Other geocachers are ruining geocaching for me

Canada is a big state, with many different cities, and many different communities.

Ahem....Canada is a country, eh. :rolleyes:

And you don't need a Premium Membership to find out about events. You only need to subscribe to the weekly Groundspeak newsletter.

Or...when you're logged in, check out the "newest caches in Ontario" in your profile that will let you know all the newest listings of caches and events.

I thought it was the 51st state.....Northern Michigan or something like that.. :D

It seems like a strange situation. I don't have anything to add to the advice given: have fun caching; contact Groundspeak if your logs are being removed, have fun caching; go to events and meet others; have fun caching. If I found caches from this group I would write some positive logs, just to see what happens. If that did not help, I might be tempted to put together some absurdly difficult puzzle caches to give them something else to do with their time.

I don't know how long you have before you plan to return to England - there are people that might be easier to ignore for the short term rather than the long term. The last time we visited England we watched John Part, from Canada, win the world's professional darts championship and found some very nice caches. You could have fun there.

To be honest, I feel like I want to quit, or at least wait until I move back to England where people seemed to be more relaxed. There's a group of geocachers in the area I'm currently living in that I think take this way too serious and have taken fun out of it for me. I feel like we're being bullied by a group. I've never met them personally but whenever they post on our logs it's never pleasent. They've removed the logs I've written on their's for no real reason! (For example I said "Thank goodness for the spot on hint". One of them didn't like a cache one of our group members placed. Logs before that enjoyed the cache but after his "others" suddenly popped up saying they didn't. One user even posted they liked it and then the next day they removed their own log! We asked them what happened but got no response. We get the feeling they communicate with each other and then sort of gang up on us. That's just the feeling I get. I thought geocaching was supposed to be fun but I don't even want to do it because of these people. Am I just being silly? I do try to ignore it but it does bring me down.

Try my solution... find the cache, sign the log, enjoy the experience and move on! What's the point of logging your finds online if it just brings you grief? I'm a low-stress kind of guy, I avoid angst and petty bullhonkery whenever possible. Try it!

And, if the actions of others can determine your level of enjoyment there's a deeper issue going on than geocaching wars. :huh:

As far as deleting your legitimate find logs, if they do don't argue with them, just send a complaint to Groundspeak and they will re-instate your log. In this electronic world logs never die, when they are 'deleted' they are in fact just hidden. Let Groundspeak fix it for you and avoid interacting with cachers who upset you.

Canada is a big state, with many different cities, and many different communities.

And you don't need a Premium Membership to find out about events. You only need to subscribe to the weekly Groundspeak newsletter.

Or...when you're logged in, check out the "newest caches in Ontario" in your profile that will let you know all the newest listings of caches and events.

I thought it was the 51st state.....Northern Michigan or something like that.. :D

Funny! BTW do you know how many Canadians have retired to Arizona? the Southwest US in General? :rolleyes:

There are likely a few former Michiganers(?) as well. Keep a close watch behind you! :unsure:

Doug 7rxc

Okay, I read every log in all of your caches and I have to agree with the poster who said if you're letting other people ruin this for you then there's a much bigger problem here than geocaching.

Do you let people ruin things in the rest of your life? This is something you need to take a look at.

I saw nothing to get bent out of shape about. Certainly nothing to geo-cide over.

I actually think people in those logs were exceptionally polite.

Some were upset because the coords on the one cache were off (and you did later correct them)but they really just grumbled a little. No one was rude or obnoxious.

Another cache someone called your nano "not a nice object". A lot of people hate nanos. If you hide them expect that some people are not going to like them. This wasn't anything about your hide, it was about it being a nano. It IS a nano.

Some people made references to the cache being on the fence to someone's backyard. I wouldn't like a cache right at someone's backyard myself. (and being on their fence is actually private property so it's not even supposed to be there) They were actually really polite about their not liking this idea. You can take this as constructive criticism. Or you can overreact. Your choice.

It could be that cache hiding isn't your thing. Perhaps you might not read the logs if you are so sensitive about them. Or just find caches. Cache hiding is not for everyone. There's nothing wrong with just being a cache finder.

It's a great distraction. Frankly, it's helped a lot, it's gotten me out and about and taken my mind off of things. Which is probably why this group has affected me so negatively.

I was thinking more was going on than meets the eye. Don't want to pry, but I'm guessing illness or even death in the family? If so, that will definitely color everything going on in your life right now.

I would just ignore the other cachers and allow geocaching to be the distraction you fell in love with to begin with. When you have serious things going on in your life, you really do need silly distractions to get you away from those concerns now and then.

<offtopic>

State is also another word for country.

</offtopic>

Nope, not the way Coldgears meant it. Read his other post...

Actually I thought it was like the us virgin islands where it had its own government and completely separate from the us while still technically owned by it.

:rolleyes:

To be honest, I feel like I want to quit, or at least wait until I move back to England where people seemed to be more relaxed. There's a group of geocachers in the area I'm currently living in that I think take this way too serious and have taken fun out of it for me. I feel like we're being bullied by a group. I've never met them personally but whenever they post on our logs it's never pleasent. They've removed the logs I've written on their's for no real reason! (For example I said "Thank goodness for the spot on hint". One of them didn't like a cache one of our group members placed. Logs before that enjoyed the cache but after his "others" suddenly popped up saying they didn't. One user even posted they liked it and then the next day they removed their own log! We asked them what happened but got no response. We get the feeling they communicate with each other and then sort of gang up on us. That's just the feeling I get. I thought geocaching was supposed to be fun but I don't even want to do it because of these people. Am I just being silly? I do try to ignore it but it does bring me down.

It seems like you could be reading too much between the lines, and it's nice that you're happy to be reassured that is the case. I've sometimes found that with people from other areas, or from other countries, humour can seem to be harsh or critical until you get to know them, and then I've realised it was simply a way to break the ice or deal with nervous silence or awkwardness. It can still take me by surprise (probably another reason for it - I'm sometimes naive & easily baited! :yikes: )

This might have NOTHING to do with any of this really, but with you being English, setting caches in Canada, well it might spark a certain debate, and yes there might well be another group of cachers in your area talking about you. I'm just suggesting that right now you might need a little more detached sensitivity to Canadian culture, language and the already existing historic difficulties between indiginous groups around your area and beyond. On top of that, I've noticed that lately things have been heating up in Canada over the whole thing about being a constitutional monarchy and that being unwanted by many Canadians. I know us British individuals don't have a lot of say about it (probably the least said the better on the subject by us) but sometimes just mention of being English seems to be enough to bring up the bad feelings all over again (for some). I just say this because I sometimes felt the same way as an Englishwoman in Wales a couple of decades ago when it was undergoing a lot of political change, and just by accident of birth I had little to contribute other than someone to sound off on! Please don't take any of this the wrong way, I am just trying to sketch out some backdrop to the main action. You are obviously keen to go to some events that you didn't know about before, and I don't mean to be making this any harder for you, but I just think it could help you to bear in mind that playing down your Englishness and homesickness might be a better way to get along.

Back on the subject of geocaching (but related to the above) some might think it is a step too far for a Brit (who is returning to England) to even have caches in Canada, especially if you're not mixing much with Canadians, or 'their group' whoever 'they' are. If you are going to be returning to England soon, you won't be able to maintain your caches, so unless your geopartner or someone else in the group is going to adopt them, it could be somebody in this 'other group' who could do so. Maybe some events would be a good opportunity to meet up and see. Could be a nice olive branch, or at least a talking point! Whatever group anyone feels comfortable in, we're all human, we're all geocachers of whatever nationality and hopefully meeting up a few times will sort all this out. We're all rooting for you (plural) and hope for your (our) own entente cordiale!

Personally I think that the Canadians are tired of the British coming to visit. I heard that they are spending a fortune on just two of these uninvited guests at the moment. That may explain the treatment the OP received both from the Hamilton, ON cachers and from the Vancouver, BC teenagers. Perhaps they should become part of the United States and sever the ties to the old world as we did 235 years ago. Happy 4th of July.

This might have NOTHING to do with any of this really, but with you being English, setting caches in Canada, well it might spark a certain debate, and yes there might well be another group of cachers in your area talking about you. I'm just suggesting that right now you might need a little more detached sensitivity to Canadian culture, language and the already existing historic difficulties between indiginous groups around your area and beyond.

Not applicable. We're talking about Hamilton here. :lol:

OK, OK, sorry. I'm editing here. There may be something there. A Foreigner (assuming people know you are one) dropping 5 nano's in a Canadian City could potentially cause some grumbling amongst the locals. But they're being found, and the logs sound OK. Another good point was raised, are you going to archive them when you return to England?

Edited by Mr.Yuck

This might have NOTHING to do with any of this really, but with you being English, setting caches in Canada, well it might spark a certain debate, and yes there might well be another group of cachers in your area talking about you. I'm just suggesting that right now you might need a little more detached sensitivity to Canadian culture, language and the already existing historic difficulties between indiginous groups around your area and beyond.

Not applicable. We're talking about Hamilton here. :lol:

OK, OK, sorry. I'm editing here. There may be something there. A Foreigner (assuming people know you are one) dropping 5 nano's in a Canadian City could potentially cause some grumbling amongst the locals. But they're being found, and the logs sound OK. Another good point was raised, are you going to archive them when you return to England?

I really don't think it has anything to do with his nationality.

People don't like nanos. This guys got five of them.

One of the nanos is on a fence on private property that is a yard where the people are out in their yard quite a bit and it has bad coords.

When you've got those conditions people are going to complain.

Yet actually the minor grumblings he's gotten have been very minor and very few.

He is overreacting to a situation he's created.

BEcause he's new does not mean we need to baby this guy. The truth is he's being very sensitive about logs on some caches that are bound to get some grumbles on them.

Personally I think that the Canadians are tired of the British coming to visit. I heard that they are spending a fortune on just two of these uninvited guests at the moment. That may explain the treatment the OP received both from the Hamilton, ON cachers and from the Vancouver, BC teenagers. Perhaps they should become part of the United States and sever the ties to the old world as we did 235 years ago. Happy 4th of July.

On top of that, John Part has had a hard couple of years at the hands of the English players. Personally, I think that certain areas of the US (including my own state) should join Canada -- but that is getting way off topic.

I agree with a previous poster, that after looking at the logs for your caches, I see nothing particularly unpleasant about them. The logs by cachers who have a fair number of finds, and might potentially be part of an "inner circle" did not seem particularly harsh. When I find Nanos in a park, my logs will typically be short and to the point. -- and there may even be a grumble or two depending on the nature of the location and the hide. But they are bringing people to the park and people are finding them.

So again, enjoy what you like about caching and ignore the rest - if any of your logs are being inappropriately deleted, then there are ways to deal with that.

And I wonder why a couple of Letterboxers said they got out of geocaching? I admit, I deleted one log on a recently placed cache, but only because the finder put too descriptive a log, telling exactly where the cache was hidden. Granted, it was on the profile picture, etc.. But it wasn't meant to be that easy.. I wrote a letter explaining it to the finder, and granted they were a little miffed.. But, they did post a new, less descriptive log.

The idea of the game, is get out there and have fun doing it. It should've be a competition to see who can outdo whom..

Stephen (gelfling6)

BEcause he's new does not mean we need to baby this guy. The truth is he's being very sensitive about logs on some caches that are bound to get some grumbles on them.

No one has suggested "babying", have they?

It's just common courtesy to be polite, on the other hand.

Telling a newbie where to post their geocide note is not polite.

Okay, I read every log in all of your caches and I have to agree with the poster who said if you're letting other people ruin this for you then there's a much bigger problem here than geocaching.

Do you let people ruin things in the rest of your life? This is something you need to take a look at.

I saw nothing to get bent out of shape about. Certainly nothing to geo-cide over.

I actually think people in those logs were exceptionally polite.

Some were upset because the coords on the one cache were off (and you did later correct them)but they really just grumbled a little. No one was rude or obnoxious.

Another cache someone called your nano "not a nice object". A lot of people hate nanos. If you hide them expect that some people are not going to like them. This wasn't anything about your hide, it was about it being a nano. It IS a nano.

Some people made references to the cache being on the fence to someone's backyard. I wouldn't like a cache right at someone's backyard myself. (and being on their fence is actually private property so it's not even supposed to be there) They were actually really polite about their not liking this idea. You can take this as constructive criticism. Or you can overreact. Your choice.

It could be that cache hiding isn't your thing. Perhaps you might not read the logs if you are so sensitive about them. Or just find caches. Cache hiding is not for everyone. There's nothing wrong with just being a cache finder.

I agree with you that the logs are not expressly offensive, however, I do think that it is in poor taste for someone who does not like nanos to go around finding caches that are clearly marked as nanos and log that they don't like them. If you don't like them, don't find them, or just log a tftc.

Canada is a big state, with many different cities, and many different communities. Then you have the rest of the USA, from California, to virginia and everything in between.

CG-

I hereby sentence you to a summer school class in geography. Don't they teach geography in schools anymore? Before I left elementary school I knew the names, locations, and capitals of all 48 states. I wasn't very good at drawing in all the state boundaries on the blank US map, but at least I had an idea of where they were, and I knew that Canada was not one of them.

Funny! BTW do you know how many Canadians have retired to Arizona? the Southwest US in General? :rolleyes:

There are likely a few former Michiganers(?) as well. Keep a close watch behind you! :unsure:

Doug 7rxc

Michiganders across, up and down the street. A few Canadiens close by too. They seem to look a little melty in the summertime though. :)

Absolutely right, there. Ambient Skater was out of line. But Sol Seeker, I think, has taken the time to take a good look at the situation and seems to be pointing out that, as usual, problems of this nature are seldom a one-way street.

No one has suggested "babying", have they?

It's just common courtesy to be polite, on the other hand.

Yes, especially in the first response to the Op, I agree. Bad Ambient Skater. Bad, bad, Ambient Skater.

To be honest, I feel like I want to quit, or at least wait until I move back to England where people seemed to be more relaxed.

You cache because of reasons that were there before those clowns.

There's a group of geocachers in the area I'm currently living in that I think take this way too serious and have taken fun out of it for me. I feel like we're being bullied by a group.

I am pretty sure I know who you are talking about. You aren't the first one to feel that way about them, but it doesn't have to ruin your fun. If you are walking down the street and a crazy person says you are on fire, you don't listen because it isn't true. Don't give them the credibility they are looking for, just try and see it for what it is... crazy rantings of a passerby!

I have confronted them (as suggested previous) and they always smile and laugh like it is all in good fun. They act passive/agressively because they can't communicate properly. Laugh at them, don't let them laugh at you.

There's a group of geocachers in the area I'm currently living in that I think take this way too serious and have taken fun out of it for me. I feel like we're being bullied by a group.

To this, all I want to say is that if you are letting them take the fun out of it for you, then perhaps YOU are the ones taking it way too seriously.

I am pretty sure I know who you are talking about. You aren't the first one to feel that way about them, but it doesn't have to ruin your fun.

Very interesting!

When we make a joke, let's use the emoticons so someone new gets that our comments are in jest. To the OP, rise above it...they way things are said here are different to the UK. I've been here long enough to be bi-lingual...I speak both British and Canadian English. And I'm working on my American English too :D

Try and attend an event or two before you go back to the UK - you will need to adopt those caches out, or archive them.

Why is everyone jumping on skater kid? He just made a joke. Poor timing sure. But some of the ones beating him up about it now thought his spreadsheet was funny as hell just minutes before he made that post.

Cut the kid some slack.

Until the next time.

I agree with the people who said go to an event. I felt very similar at first, but nce I met local cachers I felt better. Most are just playing a game and want everyone to have fun.

It takes all kinds, and geocaching is no different. I love the events, and wish we could go to more, but my husband feels left out, since they all happen while he is working.

Why is everyone jumping on skater kid? He just made a joke. Poor timing sure. But some of the ones beating him up about it now thought his spreadsheet was funny as hell just minutes before he made that post.

Cut the kid some slack.

Yes, but that was when mr. skater wasn't trying to oppose the joke on somebody. In this thread he encouraged the OP to quit, joke or no joke. It wasn't very polite, and in hindsight, it was pretty disrespectful.

I am pretty sure I know who you are talking about.

To be totally honest, I have too this whole time I'm goofing around and making wisecracks in this thread. :blink: But they are nice people, and you just have to meet them at an event, as has been mentioned several times in this thread. Ironically enough, I have tickets for the Ti-Cats game in 2 weeks, Bring on these friggin' nano's! :lol:

Cut the kid some slack.

He made a joke. Poor timing. I would guess that he had, or will be, hearing from a moderator about it. I agree that the point was made quite early, and that ganging up isn't likely to do any good, but it was poorly conceived at best, and had to be called out. I'm sure he has learned his lesson by now.

Well, if the other cachers are giving you trouble, I suppose you could carry a taser or a glock 9, although a walking stick, laser, or very sharp fountain pen may work.

Wait. Which thread is this?

Sorry, this is a Canadian dispute, only the mounties have weapons here. We tend to settle all our disputes with moose calling competition and interpretive dance. Less blood shed in both, but just barely.

Doug 7rxc

Actually, they are either Michiganians or Michiganders, NOT "Michiganers".... add to that, those from the 51st state call themselves Yoopers. That's the state of Superior, AKA Michigan U.P. which was Wisconsin, made Michigan to keep Ohio happy. Got it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We can make the correction reach even further -- NORTHERN Michigan IS NOT the U.P., it is the northern part of the Lower -- you know, where the trolls live (under da bridge [Mackinac Bridge, that is])!

Doug 7rxc

Actually, they are either Michiganians or Michiganders, NOT "Michiganers".... add to that, those from the 51st state call themselves Yoopers. That's the state of Superior, AKA Michigan U.P. which was Wisconsin, made Michigan to keep Ohio happy. Got it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We can make the correction reach even further -- NORTHERN Michigan IS NOT the U.P., it is the northern part of the Lower -- you know, where the trolls live (under da bridge [Mackinac Bridge, that is])!

Cut the kid some slack.

+1. The joke was in poor taste but it also was someone out of character for the skater kid. For the most part I've enjoyed his contributions to the forum. He often shows a sense of humor, intelligence, and a maturity beyond his age.

I also think that it's interesting the the OP posted an immediate response ("Um, thanks") and then *let it go*, while others continue to debate the appropriateness of the "joke".

Opps, I forgot about those methods. I prefer a visual. 50 miles away down I-95 is one thing, 50 miles through the New Jersey forest backroads is another beast entirely.

I thought Canada was part of the U.S. though... Why do they have teams on the American leagues for Soccer, Baseball, Basketball and Ice Hokey?

I seriously hope you are joking about Canada being part of the US. If not, our education system has indeed failed.

Doug 7rxc

Actually, they are either Michiganians or , NOT "Michiganers".... add to that, those from the 51st state call themselves Yoopers. That's the state of Superior, AKA Michigan U.P. which was Wisconsin, made Michigan to keep Ohio happy. Got it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Michiganians :blink: Huh?!? Have I really been away that long? Michiganders is the only term that I have ever heard. Even though it has always sounded a bit "goosey" to me.

(signed)

A. Yooper.

Opps, I forgot about those methods. I prefer a visual. 50 miles away down I-95 is one thing, 50 miles through the New Jersey forest backroads is another beast entirely.

I thought Canada was part of the U.S. though... Why do they have teams on the American leagues for Soccer, Baseball, Basketball and Ice Hokey?

I seriously hope you are joking about Canada being part of the US. If not, our education system has indeed failed.

Calm down, simple mistake. I know better, please stop going on about it.

"Simple" mistake? Come on now... we're not talking about a typo here, Coldgears! You said you thought that the entire country of Canada was a U.S. possession. Wars have been waged over such "simple mistakes". Buck it up, dude... you said something absurd and you are going to have to take the hits for it. That's life in the forums.

It's just weird because the log was a nice one, they said they enjoyed the cache, liked the container etc. So it just seems weird that it was posted, then removed. Vast majority of responses have been positive. It wasn't until one of "them" posted negative that the post got removed and their mates started posted negative. Obviously it's their choice, just thought it was odd.

If you consider that it's human nature to do the same thing as your friends do, then it's not odd at all. Young people do that especially.

It probably has nothing to do with you. Could just be a group of immature people and some harmless misunderstandings.

"Simple" mistake? Come on now... we're not talking about a typo here, Coldgears! You said you thought that the entire country of Canada was a U.S. possession. Wars have been waged over such "simple mistakes". Buck it up, dude... you said something absurd and you are going to have to take the hits for it. That's life in the forums.

You mean... it's NOT?? :o:wacko:

When I moved from Oregon, I went through a rough patch while getting used to the cachers where I moved to. It got so bad at one point that I stopped caching regularly. That break served me well, and I've enjoyed caching again. The biggest thing is to not let it get you down. If that means not hiding some caches for a while, so be it. If that means not finding for a while, so be it. Don't focus on a small group that might be getting under your skin. I know it's hard sometimes. But, just like a mosquito in your tent, it makes a big difference...until you squash that little bugger. :anibad:

Best of luck to you!

First off bad joke.I see Canada almost every day from this side of the Niagara River. Second like the GREAT Don Cherry said "soccer is a sport with out honor" third Im not sure what Ice Hokey is :blink:

First off bad joke.I see Canada almost every day from this side of the Niagara River. Second like the GREAT Don Cherry said "soccer is a sport with out honor" third Im not sure what Ice Hokey is :blink:

It's when you Do the Hokey Pokey on ice!

It's when you Do the Hokey Pokey on ice!

:laughing::laughing::laughing: