Biggest boon to cache hiders?

What's the best thing you can find in the local environment to help you HIDE a cache?

My personal favourites for hiding would be:

1. Banyan trees. Just so many nooks and crannies.

2. Drystone walls. Holes galore, and the chance to shift a rock to hide something behind it.

3. Bridges. Out of the rain, little ledges underneath to hiding nice big containers.

4. Hollow trees. Rarer to find, but a wonderful place to conceal things.

Any other suggestions?

You can see I'm a bit bored today...

1. Banyan trees. Just so many nooks and crannies.

None here in Arizona

2. Drystone walls. Holes galore, and the chance to shift a rock to hide something behind it.

Haven't these been banned? Bad idea anyway due to potential damage...things never get put back right.

3. Bridges. Out of the rain, little ledges underneath to hiding nice big containers.

Pedestrian bridges? Not bad, but usually also not too exciting.

4. Hollow trees. Rarer to find, but a wonderful place to conceal things.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner! In a scenic area, or at the end of a nice long hike. Heck, even in the middle of Riffster's 'nipple-deep' swamp!

I love rock crevices. There are many of them around here and they don't rot, fall down or wash away.

Dry stone walls on the other hand are poor places. The hidey holes galore and shifting of rocks often results in the wall being picked apart and destroyed. In the UK reviewers will not knowingly publish a cache in a dry stone wall because of their historic significance. Many other reviewers will strongly discourage such hides.

I think this sort of thing must be very region-specific -- Banyan trees are very south-east Asian. The drystone-wall situation probably depends on the country, too -- there's one near here but the stones that make it up are way too big to move, and there's not the historic aspect there is in the UK. Irresponsible seekers can cause damage anywhere :(. Bridges will depend on the area, but here the parks abound with small wooden footbridges with tiny hideyholes underneath. No rock crevices about here though, that will depend on your local geology as well.

Any tree/rock/whatever will do in my book as long as the location has something about it that makes me say "wow." Doesn't have to be a loud "wow." An under-the-breath "wow" works, too. :) (Not that all my hides are "wow," but I wish they were.)

"Wow" can be an old, cool tree with a hollow section that's perfect for a cache. "Wow" can be an amazing view of town after a painfully steep hike. "Wow" can be a walk on moss-carpeting through moss-draped trees so quiet you could hear a pin drop. "Wow" changes daily depending on my mood.

I spend a lot of time wandering around forests looking for "wow." Usually I just find "meh." But it makes the "wow" more special when I do stumble upon it. Found a great "wow" today. :)

I love rock crevices. There are many of them around here and they don't rot, fall down or wash away.

Dry stone walls on the other hand are poor places. The hidey holes galore and shifting of rocks often results in the wall being picked apart and destroyed. In the UK reviewers will not knowingly publish a cache in a dry stone wall because of their historic significance. Many other reviewers will strongly discourage such hides.

Actually, I think hides in dry stone walls are banned not because of their historical significance, but because a broken wall won't keep livestock in!

We have other rules for historically significant areas - drystone walls are still used, still built new, and still repaired in this country.

Actually, I think hides in dry stone walls are banned not because of their historical significance, but because a broken wall won't keep livestock in!

We have other rules for historically significant areas - drystone walls are still used, still built new, and still repaired in this country.

Either way, its a bad idea.

I love coming up with containers that we can hide right in front of others & they'll just keep looking. They may take more work, but they're very satisfying.

I'll tell you about one of them, because it's been out for a couple of months. We drilled out a padlock & hid a nano within it. Hung the padlock on a fence near a gate. Viola. Awesome cache. People were picking it up, looking at it, & putting it back none the wiser. It took a long time for a FTF, even with giving additional hints after every DNF.

Feel free to replicate, although very special tools are needed, welding is needed, replacing the pins is a difficult task as they are a challenge to obtain, & it's not easy.

If anyone is looking for which cache it is, it's called "Pump Up the Volume", as it's hidden at an abandoned pump house in a tucked away location not many people know of. Pretty cool area, great for trout fishing.

Edited by RhinoInAToga