Other geocachers are ruining geocaching for me

To be honest, I feel like I want to quit, or at least wait until I move back to England where people seemed to be more relaxed. There's a group of geocachers in the area I'm currently living in that I think take this way too serious and have taken fun out of it for me. I feel like we're being bullied by a group. I've never met them personally but whenever they post on our logs it's never pleasent. They've removed the logs I've written on their's for no real reason! (For example I said "Thank goodness for the spot on hint". One of them didn't like a cache one of our group members placed. Logs before that enjoyed the cache but after his "others" suddenly popped up saying they didn't. One user even posted they liked it and then the next day they removed their own log! We asked them what happened but got no response. We get the feeling they communicate with each other and then sort of gang up on us. That's just the feeling I get. I thought geocaching was supposed to be fun but I don't even want to do it because of these people. Am I just being silly? I do try to ignore it but it does bring me down.

To be honest, I feel like I want to quit...

Do it! You can be the first person to use our new revamped resignation form.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFBmN05VNkJSVmVmOUp6STZxTmJkaFE6MQ

This was a very inappropriate reply. If it was meant as a joke, it was ill-conceived.

To the OP, if your logs were deleted for "no good reason", you can contact Groundspeak to have them reinstated.

Other cachers should not be able to ruin the fun for you. You can choose not to search their caches.

You could try and contact these fun-spoilers and try to work out what the problems may be.

Or, you can just put their caches on your ignore list, and not deal with them at all. Hopefully there are plenty of other cache owners near you that aren't a problem.

Thank you for your help. Next time one gets removed I will report it if they don't give me valid reason. The problem is, they menopolize my area. It's hard to find one that doesn't belong to one of them. Obviously there's no limit to how many caches a person can place but sometime it's just like "Wow, can you leave some for others". But hey, it's fair game, they're not doing wrong by it. We've been lucky to find areas that haven't been touched but anywhere of interest belongs to them. I'm trying to ignore it until I move back to England. We're still pretty new to this but certainly hope this isn't the attitude of most geocachers. It feels like geomafia over here! My geopartner is less sensitive than me so she'll keep me going until the move! I just hope others in my area aren't feeling the same way. I became obessessed with geocaching straight away, it quickly becomes an addiction doesn't it?! Don't want to lose that. Thanks again.

Oh and we have made contact with them but get no response.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFBmN05VNkJSVmVmOUp6STZxTmJkaFE6MQ

This was a very inappropriate reply. If it was meant as a joke, it was ill-conceived.

To the OP, if your logs were deleted for "no good reason", you can contact Groundspeak to have them reinstated.

Other cachers should not be able to ruin the fun for you. You can choose not to search their caches.

You could try and contact these fun-spoilers and try to work out what the problems may be.

Or, you can just put their caches on your ignore list, and not deal with them at all. Hopefully there are plenty of other cache owners near you that aren't a problem.

snip...One user even posted they liked it and then the next day they removed their own log!

If someone deleted their own found it from one of your (or your friends) caches, I'm not sure why that would be a problem for you. Seems pretty clear to me they aren't interested in having anything to do with the cache.

It can happen anytime you get a group of people participating in any hobby. In just seems natural that some cliques form, just like in high school. I've seen it happen in our area too. Best advice I can give is ignore it as much as you can. Don't bother searching for their caches, or if you do just log the most basic thing you can. Don't give them the attention they seem to crave.

Overall I have found cachers to have a higher percentage of "good" people than most groups I participate in. Chin up!

snip...One user even posted they liked it and then the next day they removed their own log!

If someone deleted their own found it from one of your (or your friends) caches, I'm not sure why that would be a problem for you. Seems pretty clear to me they aren't interested in having anything to do with the cache.

It's just weird because the log was a nice one, they said they enjoyed the cache, liked the container etc. So it just seems weird that it was posted, then removed. Vast majority of responses have been positive. It wasn't until one of "them" posted negative that the post got removed and their mates started posted negative. Obviously it's their choice, just thought it was odd.

I mean, me personally I wouldn't remove a log just because someone else didn't like it. And I certainly would remove a log because that's how I keep track! By that's just me obviously everyone is different.

Edited by Tonks&Granger

It can happen anytime you get a group of people participating in any hobby. In just seems natural that some cliques form, just like in high school. I've seen it happen in our area too. Best advice I can give is ignore it as much as you can. Don't bother searching for their caches, or if you do just log the most basic thing you can. Don't give them the attention they seem to crave.

Overall I have found cachers to have a higher percentage of "good" people than most groups I participate in. Chin up!

Thanks Dan.

Quite glad I posted in here. As lame as it sounds feeling better. Oh and we do ignore as much as possible and when we do do them, we just TFTC!

Cheers folks :-)

How is Merry Old England? Do much fishing?

Brighton is right on the English channel but there's no good fishing there. I spend time in Eastbourne, my mate lives at the marina and we often see fishermen there. But I hate seafood! I spend short days off exploring Sussex, I spend longer days off explore Great Britain, I spend even longer days off exploring Europe. I can't wait to start geocaching. To think back on the places I've been and all the caches I could have found....

Edited by Tonks&Granger

One thing I'd like to mention, is that the world is quite big. You've only experienced two different communities of geocachers. Clearly you had a reason to move to canada, and I assume geocaching wasn't it? Canada is a big state, with many different cities, and many different communities. Then you have the rest of the USA, from California, to virginia and everything in between. The UK also has plenty of cities too, I'm willing to bet a couple hundred that there are just as many places in England with bad geocaching groups, as there is in every other country in the world.

I'm saying this, because I get the feeling you are moving back to England because you don't like the geocaching community here. If you moved from England for reasons such as cheaper and more affordable living, or you prefer the climate then I would suggest moving to another place in the same country, and you will more then likely not have another bad experience.

Edited by Coldgears

Brighton is right on the English channel but there's no good fishing there. I spend time in Eastbourne, my mate lives at the marina and we often see fishermen there. But I hate seafood! I spend short days off exploring Sussex, I spend longer days off explore Great Britain, I spend even longer days off exploring Europe. I can't wait to start geocaching. To think back on the places I've been and all the caches I could have found....

Had to ask.

One thing I'd like to mention, is that the world is quite big. You've only experienced two different communities of geocachers. Clearly you had a reason to move to canada, and I assume geocaching wasn't it? Canada is a big state, with many different cities, and many different communities. Then you have the rest of the USA, from California, to virginia and everything in between. The UK also has plenty of cities too, I'm willing to bet a couple hundred that there are just as many places in England with bad geocaching groups, as there is in every other country in the world.

I'm saying this, because I get the feeling you are moving back to England because you don't like the geocaching community here. If you moved from England for reasons such as cheaper and more affordable living, you prefer the climate, or you don't want to be terroristed, then I would suggest moving to another place in the same country, and you will more then likely not have another bad experience.

Oh no, my move back to England has nothing to do with geocaching. I still have my goods there, back at my home, I'm just in Canada temp for personal reasons and my mate introduced me to geocaching. It's a great distraction. Frankly, it's helped a lot, it's gotten me out and about and taken my mind off of things. Which is probably why this group has affected me so negatively.

Had to ask.

Big on fishing I take it?

I'm saying this, because I get the feeling you are moving back to England because you don't like the geocaching community here. If you moved from England for reasons such as cheaper and more affordable living, you prefer the climate, or you don't want to be terroristed, then I would suggest moving to another place in the same country, and you will more then likely not have another bad experience.

Oh no, my move back to England has nothing to do with geocaching. I still have my goods there, back at my home, I'm just in Canada temp for personal reasons and my mate introduced me to geocaching. It's a great distraction. Frankly, it's helped a lot, it's gotten me out and about and taken my mind off of things. Which is probably why this group has affected me so negatively.

Looking at your profile, you've never been to an event... How about going to one and meeting the CO's. Maybe you will like them better meeting them in person.

Looking at your profile, you've never been to an event... How about going to one and meeting the CO's. Maybe you will like them better meeting them in person.

Didn't even know there were events!

I love events! I'm actually traveling 100 miles just to go to a very special one. I usually only go to ones within 25 miles though.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2Y4D0

That's one near you, it's on 8/20 and you go for a bike ride through a corn field... Sounds like fun!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2X77T

That's july 24th a VERY short 18 miles from you.

It's easy to find them if you have premium membership, just use map filters so it only shows events. Those are the two closest too you, you might have to travel 30+ miles if you want one a little sooner.

I love events! I'm actually traveling 100 miles just to go to a very special one. I usually only go to ones within 25 miles though.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2Y4D0

That's one near you, it's on 8/20 and you go for a bike ride through a corn field... Sounds like fun!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2X77T

That's july 24th a VERY short 18 miles from you.

It's easy to find them if you have premium membership, just use map filters so it only shows events. Those are the two closest too you, you might have to travel 30+ miles if you want one a little sooner.

Thanks so much. I'll show this to my geopartner! I know she'll be up for it. We've been discussing going premium. I'm off to bed now but I appreciate everyone posts. Have a good night all.

Canada is a big state, with many different cities, and many different communities.

Ahem....Canada is a country, eh. :rolleyes:

And you don't need a Premium Membership to find out about events. You only need to subscribe to the weekly Groundspeak newsletter.

Or...when you're logged in, check out the "newest caches in Ontario" in your profile that will let you know all the newest listings of caches and events.

You can also indicate that you want to receive the weekly newsletter. It will include all the events in the area around your entered home coordinates.

Canada is a big state, with many different cities, and many different communities.

And you don't need a Premium Membership to find out about events. You only need to subscribe to the weekly Groundspeak newsletter.

Or...when you're logged in, check out the "newest caches in Ontario" in your profile that will let you know all the newest listings of caches and events.

Opps, I forgot about those methods. I prefer a visual. 50 miles away down I-95 is one thing, 50 miles through the New Jersey forest backroads is another beast entirely.

I thought Canada was part of the U.S. though... Why do they have teams on the American leagues for Soccer, Baseball, Basketball and Ice Hokey?

It's just weird because the log was a nice one, they said they enjoyed the cache, liked the container etc. So it just seems weird that it was posted, then removed. Vast majority of responses have been positive. It wasn't until one of "them" posted negative that the post got removed and their mates started posted negative. Obviously it's their choice, just thought it was odd.

I mean, me personally I wouldn't remove a log just because someone else didn't like it. And I certainly would remove a log because that's how I keep track! By that's just me obviously everyone is different.

Where exactly are they posting these negative logs? Your five caches seem to be well accepted.

The link does go to a Geocaching Resignation form. Ambient_Skater's profile pic, if it's him, makes him to appear 16 or so. He lists himself as a student. High School maybe?

If this was a joke, which I doubt, he's way out of line.

I'm a little bit of a confrontational SOB, so I'd be apt to track these people down at a local event and ask them directly what their problem is.

Another option (for the less confrontational sort) would be to ask other locals who may know the people you've got problems with, but are not part of their "clique". I learned a lot about some local absentee cachers by asking around at a local event.

But I'm not really big on socializing with other cachers at events. It's really just something I do when I'm out with my wife. I have met a few cachers that I keep in touch with, though. It's still useful sometimes to get some of the local gossip about a certain CO's.

The link does go to a Geocaching Resignation form. Ambient_Skater's profile pic, if it's him, makes him to appear 16 or so. He lists himself as a student. High School maybe?

He's 15. Where's his parents?

Calm down. People of all ages can enjoy geocaching, and there are many other kids who have posted in these forums. (At least four in the thread about where a teenager can get a job that involves geocaching).

Sure what he said may be out of line, but there is no reason to bring age into this. Ashinkes was out of line, and he was over 21. All your doing is throwing insults, which is no better then what he did.

It was absolutely a joke. What our young friend failed to realize is that first, this is not the OT forum, second, the OP is a new cacher, was posting his first message to the forums, was entirely serious about his situation, and was obviously anticipating a serious answer, not a joke telling him to quit. It was highly inappropriate. Unfortunately, this seems to be the norm now that school is out.

All your doing is throwing insults,

Not yet

Opps, I forgot about those methods. I prefer a visual. 50 miles away down I-95 is one thing, 50 miles through the New Jersey forest backroads is another beast entirely.

I thought Canada was part of the U.S. though... Why do they have teams on the American leagues for Soccer, Baseball, Basketball and Ice Hokey?

:lol:

Yes, it is intended as a joke: Geocaching Resignation form thread

It's inappropriate to joke when the person asking for help or advice is new to caching and/or new to the forums. They don't "know" you, so have no way to know that you might be joking.

Keep the joking around to the Off Topic forum, and treat other people with respect when they are asking for help.

The Groundspeak newsletter posts the distance from your home coordinates for each cache and event listed. (29.25 km S, 35.37 km NE, etc, etc.)

The main point is that you don't need to be a Premium Member to find out about events. Telling new people that they need to be PM to do that is incorrect and not helpful.

Ice Hokey? :blink:

The American education system must be in a sorry state if that's what you've learned in Geography.

But if that's your idea of "humorous", it failed to amuse me.

The American education system must be in a sorry state if that's what you've learned in Geography.

Actually I thought it was like the us virgin islands where it had its own government and completely separate from the us while still technically owned by it.

Actually I thought it was like the us virgin islands where it had its own government and completely separate from the us while still technically owned by it.

oh my... please tell me you're trolling...

Love that advice! Events are my all time favorite part of geocaching. Schmoozing with other kooky nerds who enjoy hunting Tupperware just makes my day. If you go, don't be a shadow. Strike up conversations, shake lots of hands, get to know folks, and really talk to them. (And maybe bring cookies... Everybody loves cookies!) Leave all the negative experiences you've had recently at home. Just talk up what you love about the game.

picard_facepalm.jpg?t=1270496222

To be honest, I feel like I want to quit, or at least wait until I move back to England where people seemed to be more relaxed. There's a group of geocachers in the area I'm currently living in that I think take this way too serious and have taken fun out of it for me. I feel like we're being bullied by a group. I've never met them personally but whenever they post on our logs it's never pleasent. They've removed the logs I've written on their's for no real reason! (For example I said "Thank goodness for the spot on hint". One of them didn't like a cache one of our group members placed. Logs before that enjoyed the cache but after his "others" suddenly popped up saying they didn't. One user even posted they liked it and then the next day they removed their own log! We asked them what happened but got no response. We get the feeling they communicate with each other and then sort of gang up on us. That's just the feeling I get. I thought geocaching was supposed to be fun but I don't even want to do it because of these people. Am I just being silly? I do try to ignore it but it does bring me down.

What your describing, while still inapproproate, sounds like an individual or group who believes they are responding in kind.

What's the rest of the story?

I can't really add to the good suggestions you've gotten. Just want to add my support. I was so excited when i forst discovered geocaching, and one of the things that made it better was how nice the local cachers were to me. Too bad you had to run into these jokers so early on. But they are definitely a minority in the geocaching community.

(hey, your thread title WAS kind of funny, coming so soon after the joke "geocide" post. But you're probably too new to realize that. :laughing: )

Out on a dinner date with Coldgear's parents? :blink:

This whole thing could be avoided if we'd all just thumb out "TFTC" on a smartphone for every cache we find. :ph34r:

Sorry, I hope those were not inappropriate jokes. I see another poster mentioned, I don't see anything too crazy in your logs. I think it's possible you are over reacting. I will actually be in your American City in a couple of weeks, and will make sure I look for at least one of them. Sorry, joking again about American City. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

oh my... please tell me you're trolling...

BlueDeuce already brought up the fishing aspect..

Maybe Ambient Skater is in your local clique?

I would do as other suggested just find other caches not by this group. Also try a few events and meet people from your area.

Just curious....have you gone to your cache to see if they actually signed the log? Perhaps they posted a find on the website but realized they meant it for a different cache and they didn't find yours at all? That happened to me once...the names of the caches were very similar and in the same park...so....that is just my two cents worth....