Cameras with GPS built in

Several manufacturers are advertising cameras that have a built-in GPS

unit which records location data to the photo's index file.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geotagged_photograph for more information.

I understand SOME of the cameras also show and record the bearing (which

direction you are facing).

What are your thoughts?

I haven't bought one (yet, anyway) because

1. I generally don't need to geotag my photos.

2. I often use the telephoto function on my camera, and

the area I photograph may be up to 1/4 mile away from the spot

I'm taking the photo from.

3. One more complicating piece of information to add to my life.

:smile:

Several manufacturers are advertising cameras that have a built-in GPS

unit which records location data to the photo's index file.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geotagged_photograph for more information.

I understand SOME of the cameras also show and record the bearing (which

direction you are facing).

What are your thoughts?

I haven't bought one (yet, anyway) because

1. I generally don't need to geotag my photos.

2. I often use the telephoto function on my camera, and

the area I photograph may be up to 1/4 mile away from the spot

I'm taking the photo from.

3. One more complicating piece of information to add to my life.

:smile:

Useful I suppose if you want to geotag your photos. I do the same thing with my Oregon - take a pilot pic with the Oregon to fix the co-ords for pics I take with other cameras...when it's somewhere that having the co-ords is relevant.

Nothing to do with caching though, really, is it?

In the case of .jpg files, at any rate, the coordinates are optionally stored in the EXIF data block, along with all sorts of other information. Many image viewers can show you the EXIF data, and there are a couple of plug-ins available for Firefox (and probably other browsers). I keep checking the galleries of tough puzzle caches, but haven't found one yet that shows me the coords of the final. But maybe one of these days! :)

In the case of .jpg files, at any rate, the coordinates are optionally stored in the EXIF data block, along with all sorts of other information. Many image viewers can show you the EXIF data, and there are a couple of plug-ins available for Firefox (and probably other browsers). I keep checking the galleries of tough puzzle caches, but haven't found one yet that shows me the coords of the final. But maybe one of these days! :)

Ohh, now THAT is devilishly clever!!

Let us know when it pays off. :ph34r:

Trouble is, any EXIF data is stripped when you upload your image to GC.com.

You might have a chance of getting something if the image is stored on another site.

A camera like that would be useful for me since my family takes lots of photos in remote places and we'd have no way to know where they were taken without geotagging. We just match the photos up with the track log from the GPS on the computer but that doesn't always work. A camera with a GPS built in would save lots of work.

As for the OP, the geotag was never meant to record the location of the subject of your photo, but rather the location you took the photo from. So it doesn't matter how far you zoom in, the GPS was always meant to record where you were standing. It's also not that complicating. Your camera already records the time, date, camera manufacturer, model number, focal length, shutter speed, aperture, and whether the flash was used and you never have to ever manage this information. The same is the case with the geocode. You won't have to deal with it unless you want to check where the photo was taken.

A camera like that would be useful for me since my family takes lots of photos in remote places and we'd have no way to know where they were taken without geotagging. We just match the photos up with the track log from the GPS on the computer but that doesn't always work. A camera with a GPS built in would save lots of work.

A lot of smart phones have that feature. Camera's have been ubiquitous in phones for a long time and with the addition of GPS chips in smart phones makes it fairly easy to create geotagged photos. With the addition of an internal compass a smart phone can use one of the many augmented reality apps available such as Layers and Wikitude.

I accidentally discovered my iPhone 3GS has that built in. After taking some pics and looking at them, I found a location tab of some sort that popped open a map with blue spots everywhere I took a pic. When I tap the spot, the pics for that location pop up. I suppose if I dug deeper I could produce the coordinates for them since it shows on the map. Still on the fence with the iPhone, but starting to like it more.

I did that once with my old pocket camera. Synchronize the clock in the camera to the GPS and then use the tracklog(s) to geotag all pictures. Worked very well for me because I found a nifty tool called gpscorrelate that does exactly that and all automatically. The only problem for me is that I'm both lazy and forgetful, so either I leave the camera at home, forget to sync the time, or just can't be bothered to do so.

You might have a chance of getting something if the image is stored on another site.

I don't think GC.com strips EXIF data. Check this image and see if you can figure out where it was taken:

a65bf256-ac11-4a94-8df9-37951722f615.jpg

I don't think GC.com strips EXIF data. Check this image and see if you can figure out where it was taken:

File name	: a65bf256-ac11-4a94-8df9-37951722f615.jpg
File size	: 219414 bytes
File date	: 2011:07:05 10:16:26
Camera make  : Canon
Camera model : Canon PowerShot D10
Date/Time	: 2011:05:21 11:27:35
Resolution   : 600 x 450
Flash used   : No
Focal length :  6.2mm  (35mm equivalent: 241mm)
CCD width	: 0.93mm
Exposure time: 0.0050 s  (1/200)
Aperture 	: f/8.0
Focus dist.  : 655.23m
ISO equiv.   : 80
Exposure bias: -0.33
Whitebalance : Auto
Metering Mode: pattern
Exposure Mode: Manual
GPS Latitude : N 36d 48m 35.41s
GPS Longitude: W 80d 21m  0.64s
GPS Altitude :  978.90m

Did you resize the picture before uploading or did you let the website do it?

I resized it before uploading it.

I've looked into a few of these cameras because my better half was interested in one for her birthday.

From the Olympus and the Cannon models of pocket cameras I've seen reviewed its come to my attention that these can be iffy propositions gpswise.

A couple of concerns that popped up were issues of battery usage due to the gps being on even when the camera is off making them battery hogs. And the amount of time they take to find themselves satellite wise. In some cases upwards of 10 minutes or more.

As far as battery life is concerned, you can carry extra batteries for the trips. But for the gps connection, some reviewers stated that as many as 40% or better outside pics were ungeotagged and better than 90 inside due to loss of lock or just the time it takes to connect after the phone is turned on.

I love the idea of a gps enabled phone, but think I will wait a bit for refinements.

Haven't found this to be true. Found one really tough puzzle cache this way and got a clue for another. :D

Haven't found this to be true. Found one really tough puzzle cache this way and got a clue for another. :D

I think the stripping is a fairly recently added "feature".

A lot of smart phones have that feature. Camera's have been ubiquitous in phones for a long time and with the addition of GPS chips in smart phones makes it fairly easy to create geotagged photos. With the addition of an internal compass a smart phone can use one of the many augmented reality apps available such as Layers and Wikitude.

We're not big on taking vacation photos with a smartphone. We have a new Nikon SLR and they manufacturer an add on GPS receiver for their cameras, so we'll probably use one of those.

EXIF data was only stripped for a few months. Since the January 17th site update, no EXIF data has been stripped. I strongly recommend you go back through any photos you've uploaded for multis or puzzles since January 17th (and photos uploaded to any of your owned puzzles) to check for any possible spoiler photos. It turns out I had a few, and I believe The_Incredibles_ used one of mine for the puzzle she mentioned. When I was made aware of it by the owner, I felt really bad, but he was very understanding. I've now learned my lesson: never assume this site is working the same as it was yesterday!

EXIF data was only stripped for a few months. Since the January 17th site update, no EXIF data has been stripped. I strongly recommend you go back through any photos you've uploaded for multis or puzzles since January 17th (and photos uploaded to any of your owned puzzles) to check for any possible spoiler photos. It turns out I had a few, and I believe The_Incredibles_ used one of mine for the puzzle she mentioned. When I was made aware of it by the owner, I felt really bad, but he was very understanding. I've now learned my lesson: never assume this site is working the same as it was yesterday!

Hey, don't feel bad and don't stop uploading those photos, eh? :ph34r:

I'd find this sort of thing to be very helpful when assembling a hike on Everytrail. When I get home from a long hike, the last thing on my mind is where I took the pictures. I'm one of those people who takes about 80 pictures on a hike, then regrets it later when it comes to rotating, cropping, resizing, naming, organizing and such. Problem is .. I take such wonderful pictures. T'is a curse!

Looking at the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and wondering if I could do GPS with that at some point .. looks like a nice camera.

Hmm... I tried Google EXIF, and this is what I got. Don't see coords there. :(

Date Time Original 2011:05:21 11:27:35

Exposure Time 1/200

F Number f / 8

ISO Speed Ratings 80

Metering Mode Pattern

Flash Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Focal Length 6.2mm

White Balance Auto white balance

Make Canon

Model Canon PowerShot D10

Exif Version

Flashpix Version

Color Space 1

Pixel X Dimension 600

Pixel Y Dimension 450

CompressedBitsPerPixel 3

Maker Note 822

User Comment 3046

Date Time Digitized 2011:05:21 11:27:35

Shutter Speed Value 7.65625

Aperture Value 6

Exposure Bias -0.3333333333333333

Max Aperture Value 2.96875

Focal Plane X Resolution 16460.90534979424

Focal Plane Y Resolution 16483.516483516483

Focal Plane Resolution Unit 2

Sensing Method One-chip color area sensor

File Source DSC

Custom Rendered Normal process

Exposure Mode 1

Digital Zoom Ration 1

Scene Capture Type Standard

InteroperabilityIFDPointer 3310

ExifIFDPointer 316

GPSInfoIFDPointer 3392

Orientation 1

YCbCr Positioning 2

X Resolution 180

Y Resolution 180

Resolution Unit 2

Date Time 2011:05:21 11:27:35

Image Description

Software Copiks PhotoMapper (software.copiks.se)

Hmm... I tried Google EXIF, and this is what I got. Don't see coords there. :(

[snip]

There is no standard for coordinates in exif. (I use Panoramio.com, which is all about geolocating photos. For a time, it seemed hardly a week went by without someone coming up with a new situation where Panoramio's reader could not deciper the coords that were in the exif.) If it's a format that the reader does not understand, it might not display the data.

Austin

Well, I tried the Panasonic Lumix ZS10.

Works great EXCEPT for the GPS, which seems to take forever to capture the satellites, so when I get home MOST OF THE TIME there is no GPS data in the ELIX files.

Long story short: Sold it.

Reading the reviews it seems most all of the GPS digital cameras take a while to

acquire the satellites, so I may have acted too soon.

Now I'm looking at:

1. Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS ($280) 14MP with 720p video.

Rugged, excellent macro feature. GPS is also slow and has only 5X zoom.

2. Sony DSCHXV9 ($328) 16MP.

More expensive but also has great macro feature for close-ups and

full 1080p video.

3. Cascio EXILIM H2OG 14 MP. ($230)

Hearing good reports on the GPS function. 10X zoom.

720p video.

Will study the reviews for more info.

Well, I tried the Panasonic Lumix ZS10.

Works great EXCEPT for the GPS, which seems to take forever to capture the satellites, so when I get home MOST OF THE TIME there is no GPS data in the ELIX files.

Long story short: Sold it.

Reading the reviews it seems most all of the GPS digital cameras take a while to

acquire the satellites, so I may have acted too soon.

Now I'm looking at:

1. Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS ($280) 14MP with 720p video.

Rugged, excellent macro feature. GPS is also slow and has only 5X zoom.

2. Sony DSCHXV9 ($328) 16MP.

More expensive but also has great macro feature for close-ups and

full 1080p video.

3. Cascio EXILIM H2OG 14 MP. ($230)

Hearing good reports on the GPS function. 10X zoom.

720p video.

Will study the reviews for more info.

Might check the Olympus TG-810

Anyone knows how good (or bad) is the Canon S100 at geotagging?

I've read that it is a battery hog, but no one said anything about the performance.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons100/6 All the way at the bottom of the page it talks about the battery.

Battery seems to be an issue with about all Cameras which do GPS tagging. The bummer is most of them take some stinkin' special battery. I have loads of AA NIMH cells in my pack and am happy to carry more if I had a device that used them. Not thrilled to buy a camera with some whizzy Lithium cell which costs an arm and a few fingers to have a few back up batteries for when it goes dim.

Anyone knows how good (or bad) is the Canon S100 at geotagging?

I've read that it is a battery hog, but no one said anything about the performance.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons100/6 All the way at the bottom of the page it talks about the battery.

Battery seems to be an issue with about all Cameras which do GPS tagging. The bummer is most of them take some stinkin' special battery. I have loads of AA NIMH cells in my pack and am happy to carry more if I had a device that used them. Not thrilled to buy a camera with some whizzy Lithium cell which costs an arm and a few fingers to have a few back up batteries for when it goes dim.

The dpreview article didn't seem to give the GPS receiver high marks either, but I prefer to hear from someone who knows GPS receivers instead of people who know cameras.

I'm rather disappointed by Canon's decision to stop supporting AA batteries in their lowest series cameras too. I understand that lithium batteries can be smaller, are more energy dense, and has less constraint on the shape of the camera. If you look at, say, DSLRs with battery grips that support AA batteries, the performance of AA batteries compared to LiIon is just pathetic. But I do miss the flexibility of AA batteries.

My wife gave me the S100 for my Birthday, and I used it for our recent trip to Northern Arizona. The battery life seemed to be fine for day long trips, in which I had the camera GPS on for the entire day, but I suspect it wouldn't last for a second day in that mode. Although I like the flexibility of AA batteries, I'm not sure they would hold up too long to the power drain that the GPS puts on the system. I picked up a spare Lithium and alternate them, although it does mean that I'm kind of tethered to a wall outlet, which makes it a bit less useful for backpacking trips, for instance.

Edit to add: The GPS in the S100 seems to be relatively accurate for the job, considering the general location that some of the mapping resources placed the pictures. I'd probably put in on par with a Smart Phone GPS, or in the "good enough" category.

Edited by Touchstone
Edit to add: The GPS in the S100 seems to be relatively accurate for the job, considering the general location that some of the mapping resources placed the pictures. I'd probably put in on par with a Smart Phone GPS, or in the "good enough" category.

Thanks! Did you note what is the time to first fix, both when you haven't traveled far from where you last used the camera, and when you've traveled a farther distance?

Edited by Chrysalides

Thanks! Did you note what is the time to first fix, both when you haven't traveled far from where you last used the camera, and when you've traveled a farther distance?

The time to first acquisition was very similar to my handheld GPS. There's a small icon on the LCD screen that indicates reception/no reception. From CA to AZ, it took 15-20 minutes it seemed. After the initial move and reacquisition, it seemed to be pretty responsive in the area (i.e. < 1 minute).

Oh, and I love the HDR mode on the camera. Although, I would recommend using a tripod when doing HDR photos. I ended up with some ghost images when it merged the three exposures.

FYI:

I decided to go with the Casio EXILIM H20G.

I like the description of the "hybrid GPS" which includes a motion sensor and

accelerometer, so it can tell where you are even when satellite signal is lost

for a short time. It also has a macro feature, and you can opt to have the

coordinate printed right onto the photo.

I will post a review once I've had a chance to check it out.

The time to first acquisition was very similar to my handheld GPS. There's a small icon on the LCD screen that indicates reception/no reception. From CA to AZ, it took 15-20 minutes it seemed. After the initial move and reacquisition, it seemed to be pretty responsive in the area (i.e. < 1 minute).

Oh, and I love the HDR mode on the camera. Although, I would recommend using a tripod when doing HDR photos. I ended up with some ghost images when it merged the three exposures.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

I've had the Casio EXILIM H20G (built-in GPS) for about a week now and I really like it.

The GPS function can be turned on or off to preserve the battery charge, but even with it on, it takes quite a while to discharge the battery.

I like:

1. The GPS takes only a few seconds to turn on.

2. The camera is small and fits in your shirt pocket.

3. The info file contains several important parameters, such as direction

the camera is facing, altitude, exposure, etc. The GPS information, however

is not as detailed (lower resolution) than my hand-held Garmin GPS. The

camera will often round off the last few decimal places.

4. Good zoom and picture quality.

5. Lots of bells and whistles, such as the panorama slide mode, which lets

you hold down the shutter, spin the camera, and it stitches together

a 360-degree panoramic shot for you.

6. Built-in video mode - though it's regular, not High Definition.

7. Relatively cheap price for all the features you get.

I don't like:

1. As the reviews note, the buttons are close together and I often press

something unintended. Even when inside the case something can turn on

by bumping the camera. I intend to get a hard shell carry bag for it.

2. Wish it had HD video, instead of the regular.

3. I don't like the "wide angle" as default. I prefer the standard (50mm?)

angle. You have to zoom in a wee bit to make the perspective look normal.

All-in-all: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

It's light weight and slim design means I can carry it anywhere

and I take it on every outing, not just geocaching.

Edited by FolsomNatural

There's a bit of a privacy concern to GPS-tagging of photos. For example, if you post online a picture of yourself at home and it has GPS tags, then anyone can find out your home address... if the picture shows your spiffy new home cinema system, then potentially, a thief could find out where to obtain said item. :o

The point of accidentally giving away the final location of a puzzle cache if you post pictures of GZ is also well taken.

I have a puzzle cache that relies on EXIF data, and it still remains solveable. So GS are not stripping all EXIF tags.