gay geocaching group

I want to find a group of bacon lovers to cache with. They should love bacon, but not to the extent there isn't plenty left for me.

This is very important in my geocaching endeavors.

Actually, you were beat to it several years ago. BACON Geocaching group That's actually a Facebook page, but I don't have an account, and I can see it, so I'm sure anyone can. Unless you have Facebook blocked, of course. :P

This thread is absolutely fascinating for anyone (like myself) who is interested in LGBT matters and how far (or how not far) our world has come into accepting these individuals. Very, very interesting.

My only comment for the OP echoes what the others have said. I've never heard of a gay Geocaching group, but that doesn't mean you can't start one!

I've tried very hard to stay out of this thread, but seriously. You can like and be friends with someone without condoning habits you feel are wrong or are not comfortable with. Like homosexuality, or smoking, or bad hygiene, or whatever. One trait does not make or define the whole person. The problem comes when it starts getting shoved in your face 24x7 to a point where it's the first and foremost thing you know about them.

I have friends that are gay. Does that sound cliched? I don't care, they're my friends. They don't rub it in my face, I don't force my worldview on them. What they do in private is their business, not mine. Ask me what I think, I'll tell you without lying. Start labelling me a bigot or a homophobe because I'm a conservative Catholic, and no, I won't roll over and show my stomach.

Homophobe is a highly inaccurate word, anyway. Anyone here have an irrational fear of gay people? I know I don't.

And this has nothing to do with geocaching, so I'll don my flamesuit.

As far as I'm concerned we're just geocachers. Segregating ourselves into anything other than regional groups seems silly.

I'm comfortable geocaching with gays, whites, blacks, Jews, Catholics, protestants, veterans, or handicapped. Heck, I'd even cache with a gay black veteran Catholic!

There's nothing wrong with forming a group, but I still think it's silly. Most geocachers I know are the most accepting people I've met.

Yea we are all just geocachers. But some of us dont want to cache with every cacher. Ive been to two events. And there were a total of 5 people who I would want to cache with. There was nothing wrong with the other people, just not my style.

Anyways, I live in a very gay friendly city (Long Beach, CA), and we do not have a gay geocaching group. But we do have plenty of gay geocachers. My aunt and her wife are two of them.

Start labelling me a bigot or a homophobe because I'm a conservative Catholic, and no, I won't roll over and show my stomach.

No worries, Sioneva! I know lots of gay Catholics. I haven't talked politics with them so I don't know if they are conservative or liberal (or don't give a flying fig either way).

Why on earth would anyone label you a bigot simply because you are a (conservative) Catholic? :laughing:

Jesus preached to love each other and treat each other as we wish to be treated. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. :)

I know this is a little off topic here but we are talking about specialize groups within the Geocaching world. There is one group that I will love is a geocaching group for the Deaf and Hard of hearing (HOH). Its really hard for me to be at hearing geocaching events since I cant hear everything going on around me. I am very thankful for alot of caring hearing people out there that make my geocaching event enjoyable. (you know who u are if you meet me in person and thank you for all the help when number were called for door prizes.)

Start labelling me a bigot or a homophobe because I'm a conservative Catholic, and no, I won't roll over and show my stomach.

Why on earth would anyone label you a bigot simply because you are a (conservative) Catholic? :laughing:

I've been called that. Naturally, not here. :)

I've been called that. Naturally, not here. :)

I've been called that too for not supporting Gay marriage :$

We were wondering if there are any gay groups that organize to do geocaching? So far, none of our gay friends seem to like geocaching as much as we do.

This has been asked a few times before but I don't recall ever seeing such a group established. Maybe you can look into starting one up yourself. Hope you can find, or maybe start, what you're looking for. :)

OP, are you on meetup? If there's a gay meetup group in your area, perhaps you can become an event organizer and organize geocaching events. I love meetup, it's a great way to meet new people.

Would they consider geocaching to be off-topic? I mean finding like-minded geocachers was the point of the thread, right?

Are you on meetup? Of course, it would depend on that particular group, but most groups are open to a variety of activities and happy to have help with event organzing. We do geocaching meetups with our homeschool meetup group.

I've tried very hard to stay out of this thread, but seriously. You can like and be friends with someone without condoning habits you feel are wrong or are not comfortable with. Like homosexuality, or smoking, or bad hygiene, or whatever. One trait does not make or define the whole person. The problem comes when it starts getting shoved in your face 24x7 to a point where it's the first and foremost thing you know about them.

I have friends that are gay. Does that sound cliched? I don't care, they're my friends. They don't rub it in my face, I don't force my worldview on them. What they do in private is their business, not mine. Ask me what I think, I'll tell you without lying. Start labelling me a bigot or a homophobe because I'm a conservative Catholic, and no, I won't roll over and show my stomach.

Homophobe is a highly inaccurate word, anyway. Anyone here have an irrational fear of gay people? I know I don't.

No one called you a homophobe. No one called you a bigot. No one asked what you thought of homosexuality.

Please don't "rub it in our faces" and keep your world view to yourself. It's extremely confusing that you found it hard not to post in this thread considering you had nothing to add to it.

I might feel differently if you had even bothered addressing the OP's question, but you took it as an invitation to defend yourself against an invisible attack instead.

The OP asked if you knew of any gay geocaching groups. They didn't ask if you would join one or what you thought of gay people who are all "in your face" with how gay they are.

If you aren't a homophobe, you aren't a homophobe. You don't need to protest so much.

EDIT: I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but I really don't see the point of letting everyone know what you think of homosexuality in the context of religion and personal values in a thread about gay people geocaching.

I certainly wouldn't start telling people what I thought of religion in a thread about church groups going out and caching together, and I wouldn't air my grievences with an orginization like the boy scouts in a thread about geocaching merit badges or whatever... who cares?

Edited by d+n.s

No one called you a homophobe. No one called you a bigot. No one asked what you thought of homosexuality.

Please don't "rub it in our faces" and keep your world view to yourself. It's extremely confusing that you found it hard not to post in this thread considering you had nothing to add to it.

I might feel differently if you had even bothered addressing the OP's question, but you took it as an invitation to defend yourself against an invisible attack instead.

The OP asked if you knew of any gay geocaching groups. They didn't ask if you would join one or what you thought of gay people who are all "in your face" with how gay they are.

If you aren't a homophobe, you aren't a homophobe. You don't need to protest so much.

EDIT: I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but I really don't see the point of letting everyone know what you think of homosexuality in the context of religion and personal values in a thread about gay people geocaching.

I certainly wouldn't start telling people what I thought of religion in a thread about church groups going out and caching together, and I wouldn't air my grievences with an orginization like the boy scouts in a thread about geocaching merit badges or whatever... who cares?

If you want to be indigent. look at post 15 from the OP for something that sounds bigoted, discriminatory and offensive:

"We really do simply have a better time in a gay white,straight male group, than not. I guess they get the jokes, or something. There are gay white straight male hiking groups, gay white straight male biking groups, white straight male travel groups, etc, and we've done these kind of groups gay white straight male and we've done them all-inclusive. And although we've had wonderful times on the all-inclusive events, we just have a lot more fun on the gay white straight male ones."

If it were posted with the edits I made, the poster would be burned at the stake, GS would take action. However as it was originally posted, this that may have opposing views on either the initial subject (the group) or the underlying reasons for that subject (lifestyle) have to walk on egg shells or keep it to themselves.

Unless someome is attracted to you and indicates it somehow to you while caching, you sexual preferences are of no consequence. If and when the subject is brought up in conversation, then deal with it, however I think it is safe to say that the likelihood of it ever being bought up is low.

You want the group, set it up in the cicles with which you hang, bring it into this forum, expect some push back.

If you want to be indigent. look at post 15 from the OP for something that sounds bigoted, discriminatory and offensive:

"We really do simply have a better time in a gay white,straight male group, than not. I guess they get the jokes, or something. There are gay white straight male hiking groups, gay white straight male biking groups, white straight male travel groups, etc, and we've done these kind of groups gay white straight male and we've done them all-inclusive. And although we've had wonderful times on the all-inclusive events, we just have a lot more fun on the gay white straight male ones."

If it were posted with the edits I made, the poster would be burned at the stake, GS would take action. However as it was originally posted, this that may have opposing views on either the initial subject (the group) or the underlying reasons for that subject (lifestyle) have to walk on egg shells or keep it to themselves.

Unless someome is attracted to you and indicates it somehow to you while caching, you sexual preferences are of no consequence. If and when the subject is brought up in conversation, then deal with it, however I think it is safe to say that the likelihood of it ever being bought up is low.

You want the group, set it up in the cicles with which you hang, bring it into this forum, expect some push back.

Perfectly said.

Why did you quote me? What does that have to do with what I posted there?

The percieved issue you raise has been addressed in this thread already, but it at least addresses the OP. Like I said, I totally understand why church groups would want to cache together, why regional clubs would have an interest in sharing ideas, why boy scouts would cache (a group that excludes homosexuals and athiests)together, why people with disablities would want to cache together and why gay people would maybe want to cache together...

but at least I can understand why you'd not feel the same. That's a little different than using the thread as an opportunity to address some vague wrong you've been dealt by people calling you a homophobe or whatever... so I'm not sure what you're getting at. We disagree on a seperate issue, but the person I was replying to has nothing to do with that.

That said, being a cultural minority is completely different than being the majority. This is simply a fact of life. The only source of disagreement is how much we aknowledge our differences.

In my opiniopn, pretending they are equal and creating such analogies is intellectually disingenous. If I was the only straight person I knew who liked geocaching, I think it would make sense that I'd be interested in finding other people like myself with wives and similar cultural backgrounds. It's human nature. That's where friends usually come from. Having things in common.

Should it be the sole factor in life? Not in my opinion, but when my single friends who like getting drunk go out to meet girls and get hammered, I don't get mad I wasn't invited either. I don't drink and I'm married. Sometimes it's nice to be around people with similar needs and wants. Sometimes it's nice to get outside your comfort zone and be around people who are completely different from you.

If you insist on pretending white, straight americans both have trouble finding each other and are somehow being treated unfairly by being excluded from an all gay caching group... that's your right.

Luckily, it's not an actual problem to get indignant about. Instead, I'll save my "indignance" for something that actually happened and not waste it on an imaginary scenario you've created. :P

That said, my indignance is an infinitely renewable resource and I'm completely capable of disagreeing with both scenarios whould they occur. I don't need to pick and choose. Seperate issues.

Edited by d+n.s

People on this site really grasp for reasons to be offended. Sheesh.

+1

If someone wants to find a group of like-minded folks, so be it. What's the big deal? I really, really hope the the OP can find a group that makes geocaching more enjoyable for them. We all should feel that way, regardless of what kind of group they are looking for. (Yes, go ahead and throw out some "I'm looking for a gay KKK-only group to cache with. THEY are more fun to hang out with..." comparison)

I don't care what your personal difference is. Geocaching is a good way to get together with others who have their own set of differences and, perhaps, figure out that our similarities out number the differences.

Be comfortable with who you are and try to make others comfortable with who they are.

I am unaware of any places where straight white males are routinely "outed" until they commit suicide, or made into targets of physical, or verbal harassment. When straight white males want to get married, they do not need to ask the public's permission, or be compared to animals. This is one reason why minority groups form, not to be inclusive, but only to seek out others like themselves. Perhaps there is a fear factor involved.

Most people who join gangs do it out of fear. They go into prison, and don't want to be all alone, and seen as fresh meat. So they find others like themselves to help protect them. Secret societies are similar also. Freemasons are not supposed to solicit membership, so usually they will create an environment to make the person come to them. Such as the story I read recently where 2 guys were out alone in the middle of nowhere and a constable rolled up and pointed a gun at them, said a few things, which put them into a state of high anxiety. Then one of the guys recognizes the constable as a mason, and introduces himself as such, and then suddenly the cop is helping them. The guy joins, not realizing the entire scenario was set up for him.

So there are gay people that want to seek out others? Why would straight people object to this? Or call it silly? Or even have any opinion about it at all? Perhaps there are straight people who would like to join a gay group, but feel that they would not be welcome? That hasn't occurred yet, but I don't think that straight people would be barred from such a group. Many years ago I was good friends with several lesbians, and was even the best man in a non-legal wedding in Tampa.(1993?) In fact, I was the only man in the wedding. My future wife thought it was hilarious, but they never made her, or me feel uncomfortable. Why don't you guys wait until a gay group forms first, and then see if they will allow you as a straight person to join before you complain about them being socially exclusive?

I'm not gay, but I love rainbows!!!! :D:lol:

I've stayed away as long as possible.

I've never heard of a caching group actually being for a particular group, except for the Jeep groups but there seems to be a large number of people on those trips that are not cachers.

I'm not sure there would be enough gay folks caching in any one area to have a group of gay cachers that would be able to meet in person to go caching.

Such as the story I read recently where 2 guys were out alone in the middle of nowhere and a constable rolled up and pointed a gun at them, said a few things, which put them into a state of high anxiety. Then one of the guys recognizes the constable as a mason, and introduces himself as such, and then suddenly the cop is helping them. The guy joins, not realizing the entire scenario was set up for him.

I am a Mason, and let me say, if I (or any of the Masons I know) had heard about this first hand there would have been two less Masons in the fraternity.

On topic, I don't see any difference between the OP asking about a gay geocaching group or the recent thread about nude geocaching. Start whatever sub groups you like, just don't expect any special treatment or concessions that folks not in your sub group don't have.

Edit: Sorry, not sure how to use the quote function properly

Edited by chrisandjanet
Such as the story I read recently where 2 guys were out alone in the middle of nowhere and a constable rolled up and pointed a gun at them, said a few things, which put them into a state of high anxiety. Then one of the guys recognizes the constable as a mason, and introduces himself as such, and then suddenly the cop is helping them. The guy joins, not realizing the entire scenario was set up for him.

I am a Mason, and let me say, if I (or any of the Masons I know) had heard about this first hand there would have been two less Masons in the fraternity.

On topic, I don't see any difference between the OP asking about a gay geocaching group or the recent thread about nude geocaching. Start whatever sub groups you like, just don't expect any special treatment or concessions that folks not in your sub group don't have.

Edit: Sorry, not sure how to use the quote function properly

Yes! Equal rights! :ph34r:

I feel that it should be said that there is a keen difference between creating a geocaching group based off of one's occupation or religion, than one created solely because on one's sexual orientation.

As one other poster attested to, if we are at a geocaching event for example, and some geocacher there is being obnoxious enough that others around them are informed of their sexual orientation; that's an issue in itself.

We cannot compare "geocaching groups" equally across eachother. What if I created a neo-nazi geocaching group? Culturally, would that be seen as equal as a "military" geocacher's group?

Something tells me there is a reason that there is a lack of "gay geocaching groups" in the community; and it has nothing to do with a "minority vs majority" issue... but moreover that sexual orientation has never had a place in this hobby, or many others for that matter; it's not culturally appropriate, regardless of which sexual preference it is.

Like I said, I totally understand why church groups would want to cache together, why regional clubs would have an interest in sharing ideas, why boy scouts would cache (a group that excludes homosexuals and athiests)together, why people with disablities would want to cache together and why gay people would maybe want to cache together...

I want to join a GIMP (Geocachers Impeded by Mobility Problems) group. Does one exist already or do I have to start one?

GIMP.jpg

Straight dorky white guy here. I would like to meet an all-lesbian geocaching group to hang out and party with. Send replies directly to 4wheelin_fool. Thanks!

You forgot to say IBTL.

IBTL!

I had a well thought-out reply ready to post, but no matter how I looked at it it just seemed patronizing.

It's like going to a NASCAR race and looking for the section that only likes strawberry ice cream.

Nah.............. I was going to try NASCAR but I couldn't find the section for people who like RIGHT turns!

Something tells me there is a reason that there is a lack of "gay geocaching groups" in the community; and it has nothing to do with a "minority vs majority" issue... but moreover that sexual orientation has never had a place in this hobby, or many others for that matter; it's not culturally appropriate, regardless of which sexual preference it is.

Something tells me the lack of gay geocaching groups has to do with people like you. Ones who tell them that their orientation has no place in this hobby, but everybody elses minute detail of thier lives is totally acceptable.

For some people thier orientation defines them more than thier job, thier religion or anything else. If they want to join or create a group more power to them.

<snip>

Please don't "rub it in our faces" and keep your world view to yourself.

<snip>

<snip>

Someone's crack about religion set off my reaction - and I can't find it now, maybe it was edited out.

So everyone else is allowed to discuss this, but I shouldn't? Okay.

And there's still no such thing as a homophobe, except in very rare cases.

Edited by Sioneva

As one other poster attested to, if we are at a geocaching event for example, and some geocacher there is being obnoxious enough that others around them are informed of their sexual orientation; that's an issue in itself.

So when I call my girlfriend "honey" or "baby" where others can overhear, I am being obnoxious? We don't have to be making out or making fools of ourselves to be obviously gay.

I am glad people here believe in a live and let live mantality. The truth is though, than until random people start telling you you're going to hell just because you are sitting too close to another woman for their comfort, you can't really understand. You begin to prefer being in a group where you don't have to hide. Most of my friends are straight, but if I am joining a group of strangers, I just feel safer around "family".

I feel that it should be said that there is a keen difference between creating a geocaching group based off of one's occupation or religion, than one created solely because on one's sexual orientation.

We cannot compare "geocaching groups" equally across eachother. What if I created a neo-nazi geocaching group? Culturally, would that be seen as equal as a "military" geocacher's group?

I think it has a lot to do with intolerance, mis/disinformation and good, ol' fashioned history. (And that it sounds like you only know "gays" from unfortunate stereotypes if you think "they" are "obnoxious" or feel the need to blurt our their sexual orientation at events...) It's things like that which make "them" "different" to you. "They" shouldn't have to share their orientation, as it shouldn't be an issue to you. If someone at an event didn't say a word about sexual orientation, but you "found out" that they were gay, how would you react? Would you suddenly change your behavior? Avoid them? Badmouth them? Or would you not care and look at them as a person who isn't offending you in any other way than the fact that you suddenly are fixating on their sexual orientation?

Explain to me how a religiously affiliated group is different from a "gay" group. Just because you don't share views with a "gay" group, you think they don't deserve recognition? So would you be ok with a Pastafarian geocaching group, or would that upset your sensibilities as a Christian?

The OP simply wanted to get into the game in a comfortable setting. This is no different than me saying something like I don't want to cache with people from the south, because they talk about different things than I do as a northerner. (Which isn't true, btw)

I'm with MisterEFQ and MadamSmall. Nobody ever said that you had to hang out with a "gay geocaching group" if you don't want to. But why tell a respectful, non-violent, well-intentioned person that they cannot ask if there is a group of like-minded cachers that would make the game more welcoming?

<snip>

Please don't "rub it in our faces" and keep your world view to yourself.

<snip>

<snip>

Someone's crack about religion set off my reaction - and I can't find it now, maybe it was edited out.

So everyone else is allowed to discuss this, but I shouldn't? Okay.

And there's still no such thing as a homophobe, except in very rare cases.

I never said you weren't allowed to discuss this. I don't get to make those sorts of decisions, and I actually encouraged you to discuss what the OP asked about.

Instead you insist on arguing the finer points about the existence of homophobes? It has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. It's just a personal agenda you feel like bringing up randomly.

I'm not going to debate why you think there aren't people who are afraid of homosexuality (except in rare situations where there is?) I'm assuming you've never met a teenage boy afraid he'd come across as gay. Maybe you've never heard somone rant about the "gay agenda" poisoning our youth.

Whatever the case, let's say its true.

Lets say we all agree that there is no such thing as a homophobe (except in rare occaisions when there is)...

What does that have to do with a fellow user finding a community of gay people caching together as a group exactly?

I'm not saying you meant any harm or anything. It's just curious behaviour that comes across as looking for a fight where there is none.

And the inverse happens to...

Example:

Q: "Are there any caching groups out there for Christians?"

A: "I'm tired of Christians telling me I'm going to hell. Hell isn't even clearly defined in the bible! I don't have a problem with christians generally speaking, but when they push their religion on me, boy it's unfair! Keep it to yourselves people."

Either way, either example, it's confusing and counter-productive...

Edited by d+n.s

<snip>

What does that have to do with a fellow user finding a community of gay people caching together as a group exactly?

I'm not saying you meant any harm or anything. It's just curious behaviour that comes across as looking for a fight where there is none.

Example:

A: "I'm tired of Christians telling me I'm going to hell. Hell isn't even clearly defined in the bible! I don't have a problem with christians generally speaking, but when they push their religion on me, boy it's unfair! Keep it to yourselves people."

You know what? You are absolutely right, and I apologize. I was (over)reacting to what someone had said about religion, rather than looking for a fight; but I was out of line and off-topic. And too ornery to want to admit it.

On topic, though: I think it's silly to form a group based on what a person IS, rather then based on an activity someone can voluntarily choose to do. Hence my joke about forming a group for blonde haired people under 5'3".

I do not see that going out caching with a group that shares a common occupation or religion - or any other common interest - is in any way different than people of the same sexual orientation who want to cache together. There is nothing culturally inappropriate about it.

At most geocaching events I know nothing about other people's religion, politics, occupation, or group affiliations. I only know about their sexual orientation if they come with their partners (or talk about their noncaching partner), which is how it should be. But I have been to events where the scouts had a table - although my atheist or gay friends would not be welcome to participate in that. And I attended a geowoodstock event that included people selling illegal alien geocoins that I found distasteful. But I always say hello to my scouting friends; I shrugged my shoulders at the immigration folks; and I remind myself that this game attracts a number of diverse people.

The diversity of the game is something to be celebrated. As a defense attorney I probably would never have gone out hiking with a CHP officer or scout leader if not for the way this game has brought people together, which would have been my loss.

But I tend to cache with people I like for reasons that are outside the game. So if gays want to cache together, I do not see anything inappropriate about it. I think that such groups form informally - which is why there is no gay caching group on a wider level. But if one were to form, I would view it exactly as I do the Masonic caching association. I do admit that I would have other reactions if the Ku Klux Kachers organized a group - but that involves factors that need not be discussed here.

Edited by mulvaney

<snip>

Example:

You know what? You are absolutely right, and I apologize. I was (over)reacting to what someone had said about religion, rather than looking for a fight; but I was out of line and off-topic. And too ornery to want to admit it.

On topic, though: I think it's silly to form a group based on what a person IS, rather then based on an activity someone can voluntarily choose to do. Hence my joke about forming a group for blonde haired people under 5'3".

Eh, it happens. :lol: Being bored at work, I'm just left with nothing better to do than notice :lol:

I would find the link, but I'm not at a computer right now. Perhaps the person that posted it in off topic would volunteer to share more details?

Or not. :rolleyes:

I've stayed out of this as it is generally too political/sensitive for my liking. But I'd just like to make a couple of comments.

1. I applaud Sinoeva for looking that their posting and apologizing.

2. I can see how a someone would want to form a group based on what they are. Not based on their height or shoe size, but based on something which is very important culturally (like sexual orientation). Or based on other factors where a group has a special need; e.g. a blind geocaching group.

So it does not seem odd at all to me for the OP to ask the question about gay geocaching groups. However, given that geocaching - whilst growing in popularity - is done by a small minority, and for the group to work the people need to be local; it seems the chance of finding a local gay geocaching group would be small.

I would find the link, but I'm not at a computer right now. Perhaps the person that posted it in off topic would volunteer to share more details?

Perhaps the Masonic Geocaching Society can help.

Edited by mulvaney

I think it has a lot to do with intolerance, mis/disinformation and good, ol' fashioned history.

Whoa there, NeverSummer. OregonCacher didn't say anything about a specific sexual orientation; he said that ANY sexual orientation is irrelevant to geocaching.

Perhaps the Masonic Geocaching Society can help.

Well that's just silly, a Masonic geocaching group? Why not a bacon lovers, NASCAR geocaching group? :rolleyes: Since 10 percent of the population is gay, and only 1 percent is Masonic, the amount of Masonic cachers in any given area is very small.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I think it has a lot to do with intolerance, mis/disinformation and good, ol' fashioned history.

Whoa there, NeverSummer. OregonCacher didn't say anything about a specific sexual orientation; he said that ANY sexual orientation is irrelevant to geocaching.

Perhaps not in that post, but if you look at the others, it becomes pretty clear what the issue is.

And I agree that it is irrelevant. Which is why I said what I said below the snipped quote. I just hope that the same limit on tolerance would be issued to anyone who decides to talk explicitly about who they love. Otherwise, it's just another person who has a different story, and shouldn't be disregarded as a needless interest group. (See religious groups, other clubs or affiliations, etc who form "groups" to go geocaching)

I want to find a group of bacon lovers to cache with. They should love bacon, but not to the extent there isn't plenty left for me.

This is very important in my geocaching endeavors.

But only if you buy the bacon at the store, please.

epic-fail-photos-animal-rights-fail.jpg

Probably wrote that sitting in a leather chair drinking milk wearing leather shoes.

Perhaps not in that post, but if you look at the others, it becomes pretty clear what the issue is.

And I agree that it is irrelevant. Which is why I said what I said below the snipped quote. I just hope that the same limit on tolerance would be issued to anyone who decides to talk explicitly about who they love. Otherwise, it's just another person who has a different story, and shouldn't be disregarded as a needless interest group. (See religious groups, other clubs or affiliations, etc who form "groups" to go geocaching)

Thank you "GeoGeeBee" I was about to say the same thing myself: "Whoa there, NeverSummer. OregonCacher didn't say anything about a specific sexual orientation; he said that ANY sexual orientation is irrelevant to geocaching." - GeoGeeBee

Let me be very clear on what I meant; when I'm geocaching, I don't want to know what goes on in the bedroom of the cacher's I'm with; gay, straight, or anything in between.

Several people made comments asserting the following: "There is no difference between a occupational or religious group, and a group based upon sexual orientation".

To the above statement, I completely disagree, however many people feel differently about different things in this world, so I think the only thing I can say is agree to disagree.

An occupation is what you do, not who you are. What if I made a blonde-hair only group, or an African American group? I could drag this analogy on forever, but my point with it is, is that in my opinion, there is a very significant difference between banding together for a common purpose based upon a group-commonality of "what people do, or what (not who) they like" and what their sexual-preference is.

If I went geocaching with someone who turned out to be Gay, I would not have any issue with it, as long as it wasn't a part of our discussion as we were geocaching; just as I would not speak about my sexual preference/experiences with fellow-cachers unless they were close, personal friends, and I also knew it would be perceived well and appropriately by anyone and every person.

Edited by OregonCacher

Thank you "GeoGeeBee" I was about to say the same thing myself: "Whoa there, NeverSummer. OregonCacher didn't say anything about a specific sexual orientation; he said that ANY sexual orientation is irrelevant to geocaching." - GeoGeeBee

Let me be very clear on what I meant; when I'm geocaching, I don't want to know what goes on in the bedroom of the cacher's I'm with; gay, straight, or anything in between.

Several people made comments asserting the following: "There is no difference between a occupational or religious group, and a group based upon sexual orientation".

To the above statement, I completely disagree, however many people feel differently about different things in this world, so I think the only thing I can say is agree to disagree.

An occupation is what you do, not who you are. What if I made a blonde-hair only group, or an African American group? I could drag this analogy on forever, but my point with it is, is that in my opinion, there is a very significant difference between banding together for a common purpose based upon a group-commonality of "what people do, or what (not who) they like" and what their sexual-preference is.

If I went geocaching with someone who turned out to be Gay, I would not have any issue with it, as long as it wasn't a part of our discussion as we were geocaching; just as I would not speak about my sexual preference/experiences with fellow-cachers unless they were close, personal friends, and I also knew it would be perceived well and appropriately by anyone and every person.

Thank you for saying it so well!

Edited by Sioneva

That was my story. The way my buddy's lodge card changed the Constable from suspicious cop to trusted friend in a few seconds impressed the heck out of me! It's what made me want to become a Mason.

Same buddy, a year later... we're boogeying thru the night, maybe 2 a.m., on a fishing trip. His car, my boat, the trailer lights pigtail doesn't match, so we got no tail lights. 81 mph on a 45 mph back road headed for the lake and yes, George Dickel was involved. State Trooper stops us. The Trooper see's Scott's ring, Scott whispers a few words in the Troopers ear, he gets a flashlight from the trunk of his patrol car, tapes it to the boat motor so we'll have some tail light and tells us to slow it down. "Dang!" says I to me, "I want a ring like that!" :huh:

However, the fraternity and interactive love, trust and support among good men doing good things is what kept me a Mason and caused me to be made a Knight Templar and a Shriner, and my wife an Eastern Star. The fact that we do business together whenever possible and look out for each other is nice but it's not why one is a Mason.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I hope I cut this quote right. Here's the deal when I meet strangers, even caching, certain topics always come up. Because I have ovaries one of the first questions I am always asked is "Do you have children?" Then eventually relationship status comes up.

I know this might be hard for many people to want to understand but being LGBT is NOT just what happens in the bedroom. It's not just a particular act in bed. It's not just having sex. Believe it or not we have normal relationships just like everyone else.

So say we start having a normal friendly conversation. Say you mention something about your opposite gendered partner if you have one. Now I mention something about my same gendered partner. Has NOTHING to do with sex. It has to do with my relationships and now you know generally what my sexual orientation is.

Or how about this. I show up at an event with my partner. We're holding hands. Maybe we even hug as couples are prone to do on occasion. It has NOTHING to do with sex but you now know what my orientation is. Or maybe I don't come with a partner but maybe we have friendly conversation about work or our lives because in my experience there are finite number of geocaching topics to talk about. And realistically most people want to get to know their fellow cachers as people. Who I am as a person includes who my partner is and subsequently the fact that I am part of the LGBT community. It is also my job. It is also my other hobbies. A lot of things make up who I am.

I would never ask a straight person to not show love to their partners in public. I wouldn't say don't hug in front of me or hold hands because your straightness makes me uncomfortable. I would enjoy being in the presence of that love and I certainly wouldn't say they are jamming their sexuality down my throat unless they are disrobing and doing it right there in front of me.

Because I don't know how the straight community is going to respond to me having a same gendered life partner when I have a partner I am at times much more comfortable going out with other people in the LGBT or allied community. I mean take this thread for a example. Lots of things have been thrown around. Say this was an event and I never knew any of you and say I showed up with my partner only to find all you all that uncomfortable with it. How do you think I would feel about that? I like to know when meeting groups that the most basic aspects of who I am will be ok so I don't leave feeling like a big old pile of poo. Or being made to feel so uncomfortable that I want to crawl into a hole.

You're also dealing with someone here who has literally been threatened with violence of all sorts just for going out to eat with a same gendered partner. Who has had be subjected to vandalism and horrible hateful things being yelled at me all because I held I hands, hugged or went out on a normal date with a same gendered person. After dealing with that in my personal life of course in my geocaching life which is just a microcosm of the larger society I might just want to occasionally hang out with people who I know have experienced the same (if not worse). I don't have to explain then why I feel the way I feel or worry about things I worry about. I don't have to question what's going to happen if I go out into the woods with someone who suddenly figures out that I'm in the community and is suddenly not so ok with that. I've been in situations like that in other areas of my life and it's a horrible feeling.

Also, if people are that uncomfortable with who I am or who any LGBT person is then I don't particularly want to subject myself to that either. If people can't see past the sex act and into the fact that I do have loving, normal relationships, a normal job and a pretty normal life... it's not really someone that I want to hang with. And I'm quite sure the people who are that uncomfortable would be much happier to not be subjected to hanging out with me either in that case...

That's really all I have to say on this topic. I can't make people understand what it's like to live this life or feel the way I feel. Or have to be faced with the threats and violence I have been faced with just because of who I love. I can't ever make people understand but I wish I could.