A Royal cache visit

Well, not quite - but Prince Charles was soo close to one of my caches today, that's only been in place for a week, that I was able to take a spoiler hint picture with both the cache location and H.R.H. in the picture!

I chatted to one of the many police who were there afterwords and he told me that the entire area had been cleared of any suspicious packages by detailed ground search and sniffer dogs that morning... but on inspection the cache was still there literally 2 metres from where he boarded his car! I'm glad it wasn't one of the ammo cans I bought last year - they stank of explosives and I'm sure a sniffer dog would have been alerted.

To be honest they may well have found it and left it in place knowing what it was - its clearly marked both externally and internally as a Geocache and all at the farm and its adjacent shop are aware of it being there, being a family run business.

I would hope that the trained search teams employed to pre-check locations for royal visits are aware of Geocaches by now.

I had no idea about the Royal visit until I arrived there for lunch this afternoon - the heavy police presence and cordoned off car park was a give away that something wasn't quite normal...

Would have been great if one of the Boys in Blue had signed the log! (Or even HRH himself!) :D

He does like his impromptu walkabouts. There's an old building our local community would chip in to help have it open to the public in the summer. (Just sit at a table taking a small entrance fee and providing a visitor book and information). He dropped in totally unannounced one Saturday. First his driver went in to check it would be alright and then he had a quick look around himself, then they drove on. The couple on the door were thrilled, and knew enough about the architecture to be able to relax and enjoy the visit. B)

Would have been great if one of the Boys in Blue had signed the log! (Or even HRH himself!) :D

He does like his impromptu walkabouts. There's an old building our local community would chip in to help have it open to the public in the summer. (Just sit at a table taking a small entrance fee and providing a visitor book and information). He dropped in totally unannounced one Saturday. First his driver went in to check it would be alright and then he had a quick look around himself, then they drove on. The couple on the door were thrilled, and knew enough about the architecture to be able to relax and enjoy the visit. B)

Apparently they sometimes do sign the log book because they come across caches regularly often while doing security sweeps. It looks to me like it had been examined but then replaced because all the stones around it had been moved and recently. Also, the land owner is well aware of the cache's existence since I only put it there last week and showed them exactly where it was hidden.

It seems this was a planned visit but one kept (reasonably) quiet - my mum heard about it in the hair dressers this morning before we met up at ground zero! Plus, the entire Watkins family, the owners of the location where the cache is placed were there to meet H.R.H. Prince Charles and Camilla have been touring dairy themed locations not too far from their residence near Llandovery yesterday and today. ITV were there to cover it but I wasn't in any of the footage.

I like the guy... Talking to trees and all that... And nice to see him not announcing all of his excursions to the world. Sure, some planning is needed due to his position, and so family and friends, and local telly, tend to find out... But he's not out there trying to sell himselfike the Hollywood "Royalty" and the Beckhams of this world.

Think i may be in the minority who will be happy to be his subject once he's crowned.

I like the guy... Talking to trees and all that... And nice to see him not announcing all of his excursions to the world. Sure, some planning is needed due to his position, and so family and friends, and local telly, tend to find out... But he's not out there trying to sell himselfike the Hollywood "Royalty" and the Beckhams of this world.

Think i may be in the minority who will be happy to be his subject once he's crowned.

never trust someone who talks to plants! :laughing:

never trust someone who talks to plants! :laughing:

I've spoken to some real plants and pondlife over the years... Though they liked to be called managers! No need to trust him, his role is going to be mainly symbolic, but he will speak his mind on issues I care about, mainly the environment. Could be fun as the combination of outspoken monarch and mass media availability has never happened... His role IMO will be to have a dig at the politicians.

Of course, this is what he's done all his life - but he did genuinely seem to enjoy talking to people and asking them quite detailed questions about what they did and spoke to every single member of the Watkins family, of which there were quite a number there today, from toddlers to grandmothers!

It was all a bit of a surprise to me to be honest - I just went there for lunch with my mum as I often do if I have time. If you'd have told me this morning I'd have "almost met" (as in being within 2 metres) of Prince Charles, I'd have laughed - though he does have a Welsh home not too far away in Llwynywernog, near Llandovery.