Back off! I have a...pen.

So, for reasons that cannot be changed, I often cache at night. This usually lands me in the middle of the woods by myself at some point, if not often, during the night.

During these times, while listening to various noises in the brush & imagining Bigfoot or a psychotic serial killer, I always wonder at the stupid decision I have just made to do this. Then (and it never fails) I do it again.

So, I have thought about it, & instead of wandering into the woods by myself with a pen & a flashlight, I'm going to acquire some things to make sure I have at least minimal protection from either wild animals or other people..instead of a half-***ed plan to blind whatever it is with my weak flashlight, throw my pen in the general direction of eyeballs, & then make a run for it. (Which would inevitably involve me running headlong into a tree at some point during my flight. & really, let's face it, I don't run that fast. It would be a pathetic attempt at a getaway.)

So, what are some things that ya'll bring along with you to protect yourselves if needed? I've heard of bear mace, & thought about getting my concealed license, even though there's some areas you can't carry a concealed weapon. Give me some ideas! Thanks in advance.

So, for reasons that cannot be changed, I often cache at night. This usually lands me in the middle of the woods by myself at some point, if not often, during the night.

During these times, while listening to various noises in the brush & imagining Bigfoot or a psychotic serial killer, I always wonder at the stupid decision I have just made to do this. Then (and it never fails) I do it again.

So, I have thought about it, & instead of wandering into the woods by myself with a pen & a flashlight, I'm going to acquire some things to make sure I have at least minimal protection from either wild animals or other people..instead of a half-***ed plan to blind whatever it is with my weak flashlight, throw my pen in the general direction of eyeballs, & then make a run for it. (Which would inevitably involve me running headlong into a tree at some point during my flight. & really, let's face it, I don't run that fast. It would be a pathetic attempt at a getaway.)

So, what are some things that ya'll bring along with you to protect yourselves if needed? I've heard of bear mace, & thought about getting my concealed license, even though there's some areas you can't carry a concealed weapon. Give me some ideas! Thanks in advance.

I confused you with another player. I thought that you were suggesting getting a CCW permit in Southern California. Best laugh I've had all day.

Any tool can be a weapon. I like Blue Deuce's suggestion of a sturdy walking stick. If you're planning to use it defensively there are many varieties of martial arts that include stick fighting (kendo and kung fu both come to mind -- but there are others). Certainly, whatever tool/weapon you choose to carry, choose something you can enjoyably* practice with often. When you need it, you don't want to miss or have it taken away from you.

---

* enjoyably: because if it ain't fun you won't stick with it.

Any tool can be a weapon. I like Blue Deuce's suggestion of a sturdy walking stick. If you're planning to use it defensively there are many varieties of martial arts that include stick fighting (kendo and kung fu both come to mind -- but there are others). Certainly, whatever tool/weapon you choose to carry, choose something you can enjoyably* practice with often. When you need it, you don't want to miss or have it taken away from you.

---

That's why I'm considering a concealed license. I'm a dang good shot, and enjoy shooting.

I'm not so sure about a walking stick..unless I did get some training. Honestly, with my family, I don't have the time for formal training. It would end up with me trying to swing the stick like a ball bat & racking it up against trees in mid swing, as the trees are dense in the forests around here.

Also, with me being of the smaller variety, & (yes, I'll say it) a woman, it would probably be stripped from my grasp in the event of a struggle with another human being. Woman have a disadvantage when it comes to upper body & arm strength; that's just the way it is. (Unless, of course, they have a lot of the aforementioned training.).

The chances of "the psycho serial killer" (dun dun duuuun) being another woman? Slim to none. I do like the idea of a taser...although I have known someone that took multiple taser shots to his body & kept right on going..I'm still fond of the idea.

Smaller variety, little upper body strength, shouldn't matter. You can kill a man with your bare hands -- just a couple properly placed fingers. A stick or other tool just expands your options so it doesn't have to come down to hand combat -- but you have to be prepared.

Smaller variety, little upper body strength, shouldn't matter. You can kill a man with your bare hands -- just a couple properly placed fingers. A stick or other tool just expands your options so it doesn't have to come down to hand combat -- but you have to be prepared.

That's exactly what I was saying.

You may be a good shot on the range, but how about when you are surprised...in the dark woods...from behind? Guns can get dropped/taken away too, and I'd rather get beaten with my own stick than shot with my own gun.

If you want to defend yourself with a stick, you POKE your adversary, preferably in the face (or other sensitive area ;) ) as hard and as fast as possible. It helps if your end of the stick has some sort of grip, or maybe a strap. A strap isn't really such a good idea though, because you might not be able to let go if you want/need to.

A good stick can come in handy for lots of other uses as well.

Also, you probably won't kill anyone if you overreact to a situation where you really aren't being attacked at all.

I'd go with a good sturdy stick and the defense spray.

---

That's why I'm considering a concealed license. I'm a dang good shot, and enjoy shooting.

I'm not so sure about a walking stick..unless I did get some training. Honestly, with my family, I don't have the time for formal training. It would end up with me trying to swing the stick like a ball bat & racking it up against trees in mid swing, as the trees are dense in the forests around here.

Also, with me being of the smaller variety, & (yes, I'll say it) a woman, it would probably be stripped from my grasp in the event of a struggle with another human being. Woman have a disadvantage when it comes to upper body & arm strength; that's just the way it is. (Unless, of course, they have a lot of the aforementioned training.).

The chances of "the psycho serial killer" (dun dun duuuun) being another woman? Slim to none. I do like the idea of a taser...although I have known someone that took multiple taser shots to his body & kept right on going..I'm still fond of the idea.

The tasers that law enforcement carry are severely underpowered compared to what is on the market these days. You can get a taser that will do much more damage.

Also if you plan on carrying a gun I suggest you get into some IDPA competitions. They will help you react quicker under pressure if you did need to use the gun.

Edited by LoneWolf112a

WOW! FTF hunts must be very interesting in your areas. ;)

Haha! :P actually, we rarely participate in FTF hunts..only on the rare occasion that we get the notification while we're already out. No, there's another reason we mostly go at night, & we have to take turns so we always go one person at a time.

---

The tasers that law enforcement carry are severely underpowered compared to what is on the market these days. You can get a taser that will do much more damage.

Also if you plan on carrying a gun I suggest you get into some IDPA competitions. They will help you react quicker under pressure if you did need to use the gun.

Both good points

<snip>

I'd rather get beaten with my own stick than shot with my own gun.

<snip>

:D haha not only is it funny, it's a good point

Oh goodness of course. The most I'm looking for is something that will let me get away as quick as possible. That's typically my car. Or get me help, and that's my cellphone. Everything else is last resort (assuming that I just gave them my car keys, cellphone and wallet. That stuff can be replaced)

I don't know what the laws are where you live, but here in Georgia a tazer is allowed to be concealed on your person even if you do not have a weapons license. However I have a weapons license so I keep a firearm with me whenever it is legal.

In our area you can Open Carry a sidearm.

SS

<snip>

<snip>

Difference is I know how to use one, but obviously you don't.

SS

Now, now..it was just a funny observation. If surprised, they aren't sure of themselves with a gun. Not an argumentative point, just a point to consider. One that we should all consider for ourselves before being put in that position. That's all BD was saying..

<snip>

<snip>

SS

Now, now..it was just a funny observation. If surprised, they aren't sure of themselves with a gun. Not an argumentative point, just a point to consider. One that we should all consider for ourselves before being put in that position. That's all BD was saying..

Yes I know, There are Many times especially at night that I find myself alone after a FTF, I have been legally carrying for a few years now. I am happy to report that there has never been a time that I have considered drawing my weapon because as mentioned it is truly, only as a LAST resort in a life and death situation.

SS

Edited by Scubasonic

<snip>

<snip>

SS

Yes I know, There are Many times especially at night that I find myself alone after a FTF, I have been legally carrying for a few years now. I am happy to report that there has never been a time that I have considered drawing my weapon because as mentioned it is truly, only as a LAST resort in a life and death situation.

SS

I hope that is always the case, that you never have to use it. At the same time, I'm glad you have it if you need it.

As will be the case if I decide to do the same.

<snip>

<snip>

SS

SS

I hope that is always the case, that you never have to use it. At the same time, I'm glad you have it if you need it.

It just gives you that added sense of security, when out at 2 am looking for that darn FTF :unsure:

Scubasonic

A couple of sticks of dynamite with short fuses works pretty well, too. Just don't forget that Bic!

Haha that way I can blow us both up when I end up plowing headfirst into that tree! Excellent. Kind of like a "If I don't win, nobody wins!" situation. I like it.

Just watch some old Clint Eastwood westerns. You'll figure it out.

<snip>

<snip>

SS

SS

It just gives you that added sense of security, when out at 2 am looking for that darn FTF :unsure:

Scubasonic

I feel like owning a an FN-Scar for that added sense of security... I'm trying to get that passed in PA, I feel as though open carry on handguns isn't enough, I want assault rifles for even more security. Hell, honestly, I want every civilian to be able to own a nuclear weapon, ya know, "for that added security".

<snip>

<snip>

SS

RT not BD. Not that I disagree.

I feel like owning a an FN-Scar for that added sense of security... I'm trying to get that passed in PA, I feel as though open carry on handguns isn't enough, I want assault rifles for even more security. Hell, honestly, I want every civilian to be able to own a nuclear weapon, ya know, "for that added security".

Spoken like someone who is absolutely dependent on his government to protect him.

Spoken like someone who is absolutely dependent on his government to protect him.

What? It was spoken like someone who can defend himself without the need for a gun.

What? It was spoken like someone who can defend himself without the need for a gun.

Tomato, tomAto, I guess.

<snip>

<snip>

SS

RT not BD. Not that I disagree.

Oops, sorry about that.

Ok, after tonight's caching experiences I believe at the very least bear mace is going to be purchased & I'm definitely thinking more seriously about the concealed license.

We were lucky tonight, & had a sitter & another cacher to accompany us. We still had to go at night, but we could all hunt together-not a bad deal.

So the 3 of us are going for this cache in the woods, & we near a cache. Right up the road from the cache (but not so near that the cache could be the excuse) our headlights fall upon a man belly crawling through the bushes. I'm not kidding. Middle of nowhere, 1 am. Full grown dude crawling through some bushes.. I'm not sure what the craziest part was. That it happened, or that we got the cache anyways..

Fast forward to later in the night (or earlier this morning, however you wish to look at it) I step in fresh bear poop while searching for a night cache. We hear a lot of popping & cracking of sticks & hear something big moving around very near to us. Too close for comfort. That cache we did NOT stick around to get.

Yup. Definitely need to be smarter about this, & prepare ourselves against a bad situation. Some nights just pour on the crazy.

Ok, after tonight's caching experiences I believe at the very least bear mace is going to be purchased & I'm definitely thinking more seriously about the concealed license.

We were lucky tonight, & had a sitter & another cacher to accompany us. We still had to go at night, but we could all hunt together-not a bad deal.

So the 3 of us are going for this cache in the woods, & we near a cache. Right up the road from the cache (but not so near that the cache could be the excuse) our headlights fall upon a man belly crawling through the bushes. I'm not kidding. Middle of nowhere, 1 am. Full grown dude crawling through some bushes.. I'm not sure what the craziest part was. That it happened, or that we got the cache anyways..

Fast forward to later in the night (or earlier this morning, however you wish to look at it) I step in fresh bear poop while searching for a night cache. We hear a lot of popping & cracking of sticks & hear something big moving around very near to us. Too close for comfort. That cache we did NOT stick around to get.

Yup. Definitely need to be smarter about this, & prepare ourselves against a bad situation. Some nights just pour on the crazy.

May be the crawling guy had just been half eaten by the bear ? :)

From the Taser website:

Is the C2 ECD the same model used by law enforcement?

The C2 ECD uses the same exact technology and offers the same stopping power as the police version.

Personally, I think a Taser is a poor choice for a self defense weapon, out in the woods. A Taser uses Neuromuscular Incapacitation to temporarily disable your opponent. Part of our qualification process involves getting shot by them. They do work, very well. Along with an incredible amount of discomfort, your joints lock up as if someone flipped a light switch, shutting them off. You are literally unable to move.

Until it completes its cycle.

Once the Taser shuts itself off, (which in the civilian models is after 30 seconds), there are no after effects. Unlike the silliness portrayed in Hollyweird, Tasers don't knock the bad guy out. Once they run their course, the bad guy will be fully functional, and probably really pissed off. Taser extended the cycle to 30 seconds, because the civilian model is meant to be fired and dropped.

What we find happening a lot is folks deploy their Taser at a real threat, the bad guy drops like a stone, then the victim runs away, still holding their Taser. Interviews suggest that folks react this way because, in the back of their mind, they know they just spent $400 for the thing, and they don't want to leave it laying on the side of the road. Unfortunately for them, the very thin wires that connect the probes to the Taser are only 15' long. The victim takes just a few steps, snaps the wires, disrupts the charge, and then they face a really angry bad guy.

There's really no logical reason for this, as Taser will replace, free of charge, any device that was deployed in self defense, so long as you have a police report documenting the incident.

The other thing that happens a lot is, folks deploy the Taser, panic for a few seconds till their brain kicks in, then they drop it, as instructed, and run like the dickens. The average time between deployment and the Taser being dropped is 5 to 10 seconds. If you go outside with a stopwatch, you'll see that you really can't cover a whole lotta ground in 20 to 25 seconds. But since the Taser also acts as a stun gun once it's been deployed, you'll have plenty of motivation to run, as the angry bad guy is now going to be armed with the device you just zapped him with.

It just seems like a really bad idea.

If surprised, they aren't sure of themselves with a gun.

That's more of a mindset issue than a handgun Vs pepper spray, Vs big stick, Vs Taser, Vs harsh language issue. If you do not have the mindset to do unto the bad guy before he does unto you, it really doesn't matter what self defense aid you carry. The people who blink in the face of violent criminal acts will blink no matter how they are armed. Likewise, the type of person who over reacts to perceived threats is likely to over react regardless of what self defense tool they carry.

As to what you should carry? That's entirely up to you. I carry my hiking stick to keep any 4 legged critters from causing me harm. It has worked effectively against 10' alligators, 2000 pound feral bulls, wild hogs, venomous snakes of many varieties, and the occasional feral dog. In all instances, we both walked away unharmed. Other critters I've encountered out in the woods are black bears and coyotes. I haven't had to do more than say "Boo" to them, to get them to go away. Our panther population is too skittish to be a threat. They will be long gone before you ever see them. Bobcats might check you out, but you are much too big for them to consider dinner.

For the two legged critters, I carry my Glock.

Never had to use it, or even display it, and I hope things stay that way.

But I'd rather have it and not need it, as opposed to needing it and not having it.

Sigh... another gun thread.

It's not intended to be strictly guns.. It was originally intended to be a thread about what others carry to give me & others like me ideas on what would be reasonable to carry ourselves.

Of course, guns seem to be a weapon of choice. That being a hot button topic for many people has kind of led this thread deeper into "what you should & should not do" & "this is how I feel about guns" than the original idea warranted.

For me, that's ok, but I know some like to adhere to the topic.