Bomb scare Wetherby over internet treasure hunt box

It's all very well that they want people to let the police know but unless they are going to create an official link with the website it won't become a reality. Maybe if they are aware of the game then a quick check on the website looking at the location of the suspicious package would show up if it is a cache or not.

Neither this nor writing 'Contents Harmless' or 'Geocache' on the outside are a solution because anyone can do that, bombers too!

Using sense and being very open if challenged is the best defense. But will it happen again? Probably!

More worrying is the fact that you can get a caution due to playing a game and trying to enjoy yourself!

(Oh, and I never had a Geocaching Coach either :tired: Seems I missed out!)

Edited by Bambography

I caught the 6:50 (ish) piece then had to leave for work, I'll have to catch the later piece on iPlayer.

IMO this was the most reasonable and balanced piece of reportage I've seen on this episode so far, they put both the Police and the cacher's (via Deci) point of view and I think it will have gone some way to persuade the Police to reconsider their initial knee-jerk reaction that all caches near the A1 must be removed.

Some good points from Deci, hopefully things can move forward now, how about someone hosting an event at Karen's cafe and she could recoup some of the money she lost by being closed for half a day?

Anyone know if the reporter "Danny Savage" is Dysonquest, who posted on here looking for someone to interview?

Just seen the BBC coverage of this. I don't think it presented geocaching in a very positive light. Ironic that a few weeks ago they were running a story on geocaching with presenter and gang of smiling kids happily caching and placing their own BBC cache, stressing what a great family activity it was.

I thought the comment by the police that it would be helpful if cachers sent them the location of their cache, picture etc was a bit odd - what would they do with them all?? It was disappointing that after all this the policeman interviewed seemed to have no knowledge they could just look online and see all of them anyway.

At least it has raised awareness of geocaching within the police and security forces i guess.

Does anyone know what the wires could have been ?? Thats the only thing thats thrown me because ive never come across a cache with wires in (in my vast experience of caching for the last 4 month)

The cache was a box covered in black tape with a Geocache label on the top.... The box fitted tightly under the planter.... The cache owner had ties attached to help with retrieval ..... so if you looked from the side... from a distance... all they would see is a box with 'wires' coming from it

Well seeing the street which the cache was placed......id wonder why it was there ?? Did it relate in some way to the Cafe of the textile place.....Just wondering if the Terrain was 1 star and difficulty was 5 ?????

Uuuuber stealth required !!!

Difficulty was 2.5 and terrain 1 here's the description;

Town centre cache - non-micro!

0.5l Klik box. I've attached a cable-tie loop for ease of extraction and replacement.

This is right in the town centre, in one of the oldest streets in Wetherby. The street was originally a butchers market; one butchers shop remains.

This really is Muggle Central. You will have to either use all your stealth abilities or come at an unusual time to avoid this being muggled, particularly as it is a normal cache (not a micro) and it takes a bit of twisting to get!

The muggle potential is why it has a difficulty of 2.5; without the muggles, I think this would be relatively easy to find and get.

Thursdays (market day) and the second Sunday morning in the month (farmers market) would make this location particularly muggley.

I scouted out this area in the middle of the night, but managed to place the cache in the middle of a sunny afternoon, so it can be done.

Whilst you can get right up to this cache in a wheelchair, you have to have considerable flexibility to retrieve or place it if you're a wheelchair user, or have an assistant. (I am a wheelchair user.)

Initial contents:

:- logbook, pencil, geocaching sheet

:- Bouncing Putty

:- Finger ring

:- Bouncy Ball

:- Mini Yoyo

:- Mini Slinky

:- Mini Slide Puzzle

When returning this cache, please be careful to hide it properly, especially try to make it not conspicous from a distance - what looks like well hidden up close actually isn't always from up the street.

Enjoy

Does anyone know what the wires could have been ?? Thats the only thing thats thrown me because ive never come across a cache with wires in (in my vast experience of caching for the last 4 month)

The cache was a box covered in black tape with a Geocache label on the top.... The box fitted tightly under the planter.... The cache owner had ties attached to help with retrieval ..... so if you looked from the side... from a distance... all they would see is a box with 'wires' coming from it

However, the BBC Article has now mentioned that the planter was removed, exposing the cache; therefore the big green Geocache sticker was clearly on display.

It's likely at that point they had already had the bomb disposal robot ready to go, so went ahead anyway. A complete waste of public money.

However, the BBC Article has now mentioned that the planter was removed, exposing the cache; therefore the big green Geocache sticker was clearly on display.

It's likely at that point they had already had the bomb disposal robot ready to go, so went ahead anyway. A complete waste of public money.

I am very surprised that they lifted the planter off a suspect device as it could have had a pressure switch.. that's why they have the robot to 'disrupt' it before they have to go anywhere near the device

From the BBC article:

"It was a busy day and customers in the cafe had to leave. There should be distinctive markings on these types of boxes."

From the Guidelines for placing caches:

Label your geocache. To avoid confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label it as a "geocache" on the outside of the container.

Yup, we reviewers keep banging on about the guidelines but this is why.

Errrr...

8372904c-bbeb-4178-b8a7-f7352d7a3946.jpg

Couldn't be MUCH clearer!

Camo graphics and pseudo military fonts like that don't make it look at all harmless I think, if you didn't know the word geocache already it looks a bit alarmist don't you think? Remember, 'people' are stupid!! Clear boxes are the way, you can see it's just full of kiddie junk then :)

Unless it was replaced upside down !

I think the main feature here that led to all this was tha fact that it was totally wrapped in black tape, if it had been left au-naturel as a clear plastic lunchbox they would have immediately seen (even without removing the planter) that it was just full of tat.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Over 20 minutes of filming (in the car park of the BBC's Manchester Studio :laughing:) spread over 5 questions. And the cut me down to the one point where I stuttered :anicute:

The UK/Ireland Reviewers working closely with the GAGB and Groundspeak, are working on creating a process to disseminate information about Geocaching through all levels of all Police forces in the UK. This will take time to put the package together, so that there is no extended cost to our monetary restricted Police Forces. Plus time to allow for initial contact and for that contact to be firmed up.

What has happened, is not being ignored, and we are trying to move things forward in a way which has minimal impact for both the Geocaching Community and also the Police Service who have a extremely impossible job to do, one being made harder daily by having funding reduced.

Oh and on arriving back home from Manchester, I ended up doing a recorded interview with BBC Radio Humberside :anicute:. I don't know when that will be broadcast, but was informed it will be available on the net. So hopefully someone will get a copy of another example of me making a pratt of myself :laughing: and post it to You Tube, especially as I know that Colin would like to add a link in his next UKGCPodcacast :laughing:

Deci :anicute:

PS: at the start of filming on camera I was asked to identify myself. I stated I was Dave Palmer, Deceangi Volunteer UK Reviewer Geocaching.com, which is owned by Groundspeak. So where they got "Geocaching Coach" from is beyond me. Honestly :laughing:

PS: at the start of filming on camera I was asked to identify myself. I stated I was Dave Palmer, Deceangi Volunteer UK Reviewer Geocaching.com, which is owned by Groundspeak. So where they got "Geocaching Coach" from is beyond me. Honestly :laughing:

Hehehehe, you gotta love journalists! Maybe you could become a "Geocaching Coach"..... I'm not sure what that would entail..... but I'm envisioning Coaching qualifications, courses..... lol :laughing:

So where they got "Geocaching Coach" from is beyond me. Honestly :laughing:

I've got this vision of Deci leading a team of newbies through the looking for caches.

"You've got 30 seconds to sign the log, do the swaps and rehide the cache"

"You call that a fair swap?!!! get down and give me 20"

"You call that hidden? A blind monkey could see it from a mile away, 5 circuits of the woods carrying a full ammo box above your heads"

So where they got "Geocaching Coach" from is beyond me. Honestly :laughing:

I've got this vision of Deci leading a team of newbies through the looking for caches.

"You've got 30 seconds to sign the log, do the swaps and rehide the cache"

"You call that a fair swap?!!! get down and give me 20"

"You call that hidden? A blind monkey could see it from a mile away, 5 circuits of the woods carrying a full ammo box above your heads"

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It sounds funny to us; but actually I think "Geocaching Coach" is a reasonable description. They needed something that the general public would understand. A coach is someone who guides and helps others in doing something; which is what the reviewers do (at least in terms of hiding caches).

Funnily enough a part on the editing suit floor, in reply to being asked if information about Geocaching is being disseminated enough, was me mentioning the fact that at the weekend I had acted as Walk Leader (came as a surprise, as I got a request for help on Wednesday. And went to provide support) for Conwy Walking Week's Introduction to Geocaching, which had around 20 muggles attending. That was up at the Sychnant *Pass

As for "546 finds" well I'm guessing it is over 600, if I ever catch up with logging finds, from Perth, Oxford, Sale and several other occasions :laughing:. Mind you it can take me 2 years or more to log a find or 3 :laughing:

But if you want prolific, my Published Logs page takes several minutes to load :yikes: I'm working hard to reach 40,000 :yikes: hopefully by the Welsh mega, if not before I will cross the magic line just after it :laughing: I was considering giving the Lucky Owner of my 40,000th published cache a little gift, a Gold Deci Geocoin. To be presented at the Mega If I do break the barrier beforehand, or a follow up event if not.

Deci

* oh and Synchant is pronounced Suchnant not Sicknant as one Radio reporter called it :laughing:

Very good piece on BBC Breakfast this morning which was surprisingly sympathetic to geocaching; well done to all those involved.

Good communications with law enforcement and the bomb squad seems to be the key lesson; although I'm sure the bomb squad made use of the experience for a bit of practice.

The bit that was overlooked was how the initial incident started and the police's reaction to the unfortunate finder. What caused the cafe owner to report them? I am interested to know if this cacher has acquired any form of criminal record and if they have perhaps this should be contested, I for one would be prepared to donate to such a cause.

Interesting case.

Regards

MrA

Having seen the news item this morning and got a better picture of the location it appears that the nature of this cache was a major contributory factor to the problem. It's no good accusing the police of lacking common sense when a bit of thought by the CO could have prevented the problem from our end. If caches are going to be placed in urban areas they need to be placed in a manner and location that allows then to be easily and unobtrusively picked up and replaced.

I've seen some excellent urban hides but this one was just asking for trouble IMO.

The two logs by Newstead862 made me laugh, what a contradiction. :lol:

Interesting.

Newstead862

Cache Found/logged 1 July 2011

It's a 'phone only' user...

Out of interest, what exactly is wrong with that ?

I, and countless others, use my phone as primary device (albeit I do use the website very regularly too)... indeed I don't have a GPSr - why spend the ££ on that when I have a device that functions perfectly well ?

I read that as if it was said with a tone of distain ? Please, correct me if this was not the intention... but the suggestion that 'phone cachers' are in some way inferior bothers me.

I also don't see how that bears any relevance whatsoever to this unfortunate incident.

Chris.

Danny Savage who provided the report from Wetherby also appeared in a feature on Radio Humberside at 8.40 this morning. Deceangi also gave a good dscription of what it is all about (without stutter!) and the reporter went out and found a cache and is now a registered geocacher.

The link to the Humberside feature on BBC iPlayer is http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00hlvwl/Andy_Comforts_Breakfast_Show_06_07_2011/ and it is about 2 hrs 40 min into the broadcast (Andy Comfort) - perhaps someone cleverer than I might put this onto YouTube as well.

I knew it was coming as the compiler emailed me yesterday morning as I have a virtual in Hull (Going in Deep) but I did not get back to her in time before the recording had been made. Perhaps as well as Dave made an excellent contribution.

This whole incident and the coverage it has attracted shows just how much more mainstream geocaching is becoming. I thought both broadcasts were positive towards the game.

Out of interest, what exactly is wrong with that ?

I resisted mentioning it at the time but now that you have, I wondered the same thing. I also couldn't figure out where this information had come from. Maybe it's because I'm a 'phone only' cacher that I was too thick to work it out.

I am really surprised by the way this has been handled by West Yorkshire Police and the paranoid knee jerk repsponse of requests for cache removal along the route of the A1. Over the years I have been stopped by Police officers several times in and around Leeds (who are part of the same force !) As soon as you say 'I'm geocaching, It's like a modern day treasure hunt using a GPS', the PC's normally already know what it is and depart to let you go about your buisiness. I was even quizzed by Homeland Security whilst searching for a cache in Washington DC and as soon as I said Geocaching everything was fine and friendly and he got back in his car and let me find the cache in peace ..