Pocket Query Log Files

Gravitysmith

Is there any way to get more log notes to show up in pocket queries? It appears pocket queries only contain the last 5 notes. If I go to the page for an individual cache, and choose to download the GPX file, then I get the last 20 log notes, which is an improvement. Ideally I would like ALL the logs included with my pocket query.

The reason I ask is because there have been a few caches I only found after reading back through many log files. For one of my latest finds, I printed out 15 pages of log files and took them with me since they often make much more sense when at the physical location. The clue I needed was actually 1 year and 32 logs prior. I really want to go paperless, but the 5 log limit in pocket queries is causing me to log a lot more DNFs than I prefer. Any suggestions? Is there some sort of setting I can change on my account?

Thanks for your help.

Your need for the logs will diminish as you become more familiar with how caches are typically hidden. You'll start to pick up a knack for finding caches. The first couple of month i was caching i had many DNFs that turned into face palms due to how easy they where to find. I just wasn't use to seeing the different cache containers and how they tend to be hidden. I too used the logs quite a bit. I would sit down and read through them all before heading out. Now my only use for the logs is to see if it may be missing, damaged or if the cords are way off.

Thanks. So I guess there is no easy solution I was hoping for.

As for building intuition, I find that happening at a very rapid pace. My first lesson was to trust my GPS to get me to ground zero. The cache was right where the coordinates said it would be. My second lesson has been not to trust ground zero too much, especially around buildings where the coordinates vary with where you stand. I know ground zero can be triangulated from direction readings from several positions, but I am actually starting to wonder if some people intentionally mark the cache a little bit away from where it should be just to add drama or to make things slightly tougher. On the up side, I am learning the bounds of human ingenuity when it comes to hiding little pieces of paper.

I am having fun though, and that is the most important thing.

I know ground zero can be triangulated from direction readings from several positions, but I am actually starting to wonder if some people intentionally mark the cache a little bit away from where it should be just to add drama or to make things slightly tougher.

No, I don't think so. Different days with different satellite alignments can give different readings, in fact on the same day you can get different readings depending on how the satellites moved. The Multipath next to a building can play havoc with getting good readings, or it could just be a quick snap on the readings before the gizmo had a chance to settle in. I think nearly all try and believe they are posting accurate readings. Besides anything within 15-20 feet is gold.

Thanks for shooting down my perfectly good conspiracy theory. dry.gif Now I have nobody to blame but myself! :lol:

Seriously though, a 15-30 foot radius seems particularly large. I guess the real issue is that it is much tougher to determine a cache location than it is to verify it. To verify a location, I have learned to move 100ft or more away, get a bearing, and associate it with ground features. Do this from a couple of different directions, and I find I get pretty consistent results (especially knowing that city caches are rarely left out in the middle of nowhere and are usually attached to some object).

Thinking now about the reverse problem, I can see it would be much tougher. I place a cache, and I can use my GPS to take multiple bearings, but without serious math, it would be difficult to accurately calculate coordinates of ground zero. Thus in retrospect I can see why it is easier to locate the true ground zero with a GPS than it is to define it.

Another lesson learned.

So is there a way to download a .gpx file with all the logs? I would like to put some accurate statistics on my profile page but I am being limited with only 20 logs, yet some of my caches have over 200 finds on them. Is there a way to download all the logs to update my statistics from GSAK?

So is there a way to download a .gpx file with all the logs? I would like to put some accurate statistics on my profile page but I am being limited with only 20 logs, yet some of my caches have over 200 finds on them. Is there a way to download all the logs to update my statistics from GSAK?

Nope.