Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
Fluxuated

Geocaching Etiquette and FTF Logging

155 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, bflentje said:
On 10/13/2017 at 0:51 AM, dprovan said:

There's nothing made up about this etiquette. You know there are people who will be less happy if you delay, so you don't delay to be nice. Naturally, like all etiquette, you don't have to be nice, but to intentionally doing the opposite is not nice. Nothing about that changes just because the FTF game isn't important to you: you want to be nice to those people because it's important to them.

Suggesting I am not nice if I don't log a find on an FTF the second it's rehidden is akin to a political debate tactic, and appalling behavior.

Obviously you misunderstood me. I suggested no such thing. What I said is that it would not be nice to intentionally delay the log just because you know the delay would upset someone.

On 10/15/2017 at 5:45 PM, dprovan said:

Obviously you misunderstood me. I suggested no such thing. What I said is that it would not be nice to intentionally delay the log just because you know the delay would upset someone.

When I see discussions like this dictating to me when I should log it, it makes me want to do just that. But as a rule I wouldn't delay just to upset someone. But I am not beating down the door to log it either just to make someone happy. I will log it when I am good and ready.

6 hours ago, bflentje said:

When I see discussions like this dictating to me when I should log it, it makes me want to do just that.

That's a childish reaction you really should try to avoid. If the person is making a good point, accept it. If you don't buy their arguments, ignore them. But please don't go out of your way to do something for no reason other than because they suggested you do the opposite.

6 hours ago, bflentje said:

I will log it when I am good and ready.

That's completely reasonable. I was just objecting to the idea that you would intentionally delay your log much longer than you needed to be good and ready.

17 hours ago, dprovan said:

That's a childish reaction you really should try to avoid. If the person is making a good point, accept it. If you don't buy their arguments, ignore them. But please don't go out of your way to do something for no reason other than because they suggested you do the opposite.

That's completely reasonable. I was just objecting to the idea that you would intentionally delay your log much longer than you needed to be good and ready.

No, trying to dictate someone else's life and name calling is childish..

2 hours ago, bflentje said:

No, trying to dictate someone else's life and name calling is childish..

Am I trying to dictate what you do? What I've said amounts to "don't be a jerk," which is simply good advice, not an attempt to control you.