Good container for a large cache?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OmbvAmHBik

I was at a flea market yesterday and saw Lincoln Logs being sold for $10, obviously I could care less about the logs. But, the container looked great. I want to hide this as a large cache, however I'm not sure if it is big enough to be considered a large cache. Also, I am not sure if it will hold up to the elements, or where to actually put a cache this big.

Any suggestions/comments?

If it is as large as I think it is, wouldn't that be a "medium"? As a "small" can hold some items, but not many, & a "regular" is about the size of an ammo can..which can hold more things than the lincoln log container... Can we get a picture of the container with something beside it showing the size scale, if it turns out to be waterproof? (Like an ammo can! ;) )

From what I could see in your video, I'd say that it is not a good container, regardless of size. I didn't see a gasket along the edge of the lid, and the lid appears to be made out of pretty brittle plastic. I think the only thing you could accomplish with that is to make a giant Petrie dish. Maybe you could try an ammo can instead?

From what I could see in your video, I'd say that it is not a good container, regardless of size. I didn't see a gasket along the edge of the lid, and the lid appears to be made out of pretty brittle plastic. I think the only thing you could accomplish with that is to make a giant Petrie dish. Maybe you could try an ammo can instead?

Where can I get an ammo can THAT big for under $30?

Check this thread out. http://www.wsgaonline.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=641

Someone thought a 120mm Ammo Can for $15 dollars was steep.

Using the film can as a size reference, your Lincoln Log case didn't seem to have much more volume than a 50 calibre ammo can. Try this as a test: Fill that thing with film cans, (or guess, if you don't have that many handy), and see how many it will hold and still close. When I create a CITO cache, stuffed with film cans containing grocery bags, I get just about a hundred in a 50 cal.

If you want one even bigger, keep hitting the gun shows.

There are gobs of websites that will sell you big ones, but shipping is cost prohibitive.

The best container for a large cache is the generic 5-gallon bucket. You can get them free at places like McDonald's, they get pickles in such containers. Or, since it doesn't need to be food-grade, you can get one from a commercial painter. They throw out lots of them.

Don't use the lid that comes with the bucket, though. They are too hard to remove and eventually someone will crack it when trying to get it off, or not put it back on properly. Instead, invest a couple of bucks in a gamma lid.

Instead, invest a couple of bucks in a gamma lid.

Gamma lids are pretty awesome! I've had a night cache/paddle cache/maze thingy in the works for quite a while, pending an appropriate hiding spot. Since the maze is all mangrove tunnels, in a salt water estuary, I needed a container that can stand up to high moisture conditions, high UV exposure and salt. I chose the old reliable 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma lid. My plan is to place a paving stone in the bucket, and put a 50 calibre ammo can on that. I decided to go with a horizontal placement for the bucket, after hearing some comments about Gamma lids in here. The part of the lid that screws off is a bit lower than the part of the lid that remains affixed to the bucket. The triangular depressions in the lid retain water, and that water gets displaced when the lid is unscrewed. Often, that water ends up right in the bucket.

In a perfect world, finders would tip the bucket, draining off any water, before opening the lid, but I prefer to plan ahead.

Edit: I see at least one correction is in order. I just went to the linked website, and I see that US Plastics has addressed the concern of the insert being lower that the base. Kudos!

Edited by Clan Riffster

For what I've seen in the field (6 months of soak in Oregon, 6 months of snow in Minnesota, etc), the cheap containers are...cheap. They don't do a good job. Good containers cost more, and do a better job. That means less maintenance for you, and more enjoyment of finding a big, well-stocked cache that has a dry log for all of the cachers who seek it.

Edited by NeverSummer

Not a large, not a good container for the elements. I agree with CR, I don't see a gasket of any type, and the plastic on the lid seems easily breakable.

I bought a double tall .50 cal ammo can at our local army surplus store for less than 15$. Keep looking. The other thing to consider about a large cache is location. They're more difficult to camo, so the hide has to be in a spot that isn't likely to get muggled. Those spots are a little bit fewer and father in between than for smaller caches.

Instead, invest a couple of bucks in a gamma lid.

Gamma lids are pretty awesome! I've had a night cache/paddle cache/maze thingy in the works for quite a while, pending an appropriate hiding spot. Since the maze is all mangrove tunnels, in a salt water estuary, I needed a container that can stand up to high moisture conditions, high UV exposure and salt. I chose the old reliable 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma lid. My plan is to place a paving stone in the bucket, and put a 50 calibre ammo can on that. I decided to go with a horizontal placement for the bucket, after hearing some comments about Gamma lids in here. The part of the lid that screws off is a bit lower than the part of the lid that remains affixed to the bucket. The triangular depressions in the lid retain water, and that water gets displaced when the lid is unscrewed. Often, that water ends up right in the bucket.

In a perfect world, finders would tip the bucket, draining off any water, before opening the lid, but I prefer to plan ahead.

Edit: I see at least one correction is in order. I just went to the linked website, and I see that US Plastics has addressed the concern of the insert being lower that the base. Kudos!

Side note: Woah! Those are cool! Learn something new everyday...

Thanks for posting that Riffster

What about a mailbox?

Does anyone make a waterproof mailbox? :unsure:

Does anyone make a waterproof mailbox that's as big as a 5-gallon bucket, or bigger?

I think a mailbox will be a leaky regular size cache, not a large cache.

I'm assuming these keep water out! Let's steal one! :)

http://image.w00t.com/Squ7gV0-dFP9EfH3TsHyqoTbD6I_?Expires=1309973933&Signature=TGiVgt5aLc4oZEtl7V18Uw3OEpvBQ4zNXJX6u6S8dCzs2IeeVlnMtLEYE~LshiWgyRE4CiWmI9raN5XRdNc7hGRmQtbEXsCNt19woc~CzL5PD65RjsdyOXX~HcDbcTp7iXWOo1hvRF4PWY13uPN2KfZFoJe0IDkSh91Awa7tnHY_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIHX2P6GWWRFXYETQ

Edited by d+n.s