gay geocaching group

We were wondering if there are any gay groups that organize to do geocaching? So far, none of our gay friends seem to like geocaching as much as we do.

Not trying to spark confrontation here but I have to ask: why should the sexual orientation of the geocaching group one goes out with have any bearing on their enjoyment of the activity, especially with an activity where sexual orientation has no involvement?

Edited by OregonCacher

OregonCacher - sometimes people just like being in their element, with others that they feel they can be themselves around. I know that feeling.

On the reverse side, I prefer to geocache with just one other person, my girlfriend. I don't see a need to seek out other lesbians to go. *shrug*

In answer to your actual question...no. I don't know of any. Check with your local pride center, if you have one.

So far, none of our gay friends seem to like geocaching as much as we do.

I think you could just remove the bolded text and you'd find agreement with most people on the forum regardless of what subpopulation they belong to. Geocaching is and will always be a fringe activity.

As to your original question, I have not heard of such. Sounds like you can try to start one if you like.

Geocaching can be enjoyed by anyone! Regardless of Gender, Age, Race, or Sexuality. That's one of the best parts about it! However, I feel as though starting this group may be a challenge if you don't have many Gay geocachers in your area.

I don't see your intentions with hanging out with gay geocachers though. If you are trying to find a mate, there is probably better avenue's. If you already have a mate, then you might want to geocache with him. I would get mad if my Gay partner hung out with other Gay people... What if he was cheating? As I am not Gay, I may have this all wrong, maybe you guys like to hang out together as some sort of huge international clique (Which makes sense as many Gays like to join Pride Marches). If that is the case your best bet would be to join a local Gay club, and introduce them to Geocaching, possibly plan a weekly outing as part of the schedule of things your Gay group does. I doubt very many will geocache outside of the once a week outing, but hey, at least you get some geocaching time with them.

An even better idea might be to start your own website, where gay geocachers can communicate and talk through forums. Sort of like many local forums, but anyone who is gay and also geocacher can join, regardless of location. If you have no knowledge of web design, you could always hire someone to do it for you, but this could be costly.

I wish you luck!

Geocaching can be enjoyed by anyone! Regardless of Gender, Age, Race, or Sexuality. That's one of the best parts about it! However, I feel as though starting this group may be a challenge if you don't have many Gay geocachers in your area.

I don't see your intentions with hanging out with gay geocachers though. If you are trying to find a mate, there is probably better avenue's. If you already have a mate, then you might want to geocache with him. I would get mad if my Gay partner hung out with other Gay people... What if he was cheating? As I am not Gay, I may have this all wrong, maybe you guys like to hang out together as some sort of huge international clique (Which makes sense as many Gays like to join Pride Marches). If that is the case your best bet would be to join a local Gay club, and introduce them to Geocaching, possibly plan a weekly outing as part of the schedule of things your Gay group does. I doubt very many will geocache outside of the once a week outing, but hey, at least you get some geocaching time with them.

An even better idea might be to start your own website, where gay geocachers can communicate and talk through forums. Sort of like many local forums, but anyone who is gay and also geocacher can join, regardless of location. If you have no knowledge of web design, you could always hire someone to do it for you, but this could be costly.

I wish you luck!

I feel as if you replaced the word "gay" in the thread title to "straight", it would seem as if I was either homophobic or non-tolerant.

In my mind, and others may disagree, sexual orientation has no place in this hobby except within the confines of yourself.

When my friend and I cache together it could probably be considered a gay caching group.

There are numerous groups that geocache together as can be seen under the organized caching thread. Sometimes people just want to be around liked minded people when they cache. Is that so wrong?

When my friend and I cache together it could probably be considered a gay caching group.

There are numerous groups that geocache together as can be seen under the organized caching thread. Sometimes people just want to be around liked minded people when they cache. Is that so wrong?

Not at all. Go for it.

Inherent in that activity absolutely not, but as I said before, if I made a thread looking for straight only geocaching groups, I would be called intolerant and would be flamed.

Edited by OregonCacher

Inherent in that activity absolutely not, but as I said before, if I made a thread looking for straight only geocaching groups, I would be called intolerant and would be flamed.

If you made a thread looking for a straight group I'd respect your desire to not be around people like me. Simple as that. You'd want to be around like minded people that understood the troubles that straight people face day to day that I can't imagine since I'm not one of them.

Sometimes I want to have a women's only caching group. I wouldn't care if men weren't involved.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Just because some gay people want to hang out with other gay people because there is some commonality there in life experiences doesn't mean you have to play the phobe card. Honest to goodness. Perhaps people who react as you do are the reason this individual would like to find other gay people to be around so they don't have to listen to it.

Perhaps people who react as you do are the reason this individual would like to find other gay people to be around so they don't have to listen to it.

I have nothing wrong with people being gay. In attempt to prevent this thread from being blown out of proportion, I will end with one last statement.

I don't see or feel any need to discuss my sexuality with anyone but my girlfriend, thus anyone I cache with would have no idea as to what my sexual orientation is, nor would I know of theirs. That's the way it should be.

Edited by OregonCacher

Hmmm, This thread took a surprsing path.... Actually, what I was asking was were there gay people on geocaching.com that organize group events in our area that we could participate in. Maybe we'll start one up, and see what happens. Always great to make new friends, which was the intent.

Anyway, there were many good suggestions here, so thanks.

We really do simply have a better time in a gay group, than not. I guess they get the jokes, or something. There are gay hiking groups, gay biking groups, gay travel groups, etc, and we've done these kind of groups gay and we've done them all-inclusive. And although we've had wonderful times on the all-inclusive events, we just have a lot more fun on the gay ones.

I hope you're not thinking about sex now, that's not what I mean. (joke)

Straight dorky white guy here. I would like to meet an all-lesbian geocaching group to hang out and party with. Send replies directly to 4wheelin_fool. Thanks!

You forgot to say IBTL.

IBTL!

I had a well thought-out reply ready to post, but no matter how I looked at it it just seemed patronizing.

It's like going to a NASCAR race and looking for the section that only likes strawberry ice cream.

Straight dorky white guy here. I would like to meet an all-lesbian geocaching group to hang out and party with. Send replies directly to 4wheelin_fool. Thanks!

Like that's gonna happen. :lol: Ironically enough, I just joined the Military Association of Geocachers today (even though they've been around for a long time). Not much of a difference there, as far as far as a Geocaching group with a common interest. And yes, I'm wearing Asbestos underwear right now. :o

Personally, I've never heard of Gay Geocacher's group. The OP could easily start it themselves though.

I haven't heard of one yet either. You can start your own though.

It's interesting how some people really react to the word gay.

This thread isn't about discussing whether some people approve of people getting together with their own kind, it's about finding one's own kind.

Any group has things in common that make it easier to hang out with them. It makes sense to me that gay people would sometimes want to hang out with just gay people because they have the common understanding of things, like people's reaction to the word "gay" for instance.

It's like you hanging out with muggles and trying to cache with muggles all the time. They just don't understand why it's so much fun for you to cache. Then now and then you get together with a group of cachers who really understand what it's like. You don't have to be caching to just enjoy being around people who understand you. (why do you go to events??)

Gay people don't have to be involved in being sexual at the moment to want to be around people who understand the struggle it is to be gay. Gay people are very misunderstood in our culture (and around the world). Why shouldn't they want to hang out and have fun with people they can be comfortable around?

Perhaps people who react as you do are the reason this individual would like to find other gay people to be around so they don't have to listen to it.

I have nothing wrong with people being gay. In attempt to prevent this thread from being blown out of proportion, I will end with one last statement.

I don't see or feel any need to discuss my sexuality with anyone but my girlfriend, thus anyone I cache with would have no idea as to what my sexual orientation is, nor would I know of theirs. That's the way it should be.

Then don't discuss your sexuality. What is the issue? If other people want to be around like minded people what is your issue with it?

I don't need to know who the masons are yet they have a geocaching group. Nor do I need to do know who the firefighters who cache are or hte military people who cache are. There's groups there as well. Women have women's groups who cache. Men have mens groups who cache together.

It's as simple as an interest group. It was absolutely nothing to bristle and get passive aggressive about in your post. I'm able to better identify with people who live a similar life as me. As said before they get the jokes, they get the trials and tribulations. I don't have to worry about how they feel about having one of "us" hanging around (which is apparently a HUGE problem to some). Just like all the other interest groups. People from a common background just get it and I like hanging out with people who just get it. And if I choose to bring a partner of the same gender out with me it's not a "to do" with being told it needs to be kept in the bedroom. I can have my public displays of affection just like straight people do but without having to worry about it insulting those who are not comfortable with people like me.

It's just like I don't hang out with people who are uncomfortable with tattoos and piercings because I don't want to be uncomfortable by how they're going to react to me. I'd rather just people around people who get it.

We were wondering if there are any gay groups that organize to do geocaching? So far, none of our gay friends seem to like geocaching as much as we do.

Not trying to spark confrontation here but I have to ask: why should the sexual orientation of the geocaching group one goes out with have any bearing on their enjoyment of the activity, especially with an activity where sexual orientation has no involvement?

I have to admit that my initial reaction was pretty much the same as yours. But consider this... say you find yourself living in an area where 90% of the people are gay. You are not. You take up geocaching, and geeze... every event you go to, every time you run into other cachers on the trail, any time you try to get a group together for caching... gay. Gay talk, and even if not, just gay attitudes toward things. You get very tired of it, so you post a thread to the forums asking, "We were wondering if there are any straight groups that organize to do geocaching?"

Are you posting a question about your sexuality? Or are you just looking for a group that fits your lifestyle?

Why is it ok to have a military association of cachers, or born again christian caching club, but the question of a gay group coming up presents all sorts of resentments.

The last time I was this offended by posters on a thread, was a thread about a cache I placed in a cruising spot and a breeder got all paranoid about it.

Then the euphemisms followed, each more offensive than the next. which really perturbed me.

I see they started already. Which I am surprised Groundspeak let it go.

Really folks,why can't people with something more than the love of caching form a group? Why is the military assoc of cachers ok and not a gay group.

The arguement made about being straight holds as much water as an argument about a "white only" club.

BTW, I am a straight, gay friendly woman from NYC. (And quite proud of what my state just legalized!)

Good luck lcandela123!

Excuse me for finding this humorous. I responded the same way when a similar thread was posted a few years ago. I asked, 'what does sexual orientation have to do with geocaching?' and spent the next couple pages having to defend the question. (I'm going to have to go find that one)

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ah yes, December of 2008. Not exactly the same topic

I think the discussion should be related to geocaching in regards to their profession, hobby, or ilk. And for the most part jeep owners, cops, pilots, military, and many others keep it in that regard. Environment and inclination.

Meaning that it doesn't matter what the person is or does, but this is the place for geocaching. Make it about about geocaching and I have no complaint. You want to trade recipes find another site.

Edited to add that if you want to start a Hetro/Bi/Homo/Mono/etc geocachng club, go for it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have to admit that my initial reaction was pretty much the same as yours. But consider this... say you find yourself living in an area where 90% of the people are gay. You are not. You take up geocaching, and geeze... every event you go to, every time you run into other cachers on the trail, any time you try to get a group together for caching... gay. Gay talk, and even if not, just gay attitudes toward things. You get very tired of it, so you post a thread to the forums asking, "We were wondering if there are any straight groups that organize to do geocaching?"

How many geocaching events have you been to where people are talking about there choices and preferences in the bedroom?

Are any of these events coming up? :P

I think the discussion should be related to geocaching in regards to their profession, hobby, or ilk. And for the most part jeep owners, cops, pilots, military, and many others keep it in that regard. Environment and inclination.

Meaning that it doesn't matter what the person is or does, but this is the place for geocaching. Make it about about geocaching and I have no complaint. You want to trade recipes find another site.

Edited to add that if you want to start a Hetro/Bi/Homo/Mono/etc geocachng club, go for it.

He does ask the question about geocaching..."Any gay groups?"

Just as I like Geocaching/Jeeping threads, there is no difference in that sense. He is just asking the question. It is ok to ask questions.

He does ask the question about geocaching..."Any gay groups?"

Just as I like Geocaching/Jeeping threads, there is no difference in that sense. He is just asking the question. It is ok to ask questions.

Absolutely.

Edit: oh and to throw another log on the fire. gc.com supports women-only events and I agree with that as well.

Edited by BlueDeuce

How many geocaching events have you been to where people are talking about there choices and preferences in the bedroom?

hmm that's a good idea for an event on Family Day next February :anibad:

Edit: oh and to throw another log on the fire. gc.com supports women-only events and I agree with that as well.

they do?...heck i wouldn't want to go to a women's only event even if they paid me :laughing:

Edited by t4e

they do?...heck i wouldn't want to go to a women's only event even if they paid me :laughing:

Stay away from those quilter events as well. TRUST ME.

Amish, Mennonite, Beachy quilters? :ph34r:

Old ladies, duh. "Oh sweetie, could you carry out the trash for me? That would be so nice. Isn't he a nice man? I should introduce him to my granddaughter."

(Shudder)

Stay away from those quilter events as well. TRUST ME.

Amish, Mennonite, Beachy quilters? :ph34r:

Old ladies, duh. "Oh sweetie, could you carry out the trash for me? That would be so nice. Isn't he a nice man? I should introduce him to my granddaughter."

(Shudder)

Both of my grandmothers LOVE quilting and yes, sometime I do roll my eyes of what they talk about at quilting events. LOL

Well, first of all... who said anything about talking about bedroom preferences? You don't need to be explicit to make your sexual orientation clear, and I was not necessarily referring to anything explicit anyway. There are a million subtle ways in which we express ourselves.

OP, are you on meetup? If there's a gay meetup group in your area, perhaps you can become an event organizer and organize geocaching events. I love meetup, it's a great way to meet new people.

Would they consider geocaching to be off-topic? I mean finding like-minded geocachers was the point of the thread, right?

Well, I have seen various threads pertaining to geocaching in a group that does not permit "avowed" gays to join. So by that measure there is certainly nothing wrong with the present thread. I also would see nothing wrong with groups for Christian cachers, Buddhist cachers, African-American cachers, happily married cachers, or other affinities.

But unfortunately I know of nothing that is organized for gays. Perhaps it could be started. If there is an organized local caching group, it might be a good place to see if anyone is interested in a hike or going out caching together

Edited by mulvaney

GET REAL!

I think the OP was trying to do exactly that. In any event, there have been a few LGBT threads over the years, which might indicate an interest. But as a general matter, most of my friends are not that interested in caching. I found it was better to do things informally with people who enjoy the game than try to get friends, colleagues, or spouses involved - and in the process I made new friends. So local caching groups might be a good place to start - our group in the SF Bay Area, for instance, has a forum where group caching notices can be posted. If there is something like that where you live, you could see if there is an interest in the gay caching community.

Edited by mulvaney

Hope you find one. I have two gay friends and one is casually into caching. He'll do a night cache with a group or something, but I don't think he seeks them on his own.

The other could care less about tupperware :)

Are you posting a question about your sexuality? Or are you just looking for a group that fits your lifestyle?

This is a pretty fantastic reply. Being a white middle class straight married male, I know it can be hard to identify with minorities and understand that the "rules" (for lack of a better word) aren't the same for everyone because LIFE isn't the same for everyone. If I started a geocaching group for people who aren't deaf, it would be weird and unfair to people who can't hear. However a group for deaf geocachers makes complete sense.

I don't have trouble finding people who have a basic shared social background as myself... except that I don't care about sports.... boy I wish I cared about sports :)

and cars

Edited by d+n.s

Why is it that we feel the need to segregate ourselves by irrelevant group descriptors? Cant we just be geocachers?

There are plenty of people who have extreme hatred towards them, including self-loathing religious types who often get caught in a secret gay affair, themselves.

Their segregtion is more of a reaction to society, than intentional inclusion, and a way to communicate to others like themselves. When one gets their a** kicked somewhere, they often like to signal to the others for assistance of some sort.

If there were people being physically assaulted because of their love for bacon, I'm sure a exclusive bacon lovers group would form. :rolleyes:

I want to find a group of bacon lovers to cache with. They should love bacon, but not to the extent there isn't plenty left for me.

This is very important in my geocaching endeavors.

But only if you buy the bacon at the store, please.

epic-fail-photos-animal-rights-fail.jpg