Who Qualifies

Well put, it just surprises me that there are that many people with an OCD related to geocaching. :P

This game appears to appeal to the OCD in many of us (myself included, I freely admit). After all, a summary of geocaching is : Run all over the place. hunt for something holding a strip of paper. Sign it and then log it online. Repeat. And many of us are very interested in the statistics : counties, states, countries, souvenirs, cache types, and of course, streaks.

Holy crap Scuba, we are working on your double century right now. I tell the missus that you got this going now, she will kill me (shortly after I suggest we can pull it off).

You will find once you get that far along on a daily caching streak it is very hard to "Let it Go" when it only takes 1 more to keep it going, at least for me it was, and in our area finding another cache is not a problem with the amount coming out just a little South of us. Keep it going I know you can......

SS

I stopped my streak at 409 days because I found myself starting to get burnt out on doing it. It started to seem to be more of a "have to do" rather than a "want to do" activity and was taking away from the fun of geocaching. I mean, isn't walking through a wet and muddy park in the dark, slipping on the mud in a driving rainstorm to find a bison tube on tree fun? Or driving through 6 inches of snow to a 1/1 cache only to find it missing?? I could have kept going, but the desire wasn't there for me. But I know several others in our area who do have the drive and are still keeping their streak alive. We have caches for 101, 200, 300,400 and 409 days in our area. Now there's the 1095 day cache. I guess I should have kept going.......NAW!!! No desire to go slip slidding away down into some blackberry bushes in the dark. I'm sure that someone will get this one sooner or later.....

Hey Rich Understood but for me it is still fun so till it feels a differant way I will hang in there with SPAZ going like he is I can never clean up your side of the River so it's all good.

Scubasonic

I thought there was a reviewer criteria for challenge caches where there had to be a reasonable chance of the challenge being met. I guess that has gone the way of "no power caches".

Hey Dogman,

Wait till you see my next CHALLENGE cache it will be that you will have to have at least 1500 FTFs to be able to log the cache. Of course I will have to attain this goal myself before I would be comfortable submitting it, but I am only I think 10 away from this goal.....I will be sure to post it here so you guys can do what you do best, which is go back and forth about it, micro-define it, till you run it into the ground. :signalviolin::signalviolin::drama:

Scubasonic

I thought there was a reviewer criteria for challenge caches where there had to be a reasonable chance of the challenge being met. I guess that has gone the way of "no power caches".

Hey Dogman,

Wait till you see my next CHALLENGE cache it will be that you will have to have at least 1500 FTFs to be able to log the cache. Of course I will have to attain this goal myself before I would be comfortable submitting it, but I am only I think 10 away from this goal.....I will be sure to post it here so you guys can do what you do best, which is go back and forth about it, micro-define it, till you run it into the ground. :signalviolin::signalviolin::drama:

Scubasonic

:mmraspberry:

Hey Dogman,

Scubasonic

BTW how was my punctuation, grammar etc..........really trying to work on that.

Edited by Scubasonic

well, it shows GS will publish almost anything as long as the CO has done it before. Do not know a single cacher in WA besides yourself who qualifies. Celtic Cacher does not even I think. I quit at 400. Most folks I know quit around 500 who went up to a year.

Will get your 400 day streak challenge one of these days but I want to get the 200 one the same day but that 200 one requires a little bit of time and to have no friends with you who do not qualify.

well, it shows GS will publish almost anything as long as the CO has done it before. Do not know a single cacher in WA besides yourself who qualifies. Celtic Cacher does not even I think. I quit at 400. Most folks I know quit around 500 who went up to a year.

Will get your 400 day streak challenge one of these days but I want to get the 200 one the same day but that 200 one requires a little bit of time and to have no friends with you who do not qualify.

My 200 is pretty hard, just make sure you look at Google maps and walk yourself to GZ with coordinates. Hope to see your post on my cache very soon.....

Scubasonic

Hey Dogman,

Scubasonic

I wasn't the one to poke fun at your punctuation and grammar. I did point out the obvious "YOUR" instead of "YOU'RE" once it was mentioned, but in general, I'm sure you will find that I'm not the grammar police. Nevertheless, its good that you are working on that. It is a sure sign of maturity.

Hey Dogman,

Scubasonic

I wasn't the one to poke fun at your punctuation and grammar. I did point out the obvious "YOUR" instead of "YOU'RE" once it was mentioned, but in general, I'm sure you will find that I'm not the grammar police. Nevertheless, its good that you are working on that. It is a sure sign of maturity.

Did you have to say that, now I'm going to have to stop

SS

My 200 is pretty hard, just make sure you look at Google maps and walk yourself to GZ with coordinates. Hope to see your post on my cache very soon.....

Scubasonic

have wanted to do it a few times and have talked to you about it, but you can imagine, not many cachers would want to go with me on that trek who do not qualify. Some day though.

Walk yourself, I think a hovercraft would be preferable! Unfortunately, mine is in the shop for a good while.

meh, we're 40 days short of 365 and it wasn't even remotely as bad as some made it sound

when you use geocaching to unwind after work is actually a breeze, i am quite sure, unless some unforeseen terrible things happen, that we could keep going past the 365 days

That's awesome. Did you find that it helped working as a team. I know that my finds go way up when I am caching with others regularly. In some families it is one person with the desire to cache, much less having such a tricky goal like this.

well we do work as a team, which is the family, but we have separate accounts

luckily we both enjoy geocaching so it definitely helped to make it easier, i can't imagine having to complete this challenge "on the side"

Edited by t4e
For those that are new to geocaching... please understand that many of us... indeed, possibly most of us... are in this because of the places it can take us to or the clever ways of hiding caches that we sometimes see. But there are a few that couldn't care less about those things. To them, it is a race. Not that there is anything wrong with that... but you do need to understand that this isn't about the race or the streak or the numbers for many of us, and it does not need to be that for you, either.

For some, it is All About The Numbers. For some, there is definitely OCD involved.

But I think honestly maintaining a streak is an interesting challenge in and of itself, especially a streak that long. Even moreso to do that and have it still be fun without feeling like a chore.

I did a streak of about a month then let it lapse not because I couldn't keep going but because after getting the remaining close caches I decieded it wasn't worth spending the gas to drive 10 miles round trip for a random smiley.

If you have enough hides in your area, a streak could be done as an exercise goal: bike or jog to the nearest cache to your home, find it, return. Each day your workout gets a little longer. I want to try something like this next time I move.

There is a cacher in my area who has had at least one find per day since July 16, 2003. As of today, that is a 2,906 day streak. So the challenge is clearly attainable. Just sounds miserable to me.

Me too. Everyone I know who has set out to do a cache a day for an extended time tells me they quit because it became a job instead of fun. Those who can take on a challenge and complete it no matter what, however, have my admiration! :D

kablooey's last day without a find was July 15, 2003. I guess he qualifies. I never will.

Man I can't believe how many days straight he has, that is fantastic. What would be even cooler is if he got the FTF on my cache. Hey there is $20 bucks in it for him..... :laughing:

SS

Scubasonic

have wanted to do it a few times and have talked to you about it, but you can imagine, not many cachers would want to go with me on that trek who do not qualify. Some day though.

Walk yourself, I think a hovercraft would be preferable! Unfortunately, mine is in the shop for a good while.

I've done his 200 cache, and it really wasn't that bad, all things considered. It wasn't a walk in the park, but I would do it before the mosquitoes came out and after the rains have stopped. When I did it, I had to get through a gaggle of paintballers who were nice enough to declare me a neutral and let me through w/o a white flag. But I agree with SS, you need to look at the satellite picture and keep that in mind. Some folks went this year, and hip waders would have been appropriate. But it's worth the rating that it has.

I agree with this. FTF challenges don't get published (usually, anyway).

What about this one GC2FE93

I was just looking at the guidelines on this the other day so I would have thought that cache would not be publishable:

"An individual's attempt to complete a challenge should be independent of the actions of other cachers. A challenge is supposed to recognize the completion of an achievement, rather than the winner of a competition. For example, a challenge based on "First to Finds" is dependent on the actions of other cachers, is a competition, and cannot be verified, so would likely not be published."

I guess the key word is "likely" :blink:

This is nuts. Those caches are driving people to cheat IMO. Not saying that people MUST cheat to accomplish it, but there will always be some who want it by any means ...

Which caches are you referring to that are tempting people into cheating? I guess I'm not sure what you are saying.

I don't see this. But if they did, how would that effect you?

Doesn´t effect me at all, I even don´t care, I even don´t live on the same continent. I just post my few on things here. I´m just participating here because I had a few discussions recently about people who may log a find online without having been at the cache at all. Seemed to be a pretty serious disrespect of the rules and effecting qite much people here. So I just added one on one ...

As I can´t imagine that any body could go out caching every single day during 3 years without getting ill or being prevented for any other reason I would think, and that´s only my personal non offensive sight of things, that someone will cheat somehow at some point to not let the streak cut. Especially on day 1038 or so ... On the other hand, in some areas in the US it seems that there are plenty of park and grab caches in relativly small areas so one maybe could cache five years one cache every day without even leaving his car more than a stone throw. But as I said bevor, just imagine getting ill on day 1038 of this streak working towards that cache. Just a stone throw away from finish line. What would you do? Start another three year odyssey to get it? Again, I wouldn´t care about it, but maybe someone who want´s that cache desperatly, too ...

To be honest, I´d be dead bored if I had to cache 1095 days in a row. Sounds more like a job or a curse to me ... But, well, that´s just another of my opinions, I like to share on a platform for sharing opionions ...

Which caches are you referring to that are tempting people into cheating? I guess I'm not sure what you are saying.

I´m talking about those streak caches. I thought, this 1095-day-streak was the topic here ... Thoughts on it can be found above. AND IT´S JUST AN OPINION ...

I can´t imagine that any body could go out caching every single day during 3 years without getting ill or being prevented for any other reason I would think, and that´s only my personal non offensive sight of things, that someone will cheat somehow at some point to not let the streak cut. Especially on day 1038 or so ...

Well I am fortunate to live in a pretty cache rich environment in fact just today there were 10 new caches published less than 10 miles from where I live, and that happens almost everyday. So holding a Daily caching streak is not to much trouble. I try to leave the caches in my direct area (about 2-6 miles away)unfound so if I need one in a pinch they are there for the finding. Really not to much trouble at all, but I can see how it would be for others with less opportunities.

Scubasonic

I´m talking about those streak caches. I thought, this 1095-day-streak was the topic here ... Thoughts on it can be found above. AND IT´S JUST AN OPINION ...

Ahh, I see the confusion. There is no such thing as a "streak cache" (you are possibly thinking of power trails?) A cache streak just means that you go out somewhere and find a cache every day. There are no special caches set up for that purpose. Any cache will do, as long as you find one.

Ahh, I see the confusion. There is no such thing as a "streak cache" (you are possibly thinking of power trails?) A cache streak just means that you go out somewhere and find a cache every day. There are no special caches set up for that purpose. Any cache will do, as long as you find one.

At the risk of coming off as irritating, that's actually how this whole thread started (a special cache set up for that purpose):

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=277157&view=findpost&p=4761113

Edited by addisonbr

At the risk of coming off as irritating, that's actually how this whole thread started (a special cache set up for that purpose):

http://forums.Ground...dpost&p=4761113

Oh... gotcha. The streak challenge cache. I don't believe for a second, though, that anybody will do a streak of 1095 days simply so they can claim that challenge cache. They would be doing it for the streak alone. The challenge cache would simply be frosting on their cake.

Oh... gotcha. The streak challenge cache. I don't believe for a second, though, that anybody will do a streak of 1095 days simply so they can claim that challenge cache. They would be doing it for the streak alone. The challenge cache would simply be frosting on their cake.

I would have to agree with you on that.

Scubasonic

When someone wondered just how some of these people go years without breaking their streak, I am surprised that no one pointed out that just because someone finds 10 caches in a day and signs all of the logs, who says they have to post it online on that day? If you just sign the log without the date, how can someone prove just when you were there if you added one find a day to stretch those out over 10 days? There's a few extra for when they are sick, busy, or for whatever reason cannot get out to cache. Food for thought.

Honestly though, I doubt few people actually do that, as that's quite a bit of work for something most of these people are doing for themselves. My hat's off to their dedication.

Agreed. Also don't see how the presence of this challenge cache is "driving people to cheat". I'm not sure how a cache drives anybody to do anything or exactly what would be cheating in this context.

When someone wondered just how some of these people go years without breaking their streak, I am surprised that no one pointed out that just because someone finds 10 caches in a day and signs all of the logs, who says they have to post it online on that day? If you just sign the log without the date, how can someone prove just when you were there if you added one find a day to stretch those out over 10 days? There's a few extra for when they are sick, busy, or for whatever reason cannot get out to cache. Food for thought.

Honestly though, I doubt few people actually do that, as that's quite a bit of work for something most of these people are doing for themselves. My hat's off to their dedication.

I can only speak for my puny 100 day streak which I did just to log a challenge cache. I did not fudge any found on dates, despite some significant obstacles on a few of them like root canal, a minor surgical procedure and a funeral. And AFAIK the two NC cachers who are having the 1600 day staring contest haven't faked any dates either. I do know that one of them has made finds at 12:01 AM, and 11:59 PM to keep it going.

But there will always be posters in the forums who accuse others of cheating, and cachers who prove them right. <_<

Edited by wimseyguy
I do know that one of them has made finds at 12:01 AM, and 11:59 PM to keep it going.

Interesting. If I found a cache at 1:00am, having stayed up until then, it would never dawn on me to consider that the following day. It doesn't bother me how other people score it, I just never would have thought about it that way. (Now having thought about it, I'd still score it the same/earlier day, but that may just be my own quirk.)

How did that get approved. I thought the owner or at least five or more cachers would have to be able to qualify at the time it went live? or am I mistaken. Well we know who will do anything to qualify.

Hi Jealous,

I did qualified when it published as well as many others that have emailed me.

Scubasonic

I can only speak for my puny 100 day streak which I did just to log a challenge cache. I did not fudge any found on dates, despite some significant obstacles on a few of them like root canal, a minor surgical procedure and a funeral. And AFAIK the two NC cachers who are having the 1600 day staring contest haven't faked any dates either. I do know that one of them has made finds at 12:01 AM, and 11:59 PM to keep it going.

But there will always be posters in the forums who accuse others of cheating, and cachers who prove them right. <_<

I'm not accusing anyone of cheating, just noting a possibility. It wasn't directed at anyone, and, if you took it as such given your subsequent explanation, that was not my intention.

But there will always be posters in the forums who accuse others of making accusations, and posters who point out that it was only a point of discussion. <_<

kablooey's last day without a find was July 15, 2003. I guess he qualifies. I never will.

Man I can't believe how many days straight he has, that is fantastic. What would be even cooler is if he got the FTF on my cache. Hey there is $20 bucks in it for him..... :laughing:

SS

Any chance you would consider making it a non-premium member cache?

SS

Any chance you would consider making it a non-premium member cache?

afraid not I am a firm believer in supporting the site, $30 a year IMO is a small price to pay to use the resources that GS has provided. said resources don't come free, I do realize that GS makes money on other Geocaching related items but this is my way of hopefully getting Non-premium members to pay up.

Well kablooey as much as I would like you to get this cache, if you can't spring for a PM well than I guess you'll have to pass on this one.

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

The thing I would add to this argument unless someone has already done so, is in caching with all the things out there you should never be able to qualify for all caches. That is what adds to the fun. While some people might be able to reach certain things there are certain things they should not qualify. I also noticed that some are about the numbers some are about the places and some are about the challenges. Even some of the top 10 cachers and there numbers don't have all the D/T's yet. I even noticed one cacher who has multiple cacher of the year doesnt have over a 1000 caches. I played Warcraft for about 2 years and there were tons of things to do and see yet few could say they saw them all. In caching there is no way to see it all. There is always another great cache to check out. I would never even think about trying for the three year straight but I can see how some would.

I see this as possible! I have not been into this long but I work all over. I'm trying not to find all of the ones in my area so I can go grab one on a Sunday. I work 6 days a week most of the time in all different areas. Then on my days off I usually drive off somewhere to go fishing. Plenty of caching opportunitys. I don't know if I will do that many days in a row but I can see it as possible. If I did miss a day so be it. I would never cheat. I play this game with my daughter.

-WarNinjas