Can You use GeoCache for Metal Detecting Only?

The way I remember the rules is you can't use a pointed sharp object to bury a cache not an outright ban on buried caches, am I right? If so a shallow burial in sand, or even a manure pile would be OK. Even with a well camo surface hide that a metal detector would help to find the cache would be OK. I am also a metal detector and find this idea intriguing. As the coords would also be included I don't think a metal detector would be mutally exclusive of finding a cache the old fashioned way.

The way I remember the rules is you can't use a pointed sharp object to bury a cache not an outright ban on buried caches, am I right? If so a shallow burial in sand, or even a manure pile would be OK. Even with a well camo surface hide that a metal detector would help to find the cache would be OK. I am also a metal detector and find this idea intriguing. As the coords would also be included I don't think a metal detector would be mutally exclusive of finding a cache the old fashioned way.

No. A cache can't be an half an inch under the ground. Period. Even if the top is showing.

According to the guidelines:

Geocaches are never buried. If a shovel, trowel or other pointy object is used to dig or break ground, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not permitted.
The point of the guideline is to keep people from digging up parks and other property, whether they're searching for caches or hiding them.

With that said, I've found a number of "below ground level" caches. But AFAICS, they all used existing holes (whether those holes were natural or man-made). I've also found a number of caches that were covered with a few handfuls of loose leaves, soil, bark, sand, etc., as well as caches that were pushed into the loose leaves, soil, bark, sand, etc. on top of the ground. None of these violated the guidelines.

And FWIW, I've found caches where knowing the cache was made of metal made it easier to search for. I've never used a metal detector for such caches, but a magnetic compass or a simple magnet can be very useful.