Back off! I have a...pen.

Getting back on topic, sorry if I was part of derailment....

High powered flashlight are effective in disorienting people also if you get a oversized mag light the backend can be used in a billy club like fashion. Also lazers have been used by military/police to temporary blind people and are slowly coming in to the civilian market. The best self defence is your gut feeling, if you think something/somewhere is dangerous then leave and come back with others or ignore that cache. Just my two cents.

Clan Riffster I apologize if my info about tasers is incorrect. I'll admit that the only time i used a taser was back in the late 90's and it was on my self (just to see what it was like) and my information came from a salesman at a resent gun show. He stated that the shock on these new models would cause a shock so bad it would cause a person to evacuate there bowls which I figured was one heck of a punch.

GunnerMac was talking about a bright flash light and he is right. I have a surfire tactical flashlight that is ment to be able to temporarily blind someone if needed and it also has pointy tips around the lens so it can be used as a weapon in a fist fight if needed.

Edited by LoneWolf112a

The less lethal methods are more than adequate. I almost hauled-off & struck a mountain biker who came up behind me unexpected, with a cheesy aluminum hiking pole. (all I heard was what sounded like a snarl, (It was the bike rider clearing his throat), and a small snap noise (changing one gear.))

That's what I get for hiking alone in a park known for bear & wildcats.

Clan Riffster I apologize if my info about tasers is incorrect.

No worries, Brother. I suspect it's a matter of misdirection on the salesman's part, combined with misinformation from the media. Many stun gun dealers like to toss the term "taser" out as if it were a generic term for any shock producing device. The media does the same thing. There is very little in common between a Taser and a stun gun.

A Taser utilizes a very specific electronic signature that matches the electronic pulse our brain sends to our muscles. Because the pulse from the Taser is stronger than the pulse sent from the brain, it over rides it, effectively shutting down the central nervous system.

Stun guns, on the other hand, use various degrees of current/amperage to create a pain compliance device. The two things which make pain compliance devices ineffective are; 1 ) There are situations where they have no effect. Certain drugs, large quantities of alcohol, and mental outlooks can all impede the effectiveness of a pain compliance device. 2 ) You have to be in close proximity to use them. If you are close enough to touch the bad guy with your stun gun, he is close enough to take it away from you.

Clan Riffster I apologize if my info about tasers is incorrect.

No worries, Brother. I suspect it's a matter of misdirection on the salesman's part, combined with misinformation from the media. Many stun gun dealers like to toss the term "taser" out as if it were a generic term for any shock producing device. The media does the same thing. There is very little in common between a Taser and a stun gun.

A Taser utilizes a very specific electronic signature that matches the electronic pulse our brain sends to our muscles. Because the pulse from the Taser is stronger than the pulse sent from the brain, it over rides it, effectively shutting down the central nervous system.

Stun guns, on the other hand, use various degrees of current/amperage to create a pain compliance device. The two things which make pain compliance devices ineffective are; 1 ) There are situations where they have no effect. Certain drugs, large quantities of alcohol, and mental outlooks can all impede the effectiveness of a pain compliance device. 2 ) You have to be in close proximity to use them. If you are close enough to touch the bad guy with your stun gun, he is close enough to take it away from you.

Thank you for this information. You have effectively ruled out stun guns for me. As I stated earlier, I do know someone who can take one to the gut & keep going-& he is not a large person. That, coupled with what you have to say, leads to me saying "no" on this one.

I used to hike alone in the woods at night all the time by myself. Yes, I too am a woman.

I tended to stay farther away from the city. The further out I went the less likely I was to run into the most fearful creature, man. But I was more likely to run into bears.

I've heard bears give a warning growl right next to the trail, in the dark, a half dozen times, but I just kept walking and talked to them, telling them I was headed out, not to worry, and they never came after me.

With humans, at least in the day, I know my first defense is in how I present myself. I have had guys come up behind me that seemed threatening in parks in the city. I have followed the advice I have read: I stood as tall as possible (not terribly possible for me), walked with as much confidence as possible, swaggered, turned around and looked the guy right in the eye with a look that said, "I've been looking for someone like you all day, I've got some aggressions to take out." I'll usually speak to them in a very loud deep voice full of confidence and strength. My words may be casual, but the tone is "don't f--- with me". I've had a lot of guys head the other way who had looked very threatening and were headed straight for me.

On the other hand, in the woods you have the disadvantage of it being dark.

The advantage is, you can pad your jacket and sleeves and look more burly and threatening than you actually are. People who attack people do scope you out to see if they can take you. Stuff socks up your sleeves before you go out. Wear a big hat to make you look taller. Whatever.

Swagger when you walk. Not like you're drunk, but like you're confident that you could beat to a pulp anyone you meet.

When I was doing so much night hiking I carried pepper spray and a stun-gun.

Pepper spray is good for hitting something at a little distance from you. If they grab you you cannot hit them with pepper spray, but you can hit them with your stun gun, especially if they come up from behind you and grab you. They are especially effective if you hit them in the arms.

If I am a fearful situation I'll loop the strap over my wrist so they can't take it without getting hit with it first.

A few times in the city I have had it in my purse and just taken it out when I felt threatened by someone. That's all that was needed. They took one look at it and were headed the other way in a second.

If just the looks of a stun-gun are enough to send someone running, I'm sure the bite of one would shock most into thinking that you were not the easy target they had previously assumed.

I like to stick to weapons that cannot be taken used on me and really hurt me, so knives are way out.

Most men are like mountain lions. They are looking for the easy meal. If you look like something that's going to cause them a whole lot of trouble, they're not going to bother.

Sure someone on crack will always be an exception, but really, how many defenses are there against someone on crack?? A big gun, that's about it.

Good luck.

You've got a lot of courage. Show it!!!

Around here I have the problem of both animal and humans. Humans I am not to worried about. I have been taking martial arts and self defense classes since I was 6 and am trained in several different fighting and self defense techniques. If I can't disarm a guy with a gun at this point well I've wasted a lot of money.

As far as animals go we have a large deer and bear problem around here. Here is the thing about bears they are more scared of you than you are of them. When walking I always try to stick close to trails and I make sure to walk loudly and talk (even if it is to myself). If you come upon a bear and it doesn't know you were coming you are going to scare it into attacking you. When encountering a bear the best thing to do is to stare it down as you talk to it and slowly back away. There are sets of good guidelines out there on how to deal with bears specifically and so far I have been lucky and only had to cross a bears path in my car.

Here is the thing about bears they are more scared of you than you are of them. When walking I always try to stick close to trails and I make sure to walk loudly and talk (even if it is to myself). If you come upon a bear and it doesn't know you were coming you are going to scare it into attacking you. When encountering a bear the best thing to do is to stare it down as you talk to it and slowly back away. There are sets of good guidelines out there on how to deal with bears specifically and so far I have been lucky and only had to cross a bears path in my car.

Hmm that's funny I just watched a special on Alaska where a jogger, and a MTN biker going down this popular trail were almost killed by bears, I think you are underestimating the situation.

SS

Here is the thing about bears they are more scared of you than you are of them. When walking I always try to stick close to trails and I make sure to walk loudly and talk (even if it is to myself). If you come upon a bear and it doesn't know you were coming you are going to scare it into attacking you. When encountering a bear the best thing to do is to stare it down as you talk to it and slowly back away. There are sets of good guidelines out there on how to deal with bears specifically and so far I have been lucky and only had to cross a bears path in my car.

Hmm that's funny I just watched a special on Alaska where a jogger, and a MTN biker going down this popular trail were almost killed by bears, I think you are underestimating the situation.

SS

It depends on the area in the US too. Different bears different things you should do this is a rule of thumb and it works well in my area. I live in an area where some mornings you walk out the door and than back slowly back in it because hey there is a bear! Sometimes they are worse than deer about crossing the road and getting hit by cars. You think a deer can total a car, see what a bear can do haha.

Edited by Cyndaria

I just carry a baggie of fake dope, and toss it into the brush if there's trouble. It usually keeps them busy while I make my escape. :D

Is that how I'm supposed to explain it to the LEOs that often pull over to inquire what we're doing? :D

Cops will never fall for that trick. However, if you are looking unsuccessfully for a cache, just pretend to toss something away when they pull up and they definitely will find the cache for you. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I used to hike alone in the woods at night all the time by myself. Yes, I too am a woman.

I tended to stay farther away from the city. The further out I went the less likely I was to run into the most fearful creature, man. But I was more likely to run into bears.

I've heard bears give a warning growl right next to the trail, in the dark, a half dozen times, but I just kept walking and talked to them, telling them I was headed out, not to worry, and they never came after me.

With humans, at least in the day, I know my first defense is in how I present myself. I have had guys come up behind me that seemed threatening in parks in the city. I have followed the advice I have read: I stood as tall as possible (not terribly possible for me), walked with as much confidence as possible, swaggered, turned around and looked the guy right in the eye with a look that said, "I've been looking for someone like you all day, I've got some aggressions to take out." I'll usually speak to them in a very loud deep voice full of confidence and strength. My words may be casual, but the tone is "don't f--- with me". I've had a lot of guys head the other way who had looked very threatening and were headed straight for me.

On the other hand, in the woods you have the disadvantage of it being dark.

The advantage is, you can pad your jacket and sleeves and look more burly and threatening than you actually are. People who attack people do scope you out to see if they can take you. Stuff socks up your sleeves before you go out. Wear a big hat to make you look taller. Whatever.

Swagger when you walk. Not like you're drunk, but like you're confident that you could beat to a pulp anyone you meet.

When I was doing so much night hiking I carried pepper spray and a stun-gun.

Pepper spray is good for hitting something at a little distance from you. If they grab you you cannot hit them with pepper spray, but you can hit them with your stun gun, especially if they come up from behind you and grab you. They are especially effective if you hit them in the arms.

If I am a fearful situation I'll loop the strap over my wrist so they can't take it without getting hit with it first.

A few times in the city I have had it in my purse and just taken it out when I felt threatened by someone. That's all that was needed. They took one look at it and were headed the other way in a second.

If just the looks of a stun-gun are enough to send someone running, I'm sure the bite of one would shock most into thinking that you were not the easy target they had previously assumed.

I like to stick to weapons that cannot be taken used on me and really hurt me, so knives are way out.

Most men are like mountain lions. They are looking for the easy meal. If you look like something that's going to cause them a whole lot of trouble, they're not going to bother.

Sure someone on crack will always be an exception, but really, how many defenses are there against someone on crack?? A big gun, that's about it.

Good luck.

You've got a lot of courage. Show it!!!

Thanks..but like I said, there's a fine line between bravery & stupidity, and I believe you and I both have done more than our fair share of toeing that line.

During my single days I used to hike alone with nothing but some water & my dog, camping & fishing & kayaking alone as well, & never thought twice about it. Now that I have a family, I'm beginning to think quite a bit differently. I think many people have a different line of thought when it comes to personal safety once they have children. I don't wish for this new preference for safety to keep me from doing the things I love, because that would be changing the very core of who I am. I just wish to do these things smarter.

SS

It depends on the area in the US too. Different bears different things you should do this is a rule of thumb and it works well in my area. I live in an area where some mornings you walk out the door and than back slowly back in it because hey there is a bear! Sometimes they are worse than deer about crossing the road and getting hit by cars. You think a deer can total a car, see what a bear can do haha.

Well I will give that a try if I am ever in that situation (which I don't plan on anytime soon, I think avoiding the situation all together is my first option) but I believe in back up plans so in this scenario..... back up will be a 50 Cal Smith and Wesson.

BTW did you ever see the documentary of the guy that ignored everyone and lived with Grizzlies in Alaska, worked ok for a little while till they flew over his camp and saw a Grizzly using his arm for a toothpick, don't think they found the rest of him or his girlfriend?

SS

Edited by Scubasonic

Sigh... another gun thread.

It's not intended to be strictly guns.. It was originally intended to be a thread about what others carry to give me & others like me ideas on what would be reasonable to carry ourselves.

Of course, guns seem to be a weapon of choice. That being a hot button topic for many people has kind of led this thread deeper into "what you should & should not do" & "this is how I feel about guns" than the original idea warranted.

For me, that's ok, but I know some like to adhere to the topic.

I know. Really, I do. But hide and watch. It will be a gun thread.

It's not intended to be strictly guns.. It was originally intended to be a thread about what others carry to give me & others like me ideas on what would be reasonable to carry ourselves.

Of course, guns seem to be a weapon of choice. That being a hot button topic for many people has kind of led this thread deeper into "what you should & should not do" & "this is how I feel about guns" than the original idea warranted.

;) probably.

It would seem that many of us American geocachers love guns. I think that most geocachers are the "outdoors" type.

SS

Was this the show where the guy claims that he beat up the bear that attacked him? These bears have lived so close to the edge of the city and eaten so much of man's garbage that they have lost their fear of man.

It depends on the area in the US too.

Yup! Here in Florida, your only chance of getting hurt by a black bear is if you happen to stand in his path as he is running away from another human. Or, if you bounce one off the front bumper of your Mini at 60 MPH. I can't imagine anyone thinking of them as threatening. But change the shade a bit, to brown, and change the geographic location a few thousand miles northwest and it's a whole different ball game.

It will be a gun thread.

So far, it's a bear, human, stick, gun, feral cattle, pepper spray, wild hog and Taser thread.

Some overly sensitive people will filter out everything but the word "gun".

They'll toss out a few flippant, vague anti-gun comments.

Then the gun proponents will respond in kind.

Then it will become a gun thread.

As you will soon learn, yours is a self fulfilling prophecy. ;)

SS

I find SS's suggestion that Cyndaria is "underestimating the situation" ironic. One of their earlier posts on the topic:
<snip>

I'd rather get beaten with my own stick than shot with my own gun.

<snip>

:D haha not only is it funny, it's a good point

Difference is I know how to use one, but obviously you don't.

SS

Considering the ironic post (that is, the first one I quoted) was made in reply to someone who made this post:
Around here I have the problem of both animal and humans. Humans I am not to worried about. I have been taking martial arts and self defense classes since I was 6 and am trained in several different fighting and self defense techniques. If I can't disarm a guy with a gun at this point well I've wasted a lot of money.
Yes, I realize that SS was replying to two different people in those posts. Thing is, Cyndaria sounds like she'd be pretty capable at disarming whoever she needed to. This demonstrates that there are people out there who, no matter how well you might "know how to use one", will be able to disarm you pretty quickly. Cyndaria might be underestimating a situation with a wild animal, but SS is underestimating a situation with a human being. Statistically humans kill more people per year than bears do, I'll take my chances with the bears, frankly.

Besides that, the "I know how to use one" post is completely off topic, IMO. The OP is asking what they should do. Unless SS is suggesting that the OP bring them along on midnight cache runs, their overinflated opinion on how well they can handle themselves in a situation is completely irrelevant.

This demonstrates that there are people out there who, no matter how well you might "know how to use one", will be able to disarm you pretty quickly.

This kinda makes me laugh, reminds me of the Movie Indiana Jones when he gets into the city and this guy about 7 Ft tall pulls out these huge swords and demonstrates his talent with them, and Indiana, looking unimpressed just pulls out his gun and shoots the guy "GAME OVER" well unless she learned how to dodge bullets in her numerous Martial arts classes she may have wasted her money regarding guns.

SS

Yup! Here in Florida, your only chance of getting hurt by a black bear is if you happen to stand in his path as he is running away from another human. Or, if you bounce one off the front bumper of your Mini at 60 MPH. I can't imagine anyone thinking of them as threatening. But change the shade a bit, to brown, and change the geographic location a few thousand miles northwest and it's a whole different ball game.

Even in the land of grizzlies and brown bears, bear attacks just aren't that common. We lived in Alaska for 3.5 years, and in that time I only remember reading about 3 bear attacks--1 mauling, 2 fatalities. All 3 were situations where the human surprised the bear, and the bear attacked and ran. Obviously it's something you still need to be aware of, but not something that would keep me awake at night. There's also a statistic out there (and I can't remember what it is, so I'll just make something up ;) ) that says most bear attacks happen against humans that are by themselves. So your best defense against bears is to take a friend or two along with you!

This demonstrates that there are people out there who, no matter how well you might "know how to use one", will be able to disarm you pretty quickly.
This kinda makes me laugh, reminds me of the Movie Indiana Jones when he gets into the city and this guy about 7 Ft tall pulls out these huge swords and demonstrates his talent with them, and Indiana, looking unimpressed just pulls out his gun and shoots the guy "GAME OVER" well unless she learned how to dodge bullets in her numerous Martial arts classes she may have wasted her money regarding guns.

SS

Uhh... My point is that there are people who will disarm you faster than you can unholster, aim, and fire your sidearm. It's funny in the movie, but it was the guy behind Indy that would have been the real danger in a non-Hollywood situation.

So the 3 of us are going for this cache in the woods, & we near a cache. Right up the road from the cache (but not so near that the cache could be the excuse) our headlights fall upon a man belly crawling through the bushes. I'm not kidding. Middle of nowhere, 1 am. Full grown dude crawling through some bushes.. I'm not sure what the craziest part was. That it happened, or that we got the cache anyways..

I don't get it. To me the whole purpose of any self defence tool is to be assit you in getting out of an unexpected situation safely, not to win avoidable fights. What kind of circumstances could it be that you didn't just drive away and call 911?

SS

That comment bothered me as well. I grew up with guns and have studied/trained in several martial arts. In close quarters I think I'd rather disarm a gun than a knife.

Having said that...

Real life is different than the dojo and disarming someone with a gun quickly becomes impractical with distance and a properly trained gun holder.

My best defense is knowledge, observation, and situational experience.

So the 3 of us are going for this cache in the woods, & we near a cache. Right up the road from the cache (but not so near that the cache could be the excuse) our headlights fall upon a man belly crawling through the bushes. I'm not kidding. Middle of nowhere, 1 am. Full grown dude crawling through some bushes.. I'm not sure what the craziest part was. That it happened, or that we got the cache anyways..

I don't get it. To me the whole purpose of any self defence tool is to be assit you in getting out of an unexpected situation safely, not to win avoidable fights. What kind of circumstances could it be that you didn't just drive away and call 911?

The circumstance where you are in the middle of the woods, a mile (or three) from the vehicle, with no phone service & an encounter with a surprised animal or a human with bad intentions happens quickly.

Say we didn't happen to see the full grown man belly crawling through the bushes? Say we happily pile out of the truck & trek into the woods in seperate directions looking for the cache. Say I stooped down to look underneath some brush for the cache & all of a sudden somebody that I never knew was there is on top of me, overpowering me before I even know what's going on. In that circumstance, I don't think flipping open the cell phone as I hop into the truck is going to happen.

I'll apologize if I misunderstood. For most of my life "headlights" were only on vehicles. If the headlights were on your head and you were miles from your vehicle then yes, you have to deal with the situation differently. If you were in the vehicle, then I still do not understand.

It will be a gun thread.

So far, it's a bear, human, stick, gun, feral cattle, pepper spray, wild hog and Taser thread.

Some overly sensitive people will filter out everything but the word "gun".

They'll toss out a few flippant, vague anti-gun comments.

Then the gun proponents will respond in kind.

Then it will become a gun thread.

As you will soon learn, yours is a self fulfilling prophecy. ;)

I love gun threads. :D Someone sure knows how to get one started. Today I'll be packing my Walther PPK in a non-print pocket holster w/extra mag. May do some "Urban Caching" today. :ph34r:

Happy 4th of July! :D

I'll apologize if I misunderstood. For most of my life "headlights" were only on vehicles. If the headlights were on your head and you were miles from your vehicle then yes, you have to deal with the situation differently. If you were in the vehicle, then I still do not understand.

I was in the vehicle at the time. I'm sorry if you don't understand what I am trying to get across: the possible circumstance of having not seen him ahead of time, driving the very little distance up the road to the cache, us splitting up in the dark in the woods (again, not knowing he was there) & one of us encountering him while alone.

The very fact that he was even out there in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, in the middle of the woods, acting so very strangely, just further cemented the fact that I need to be a little wiser sometimes because strange people can be anywhere.

I'm sorry if you don't understand what I am trying to get across: the possible circumstance of having not seen him ahead of time, driving the very little distance up the road to the cache, us splitting up in the dark in the woods (again, not knowing he was there) & one of us encountering him while alone.

I certainly understand the possibilities of a strange man crawling around in your vicinity, and the extra danger if you don't know he is there. Just in case I am not making myself understood: If I was armed, in great shape, and trained in martial arts, I would not have knowingly gone in to that situation. Disaster averted is a risk free win for you.

I feel like I'm repeating myself so I guess I am finished here. Be safe and get good training if you decide to get the CCL.

I'm sorry if you don't understand what I am trying to get across: the possible circumstance of having not seen him ahead of time, driving the very little distance up the road to the cache, us splitting up in the dark in the woods (again, not knowing he was there) & one of us encountering him while alone.

I certainly understand the possibilities of a strange man crawling around in your vicinity, and the extra danger if you don't know he is there. Just in case I am not making myself understood: If I was armed, in great shape, and trained in martial arts, I would not have knowingly gone in to that situation. Disaster averted is a risk free win for you.

I feel like I'm repeating myself so I guess I am finished here. Be safe and get good training if you decide to get the CCL.

I see. You don't understand why we went after it anyways. To be honest, when I truly weigh it out, neither do I. There were 3 of us together that time, though, which inspires more confidence in the situation. We stuck close together. That's a rare occurrence, & had I had to search alone I wouldn't have done so knowing he was there.

What I was trying to say is, what if I had been alone & didn't know he was there. I would have gone after the cache. That's where we crossed wires. Which is ok, I've gotcha now. :)