How many caches will Montana 600,650,650t hold

As many as your memory card will hold. 5000 is the limit that can be downloaded using a pocket query per day.

Is this from personal experience? If so, it is the first Garmin handheld with no limit on cache count. All recent units use internal memory and copy relevant data from the *.gpx to that space, and internal memory is FINITE. Edited by ecanderson

As many as your memory card will hold. 5000 is the limit that can be downloaded using a pocket query per day.

Is this from personal experience? If so, it is the first Garmin handheld with no limit on cache count. All recent units use internal memory and copy relevant data from the *.gpx to that space, and internal memory is FINITE.

While I haven't had time to play with this that much, I just loaded 5950 caches into my 62st and it gave an error that the maximum number of geocaches has been exceeded (as expected). Those same caches on my Montana gave no alarm, and as far as I can tell they are all there. So it may well be that the Montana series does not have the 5000 cache limit.

Edited by ryan3295
While I haven't had time to play with this that much, I just loaded 5950 caches into my 62st and it gave an error that the maximum number of geocaches has been exceeded (as expected). Those same caches on my Montana gave no alarm, and as far as I can tell they are all there. So it may well be that the Montana series does not have the 5000 cache limit.

Or the alarm is bork and it just doesn't tell you :lol:

Try more than 10,000 maybe?

I don't get an alarm for going over 2000 on my Oregon 300, but some caches don't get loaded - in no pattern I could discern.

I have now loaded 10153 caches, with no alarm. In my random sampling the caches do appear to be there. The limit is certainly not 5000 caches. I wish garmin would just publish what the actual number is.

The only official word I can find is in this tweet

5000 caches - by Jake of Garmin, dated May 18th.

I don't know if the Oregon x50 has an alarm when # of caches is exceeded, but the x00 apparently doesn't.

I have now loaded 10153 caches, with no alarm. In my random sampling the caches do appear to be there. The limit is certainly not 5000 caches. I wish garmin would just publish what the actual number is.

What? And break with tradition? There's still no valid # in the "Specs" on their web site for the Oregons!
I don't know if the Oregon x50 has an alarm when # of caches is exceeded, but the x00 apparently doesn't.

Got me curious there. Just tried to load 8300 caches on my 450 - no alarm.

Ditto - accidentally double loaded PQs once with two different names (screwed up and told GSAK to use a new name for the file while another was resident), and blew through the 5000 limit. When I disconnected and rebooted, I had the really long delay I always get with large PQ loads, but no warning that anything was amiss.

Got me curious there. Just tried to load 8300 caches on my 450 - no alarm.

Ditto - accidentally double loaded PQs once with two different names (screwed up and told GSAK to use a new name for the file while another was resident), and blew through the 5000 limit. When I disconnected and rebooted, I had the really long delay I always get with large PQ loads, but no warning that anything was amiss.

If the same cache is loaded multiple times in different PQs it will not count towards the limit. I just loaded "6000" caches into my 62st, with a gpx file from GSAK containing 5000 caches and then also reloaded the same PQ that was contained in the gpx file from GSAK, and received no alarm. I would be curious as to what happens if you load over 5000 distinct caches.

I don't get an alarm for going over 2000 on my Oregon 300, but some caches don't get loaded - in no pattern I could discern.

Looking at the garmin support page, version 2.3 of the oregon x00 firmware added the following:

"Added error message when the maximum number of geocaches is exceeded (2000)"

"Added error message when the maximum number of gpx files is exceeded (200)"

So it would appear that you should be covered if you load an excess number of caches or gpx file. But that was the second release of the firmware, so their is a good chance that it could be broken by now too. :ph34r:

Edited by ryan3295

If the same cache is loaded multiple times in different PQs it will not count towards the limit. I just loaded "6000" caches into my 62st, with a gpx file from GSAK containing 5000 caches and then also reloaded the same PQ that was contained in the gpx file from GSAK, and received no alarm. I would be curious as to what happens if you load over 5000 distinct caches.

It wasn't the same set of caches. It was supposed to be the same filename, though, and as it wasn't. The intent was to overwrite one entire set with an altogether different set (for vacation).

It wasn't the same set of caches. It was supposed to be the same filename, though, and as it wasn't. The intent was to overwrite one entire set with an altogether different set (for vacation).

So do you get an alarm if you load more than 5000 caches in single gpx file?