Forgot to "place" new travelbug TB2743C

michel&marije

Hi There!

I've got an issue with a new travlbug I wanted to send out into the wide world over one year ago. I'm pretty sure I placed the bug in a cache, however I never logged this, so the bug still shows as 'in the hands of the owner' I have no idea in which cache I dropped the Bug or where it might be right now. I assume that, if someone took the bug, he or she can't log it, becouse it is still in my posession.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to get this bug 'back on the road'? I was thinking, if I pretend to drop the bug in a cache, the one who really has it can retrieve it from this cache. Providing this person knows it is now placed in a cache, thus retrievable...

I could just call this bug missing, but it might not be missing, and want to give the bug and its current owner a chance to travel on.

Thanks for your replies!

Michel & Marije

If somebody finds it, there is a log type to "grab" it from you. If they are an experienced geocacher, hopefully they will "dip" the TB in the cache that they found it in so it's history will be correct. And YOU are the TB owner--that doesn't change unless you adopt it over to another cacher. (Not sure if "adopt" is the proper term.) Other geocachers are supposed to pick it up and move it to other caches, but you remain the owner.

Hi

If you did physically place the TB into a cache then anyone who finds it can use the tracking number on the tag to get to your bug's home page. From there they can click to log it - One of the log options is "grab it from current holder: michel&marije".

I see you activated the TB in July 2009. If it was placed into a cache over a year ago I would have expected someone to have found it and logged it by now... it should be on its travels.

As there's been no movement at all I think either it's been taken from a cache by someone who didn't recognise it as being a TB and they've kept it or perhaps you never actually placed it into a cache. Are you sure it's not sitting in the bottom of your sock drawer... or somewhere? :huh:

MrsB

Hi There!

I've got an issue with a new travlbug I wanted to send out into the wide world over one year ago. I'm pretty sure I placed the bug in a cache, however I never logged this, so the bug still shows as 'in the hands of the owner' I have no idea in which cache I dropped the Bug or where it might be right now. I assume that, if someone took the bug, he or she can't log it, becouse it is still in my posession.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to get this bug 'back on the road'? I was thinking, if I pretend to drop the bug in a cache, the one who really has it can retrieve it from this cache. Providing this person knows it is now placed in a cache, thus retrievable...

I could just call this bug missing, but it might not be missing, and want to give the bug and its current owner a chance to travel on.

Thanks for your replies!

Michel & Marije

We are with Mrs.B on this one....

From the OP (bolded and underlined), I am going to hazard a guess that you never did place it. Over the years, I have found that when people think about what they did a year ago -- especially not being able to remember other details -- typically means they didn't do it at all!

Not to throw stones at you -- but I am giving "euros to donuts" that you have it in a drawer somewhere.

EDIT to add: You have logged a total of 27 caches, not so many (I don't think) that you couldn't remember where you would have placed your very first TB (when is a different story, and immaterial)!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Hi

If you did physically place the TB into a cache then anyone who finds it can use the tracking number on the tag to get to your bug's home page. From there they can click to log it - One of the log options is "grab it from current holder: michel&marije".

I see you activated the TB in July 2009. If it was placed into a cache over a year ago I would have expected someone to have found it and logged it by now... it should be on its travels.

As there's been no movement at all I think either it's been taken from a cache by someone who didn't recognise it as being a TB and they've kept it or perhaps you never actually placed it into a cache. Are you sure it's not sitting in the bottom of your sock drawer... or somewhere? :huh:

MrsB

Thanks for the reply!

I already checked my sock dawer several times (and all other places I keep geocaching stuff), but no trace of the Bug. But if it is possible for someone who finds the Bug to log or 'grab' it, also when I'm the one currently having it in posession, I would have expected someone to do so by now, so you're probably right that te bug is still somewhere, on the bottom of something....

Thanks again and I will keep searching.

Hi

MrsB

Thanks for the reply!

I already checked my sock dawer several times (and all other places I keep geocaching stuff), but no trace of the Bug. But if it is possible for someone who finds the Bug to log or 'grab' it, also when I'm the one currently having it in posession, I would have expected someone to do so by now, so you're probably right that te bug is still somewhere, on the bottom of something....

Thanks again and I will keep searching.

As it's been "missing" for over a year you could release a replacement for it. I guess if you can't find the original TB at home you probably don't have the duplicate TB tag either? :huh:

You can still release another TB by re-using the tracking number (which you'll see on the TB home page). You can choose another item, make up a TB tag with the tracking number on it and make sure you add "Trackable at geocaching.com". I suggest doing it on card and laminating it for protection. You can change all the details including the TB name and mission. Make sure the new tag is firmly attached to the new bug and drop it into a cache to start its travels.

If, later on, the original TB is found somewhere you'll have to withdraw one or the other of them as there must only be one TB in circulation for each tracking number.

MrsB