Cache Swag heads up

We used to have a local Buyology shop which was great. Their offers regularly change but a particular bargain we found was small stationery sets for about 25p, which could be used intact or split down into component parts - think we bought their complete stock! Alas our store has now gone, but I think that you're South Wales based so you'll be glad to know they've got stores in Barry, Newport and Swansea.

Probably not a lot of help :) but I was in Montmartre recently and there were dozens of guys with blankets spread out selling all kinds of junk. Most had miniature 'Eiffel Tower' key rings in a variety of gaudy colours, just right for cache swaps. After some banter and good natured haggling with one of the guys, I came away with a bag full at 6 for a Euro which I thought was a bit of a result as most were only offering 2 for a Euro and they were a Euro each in the 'official' souvenir kiosks. :D

We used to have a local Buyology shop which was great. Their offers regularly change but a particular bargain we found was small stationery sets for about 25p, which could be used intact or split down into component parts - think we bought their complete stock! Alas our store has now gone, but I think that you're South Wales based so you'll be glad to know they've got stores in Barry, Newport and Swansea.

Yeah we have a Buyology or two around here, will take a look. Good heads-up :)

Probably not a lot of help :) but I was in Montmartre recently and there were dozens of guys with blankets spread out selling all kinds of junk. Most had miniature 'Eiffel Tower' key rings in a variety of gaudy colours, just right for cache swaps. After some banter and good natured haggling with one of the guys, I came away with a bag full at 6 for a Euro which I thought was a bit of a result as most were only offering 2 for a Euro and they were a Euro each in the 'official' souvenir kiosks. :D

If I feel like getting some gaudy coloured Eiffel Towers I now know where to look, hehe. Thanks for the input though. Nice bit of haggling there!!

I just received an order of pin badges from a company I saw on Ebay - 50p each plus 5 free for every 20 ordered. Some amusing slogans on there. Not bad, I thought, and they'll fit into most caches. (I'll put them into a mini plastic bag first to keep them in good condition.)

MrsB

I've been buying some Welsh flag badges off ebay, 99p buy one get one free, free postage :) Not much use to those outside Wales but for taffs its a good price for a tidy swag item :) Will look at bigwow's site later, cheers :)

A look on bay for job lots (mini) ones of like 10 - 20 keyrings...been outbidded at the last second all the times ive bidded.........But thankfully my dad has saved nearly every xmas cracker gift and little trinkets in a drawer since i was born so my backpack is pretty full with swaps

COMPLETLY OFF TOPIC.............i recieved my geocaching badges and patch today :) cant wait to get it sealed onto my backpack :) like a kid a xmas :)

Question : If i bought some clear keyrings a put a random picci in each one...would u hardcore cachers like the blorenges for instance put them on ur keys or just drop em in another cache ??? :rolleyes: Tell me to go run and jump if u dont think this is a sutible question for this post...i didnt want to start a topic and have it die on its bum :(

Edited by jady1987

Question : If i bought some clear keyrings a put a random picci in each one...would u hardcore cachers like the blorenges for instance put them on ur keys or just drop em in another cache ??? :rolleyes: Tell me to go run and jump if u dont think this is a sutible question for this post...i didnt want to start a topic and have it die on its bum :(

Well, I probably wouldn't pick up a keyring with a random pic on it... but if you turned it into a proper signature item by adding a pic significant to you or your area and it had your caching name on it then I'd collect it. :)

Generally the only things we take from caches are named signature items and anything which is predominantly orange in colour.

495e3d74-b718-4253-8c93-13e6629be1aa.jpg

... but that's just me. B) There's nothing wrong with your idea of being creative and putting together some interesting keyrings any way you want.

MrsB :)

P.S. Trust me, we're nothing like "hardcore cachers", we're strictly "bumble about, do a few when we feel like it" cachers. :D

Depending on the photo, I may add it to the keys. Not that I'm hardcore. Not even cached for a couple of days... but got my car back from the garage today, so might venture out tomorrow!

I havent cached for over a fortnight because i had tonsilitus :( Least u have a car i wish i had one so i could go find more caches :( theres only sooo far u can go on your bike (even though ive only been on the bike once...resulting in a very bad cold) I dunno about the pics in the keyrings id have to think about it.....Something to think about an itd defo be something different

I dunno about the pics in the keyrings id have to think about it.....

I probably wouldn't collect one because a) I don't often take stuff from a cache and B) I'm don't like unnecessary things on my keyring; but I think it would be a good idea if you made them identifiable but different, e.g. have different pictures but your own logo, then people might see them as collectible and would seek them out.

We once did this with clear keyrings and bottle openers. We put a copy of our avatar in them and numbered them - 1 of 20 etc and called them limited edition! :) People took them. I don't drink myself so would have no use for a bottle opener, but keyrings always come in handy.

Edited by Nick & Ali

I recently got 6 novelty pencils with rubbers on in a pack from the 99p shop and Tescos have stationery bits and bobs for 50p pack or 3 for a pound and Wilkinsons have pencils, rubbers etc for about 36p a pack, often you get 3 or 4 items in a pack. I like to collect rubbers and GoGo crazybones I find in caches, but recently saw a Liliput Lane house (chipped) in a cache!

I bought 1000 10cm x 10 cm zip lock poly bags for about 5 a penny. This has widened our swag choices a little ( to include small notebooks, collections of interesting used stamps, fimo nail art, pretty horsey post it notes, stickers, metal things that might rust if not in a bag and bouncing putty). I also get party favours from supermarkets in packs of 5 or 6 and split these. I try to get my children to pick them, as if they don't like them, then why should someone else? Sometimes these have pirate or football themes, just to widen the appeal a little!

Edit: to remove assumption that girls don't like football or pirates...

Edited by Fianccetto

We attach clear keyrings to our trackables to show goals, etc. We have a large bag of them, but I guess other cachers might pick up yours to recycle it onto their own trackable. Reduce Reuse Recycle! :unsure: