Topo Maps and Garmin 60Cx

My son recently acquired (through the internet) a Topo map for his 60Cx. He installed it into his unit and it works fine. He also has City Navigator N/A NT but the Topo maps appear to have "overwritten" the CN maps. When the Topo is removed, the CN map works fine again. Can you not have both on this device?

You can, but one will display on top of the other, making the other one invisible. Which one "wins" depends on the maps.

You can selectively turn on or off complete mapsets in the unit: Setup / Map / Information / Menu. At this point you can hide or show the different complete mapsets. (If you skip the last Menu button, you'll be just toggling individual maps, which can be tedious.)

It depends on what you mean by: When the Topo is removed, the CN map works fine again.

Its one of two things. You have to load both maps on the GPS at the same time. If you load just one, it replaces what is already loaded.

If you have both loaded on your GPS, City Navigator covers all (other than transparent) maps. So to see the topos, you have to disable City Navigator.

review thse:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-change-which-map-is-displayed-on-a-garmin-gps/

Its one of two things. You have to load both maps on the GPS at the same time. If you load just one, it replaces what is already loaded.

No, CN uses gmapprom.img whereas Topos use gmapsupp.img, so the two can and will coexist. gmapsupp.img will not overwrite gmapprom.img.

MtnHermit, are you thinking of OR's and later? My 60CSX only shows a gmapsupp.img in mass storage mode. It has both CNNANT from my hard drive and my homemade maps. Same file.

Actually, I looked at my Nuvi. So if you self install CN then it will be a single file? Color me corrected. :unsure:

The 60Cx and its siblings (correct me if I'm wrong) uses only a single file for maps, always called gmapsupp.img.

You can still load multiple mapsets into your unit though. In MapSource (I assume BaseCamp will be similar), select a mapset (eg CN) via the drop-down, then select as many map tiles as you want. Repeat for the other mapset(s), eg Topo. When done, send it all to the unit. The software then builds a single gmapsupp.img containing the map tiles (from multiple mapsets) you asked for, and sends it to the unit.

Then you can use the obscure technique from my earlier post above to flip between the two in your unit.

I never could figure out how to run CN and Topos at the same time. The only thing I could figure was to have two SD cards. The one that is not in use is stored in a small bison tube that is tied to the 60's lanyard.

Would be nice to have both on one card though.

Have you read your manual? Page 45? Covers what was said in posts 2 and 8 in this thread.

MapSetupMenu2.jpg

MapSetupMenu.jpg

A quick glance at your profile tells me you're in Canada.

Toss the cracked topo maps, and proceed directly to Ibycus Topo 4.0. These are top-notch topo maps for all of Canada, they're absolutely free and therefore unlocked, and they install seamlessly into MapSource.

I passed along the info you posted to my son. He e-mailed to let me know this was exactly what he's been looking for. I've not heard if he's actually downloaded it as yet but he sounded quite positive. Thank you for the information.

I never could figure out how to run CN and Topos at the same time. The only thing I could figure was to have two SD cards. The one that is not in use is stored in a small bison tube that is tied to the 60's lanyard.

Would be nice to have both on one card though.

Have you read your manual? Page 45? Covers what was said in posts 2 and 8 in this thread.

MapSetupMenu2.jpg

MapSetupMenu.jpg

I am well aware of how to change mapsets using the method you posted. The problem on my side is that my CN is on an SD card. My topos are the free ones from GPSfiledepot. I cannot move my CN maps to Mapsource. That would allow me to cut a blend of CN and the topos to send to the 60csx. My only option is have two separate SD cards.

The problem on my side is that my CN is on an SD card. My topos are the free ones from GPSfiledepot. I cannot move my CN maps to Mapsource. That would allow me to cut a blend of CN and the topos to send to the 60csx. My only option is have two separate SD cards.

That is the restriction of having a mapset on a pre-recorded SD card.

I am well aware of how to change mapsets using the method you posted. The problem on my side is that my CN is on an SD card. My topos are the free ones from GPSfiledepot. I cannot move my CN maps to Mapsource. That would allow me to cut a blend of CN and the topos to send to the 60csx. My only option is have two separate SD cards.

Use GmapTool to combine the two gmapsupp.img files.