Garmin Etrex H user question

We popped down and bought the Etrex H from go outdoors, haven't switched it on yet, so we can take it back if it's not right, just reading through the manual, and I am confused about how you enter waypoints. My Pc hasn't got a serial port, so planning to just enter them manually, but the manual seem to be giving an option for marking a point where I am as a waypoint.

But what I will need to do, is put in the northings and westings of the cache, so I need to check if the etrex H will do that before I switch it on, and make it unreturnable ? Anyone used an Etrex H?

i am a etrex hcx and a previous gpsmap76 user...

you can get a USB to serial adapter from your local computer store that will allow you to sync your gps with a tool like gsak or easygps.

but to answer your question... whenever you mark a spot you can arrorw up to the field with the GPS coords and change it to the coords of the GC you're adding (it auto populates the field with your current location or the arrow's current location on the map). after you save the new waypoint with the GPS coords you put in manually, it adds the little point to the map for you to direct yourself too.

Edited by jermlac

Thank you for your help - I haven't bought the Etrex H cable to goto a serial port even, but I may do if I feel I need to connect it to the PC. Thanks for confirming I can add the cache co-ordinates manually and how to do it.

you can get a USB to serial adapter from your local computer store that will allow you to sync your gps with a tool like gsak or easygps.

but to answer your question... whenever you mark a spot you can arrorw up to the field with the GPS coords and change it to the coords of the GC you're adding (it auto populates the field with your current location or the arrow's current location on the map). after you save the new waypoint with the GPS coords you put in manually, it adds the little point to the map for you to direct yourself too.

Yes I know how to Mark a waypoint, I was just checking if there was a way of manually putting the co-ordinates of the cache in to make a new waypoint. But I see now, you mark where you are and then edit the co-ordinates to that of the cache and then save that as a new waypoint.

Will feel funny, using a gps, have been geocaching so far with an OS map

Check out the QuickStart that came with the unit. Marking waypoints is top of the list。

We popped down and bought the Etrex H from go outdoors, haven't switched it on yet, so we can take it back if it's not right, just reading through the manual, and I am confused about how you enter waypoints. My Pc hasn't got a serial port, so planning to just enter them manually, but the manual seem to be giving an option for marking a point where I am as a waypoint.

But what I will need to do, is put in the northings and westings of the cache, so I need to check if the etrex H will do that before I switch it on, and make it unreturnable ? Anyone used an Etrex H?

To do it by hand just hold in the enter button and edit the coords to the cache location and you are all set. This might be ok for a little while but you will soon tire of this method and want to do it via USB form the computer so you can transfer many caches at once. To do this you will want to get a USB cable. I purchased this one and it works great.