gay geocaching group

An occupation is what you do, not who you are. What if I made a blonde-hair only group, or an African American group? I could drag this analogy on forever, but my point with it is, is that in my opinion, there is a very significant difference between banding together for a common purpose based upon a group-commonality of "what people do, or what (not who) they like" and what their sexual-preference is.

Then we can agree to disagree. "Who you are" is part of your experience - my gay, lesbian, African-American, Native American, Hispanic, or Japanese friends share common bonds with others in their group. Their cultural and personal experiences are different than mine in some significant ways. I think its natural that there is a group commonality based on these factors, just as there is for what people believe and what people do -- all of these things are part of who we are as human beings and there is not a clear dividing line. I can recognize various ways that my ethnic or racial background, and my sexual orientation, have helped define both who and what I am as a person.

So yes, if an African-American group of geocachers wanted to form, I would support that without hesitation. If a blonde group under 5'3" felt they wanted to meet together for the purposes of sharing some common experience, I would have no problem with that either - although my 6'4" group might offer them an alliance for caches that are said to be harder for people who are "vertically challenged."

With that said, this does not diminish the way that this particular game can bring us together. I have met, and genuinely like, a wide variety of people through this game whose experiences, beliefs, or politics may be different than my own. I want them to feel free to share their personal experiences and be who they are around me. It is one of the things that I value about caching. So I am glad when we can come together for an event or group hike. But that does not mean that there is also not room for particular groups to cache together and share what they have in common.

Edited by mulvaney

OP, are you on meetup? If there's a gay meetup group in your area, perhaps you can become an event organizer and organize geocaching events. I love meetup, it's a great way to meet new people.

Would they consider geocaching to be off-topic? I mean finding like-minded geocachers was the point of the thread, right?

Are you on meetup? Of course, it would depend on that particular group, but most groups are open to a variety of activities and happy to have help with event organzing. We do geocaching meetups with our homeschool meetup group.

It was an honest question. Some groups are support, some are support/social and some are social. edited to clarify, I don't think you necessarily have to move a geocaching event into another organization just to make it happen but if that's part of the program that they would participate, that would be an answer for the OP.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Sexual orienteering wouldn't be too off-topic, would it? Is that what they mean by a "score event"? :antenna:

By the way, someone might want to tell these folks to knock off the non-geocaching stuff.

Quilters who cache, Gays, Singles, Christians, Veterans, Terra. Keep on caching is all I have to say about that.

That's really all I have to say on this topic. I can't make people understand what it's like to live this life or feel the way I feel. Or have to be faced with the threats and violence I have been faced with just because of who I love. I can't ever make people understand but I wish I could.

Thank you for writing this. It is much more eloquent than anything I posted.

I'm at an event in, I think, Tennessee this one time where teams were formed to run around and find caches. I had a lady friend with me in my Suburban and an older fella and two younger guys joined the team and we're off. We cached all day and after about six hours I look in the rear-view mirror at one of the younger guys and asked "So, how long have you two been a couple?" Instant deer-in-the-headlights looks from them and total silence in the truck. Then everyone started laughing and the tense moment was over. I don't know what gave them away, they totally thought they were 'passing', and nobody else's gaydar had gone off, but it was funny, a hilarious moment that we'll all always remember. Maybe it was because these ole boys chewed tobacco and shared an empty water bottle to spit in. They fessed up and we had a great weekend caching together.

Sunday night late I'm driving back to Alabama and got thirsty, so I reach between the seats and get a bottle of water out of the back. Took a big ol' swig and almost wrecked the dam truck trying to pull over! It was these gay boys tobacco spit bottle! I thought I was gonna die! My God that was nasty!

So maybe I'm not as progressive and accepting as I like to think I am. :rolleyes:

I'm at an event in, I think, Tennessee this one time where teams were formed to run around and find caches. I had a lady friend with me in my Suburban and an older fella and two younger guys joined the team and we're off. We cached all day and after about six hours I look in the rear-view mirror at one of the younger guys and asked "So, how long have you two been a couple?" Instant deer-in-the-headlights looks from them and total silence in the truck. Then everyone started laughing and the tense moment was over. I don't know what gave them away, they totally thought they were 'passing', and nobody else's gaydar had gone off, but it was funny, a hilarious moment that we'll all always remember. Maybe it was because these ole boys chewed tobacco and shared an empty water bottle to spit in. They fessed up and we had a great weekend caching together.

Sunday night late I'm driving back to Alabama and got thirsty, so I reach between the seats and get a bottle of water out of the back. Took a big ol' swig and almost wrecked the dam truck trying to pull over! It was these gay boys tobacco spit bottle! I thought I was gonna die! My God that was nasty!

So maybe I'm not as progressive and accepting as I like to think I am. :rolleyes:

I don't care who was doing the spitting, that would be nasty no matter what! icon8.gif

I think if people want to spit tobacco in the privacy of their homes that is one thing . . . . But my progressive credentials just met their match. I am going to have to go home and have a beer to get even the imagined taste of that one out of my mouth.

Edited by mulvaney

An occupation is what you do, not who you are. What if I made a blonde-hair only group, or an African American group? I could drag this analogy on forever, but my point with it is, is that in my opinion, there is a very significant difference between banding together for a common purpose based upon a group-commonality of "what people do, or what (not who) they like" and what their sexual-preference is.

Say what you will but I AM gimp and I will have my G I M P group! Unfortunately I'm not hearing any positive feedback from a few of the other gimps that frequent this forum and this thread. Hmmmmpppphhhh!!! :mad:

Some folks will fool a fella. We'd been out on the gun range with our carrier battle group. When my destroyer docked in San Diego me and some of the sailors from my division hit the bars. I latched on to this one good looking gal and started buying her drinks. We danced and as the night progressed so did the bar-room romance, until we were making out pretty good. I finally got my hand up her skirt, reaching for heaven, only to find... man parts. :blink: Ugh. I'm trying to figure out how to disentangle myself from this guy in a way that my pals won't notice when they all bust out laughing. They'd known it all along. I was totally fooled. This girl, guy, thing, whatever, was by all appearances a totally beautiful girl who gave me no clue at all as I was dancing and kissing on a man. :rolleyes:

Say what you will but I AM gimp and I will have my G I M P group! Unfortunately I'm not hearing any positive feedback from a few of the other gimps that frequent this forum and this thread. Hmmmmpppphhhh!!! :mad:

I say, let's go for it! A gimp group sounds fantastic. Of course, it will have to be carried out solely online, as we aren't likely to travel far enough to get together. :rolleyes:

Some folks will fool a fella. We'd been out on the gun range with our carrier battle group. When my destroyer docked in San Diego me and some of the sailors from my division hit the bars. I latched on to this one good looking gal and started buying her drinks. We danced and as the night progressed so did the bar-room romance, until we were making out pretty good. I finally got my hand up her skirt, reaching for heaven, only to find... man parts. :blink: Ugh. I'm trying to figure out how to disentangle myself from this guy in a way that my pals won't notice when they all bust out laughing. They'd known it all along. I was totally fooled. This girl, guy, thing, whatever, was by all appearances a totally beautiful girl who gave me no clue at all as I was dancing and kissing on a man. :rolleyes:

Do you realize how deep you dig the more you post in this thread? :laughing:

Do I qualify for the gay cachers group yet?

I say, let's go for it! A gimp group sounds fantastic. Of course, it will have to be carried out solely online, as we aren't likely to travel far enough to get together. :rolleyes:

Perhaps we can use our group for swapping funny caching stories.

Like I found out the other day that you can jump start a van off your power chair.

I went to get in, turned the key, and click click click. Dead battery.

I carry jumper cables but there was noone around so I was stuck. I thought about it for a while and figured shoot, 12v batteries in power chair, 12v batteries in van. Let's try it out.

Pulled the quick connect on the battery to disengage the chair, attached cables, and turned the key. No clicks, turned slightly, so I waited a couple of minutes with key off. Tried it again and it cranked right up.

So next time you're out geocaching and you have a power chair this might come in handy.

(Should we start our own thread?)

Dunno, but I do know you qualify for the GIMP club. How come you haven't signed up yet?

Can I have an old fat white guy group? But I have noticed a very definite advantage to caching with women, the line to go to the can when we stop for a pee stop is pretty short.

Hey, I want to be part of the group too. Do you take grumps?

If I went geocaching with someone who turned out to be Gay, I would not have any issue with it, as long as it wasn't a part of our discussion as we were geocaching; just as I would not speak about my sexual preference/experiences with fellow-cachers unless they were close, personal friends, and I also knew it would be perceived well and appropriately by anyone and every person.

I hope I cut this quote right. Here's the deal when I meet strangers, even caching, certain topics always come up. Because I have ovaries one of the first questions I am always asked is "Do you have children?" Then eventually relationship status comes up.

I know this might be hard for many people to want to understand but being LGBT is NOT just what happens in the bedroom. It's not just a particular act in bed. It's not just having sex. Believe it or not we have normal relationships just like everyone else.

So say we start having a normal friendly conversation. Say you mention something about your opposite gendered partner if you have one. Now I mention something about my same gendered partner. Has NOTHING to do with sex. It has to do with my relationships and now you know generally what my sexual orientation is. Or how about this. I show up at an event with my partner. We're holding hands. Maybe we even hug as couples are prone to do on occasion. It has NOTHING to do with sex but you now know what my orientation is. Or maybe I don't come with a partner but maybe we have friendly conversation about work or our lives because in my experience there are finite number of geocaching topics to talk about. And realistically most people want to get to know their fellow cachers as people. Who I am as a person includes who my partner is and subsequently the fact that I am part of the LGBT community. It is also my job. It is also my other hobbies. A lot of things make up who I am.

I would never ask a straight person to not show love to their partners in public. I wouldn't say don't hug in front of me or hold hands because your straightness makes me uncomfortable. I would enjoy being in the presence of that love and I certainly wouldn't say they are jamming their sexuality down my throat unless they are disrobing and doing it right there in front of me.

Because I don't know how the straight community is going to respond to me having a same gendered life partner when I have a partner I am at times much more comfortable going out with other people in the LGBT or allied community. I mean take this thread for a example. Lots of things have been thrown around. Say this was an event and I never knew any of you and say I showed up with my partner only to find all you all that uncomfortable with it. How do you think I would feel about that? I like to know when meeting groups that the most basic aspects of who I am will be ok so I don't leave feeling like a big old pile of poo. Or being made to feel so uncomfortable that I want to crawl into a hole.

You're also dealing with someone here who has literally been threatened with violence of all sorts just for going out to eat with a same gendered partner. Who has had be subjected to vandalism and horrible hateful things being yelled at me all because I held I hands, hugged or went out on a normal date with a same gendered person. After dealing with that in my personal life of course in my geocaching life which is just a microcosm of the larger society I might just want to occasionally hang out with people who I know have experienced the same (if not worse). I don't have to explain then why I feel the way I feel or worry about things I worry about. I don't have to question what's going to happen if I go out into the woods with someone who suddenly figures out that I'm in the community and is suddenly not so ok with that. I've been in situations like that in other areas of my life and it's a horrible feeling.

Also, if people are that uncomfortable with who I am or who any LGBT person is then I don't particularly want to subject myself to that either. If people can't see past the sex act and into the fact that I do have loving, normal relationships, a normal job and a pretty normal life... it's not really someone that I want to hang with. And I'm quite sure the people who are that uncomfortable would be much happier to not be subjected to hanging out with me either in that case...

That's really all I have to say on this topic. I can't make people understand what it's like to live this life or feel the way I feel. Or have to be faced with the threats and violence I have been faced with just because of who I love. I can't ever make people understand but I wish I could.

You make a very good argument (bolded text) and I acknowledge that this is indeed a keen possibility in general, everyday conversation. I'll take some time to consider that...

Edited by OregonCacher

Dunno, but I do know you qualify for the GIMP club. How come you haven't signed up yet?

The old fat white gimp guy club, sign me up! And I'm totally stealing your image!

NASCAR_NO_RIGHT_TURNS_GIMP.jpg

Can I have an old fat white guy group? But I have noticed a very definite advantage to caching with women, the line to go to the can when we stop for a pee stop is pretty short.

grumps? several of the women get pretty grumpy if I don't stop for food. Gimps? Only if you can find caches or navigate. But you have to like dogs. (the animals, not the women :blink: )

I think Rodney Carrington wrote a song about the very same thing. Not as graphic of course.

Now that's a target group. I could apply but noooo wayyyy!!!

grumps? several of the women get pretty grumpy if I don't stop for food. Gimps? Only if you can find caches or navigate. But you have to like dogs. (the animals, not the women :blink: )

I'm an excellent driver. Yeah. Wopner comes on at 3. I'm an excellent driver.

First Friday of the month is good for me!

Works for me.

I'm tired of being ostracized, threatened, spit on because... oh wait. that was my wife trying to get me to do the dishes. Never mind.

Thought that only happened to me.

OK, so now we have the Old Fat White Guys Who Enjoy Right Turn Only NASCAR While Geocaching Impeded by Mobility Problems.

OLD_FAT_WHITE_GUY_NASCAR_NO_RIGHT_TURNS_GIMP.jpg

When is our first meeting?

Oops...I'm not an old fat guy. :unsure:

No, no, no. The G I M P group meets on the third Thursday of the month. Come on over!

GIMP.jpg

OK, so now we have the Old Fat White Guys Who Enjoy Right Turn Only NASCAR While Geocaching Impeded by Mobility Problems.

No, no, no. The G I M P group meets on the third Thursday of the month. Come on over!

GIMP.jpg

Oh, ok! :)

Although....I'm only *somewhat* gimpy... :unsure:

With blonde hair? May I join?

GIMP.jpg

If you are a Geocacher Impeded by Mobility Problems you qualify. :)

Hmmmmm, let me get back to you on the logo. Then we'll start a new subset of the G I M P club. Until then feel free to join us on the 21st if you have mobility problems while caching.

GIMP.jpg

Well, technically, I am. Yay! :D Errr...waydaminute... :huh:

Hmmmmm, let me get back to you on the logo. Then we'll start a new subset of the G I M P club. Until then feel free to join us on the 21st if you have mobility problems while caching.

I used to be blonde. :unsure:

GIMP.jpg

No problem. All GIMPs are welcome on third Thursdays.

But if you are an old fat white guy GIMP who watches right turn only NASCAR, you get to come to an extra ultra exclusive meeting this Friday.

If you are a blond GIMP, we are working out the details.

Of course if you are an old fat white guy who is sometimes grumpy, I've just discovered a new group with openings provided you can find caches or navigate.

If I went geocaching with someone who turned out to be Gay, I would not have any issue with it, as long as it wasn't a part of our discussion as we were geocaching; just as I would not speak about my sexual preference/experiences with fellow-cachers unless they were close, personal friends, and I also knew it would be perceived well and appropriately by anyone and every person.

I hope I cut this quote right. Here's the deal when I meet strangers, even caching, certain topics always come up. Because I have ovaries one of the first questions I am always asked is "Do you have children?" Then eventually relationship status comes up.

I know this might be hard for many people to want to understand but being LGBT is NOT just what happens in the bedroom. It's not just a particular act in bed. It's not just having sex. Believe it or not we have normal relationships just like everyone else.

So say we start having a normal friendly conversation. Say you mention something about your opposite gendered partner if you have one. Now I mention something about my same gendered partner. Has NOTHING to do with sex. It has to do with my relationships and now you know generally what my sexual orientation is.

Or how about this. I show up at an event with my partner. We're holding hands. Maybe we even hug as couples are prone to do on occasion. It has NOTHING to do with sex but you now know what my orientation is. Or maybe I don't come with a partner but maybe we have friendly conversation about work or our lives because in my experience there are finite number of geocaching topics to talk about. And realistically most people want to get to know their fellow cachers as people. Who I am as a person includes who my partner is and subsequently the fact that I am part of the LGBT community. It is also my job. It is also my other hobbies. A lot of things make up who I am.

I would never ask a straight person to not show love to their partners in public. I wouldn't say don't hug in front of me or hold hands because your straightness makes me uncomfortable. I would enjoy being in the presence of that love and I certainly wouldn't say they are jamming their sexuality down my throat unless they are disrobing and doing it right there in front of me.

Because I don't know how the straight community is going to respond to me having a same gendered life partner when I have a partner I am at times much more comfortable going out with other people in the LGBT or allied community. I mean take this thread for a example. Lots of things have been thrown around. Say this was an event and I never knew any of you and say I showed up with my partner only to find all you all that uncomfortable with it. How do you think I would feel about that? I like to know when meeting groups that the most basic aspects of who I am will be ok so I don't leave feeling like a big old pile of poo. Or being made to feel so uncomfortable that I want to crawl into a hole.

You're also dealing with someone here who has literally been threatened with violence of all sorts just for going out to eat with a same gendered partner. Who has had be subjected to vandalism and horrible hateful things being yelled at me all because I held I hands, hugged or went out on a normal date with a same gendered person. After dealing with that in my personal life of course in my geocaching life which is just a microcosm of the larger society I might just want to occasionally hang out with people who I know have experienced the same (if not worse). I don't have to explain then why I feel the way I feel or worry about things I worry about. I don't have to question what's going to happen if I go out into the woods with someone who suddenly figures out that I'm in the community and is suddenly not so ok with that. I've been in situations like that in other areas of my life and it's a horrible feeling.

Also, if people are that uncomfortable with who I am or who any LGBT person is then I don't particularly want to subject myself to that either. If people can't see past the sex act and into the fact that I do have loving, normal relationships, a normal job and a pretty normal life... it's not really someone that I want to hang with. And I'm quite sure the people who are that uncomfortable would be much happier to not be subjected to hanging out with me either in that case...

+1

i'm so lucky that the friends i cache with couldn't care less who i sleep with.

GIMP.jpg

No problem. All GIMPs are welcome on third Thursdays.

But if you are an old fat white guy GIMP who watches right turn only NASCAR, you get to come to an extra ultra exclusive meeting this Friday.

If you are a blond GIMP, we are working out the details.

Of course if you are an old fat white guy who is sometimes grumpy, I've just discovered a new group with openings provided you can find caches or navigate.

This is getting complicated. :wacko:

Something tells me there is a reason that there is a lack of "gay geocaching groups" in the community; and it has nothing to do with a "minority vs majority" issue... but moreover that sexual orientation has never had a place in this hobby, or many others for that matter; it's not culturally appropriate, regardless of which sexual preference it is.

I think it has a lot to do with intolerance, mis/disinformation and good, ol' fashioned history.

Whoa there, NeverSummer. OregonCacher didn't say anything about a specific sexual orientation; he said that ANY sexual orientation is irrelevant to geocaching.

Perhaps not in that post, but if you look at the others, it becomes pretty clear what the issue is.

And I agree that it is irrelevant. Which is why I said what I said below the snipped quote. I just hope that the same limit on tolerance would be issued to anyone who decides to talk explicitly about who they love. Otherwise, it's just another person who has a different story, and shouldn't be disregarded as a needless interest group. (See religious groups, other clubs or affiliations, etc who form "groups" to go geocaching)

Thank you "GeoGeeBee" I was about to say the same thing myself: "Whoa there, NeverSummer. OregonCacher didn't say anything about a specific sexual orientation; he said that ANY sexual orientation is irrelevant to geocaching." - GeoGeeBee

Let me be very clear on what I meant; when I'm geocaching, I don't want to know what goes on in the bedroom of the cacher's I'm with; gay, straight, or anything in between.

Several people made comments asserting the following: "There is no difference between a occupational or religious group, and a group based upon sexual orientation".

To the above statement, I completely disagree, however many people feel differently about different things in this world, so I think the only thing I can say is agree to disagree.

It sounds really good to say that that your sexuality is not who you are, but I don't think a therapist would back that up.

Being a straight married man is a huge aspect of my personality. To try to separate the concept of my sexuality from my concept of self is almost impossible. I can't imagine who I would be if I wasn't the sort of person who wanted to be with my wife. Sexuality is a HUGE part of being alive. It's part of nature. It's part of our personality on a DEEP level. Far deeper than a job or a hair color.

Meanwhile, my job (most people's jobs?) are just something that they do to pay the bills right? I mean, someone has to PAY ME to do that stuff. Otherwise I'd just be out geocaching... and I LOVE my job :lol:

I find it interesting people keep bringing up "what goes on in the bedroom"

Whenever people talk about homosexuality they seem to go straight to sex and bedroom talk. Perhaps it's easier to characterize it only as sex and not as love?

If I said, " I don't want to know the cacher's I'm with are in love with or know about their significant others" we'd probably all agree it is a completely weird ting to say.

So instead we say what? "don't wanna know who you're humping"?

Seems like a weird thing to ask of someone. No one offered to let us know what happens in their bedroom. It has nothing to do with gay caching.

Why are you making fun of this? If you were gay you would understand how difficult it is to be out there with people who don't approve of your lifestyle.

It's easy to say just don't bring it up. But it's a part of who these people are. You can't just not talk about it any more than I can't talk about my wife and marriage.

Sure, it shouldn't really be a part of the forums. The forums should be more general. But all the OP asked was if a group existed. He didn't try to gaynize any of you or push his sexual preference on anyone.

I wonder if you are a part of the FUITH group?

Why are you making fun of this? If you were gay you would understand how difficult it is to be out there with people who don't approve of your lifestyle.

It's easy to say just don't bring it up. But it's a part of who these people are. You can't just not talk about it any more than I can't talk about my wife and marriage.

Sure, it shouldn't really be a part of the forums. The forums should be more general. But all the OP asked was if a group existed. He didn't try to gaynize any of you or push his sexual preference on anyone.

I wonder if you are a part of the FUITH group?

Said much more clearly and succinctly than I could manage for some reason.

Pretending sexuality isn't a component of our being is like pretending food and sleep aren't. It's life at a basic level. It's nearly puritanical to pretend who we love and are attracted to shouldn't bear at all on who we are and what sort of people we get along with.

Something tells me there is a reason that there is a lack of "gay geocaching groups" in the community; and it has nothing to do with a "minority vs majority" issue... but moreover that sexual orientation has never had a place in this hobby, or many others for that matter; it's not culturally appropriate, regardless of which sexual preference it is.

I think it has a lot to do with intolerance, mis/disinformation and good, ol' fashioned history.

Whoa there, NeverSummer. OregonCacher didn't say anything about a specific sexual orientation; he said that ANY sexual orientation is irrelevant to geocaching.

Perhaps not in that post, but if you look at the others, it becomes pretty clear what the issue is.

And I agree that it is irrelevant. Which is why I said what I said below the snipped quote. I just hope that the same limit on tolerance would be issued to anyone who decides to talk explicitly about who they love. Otherwise, it's just another person who has a different story, and shouldn't be disregarded as a needless interest group. (See religious groups, other clubs or affiliations, etc who form "groups" to go geocaching)

Thank you "GeoGeeBee" I was about to say the same thing myself: "Whoa there, NeverSummer. OregonCacher didn't say anything about a specific sexual orientation; he said that ANY sexual orientation is irrelevant to geocaching." - GeoGeeBee

Let me be very clear on what I meant; when I'm geocaching, I don't want to know what goes on in the bedroom of the cacher's I'm with; gay, straight, or anything in between.

Several people made comments asserting the following: "There is no difference between a occupational or religious group, and a group based upon sexual orientation".

To the above statement, I completely disagree, however many people feel differently about different things in this world, so I think the only thing I can say is agree to disagree.

It sounds really good to say that that your sexuality is not who you are, but I don't think a therapist would back that up.

Being a straight married man is a huge aspect of my personality. To try to separate the concept of my sexuality from my concept of self is almost impossible. I can't imagine who I would be if I wasn't the sort of person who wanted to be with my wife. Sexuality is a HUGE part of being alive. It's part of nature. It's part of our personality on a DEEP level. Far deeper than a job or a hair color.

Meanwhile, my job (most people's jobs?) are just something that they do to pay the bills right? I mean, someone has to PAY ME to do that stuff. Otherwise I'd just be out geocaching... and I LOVE my job :lol:

I find it interesting people keep bringing up "what goes on in the bedroom"

Whenever people talk about homosexuality they seem to go straight to sex and bedroom talk. Perhaps it's easier to characterize it only as sex and not as love?

If I said, " I don't want to know the cacher's I'm with are in love with or know about their significant others" we'd probably all agree it is a completely weird ting to say.

So instead we say what? "don't wanna know who you're humping"?

Seems like a weird thing to ask of someone. No one offered to let us know what happens in their bedroom. It has nothing to do with gay caching.

Please refer to the most recent reply on this page (up a bit).

Dude chill. It was just getting a bit too serious so I tried to lighten the mood. I'll head on back to OT. It's not as tense there.

Someone has to keep an eye on him, so I'll bow out, too.

(What is the FUITH group? Do I really want to know?)

Dude chill. It was just getting a bit too serious so I tried to lighten the mood. I'll head on back to OT. It's not as tense there.

Someone has to keep an eye on him, so I'll bow out, too.

(What is the FUITH group? Do I really want to know?)

Best I could find is the acronym for F'd up in the head.

The only group I could connect to this from my point of view are the The Westboro Baptist Church.

Needless to say, I really hope thats not what they are getting at, because thats the meanest group you could tie someone to imo. Hopefully my conjecture is wrong. Internet mind reading usually is...

And that is the whole problem in a nutshell. Most people hear the word "gay" and start thinking about sex acts. Most don't stop to think about how much of their own lives is wrapped up in their own straight sexual orientation, how much they casually talk about their wives and husbands and families and such and don't give a second of hesitation in doing so. Gay people have to stop and ask themselves constantly...is it safe to talk about my partner? Is it safe to say their name? Will I be judged and shunned simply because of WHO I AM??

It isn't any wonder that they tend to feel more at ease with people who can truly understand what that experience is like. Hence the desire to find other gay people to cache with.