firefighters that cache

I'm not a firefighter, but my father's a semi retired volunteer firefighter/EMT and my husband is an ex firefighter/EMT (both geocache). My husband was a firefighter before selective availability was turned off. I'm not sure if my father's used the gps for firefighting, but our town is fairly small and he knows his way around quite well. :P

I'm a volunteer fire chief (the username kinda gives it away, I guess :)) as well as an industrial FF/EMT at a chemical plant. I have occasionally used GPS when coordinating a landing zone for medical helicopters. I also use it sometimes for updating hydrant location maps.

Here in Assumption parish (county to the rest of you) there are only around 8 or 10 active geocachers and I think about half of us are firefighters :)

I am a volunteer firefighter of 11 years. I placed a cache at our firehouse.

I am also a firefighter at the state prison that I work at.

I'm also a bloodhound handler for our county K9 response team.

I have never used a GPSr for firefighting, but I learned of geocaching at a K9 training event. GPS is a very important part of search and rescue. Geocaching is used as a tool for training the eye to see things that are "not quite right" or "out of place" and helps when you are looking for someone.

I'm a volunteer firefighter, first responder and search & rescue tech. My husband, and geocaching buddy, has been a volunteer firefighter for over 20 years (in addition to being a full-time soldier). We were talking today about an idea for some firefighting-themed caches we'd love to place if we weren't moving soon. One of these days...

Where should the list start I'm a firefighter (officer at my department), haz-mat team member, dive rescue, high angle rescue, and work primarily as an EMT-IV (finish my paramedic in August).

Yes I have used a GPS at work in incidents like landing a helicopter, lost person searches, water responses, etc... But I can say knowing the areas that I work in real well have helped tremendously in finding caches.

Volunteer here, joined right out of High school (roughly 29 years ago.) though, quickly looking at early retirement because of the massive politics and liability restrictions that have seemed to ruin the volunteer spirit.

That, my friend is another very long thread in it self. Nothing worse that sitting and waiting as your paged out for the 3rd time( waiting for a medic, driver what ever). Or hearing it for your neighbor company's :(

Edited by sabrefan7

I am a 30 year VOLUNTEER fire fighter/EMT, 5th generation. My son is the 6th generation. I use my GPS a good bit when responding to calls in neighboring communities and counties. I also cache with TeamEmtFireKids, we are families of EMT's and Firefighters, I believe we now have 16 active and retired members of the services.