at Anchor Bar in Bufflao

Spiedies in Binghamton

Steamed burgers at Ted's in Meridan

2) Have fun along the way with my friends - Check (in spades!)

3) Find some caches - Check

Yep...goals were met.

My goal was to meet other cachers and I achieved that. I met a few forum regulars in person for the first time (Hi Keystone, Gof, Alabama Rambler, etc.!), some caching legends like JoeGPS, Oldhippy & Granny, and Show Me The Cache, and numerous other cachers, some old friends and some who I met for the first time.

I was disappointed that I missed some others. I saw some attended logs from people I never ran into (where were you all day Mr. Yuck?). Not for lack of trying though. At one point I think I circled the grounds about 6 consecutive times checking out every name badge hoping to see a familiar name.

Caching was not one of my goals. I only found one non event cache out of the 4 days I was there (an awesome 4/4 multi that involved finding stages in two caves) and DNFed another (Mine was the only DNF after hundreds of finds this weekend, which confirms my status as the World's Worst Geocacher).

One achievement that I could have done without was obtaining the worst case of sunburn that I've had in probably 30 years. I wandered the grounds hatless (for most of the day), without sunscreen while taking Doxycycline for Lyme. Bad choice for my fair Irish skin.

I accomplished my goal of muzzling GOF. Moderating the forums should be a lot easier now. It was worth the trip, and worth buying the duct tape and string.

I wish I saw that. When I saw him he had on the tinfoil satellite hat. Come to think of it ,,, he sounded the same though :laughing:

I was disappointed that I missed some others. I saw some attended logs from people I never ran into (where were you all day Mr. Yuck?).

We were there from 12- 4 Then we met some guy from California named Al with a bazillion finds. We did the Spongebob caches with him. Talked some hockey with MtnMan ( Go Jets Go ) :unsure:

Met most of my goals. Found a cache in 8 new states (I now have at least one find in every state east of the Mississippi). Found 4 caches that are the oldest ones in their respective states. Finished off a challenge cache or two. Had some pretty good chow along the way (pepperoni buns in WV, cheesesteak at Tony Lukes in Philly, fried clams on the north shore of MA, a hot lobster roll in CT, a burger from Louis' Lunch in CT, wings from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY). Caught up with some forum acquaintances and met a couple for the first time too (including briansnat). The only thing I wanted to do and missed doing was upping my total states cached in one day. I've done 7 and was going to try for 9 but was just having too much fun along the way to give it a really good shot. That'll just have to wait for some other time. :)

Met most of my goals. Found a cache in 8 new states (I now have at least one find in every state east of the Mississippi). Found 4 caches that are the oldest ones in their respective states. Finished off a challenge cache or two. Had some pretty good chow along the way (pepperoni buns in WV, cheesesteak at Tony Lukes in Philly, fried clams on the north shore of MA, a hot lobster roll in CT, a burger from Louis' Lunch in CT, wings from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY). Caught up with some forum acquaintances and met a couple for the first time too (including briansnat). The only thing I wanted to do and missed doing was upping my total states cached in one day. I've done 7 and was going to try for 9 but was just having too much fun along the way to give it a really good shot. That'll just have to wait for some other time. :)

I received a nice little signature item from Corp of Discovery that will come in mighty handy. Thanks!

We hit 1000 caches at Geowoodstock...that was our big goal and we did about 65 C&D over 5 days to make it happen.

We also had some great food...Sandwiches at Primanti Bros in Pittsburgh, Lube Wings and Lake Perch in Erie, fantastic Greek food at Zoukoutis in Niagara Falls...yum.

We added a state and a country to our statistics, and got the oldest cache in PA...considered driving over to The Spot but chickened out.

We may have infected #2 son and his girlfriend with the geocaching bug...we can only hope!

Can't wait for Geowoodstock X!!

I measure the fun by the number of smiles I can put on people's faces.

I feel very successful in that regard. :grin:

It was fun to be a volunteer once again. It is a great way to meet more and more people. Once again I get a great job, working with my wife around the log log and maps and giving a little relief to the two folks working there. They were such hard workers and Sarge was really funny as he was passing out the pushpins. My wife had nothing but great things to say about him.

The event has grown so large that it is hard to spend enough time with everyone. I even took Tina to the hotel and returned back to the event site and chatted some more with a few pals in the campground. She was just too tired after the long day. I ended up chatting more than looking/trading at the coin event that night. Even little gatherings at the Holiday Inn were great, though I did not get to chat with some folks like I wanted. (Missed you the last night Deermark. Turned around and your group was gone. Awesome to come back to your area again.)

Gof, you are as much of a treat in person as you are in the forums. Your hat was priceless. Saberfan7, ouch! Great to meet you. briansnat, that's why I wear my Real Deal Brazil hat all day. C of D, thanks for the time and I hope I get to that cache. So funny that I wasn't the only one who ate at Anchor Bar. Niagara Falls, wow factor and then some. If you are a friend on Facebook, you see that even my flight home was a laugh a minute ride. I bet Keystone provided the superglue to the flight attendants.

I would also like to give a sincere thanks to all that have and will be logging my new personal travel bug. As always, as long as I can put a smile on your face it is all worth it.

Yeah, we found some caches and missed some caches. Love putting more dots on the map.

JoGPS, thank you. See you in Sellersburg my friend.

My goal was to meet other cachers and I achieved that. I met a few forum regulars in person for the first time (Hi Keystone, Gof, Alabama Rambler, etc.!), some caching legends like JoeGPS, Oldhippy & Granny, and Show Me The Cache, and numerous other cachers, some old friends and some who I met for the first time.

I was disappointed that I missed some others. I saw some attended logs from people I never ran into (where were you all day Mr. Yuck?). Not for lack of trying though. At one point I think I circled the grounds about 6 consecutive times checking out every name badge hoping to see a familiar name.

Well, I was an 80 mile away day-tripper, so I was only there from noon-4:00 PM. Should have been 11:45, but there was a little wrong turn there. I also neglected to wear a name tag for the first hour or so, because I wasn't putting that scratchy lanyard around my neck on that hot, humid day, and had to grab one of the stick-on's. I suppose my goal was to attend a Geowoodstock, as a guy with a non-Geocaching wife, and two kids who increasingly lose interest as they get older. Boy, if I had stumbled on Keystone, I'll bet I would have been duck-taped faster than Gof. Did the Sponge Bob series on State Gamelands #143 at 4:00, and met arguably the most famous of all Geocachers, Alamogul, who found the series with my party. And I can verify his wife hates Geocaching too, so I feel much better now.

I didn't really have any goals set, save for getting there and surviving the experience. Regardless, I accomplished a lot:

• Take my first days off this year.
  • Find several Wherigo cartridges.
  • Meet as many cachers as I can and get back in touch with those I haven't seen in a while. It's Geowoodstock, so this is a given success. This year, though, was the first year someone hasn't come up to me and identified me as the person who scared the mess out of their group at a night cache during GW5. Too bad; I guess I'll have to scare more people at night again.
  • Do not cache alone. I ended up caching with several others and was only alone for half an hour when I first arrived.
  • Find a few old caches. I found the oldest in PA and NY.
  • Cache in Ontario.
  • Find several caches. I think I found 350 on the trip, which might put me over 22K.
  • Do a numbers run. We cached from noon until 10PM and found around 188 caches. Why not start earlier? We arrived at the hotel at 4AM, that's why.
  • Give two Wherigo presentations at GW IX. I can't tell you what else went on at the event because that's all I focused on. As for success or failure, the only way to judge this is if it benefited others--and there isn't any way for me to tell.
  • I found caches of many difficulty and terrain levels, from a 1/1 to a 5/5, several ones with a difficulty 3+. By far, this trip has had the most varied cache ratings I've found in a long time.
  • Cache Across America: NY

My current goals are:

• Catch up on sleep.
  • Log all the caches I've found since the last week or two of May.
  • Avoid logging caches because it takes too long to write a few paragraphs per cache.

I really don't set goals for these type of things. I had hopes of meeting some of the people who share these forums. That was a realized hope and I was glad to meet those of you I had the good fortune to cross paths with. (I won't list the names because I know darn well I'd forget to list someone. I have a memory like a steel trap. Old, rusty, and don't hold noth'n.) I like to see people smile and laugh. Between my odd sense of humor and strange hat I think I managed to make more than a few folks chuckle. I don't really care if they were laughing with me or at me as long as they were laughing. :laughing:

Having the campgrounds right there at the event site was great! It was like the event started when I got there on Thursday and never ended until I left on Monday.It was exhausting, but fun.

I measure the fun by the number of smiles I can put on people's faces.

I feel very successful in that regard. :grin:

It was fun to be a volunteer once again. It is a great way to meet more and more people. Once again I get a great job, working with my wife around the log log and maps and giving a little relief to the two folks working there. They were such hard workers and Sarge was really funny as he was passing out the pushpins. My wife had nothing but great things to say about him.

The event has grown so large that it is hard to spend enough time with everyone. I even took Tina to the hotel and returned back to the event site and chatted some more with a few pals in the campground. She was just too tired after the long day. I ended up chatting more than looking/trading at the coin event that night. Even little gatherings at the Holiday Inn were great, though I did not get to chat with some folks like I wanted. (Missed you the last night Deermark. Turned around and your group was gone. Awesome to come back to your area again.)

Gof, you are as much of a treat in person as you are in the forums. Your hat was priceless. Saberfan7, ouch! Great to meet you. briansnat, that's why I wear my Real Deal Brazil hat all day. C of D, thanks for the time and I hope I get to that cache. So funny that I wasn't the only one who ate at Anchor Bar. Niagara Falls, wow factor and then some. If you are a friend on Facebook, you see that even my flight home was a laugh a minute ride. I bet Keystone provided the superglue to the flight attendants.

I would also like to give a sincere thanks to all that have and will be logging my new personal travel bug. As always, as long as I can put a smile on your face it is all worth it.

Yeah, we found some caches and missed some caches. Love putting more dots on the map.

JoGPS, thank you. See you in Sellersburg my friend.

Have I logged your tb? What is it?

My goals for last weekend were to attend the Friday and Saturday events. And once I found out where the lighthouse depicted in the PT was located, additional goal was to visit the lighthouse. The rest of the time was spent wandering around the event grounds meeting other geocachers.

One of my goals was to have my photo taken with Signal, but it also turned out to be my biggest disappointment. I did indeed find Signal and my wife and I had our photo taken with him. But while posing for the shot I brushed up against him and noticed that he was made of cloth. It is a costume!!! Signal is not real, he's a fake, phony and a fraud. I've never been so disappointed in all my life. You can see the look on my face.

27c6c4bd-a7ae-4329-893d-1333c882caca.jpg

Edited by briansnat

One of my goals was to have my photo taken with Signal, but it also turned out to be my biggest disappointment. I did indeed find Signal and my wife and I had our photo taken with him. But while posing for the shot I brushed up against him and noticed that he was made of cloth. It is a costume!!! Signal is not real, he's a fake, phony and a fraud. I've never been so disappointed in all my life. You can see the look on my face.

:laughing: You look so upset.

Wait until he finds out there is no cash prize for being cacher of the year five times.

Wait until he finds out there is no cash prize for being cacher of the year five times.

WHAT?!? Well, that's that, then. There's no reason to even compete! :anibad:

Well, it is riveted to my arm.

401acfe3-4e20-4f6b-ad5f-42ca6321a115.jpg

Saberfan7, ouch!

Sorry Man. You know Im just kidding. I would rather Hockey have stayed in The ATL and both teams leave Florida!

I know you were kidding! I should have added a :anicute::laughing: And really, I think the Jets should go to. We may differ on the destination though! :cool:

Edited by mtn-man

Well, it is riveted to my arm.

401acfe3-4e20-4f6b-ad5f-42ca6321a115.jpg

Ouch, that looks painful! :laughing: You'll have to point it out to me next time we see each other, so I can discover it. B)

I usually keep mine (the tag and the copy) together around my neck, like regular dog tags. But I can't find them anywhere. :unsure: I'm think that the last time I had them was at the GW8/L&F events, but I'm not sure. :(

We met our #1 goal of meeting cachers and having fun!

We also hit #1000 at GW9 (after a last-minute numbers run last week to get close), hit our #100th virtual find at the beautiful Presque Island state park, found the oldest cache in PA, and worked on some of our PA Delorme grids. We also discovered an awesome state park in Potter County called "Cherry Springs", which doesn't have a lot of caches but looks like a great place to camp. It was a success!

Wait till he discovers that Signal pickpocketed his name badge.

But while posing for the shot I brushed up against him and noticed that he was made of cloth. It is a costume!!! Signal is not real, he's a fake, phony and a fraud.

The costume only makes the trip when the real Signal can't. I bet he has a difficult time with the TSA in the airport due to his antenna. Didn't you see him when Groundspeak hosted their HQ event during GW8 last year (he hung around the dunking booth, I'm told)? Or when you were presented with your awards? Or helping Santa deliver caches presents to geocachers who were vacationing on Christmas Eve?

Edited by Ranger Fox

Wait till he discovers that Signal pickpocketed his name badge.

That fake Signal is such a gurk. :anibad:

I accomplished my goal of muzzling GOF. Moderating the forums should be a lot easier now. It was worth the trip, and worth buying the duct tape and string.

MNGL DNMPHR!!

Hey now... this is a family friendly forum. Just because your mouth was taped shut doesn't mean we weren't able to understand you. <--- Oh, Keystone!!!

MNGL DNMPHR!!

Hey now... this is a family friendly forum. Just because your mouth was taped shut doesn't mean we weren't able to understand you. <--- Oh, Keystone!!!

No no, you misunderstood. What he actually was saying was "mtn-man rocks". I mean, you saw the avatar. No wonder Keystone duct taped him mouth. Can't let that get out.

I don't really set goals for caching, but my intention is to have a good time in my leisure time and if it's not fun I don't do it and I surely did meet that goal.

It was great meeting so many new people. And every where I turned I saw someone from our great Tri-State caching community.

I guess it being driving distance helped a lot of us get out there but dang, I sure do know a lot of people!

Anyway if I run into any of you that I met and I can't remember your name, don't take it personally. It's just the old CRS kicking in. ;)

Hi guys, new to the forums here, but had to respond.

I got to meet my goals at GW9 because I met a bunch of new people, (GOF, Guinea Gal & Keystone to name a few), cached a bunch and had a wonderful time!!! And to top it all off, GeoWoodstock 9 was my #800 cache! Hurrah!

But honestly, the absolute BEST part of GW9 was getting to be the person who took the picture of Keystone and GOF together!!!!! :laughing:

It is quite possible that I have been misquoted. :laughing:

Hi guys, new to the forums here, but had to respond.

I got to meet my goals at GW9 because I met a bunch of new people, (GOF, Guinea Gal & Keystone to name a few), cached a bunch and had a wonderful time!!! And to top it all off, GeoWoodstock 9 was my #800 cache! Hurrah!

But honestly, the absolute BEST part of GW9 was getting to be the person who took the picture of Keystone and GOF together!!!!! :laughing:

Howdy Baloonatic! Welcome to the forums. I enjoyed having you as a neighbor in the campgrounds at GW9.

My wife Ladywolfe and I had a great time at GW9 too, and realized several goals.

We attended our first mega event.

We took picture with signal.

We got to place a face to the name Keystone.

I got to be eliminated from a poker tournament on pocket 6's...

Ladywolfe happened to win in the silent auction and the gps raffle.

We finally completed the AGT and turned in our passports for coins.

Most important, we met some of the nicest and most welcoming people I have ever come across in life.

Gotta love this crazy billion dollar tupperware searching past time!

Wow..my son and I had a BLAST at GW9!

Goals:

1. Find GW9 *without* the aid of a GPS....check.

2. Meet and talk with as many geocachers as possible...double check.

3. Photograph at least 1 person from each state and country that was represented....almost...but not quite. lol.

4. Find at least 10 geocaches while we were there...check plus.

5. Find a way to keep warm in my tent on Friday night when the weather dipped into an unseasonable cold snap. ch..ch..check.

6. Finally meet Keystone...darn...he slipped by me again.

7. I DID get to put a face to Briansnat's name even though I didn't get a chance to talk with him. (Sorry..maybe next year. lol)

8. Buy some really cool coins...check..check and check. (I'm broke now.)lol.

9. Get as many TB numbers as possible. Oh heck yeah. It will take a good week to log them all now. (If anyone saw me trolling through the parking lot on Friday night..we weren't trying to break into your cars..lol..just taking down TB numbers.

10. Have a LOT of fun with some really awesome people that actually know what geocaching is..and more importantly..they love to do it!

Yep..most of my goals were met. My son and I had so much fun and met such great people, I was really bummed to have to leave on Sunday. Honestly, I think this is the only event in the world that you can get 5000 people together for four days and you won't find drunks, drama, litter, or any other unpleasantries. Heck, the port a pots were even cleaned every morning. lol

I can't wait until next year.

Next year we need to get a forum topic going and set a time and place for forum folks to meet. A group shot of everyone would be way cool. It could be as simple as saying that we meet at the area where the log for the event would be or something to that effect. I am sure we can figure something out.

Next year we need to get a forum topic going and set a time and place for forum folks to meet. A group shot of everyone would be way cool. It could be as simple as saying that we meet at the area where the log for the event would be or something to that effect. I am sure we can figure something out.

You have already met me. What else matters? B)

He's met both of us. I think he's hoping to get a group together to prove that we are not representative of the other forum denizens. :huh:

I want my chance with the duct tape. :mmraspberry:

I also own a cattle prod. :cool:

(note to self-Purchase rubber undies before GWX.)

(note to self-Purchase rubber undies before GWX.)

As long as I get to take the picture again! :laughing:

A few months ago I suggested that a Webcam cache could be set up (yes, I know they're no longer allowed) for Geowoodstock that could be used by anyone attending the event. It could be set up to trigger a photo every few minutes that was automatically posted to the gallery for a special cache set up for just that one day.

A few months ago I suggested that a Webcam cache could be set up (yes, I know they're no longer allowed) for Geowoodstock that could be used by anyone attending the event. It could be set up to trigger a photo every few minutes that was automatically posted to the gallery for a special cache set up for just that one day.

I'd be interested in one or both of these:

-- A webcam that streams video from the event.

-- A camera that takes and uploads pictures of the event once every five minutes. If no one is in front of the camera during that time, you'll see people walking around the event.

I like the streaming idea, though, because of what I saw at the webcam in Key West. People could call their loved ones and stand in front of the camera so the people on the other end could see video (audio was included as well). While I was eating there, I saw several people doing that, despite the cold day.

As for posting pictures of the event as the event happens, I already have a fully automated way to do that. My Canon dSLR has a grip that includes a wireless transfer. When the camera takes a picture, it can be set to upload the picture via FTP to any web site. If people know the URL, they can direct others to it, and even browse what would be a vast archive after the event. It would also be a nice idea if others could contribute to the archive as well.

You don't even need a special cache for something like this to interest people.