Geocaching Etiquette and FTF Logging

8 hours ago, bflentje said:
On 10/13/2017 at 0:51 AM, dprovan said:

There's nothing made up about this etiquette. You know there are people who will be less happy if you delay, so you don't delay to be nice. Naturally, like all etiquette, you don't have to be nice, but to intentionally doing the opposite is not nice. Nothing about that changes just because the FTF game isn't important to you: you want to be nice to those people because it's important to them.

Suggesting I am not nice if I don't log a find on an FTF the second it's rehidden is akin to a political debate tactic, and appalling behavior.

Obviously you misunderstood me. I suggested no such thing. What I said is that it would not be nice to intentionally delay the log just because you know the delay would upset someone.

On 10/15/2017 at 5:45 PM, dprovan said:

Obviously you misunderstood me. I suggested no such thing. What I said is that it would not be nice to intentionally delay the log just because you know the delay would upset someone.

When I see discussions like this dictating to me when I should log it, it makes me want to do just that. But as a rule I wouldn't delay just to upset someone. But I am not beating down the door to log it either just to make someone happy. I will log it when I am good and ready.

6 hours ago, bflentje said:

When I see discussions like this dictating to me when I should log it, it makes me want to do just that.

That's a childish reaction you really should try to avoid. If the person is making a good point, accept it. If you don't buy their arguments, ignore them. But please don't go out of your way to do something for no reason other than because they suggested you do the opposite.

6 hours ago, bflentje said:

I will log it when I am good and ready.

That's completely reasonable. I was just objecting to the idea that you would intentionally delay your log much longer than you needed to be good and ready.

17 hours ago, dprovan said:

That's a childish reaction you really should try to avoid. If the person is making a good point, accept it. If you don't buy their arguments, ignore them. But please don't go out of your way to do something for no reason other than because they suggested you do the opposite.

That's completely reasonable. I was just objecting to the idea that you would intentionally delay your log much longer than you needed to be good and ready.

No, trying to dictate someone else's life and name calling is childish..

On 7/4/2011 at 3:55 PM, Letsride94 said:

If it was logged FTF does this mean you would not have gone for the cache?

This is one thing that I do not understand. I am not a FTF person, I AM  just like, yay! A new cache! If I am first, however, I will leave a note that the cache has been found, because other FTF  peeps got angry, And then I leave a longer found log later. BUT if a person drives so far to be FTF......why do they not find other caches in the area? Why?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, nutlady said:

This is one thing that I do not understand. I am not a FTF person, I AM  just like, yay! A new cache! If I am first, however, I will leave a note that the cache has been found, because other FTF  peeps got angry, And then I leave a longer found log later. BUT if a person drives so far to be FTF......why do they not find other caches in the area? Why?

I don't know why others might do it but for me I like having a streak.  So if the cache is near home I might go for the FTF.  If the FTF is already taken I will save it for my day off. If I do go out and find it was already found then it is no big deal.  I will just log it but if I know before I head there I would rather save it for another day.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:18 PM, nutlady said:

Because people play the game the way they want to play it.

• Maybe they've already found most of the caches in the area, so there's nothing else for them to find.
  • Maybe they've only allocated so much time for their caching activity for the day, and the race for the FTF took up that time.
  • Maybe they're saving other unfound caches in the area for other purposes (e.g. cache-a-day streaks, filling their days-found calendar).
  • Maybe they're only interested in certain types of caches (e.g low-difficulty, low-terrain) if they're available for FTFs.
  • Maybe they have to get home before dawn breaks because they'll turn to stone.

Everyone has a different strategy for playing the game.   Your strategy is different --- neither better nor worse, just different.