Bomb scare Wetherby over internet treasure hunt box

Oh...who was that sexy bloke I just saw on the telly?? :o:unsure:

You get about a bit lad!! :lol:;)

Oi, hands off!!! I saw him first! After his recent headline grabbing TV appearance, I've decided to become agent for 'Coach Palmer' as you all now have to call him. I've also identified some spare time that he has each week (between 4am and 4.45am) that he's kept quiet about. If anyone would like to book Coach Palmer, drop me an e-mail. He's available for birthdays, weddings, Bar Mitzvah's and 'Special' ladies nights. (Cheap rates if you're a member of the GAGB).

There's also a slight problem with a double booking on 31st July. He won't now be going to the Mega as he's off to the Middle East to help solve their problems instead. I bet they will be more appreciative of his efforts than some others............

This may be out of place, but after reading the new posts to this topic I find I must give an answer to some comments.

Munrojk:- I think you are out of line on your comments about "honesty". It is common knowledge that reviewers have two accounts.

Deci:- Thank you for giving us an insight to what a reviewer does and how you can get "bogged down" with the work. Thank you for your time and patience (and that of your family) - and this also goes for all of the reviewers - so that we can enjoy this game. Keep it up.

Though it's arguable that the terrorists already won - they changed our way of life and caused people to live in fear of terror and make decisions based upon that.

Yep, they've won in Wetherby. There's no way I'm going to visit Wetherby or anywhere near the A1 around there, in case I get tempted to look for a geocache. Even if I'm not caching, who knows what I might be arrested for if I seem to be aimlessly looking around. What if someone sees me drop something with wires on it in a litter bin? Clearing up litter could then lead to arrest.

We don't even know what the poor cache seeker was charged with; considering he was proved to have been replacing a geocache in good faith, it's most worrying that the police still went ahead and charged him.

As a terrorist, you don't actually have to set off a bomb to have the required effect. If it causes people to have to make significant changes to their way of life, and to be constantly wary, then it serves as an excellent reminder that we're under threat. This niggling worry is exactly what the terrorist is hoping for.

By the way, anyone know why this cost the emergency services £35000? Is that what the bomb squad charges for a callout? Sounds a bit steep.

It is a sad reflection on the times we now live in that we have to turn down caches listed in certain locations. Schools or playgrounds because of the way the actions of geocachers near children may be perceived; caches close to airports and military establishments, even power stations because of the increased police and security patrols these locations have as a result of the terrorist threat. But that is how the game has changed and we need to adapt to the changes.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

(aka Chris of The Blorenges)

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

All the same, unless there's more to this story than we've heard so far, I'm well surprised that the Police went as far as a caution. As others have said, the cacher was engaging in a legal activity and not actually causing any nuisance at all.

I agree with the bolded part. Who knows what else there might be that the media is spinning or ignoring?

Someone on one of the multitude of discussions suggested that they were aware of other contributory factors which were not being made public.

By the way, anyone know why this cost the emergency services £35000? Is that what the bomb squad charges for a callout? Sounds a bit steep.

I'm always very suspicious of the figures that are bandied about in situations like this. The police and army are being paid anyway regardless of whether they're doing this or something else. The cost an accountant works out based on hourly rates and the use of kit, etc might come up to this figure, but I doubt much, if any, actual money changes hands anywhere.

I'm always very suspicious of the figures that are bandied about in situations like this. The police and army are being paid anyway regardless of whether they're doing this or something else. The cost an accountant works out based on hourly rates and the use of kit, etc might come up to this figure, but I doubt much, if any, actual money changes hands anywhere.

I suggest they send the bill to Ayman al-Zawahiri, care of Al-Qaeda.

J

Will the document be sent to every police force in the UK? If not please could I request a copy and I will pass it on to Sussex Police.

Yes, GAGB is handling the contact with other Police Forces. After discussion with Reviewers today about the processes needed to deal with incidents in the future, we'll be contacting Police Forces to put a standard approach in place.

Dave

(Chairman, GAGB)

Thanks Dave

I suggest they send the bill to Ayman al-Zawahiri, care of Al-Qaeda.

J

That's a bit of a controversial name for a caching account......where are their other hides?

It was an over reaction by the authorities. I wasn't sure until I spoke to a close associate who was a security professional for HMG until recently.

Does your close associate have access to the full details of what triggered the incident to escalate the way it did? Because the Police have not revealed any details, nor have they revealed the details of the person cautioned or the reason why. There could be underlying reasoning behind the incident being escalating, did the person detained by the Police, claim that it was a Bomb? In which case the Police would be required to escalate despite there being a risk that the person was being unreasonable. The advice given is always to fully and openly explain what your doing and explain about the basics of Geocaching if challenged. This has worked on numerous occasions within the UK. So did your close associate have access to what the person stated to the police? The more contact there is with the Police over this incident, the more doubt there are about it just being a overreaction. Until all the details are full revealed, we will be left to imagine the reasoning behind what happened.

What I do know is that the incident has created ripples to other Police Forces, which we are working to resolve. And also within the Geocaching Community, not just in the UK. I've had several members contact me, concerned that by going Geocaching, their risking a Police Caution, so putting their Careers at risk.

In each case I have hopefully reassured them, and I take the time to point out that One of the UK Reviewers is a serving Police Officer, in a high profile posting. One who would lose his posting at least on receiving a Caution. Yet he is happy to continue going Geocaching, including on his way to and from work. And he is based in London.

Please if you are challenged by the Police or a member of the Public, be Open and Honest about what you are doing, explain the basics of Geocaching if the Officers have not heard of it. They might shake their heads, and mutter about "nutters" as your walking away. Bit the highest chance is there will not be any further action taken. There have been incidents of Officers actually helping to search for the container. Other incidents of Officers on discovering a container have signed the log book.

We have had members challenged by the Metropolitan Police, a member challenged by Police 20 miles from a Major Airport. Because the cache was under the Flight Path, the person being reported by a member of the Public, who was in the Airport Watch scheme. We have had members challenged by the British Nuclear Police, the cache location at a historic feature over a mile away from the Nuclear Power Station. Not a single member received a Police Caution over these

Deci

whilst others often asked "why terrorists would attack our town, there is nothing here?"

today, after such big terrorist attacks, people are highly suspicious, and it really is a case of better safe than sorry.

Another couple of things to bear in mind when considering the Police/Army response is that Wetherby is near Catterick, a large army garrison; and we were coming up to the anniversary of the 07/07 London bombings so everyone would be on high alert in case there was another attack given the recent demise of Bin-Laden.

It's nowhere near! 40 miles away!

Well, for the record I still like urban caching, and so does my son. In fact, its more fun with kids who can retrieve it for you without people getting suspicious - just tell them where you think its lurking and send them in :) I've cached alone to grab some pretty muggle-heavy caches in London, Oxford and Manchester too, and briefly in Berlin amongst others. Its all part of the game - if you're shy or nervous hook up with some experienced cachers for the day and see how they do it.

I like the idea of a cache event in her cafe, but reading her views on caching I'm actually wondering if she would let you! If you do, then get the local press involved as a 'damage limitation exercise', and of course to spread the word about our hobby that is Geocaching. If it wasn't so far away from me I would attend...

Yes I like urban caching too, the fun is the stealth part. If they were all tupperware boxes off a footpath at the base of a tree, covered by rocks, we would soon get bored. I like the variety. And...57 other people had found this cache without anyone in the cafe noticing. Maybe the cache finder needed more practice before trying such a high muggle area!

It was an over reaction by the authorities. I wasn't sure until I spoke to a close associate who was a security professional for HMG until recently.
Does your close associate have access to the full details of what triggered the incident to escalate the way it did? Because the Police have not revealed any details, nor have they revealed the details of the person cautioned or the reason why. There could be underlying reasoning behind the incident being escalating, did the person detained by the Police, claim that it was a Bomb? In which case the Police would be required to escalate despite there being a risk that the person was being unreasonable. The advice given is always to fully and openly explain what your doing and explain about the basics of Geocaching if challenged. This has worked on numerous occasions within the UK. So did your close associate have access to what the person stated to the police? The more contact there is with the Police over this incident, the more doubt there are about it just being a overreaction. Until all the details are full revealed, we will be left to imagine the reasoning behind what happened.What I do know is that the incident has created ripples to other Police Forces, which we are working to resolve. And also within the Geocaching Community, not just in the UK. I've had several members contact me, concerned that by going Geocaching, their risking a Police Caution, so putting their Careers at risk. In each case I have hopefully reassured them, and I take the time to point out that One of the UK Reviewers is a serving Police Officer, in a high profile posting. One who would lose his posting at least on receiving a Caution. Yet he is happy to continue going Geocaching, including on his way to and from work. And he is based in London.Please if you are challenged by the Police or a member of the Public, be Open and Honest about what you are doing, explain the basics of Geocaching if the Officers have not heard of it. They might shake their heads, and mutter about "nutters" as your walking away. Bit the highest chance is there will not be any further action taken. There have been incidents of Officers actually helping to search for the container. Other incidents of Officers on discovering a container have signed the log book.We have had members challenged by the Metropolitan Police, a member challenged by Police 20 miles from a Major Airport. Because the cache was under the Flight Path, the person being reported by a member of the Public, who was in the Airport Watch scheme. We have had members challenged by the British Nuclear Police, the cache location at a historic feature over a mile away from the Nuclear Power Station. Not a single member received a Police Caution over theseDeci

This actually happened to me on March 6 this year. I was just re-hiding a cache when PC Plod came up behind me. To post a bigger picture it was on a bridge over the railway where the Eurostar trains run. High risk area? But my post can be read here http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7cb1872c-b27c-4b11-b031-4a6c4b66a2cb&log=y&decrypt= The cache was vanishing act GC2JDGM. The policeman went away happy that i was up to no trouble, and i don't care what they thought of me.

On a positive note ............

Headlines hit Dundee HERE

A spokeswoman for Tayside Police said the force had not received any complaints about geocaching to date, but she added, "We would ask people to be mindful of where they place items."

Nice of them to mention the Mega, and how much was bought in to the local economy! :)

This actually happened to me on March 6 this year. I was just re-hiding a cache when PC Plod came up behind me. To post a bigger picture it was on a bridge over the railway where the Eurostar trains run. High risk area? But my post can be read here http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7cb1872c-b27c-4b11-b031-4a6c4b66a2cb&log=y&decrypt= The cache was vanishing act GC2JDGM. The policeman went away happy that i was up to no trouble, and i don't care what they thought of me.

Probably just making sure you weren't going to jump...

Will the document be sent to every police force in the UK? If not please could I request a copy and I will pass it on to Sussex Police.

Yes, GAGB is handling the contact with other Police Forces. After discussion with Reviewers today about the processes needed to deal with incidents in the future, we'll be contacting Police Forces to put a standard approach in place.

Dave

(Chairman, GAGB)

I've opened discussions today with ACPO (The Association of Chief Police Officers) and they were very receptive. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've been watching this story from afar as we moved to Switzerland last year so aren't actually in the UK any more. However I thought it might add another perspective... I'm a British 'phone cacher' but have found caches in several countries now including in central London (including just off Whitehall), Berlin (an ammo box), Chicago, Barcelona.... The whole Wetherby story makes me laugh, cringe, and worry about my next cache in equal parts...

I wondered if GAGB have ever thought about involving politicians in this whole process? I'm a political lobbyist and (before I moved to Switzerland) cached whilst attending the political party conferences (now that's security gone crazy but still no problems with the caches) and talked about caching to a few friends who are MPs/MEPs/Lords. We could hold an event at Parliament, with the support of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Rambling perhaps, invite senior police officers from all the Forces (who would turn an invite to an event at Parliament down?) and explain about caching. We could even take them to find the cache that's only 5 mins from Parliament. It needn't cost a lot to do and we could even turn it into an event cache and make them all join geocaching.com!

Just a thought and I'm happy to help if I can...

Bunny

PS Deci I thought your interview on the BBC was great and thanks to all the reviewers for their hard work.

I've been watching this story from afar as we moved to Switzerland last year so aren't actually in the UK any more. However I thought it might add another perspective... I'm a British 'phone cacher' but have found caches in several countries now including in central London (including just off Whitehall), Berlin (an ammo box), Chicago, Barcelona.... The whole Wetherby story makes me laugh, cringe, and worry about my next cache in equal parts...

I wondered if GAGB have ever thought about involving politicians in this whole process? I'm a political lobbyist and (before I moved to Switzerland) cached whilst attending the political party conferences (now that's security gone crazy but still no problems with the caches) and talked about caching to a few friends who are MPs/MEPs/Lords. We could hold an event at Parliament, with the support of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Rambling perhaps, invite senior police officers from all the Forces (who would turn an invite to an event at Parliament down?) and explain about caching. We could even take them to find the cache that's only 5 mins from Parliament. It needn't cost a lot to do and we could even turn it into an event cache and make them all join geocaching.com!

Just a thought and I'm happy to help if I can...

Bunny

PS Deci I thought your interview on the BBC was great and thanks to all the reviewers for their hard work.

Interesting idea, thanks. You have mail :D

(I'm sure there must be a good nearby virtual cache they could try out :rolleyes: )

Edited by The Wombles

I've read with much interest. I don't feel comfortable searching for urban caches a lot of the time... And when I think about it, if I'm uncomfortable with it, so are the people who can see me up to something.

I've yet to find an urban cache in an interesting place to be honest, so maybe I'm biased and need to find a decent one. A pub that appeared in a comedy show, a non league football club, a premier league club stadium in one of the most otherwise boring bits of Manchester. Why are they there? Because they could be placed there... Do they arouse suspicion? Yes. Are they fun to find... Yes, if you are the kind of person who likes watching paint dry, they're really exciting caches.

I feel all 3 of the caches I referred to are actually in places where an offset/multi would be a more enjoyable experience, as have been lots of the other boring urban caches that I have found.

I don't get it either... I don't feel the need to plant a cache at the bottom of every tree... But it seems every piece of urban street furniture is the perfect place for a magnet. If the police push caches out of the towns, I won't exactly be upset.

Why don't you just not do them then?

For what it's worth, Solly's comments along with some others here have had me wetting myself laughing tonight. :):lol:

I've read with much interest. I don't feel comfortable searching for urban caches a lot of the time... And when I think about it, if I'm uncomfortable with it, so are the people who can see me up to something.

I've yet to find an urban cache in an interesting place to be honest, so maybe I'm biased and need to find a decent one. A pub that appeared in a comedy show, a non league football club, a premier league club stadium in one of the most otherwise boring bits of Manchester. Why are they there? Because they could be placed there... Do they arouse suspicion? Yes. Are they fun to find... Yes, if you are the kind of person who likes watching paint dry, they're really exciting caches.

I feel all 3 of the caches I referred to are actually in places where an offset/multi would be a more enjoyable experience, as have been lots of the other boring urban caches that I have found.

I don't get it either... I don't feel the need to plant a cache at the bottom of every tree... But it seems every piece of urban street furniture is the perfect place for a magnet. If the police push caches out of the towns, I won't exactly be upset.

Why don't you just not do them then?

For what it's worth, Solly's comments along with some others here have had me wetting myself laughing tonight. :):lol:

I do indeed now just not do them... But they're not easy to filter out sometimes. So, the ignore list grows, and het there's still an ever growing number of them out there.

Well I for one will not be letting this nonsense stop me at all.

Am off to London today to see take that later which means I can fit in some caching in the big smoke beforehand. Much as getting out in the countryside is fun the variety of looking in an urban environment makes things more interesting for me.

After 300 caches am getting a little tired of just looking in trees for caches which is where 99% of rural ones seem to be hidden ;)

When I found my first cache last month a police man called at me to come away from the item in question (dont want to give to much of a clue)and to stop what I was doing (filling in the log). He was concerned I was defacing (vandalising) but a quick flash of the cache and an explanation he let me return the item but still didnt seem too pleased. I've become completely paranoid since them and end up aborting my search every time anyone is in the vicinity. As I live in London I'm not going to get much caching done till I get stealthier and braver !

Someone further up the post did say that the cops in London are pretty much sound about people caching in the city! I think it all depends on weather you get a copper whos willing to listen to your explination or one whos completly on a power trip and just wants to show you whos boss!!!!!

Going back to the first or second page - i think it would be a good idea if we could create a little card that we could carry that would explain what we are doing hanging around....also i think it would be a good idea to place this website on there aswell then if the curiosity gets the better of the coppers then maybe they could even start caching themselves..........But then if you saw a copper "placing sum tupperware" under a planter...how long would it be before someone called the bomb squad ???? :blink:

Stooopid spelling mistakes :mad:

Edited by jady1987

Someone further up the post did say that the cops in London are pretty much sound about people caching in the city! I think it all depends on weather you get a copper whos willing to listen to your explination or one whos completly on a power trip and just wants to show you whos boss!!!!!

Going back to the first or second page - i think it would be a good idea if we could create a little card that we could carry that would explain what we are doing hanging around....also i think it would be a good idea to place this website on there aswell then if the curiosity gets the better of the coppers then maybe they could even start caching themselves..........But then if you saw a copper "placing sum tupperware" under a planter...how long would it be before someone called the bomb squad ???? :blink:

Stooopid spelling mistakes :mad:

Well hopefully after this event, and with thanks to Deci's help plus the media attention, ALL Polis are being/have already been made aware of Geocaching.

Not all are on a power trip though, and yes, some Polis are already cachers, In fact some have also hidden a lot of caches!

Edited by perth pathfinders

Someone further up the post did say that the cops in London are pretty much sound about people caching in the city!

I found This Cache near Waterloo station, London, today. In it was a sheet from a Metropolitan Police notebook with a note saying "Found by Booksey & Tigger, The Met". This is the second cache I've seen in London which had been found by Met officers who had left a note from their notebook, so they're pretty cool with caching I reckon.

We are totally disgusted by the over-reaction of the Police in this case. We are a family of Geocachers who have rapidly grown to love this innocent and healthy activity.

If the guy who was arrested and allegedly given a police caution is identifiable or reads this post, my husband is a lawyer with his own law firm and they specialise in Human Rights cases and abuses of executive power. If the young man in question would like some free advice on challenging his arrest and detention, and the subsequent police caution by way of judicial review, then he should contact him... He would be more than happy to look at the case and has in-house counsel who is a human rights expert who will be happy to advise on the merits of a claim against W.Yorkshire Police on a pro-Bono basis. If the guy would like to take my husband up on this offer, he should email him at cmilligan@birdandco.co.uk.

This case stinks. It is appalling that this young man's character and future career prospects have been permanently jeopardised by an over reaction from he Police.

Due to the recent Bomb scare in Wetherby we are introducing a new cache guideline for caches placed in Urban locations. This has been developed in dialogue between GAGB committee and Reviewers and has been introduced with immediate effect. The text is here:

“Urban caches should be placed to minimise the chance of security alerts. It is essential that micros and larger are marked externally as a geocache with the relevant listing site reference (eg: GCxxxxxx, OKxxxxxx or OXxxxxxx). Containers larger than 35mm containers should have clear sides to enable inspection without opening. Cache pages must contain the following wording: This cache meets the GAGB Urban Placement Guidelines”

Marking caches externally with their reference number will enable Police Officers to check on caches through a query process which is being disseminated to UK Police Forces, and should be done on all caches bigger than a nano. Clear sides will allow the contents of caches to be checked without opening that cache, so should also minimise the chances of bomb scares.

The new guideline can be accessed here and we hope that this will be adopted quickly so that we can demonstrate a positive response to recent events.

The new guideline can be accessed here

Dave

GAGB Chairman

Caching as "The Wombles"

Edited by GAGB committee

Due to the recent Bomb scare in Wetherby we are introducing a new cache guideline for caches placed in Urban locations. This has been developed in dialogue between GAGB committee and Reviewers and has been introduced with immediate effect. The text is here:

“Urban caches should be placed to minimise the chance of security alerts. It is essential that micros and larger are marked externally as a geocache with the relevant listing site reference (eg: GCxxxxxx, OXxxxxxx or OCxxxxxx). Containers larger than 35mm containers should have clear sides to enable inspection without opening. Cache pages must contain the following wording: This cache meets the GAGB Urban Placement Guidelines”

Marking caches externally with their reference number will enable Police Officers to check on caches through a query process which is being disseminated to UK Police Forces, and should be done on all caches bigger than a nano. Clear sides will allow the contents of caches to be checked without opening that cache, so should also minimise the chances of bomb scares.

The new guideline can be accessed here and we hope that this will be adopted quickly so that we can demonstrate a positive response to recent events.

Dave

GAGB Chairman

Caching as "The Wombles"

As this is a brand new GAGB UK guideline, may I suggest that it's worth starting it off in a brand new topic so that it can be easily found in this forum in the future?

At the moment it risks disappearing into the middle of this rather long topic thread.

MrsB :)

Edited to add: Also, the link to the new guideline isn't linking atm.

Edited by The Blorenges

Excellent; however there exists the ever present problem of how to get this message out there to

a.) Existing cachers who don't frequent forums and community sites.

b.) New cachers.

Have the GAGB considered approaching Groundspeak to ask them to run a feature on "security issues" in a future weekly mailing?

Edited by Jaz666

Excellent; however there exists the ever present problem of how to get this message out there to

a.) Existing cachers who don't frequent forums and community sites.

b.) New cachers.

Have the GAGB considered approaching Groundspeak to ask them to run a feature on "security issues" in a future weekly mailing?

Good idea, thanks

Dave

As this is a brand new GAGB UK guideline, may I suggest that it's worth starting it off in a brand new topic so that it can be easily found in this forum in the future?

At the moment it risks disappearing into the middle of this rather long topic thread.

MrsB :)

Edited to add: Also, the link to the new guideline isn't linking atm.

Deci beat me to the new topic! Link fixed, thanks.

Dave

You can have all the guidelines you like but they ain't going to make a difference. Is anyone going to go back and find thousands of clear containers? Of course not. What can you see without opening it? It won't stop the over reaction of mrs miggins and pc plod if they get the red mist and chance of a dull afternoon in wetherby hitting the headlines. They thought they saw wires but there were none. We just have to accept that there are people out there with little common sense who will confuse the neighbours cat with an escaped panther, believe aliens exist and write to the council about it. Leave the common sense to the geocachers. After all this represents a micro percent of all the geocaching activity. That's why it was such big news.... Well in wetherby anyway!

“Urban caches should be placed to minimise the chance of security alerts. It is essential that micros and larger are marked externally as a geocache with the relevant listing site reference (eg: GCxxxxxx, OKxxxxxx or OXxxxxxx). Containers larger than 35mm containers should have clear sides to enable inspection without opening. Cache pages must contain the following wording: This cache meets the GAGB Urban Placement Guidelines”

Dave

GAGB Chairman

Caching as "The Wombles"

This may be out of place, but after reading the new posts to this topic I find I must give an answer to some comments.

Munrojk:- I think you are out of line on your comments about "honesty". It is common knowledge that reviewers have two accounts.

Deci:- Thank you for giving us an insight to what a reviewer does and how you can get "bogged down" with the work. Thank you for your time and patience (and that of your family) - and this also goes for all of the reviewers - so that we can enjoy this game. Keep it up.

Sorry I didnt know. Must be the same common knowledge that we have about geocaching that the police and population of wetherby don't? All I saw was someone with 17 caches who described themselves as a reviewer. I concentrate on the caching and not the discussion boards

You are right a guideline will not stop this kind of thing happening. Not all listing sites would take any notice and then there are letterboxes. It does however give the police forces who have contacted the GAGB and the Groundspeak some reassurance that it is not just being ignored. There are other ways it is being dealt with as well. With luck once these are done there should be little impact on the pass time.

You can have all the guidelines you like but they ain't going to make a difference. Is anyone going to go back and find thousands of clear containers? Of course not. What can you see without opening it? It won't stop the over reaction of mrs miggins and pc plod if they get the red mist and chance of a dull afternoon in wetherby hitting the headlines. They thought they saw wires but there were none. We just have to accept that there are people out there with little common sense who will confuse the neighbours cat with an escaped panther, believe aliens exist and write to the council about it. Leave the common sense to the geocachers. After all this represents a micro percent of all the geocaching activity. That's why it was such big news.... Well in wetherby anyway!

Dave

GAGB Chairman

Caching as "The Wombles"