Nudist geocachers

On 7/3/2020 at 12:37 AM, jmf38 said:

Two new caches found today July 2nd while naked. Without a pen, I signed with a little blood from a scratch. Photo of the GC7Z4FA cache.

I might be overly sensitive (and I'm not a germ phobe, trust me) but I find contaminating a log with your blood (on purpose) to be a bit off.... why not just photo-log it??

• Upvote 5
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, lee737 said:

I might be overly sensitive (and I'm not a germ phobe, trust me) but I find contaminating a log with your blood (on purpose) to be a bit off.... why not just photo-log it??

There are other less queasy pen-substitutes that can be readily found in the field, such as charcoal, twigs, gum-nuts, even some stones will leave a decent mark on paper. Or just tuck a pencil behind your ear like the tradesmen do:

image.png.d364a37a35065089ddbf9352dddcdc04.png

• Upvote 3

Does remind me of a story.  Long ago when I was living in a different city, "my" caching mecca (this was in the early aughts, mind you, so not so many everywhere) was the Sam Houston National Forest.  It was a bit of a drive - maybe an hour - for me.  On top of that, I'm in Texas and this was the summer (and despite my distaste for heat I still seemed to primarily cache in the summer.)   So I got up early as I could and tried to get out there early.  Not super duper early - around 8 ish when I hit the trail.  Park and enter the trailhead of the one leading to my targeted cache.  Understand, SHNF has over 100 miles of trails.  It is 160,000+ acres.  And, for the most part, it is just boring.  No real attractions other than a lake.  But I wasn't near the lake.  Wouldn't be that unusual to see no one on my ventures.  In fact I don't think I ever ran in to anyone on the trails except once or twice and that was near the trailheads or something.  Anyhow, I'm making my way on the trail and the spiderwebs across the trail tell me no one has come this way since last night.  But less than 500 feet in to my journey I see something that really freaks me out.  On the side of the trail is a NEATLY stacked jogging suit with the jogging shoes on top.  Despite the season, there was a small amount of dew on the surrounding vegetation.  This stuff had no dew on it.  I could tell it had been put there recently but how recent?  I was carefully eyeing the surrounding vegetation (which might even be called semi-tropical. This place was near Houston.)  I was really worried about at the very least some very awkward confrontation.  Or maybe a dead body.  Or possibly an assault from a deranged person.  I did press on.  They had to have come from the other direction.  After putting some distance behind me I could relax a bit but after that I started carrying a "camp knife," which was like a mix between a Bowie and a small machete. when going out there. 

• Upvote 1
On 7/25/2020 at 12:52 AM, lee737 said:

A photo log is not a find according to the guidelines even if some people think it's ok. Maybe blood is not the best idea (though have done it before as well), but it's a valid log at least.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

I don't understand the reasoning to geocache naked? In my area, you would be arrested for indecent exposure. But why would anyone want to be naked when geocaching? Aren't there naked communities and beaches for this hobby? After my husband suffered from a serious case of poison ivy that needed medical help and I had a couple of ticks...why expose yourself to these dangers? And I certainly wouldn't want to meet up with a naked geocacher in the woods. Geocaching Headquarters has many regulations, why not bar geocaching naked? It, in my opinion, demeans the sport and will cause many towns to ban geocaching all together. 

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 3
  • Surprised 1
58 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

I don't understand the reasoning to geocache naked? In my area, you would be arrested for indecent exposure. But why would anyone want to be naked when geocaching? Aren't there naked communities and beaches for this hobby? After my husband suffered from a serious case of poison ivy that needed medical help and I had a couple of ticks...why expose yourself to these dangers? And I certainly wouldn't want to meet up with a naked geocacher in the woods. Geocaching Headquarters has many regulations, why not bar geocaching naked? It, in my opinion, demeans the sport and will cause many towns to ban geocaching all together. 

Caching is a global game, not just something that's played where you live. I understand public nudity is legal in Germany and around where I llve in Australia there are several official nude beaches and many more unofficial ones. There's also plenty of isolated countryside where you're very unlikely to bump into anyone else, especially once you get off-track which is where many of our higher terrain caches are. There's also no poison ivy in this country and, with no Lyme disease, ticks are mostly just a nuisance for adult humans (young children and pets are a different story though as the paralysis tick can be problematic for them). All the ticks I've had have been under clothing which is where they like to go before latching on, so being nude could be beneficial (now that would be an interesting experiment for someone). Just don't try to climb any of our giant stinging trees (Dendrocnide excelsa).

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
14 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Caching is a global game, not just something that's played where you live. I understand public nudity is legal in Germany and around where I llve in Australia there are several official nude beaches and many more unofficial ones. There's also plenty of isolated countryside where you're very unlikely to bump into anyone else, especially once you get off-track which is where many of our higher terrain caches are. There's also no poison ivy in this country and, with no Lyme disease, ticks are mostly just a nuisance for adult humans (young children and pets are a different story though as the paralysis tick can be problematic for them). All the ticks I've had have been under clothing which is where they like to go before latching on, so being nude could be beneficial (now that would be an interesting experiment for someone). Just don't try to climb any of our giant stinging trees (Dendrocnide excelsa).

Good points, thanks!

19 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I understand public nudity is legal in Germany

Umm ... that's a somewhat misleading statement ;) . If I leave my house here in Munich nude, I'll probably run into trouble rather quickly. Because if someone feels offended by it (which is quite likely), they can call the police who will then ask me to either dress and/or leave the location. A fine is optional (and probably depends on my behavior). The offense is called "Belästigung der Allgemeinheit" = "Public harrassment".

However, it's no problem to walk naked in areas where I don't have to expect a lot of other persons, e.g. on a path in the woods. So non-urban nudist caching is basically legal here.

To be honest, I have done exactly one of my 19'000+ finds without any clothing ;) . It was in a small river, I hadn't brought waders or swimming trunks, and the place was in the countryside with no other humans anywhere.

• Funny 2
13 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

However, it's no problem to walk naked in areas where I don't have to expect a lot of other persons, e.g. on a path in the woods.

So non-urban nudist caching is basically legal here.

We'd bump into a couple every once in a while on the AT, and maybe a "what's hot now" thing, like the many kilt-wearers a few years ago. :)

If they're just walking by, it doesn't bug me. 

- Stop n wanna chat when I'm eating (happened...), and you can't get outta the area quick enough...

• Funny 1
20 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Good Friday is Nude Hiking day on the  AT.

:D

I thought Good Friday's usually in April.    Brrrr.    

I was told just today in an email that June 21 has been naked hiking day for years.  Checking, most sites say it's "unofficial"...   

You'd think our politicians would "get behind" this one.  :)

Why not? Nudity is a very big part of the way we live and enjoy life. Being naked in nature and feeling the sun and wind on our bodies is very enjoyable. Just the freedom from clothes is nice. Bugs, yep we get bit and pick ticks off when clothed or naked. Going nude has always been a part of life and we will continue to do so. Our nude caching adventures are out on Jeep trails, forest trails away from others.

We enjoy nude beaches, nude resorts and anytime we can be naked no matter where it is. We have never had a bad encounter with clothed people who might find us in those out of the way places.

Can you say you have had an arch to explore my yourself and be naked exploring it?

Ever find a private like inviting you for a swim but declined because of no bathing suit?

Hiking a trail and just wanting to be one in nature and feel the elements?

For us it is just fun to explore while nude because that is our way of life.

Try it you might like it.

We are lucky to be able to go to those remote locations to find our clothes free time. Geocaching and CO's do a very good job at hiding and showing caches in remote locations for us to enjoy.

Edited by NakedNHappyHunter
spelling
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

Highlights of our 4 month geocaching trip in 2020 all while naked

Finding our 11K cache

Finding an arch to explore

Finding a spire to enjoy

Doing part of a power run, we knew we would never finish it

Finding a FTF

Finding a FTF that was 2 years old

Finding a cache at a cabin built under a huge rock

Exploring redwoods and a stream

and many more nude adventures

• Funny 1

I was just thinking of this thread when I broke through too thin ice and got a soaked boot, sock, thermal base and trouser leg today. Though while at least caching barefoot would have saved me some uncomfortable moments today I don't think this is recommended at below freezing temperatures and with snow on the ground.

• Funny 1

If bad weather, mainly cold, snow or whatever makes you uncomfortable, is always a very good reason to wear clothes.  At over 14,000 feet I had found a cache on Mt Evans, CO while being naked. The wind was pretty bad and the few snow flurries made the find interesting. Sometimes the thrill of the hunt over powers.

We got an early start to naked caching this year with temps in the 70's and a new cache being published in a very remote location in the swamps. Going on a weekday and not seeing any other vehicles at the parking area gives you a pretty good idea no one is out there.  We had a very enjoyable naked day bicycle riding and then ditching our bikes to get to GZ.

We are working on ? caches in remote locations with the hopes of more au natural freedom time and see no problems that we won't be able to find them while naked. We have cached au natural in these areas previously with no problems.

Naked caching is not not everyone but we enjoy it very much and will continue to do it when the opportunities allow.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1