Etiquette on Needs Maintenance

Can anyone advise me on the etiquette on for needs maintenance in caches? A friend told me it was common courtesy to not actually put it in the cache logs, because that was "calling out" the CO, so that is what I have followed because I wouldn't want it done to me. Instead if I found it, log it as found and then note the condition it was in if necessary and if it was just an issue of a full log, add more paper, etc to hold it over until the CO could get to it.

Last week a friend and I went out and I emailed two CO and both were receptive to my emails and responded in a positive manner. I later went out and found a cache which was strewn here and yonder and the container looked like it had been run over with a lawn mower. When I emailed the CO, I got a short response about not emailing them directly because it was "unsolicited" and to just log it and they'd get to it "eventually."

Honestly, I was a bit taken aback by this because I was trying to give them a head's up, but am I going about it the wrong way? Should I not be emailing the CO directly and instead just submit a log and be done with it? I've never had an issue where someone has responded negatively, but again, I'm still fairly new at the game. I just try to do as I would like to have done to me, and if something I put effort into getting out there needs fixed, I would want to know directly so I can get to it.

Thanks folks!

Can anyone advise me on the etiquette on for needs maintenance in caches? A friend told me it was common courtesy to not actually put it in the cache logs, because that was "calling out" the CO, so that is what I have followed because I wouldn't want it done to me. Instead if I found it, log it as found and then note the condition it was in if necessary and if it was just an issue of a full log, add more paper, etc to hold it over until the CO could get to it.

Last week a friend and I went out and I emailed two CO and both were receptive to my emails and responded in a positive manner. I later went out and found a cache which was strewn here and yonder and the container looked like it had been run over with a lawn mower. When I emailed the CO, I got a short response about not emailing them directly because it was "unsolicited" and to just log it and they'd get to it "eventually."

Honestly, I was a bit taken aback by this because I was trying to give them a head's up, but am I going about it the wrong way? Should I not be emailing the CO directly and instead just submit a log and be done with it? I've never had an issue where someone has responded negatively, but again, I'm still fairly new at the game. I just try to do as I would like to have done to me, and if something I put effort into getting out there needs fixed, I would want to know directly so I can get to it.

Thanks folks!

Lot of different ways to play it. It's good that you're making an effort to alert the CO that there is an issue.

For myself, minor stuff I'll just include in the found log. More significant items, such as this busted container I'll usually file an NM. This is a courtesy not only for the CO but also for following cachers.

As for the CO's response...you can't please everybody, just try to do the right thing.

Can anyone advise me on the etiquette on for needs maintenance in caches? A friend told me it was common courtesy to not actually put it in the cache logs, because that was "calling out" the CO,

It's sad that people could think this.

NM isn't "calling out" anyone; it's sharing information. If the logbook in my ammo box gets wet, how am I supposed to know that if you don't tell me? And the appropriate way to tell me is with a Needs Maintenance log.

For myself, minor stuff I'll just include in the found log. More significant items, such as this busted container I'll usually file an NM. This is a courtesy not only for the CO but also for following cachers.

As for the CO's response...you can't please everybody, just try to do the right thing.

I'm along the same lines.

If the log is getting close to full, or slightly damp etc, note it in the Found log.

More serious, or if others have left notes in their Found logs, then it's Needs Maintenance.

I am basically on the same level with everyone else here. A friendly note in the log to say that the log is full or container had to be drained of water is appropriate I think. If the container is damaged or the log has accumulated mold spores, then a NM is appropriate. I want my caches staying around for a long while and I need the fellow cachers to tell me if I have missed something. Stuff happens, we deal.

Around here, NM is just a way to let the owner know that there is a problem that you weren't able to fix. If you can fix it yourself (e.g., add another log if the current one is full), then mention it in your Found It log and move on. But if you can't fix it (e.g., a broken container) and it's something the owner should take care of, then post a NM log.

But then again, I've never heard anyone around here talk about "calling out" someone else, either in a geocaching context or in any other context. So it may be a local thing.

I'm amazed this topic keeps surfacing.

Posting a Needs Maintenance log is a simple tool provided to help cachers notify owners that they need to take a look (for various reasons).

If the log wet? Cache damaged? 100+ feet from a hinted area? Logbook full? Post a Needs Maintenance.

Didn't find the cache? Can't find the cache? Post a DNF.

Long string of DNFs? Maybe post a NM, but only after your DNF log. Then think:

-Has the owner checked in recently?

-Is this an "easy" find? (obvious hint, very low difficulty, etc)

Then email the owner. And sure, post a NM log.

There is no reason to get all undie-bundled if a NM is posted on your page. There's no need to fear using the proper tools...properly. There is a great toolkit provided by Groundspeak to deal with caches. Found it, Did not find, Leave note, Needs Maintenance, Should be archived. But just like a mechanic, you need to use the right tool for the right job...and know how to use it. Don't know how? Ask!

That's why it's better to log the cache "needs maintenance." Right now, I don't know which of the three caches you logged last week was trashed, because you emailed the cache owner directly. If you had left a NM log, I'd know to not go look for that cache until it's fixed. (Or to go make the repair myself, if I was feeling generous.)

We found a cache that had been peed in. We cleaned it up as best we could, put everything that was contaminated in a ziplock and put a fresh log sheet in a seperate ziplock just in case other cachers came by before the CO could get to it. We logged the find (we signed the log we left), then followed it with a NM stating exactly why.

We don't want other cachers - especially those who cache with young kids as we sometimes do - coming across a contaminated cache. Cache owners and cache seekers need to work together to keep each other safe and keep the game fun for all.

Rule #1:

If you didn't witness the maintenance problem, don't log a NM.

Rule #2:

Failure to find a cache is not a maintenance problem.

Rule #3:

Rudeness in logs is generally unacceptable. This is particularly true about NM logs.

Rule #4:

Minor issues such as a full log book or a dead pen do not require a NM log.

Rule #5:

Missing trackables are not issues for NM logs.

There is a great toolkit provided by Groundspeak to deal with caches.

That's my leaning as well. Each log type is a tool in your toolbox. Many cache owners will appreciate the fact that you took the time to clarify which tool gets used when. As others have mentioned, if you encounter a trifling issue that you can fix on scene, just include what you did in your "Found It" log. If you encounter a significant issue, that you can't fix on scene, posting a "Needs Maintenance" log accomplishes three things; 1 ) It alerts the community that there may be something seriously wrong with a particular cache. These folks can then play closer attention to the cache page, to determine if they want to continue the hunt. 2 ) It lets the owner know that there is a problem with his cache that is beyond the scope of everyday, minor issues. 3 ) For those Reviewers who conduct regular sweeps of their area, this log type lets them know which cache owners are upholding their maintenance responsibilities i a timely manner. If they do a PQ for all caches in their area that have the Needs Maintenance attribute, then sort the results by date, they can easily address those caches that have had the attribute for an extended length of time. I know a couple people who own zillions of caches, who mention that they no longer read emails from "Found It" logs. If I talk about a maintenance issue in my find log for one of those caches, they'll never see it. They do claim to read the "NM" logs, but the gobs of their caches which get archived by a Reviewer due to them not correcting NM issues suggests otherwise. :ph34r:

Rule #1:

Rule #2:

Rule #3:

Rudeness in logs is generally unacceptable. This is particularly true about NM logs.

Rule #4:

Rule #5:

Wow - I actually fully agree with all these points!

Rule #1:

Rule #2:

Rule #3:

Rule #4:

Rule #5:

What he said.

Rule #1:

Rule #2:

Rule #3:

Rule #4:

Rule #5:

Wow - I actually fully agree with all these points!

I have some issues with #2 and #4

Failure to find a cache is not a maintenance problem. -- It can be a maintenance problem, and likely missing if there are multiple DNFs on a low difficulty rated cache. The CO needs to check to see if the cache is still there.

Minor issues such as a full log book. -- A full logbook is a maintenance issue and needs to be addressed by the CO.

Rule #1:

Rule #2:

Rule #3:

Rule #4:

Rule #5:

Not a problem with that, but how about when you should?

Minor issues such as a full log book. -- A full logbook is a maintenance issue and needs to be addressed by the CO.

The main reason I prefer for a full logbook to be handled differently than NM is because NM generates an attribute that can keep the cache from showing up in some PQs, until that flag is cleared by the CO. It's not that I don't think a CO should maintain the logbook, but I think it could be handled without making the cache invisible to some PQs.

Rule #1:

Rule #2:

Rule #3:

Rule #4:

Rule #5:

I would have to disagree w/ #4. Signing the physical log is a requirement to some cachers. This is one of the most common maintenance needs.

Rule #1:

Rule #2:

Rule #3:

Rule #4:

Rule #5:

That is a fantastic overview of when not to use a NM log!

1. Didn't see it, you can't be certain.

2. This happens a little too often.

3. Can't argue with that, although perception can play a role here as well.

4. True, I have written my name/date on some pretty full logbooks never thought it was NM logworthy.

5. 100%

Regarding the usage of NM logs:

1. The cache has been vandalized.

2. The cache is waterlogged and the logbook is unusable.

3. I just stole your cache and therefore have proof that it is missing :lol:

4. Or if I want to p-off my buddy SooMukwas! :ph34r:

The main reason I prefer for a full logbook to be handled differently than NM is because NM generates an attribute that can keep the cache from showing up in some PQs, until that flag is cleared by the CO. It's not that I don't think a CO should maintain the logbook, but I think it could be handled without making the cache invisible to some PQs.

Honest question. Do you filter out NM in your PQs? I don't think many do.

edit: sorry can't spell NM

Edited by BlueDeuce

No matter how good a cache is sometimes it needs maintenance. Stating that you found the cache damaged, the log ruined, or the log full is simply a statement of fact not a criticism of the CO. Heck, they could have checked on the cache yesterday and it was perfectly fine, but today there was a torrential downpour or muggles messing up the cache or whatever.

If the CO is concerned about the NM attribute, once they perform maintenance it is quite easy to post a Owner Performed Maintenance log to let everyone know they've been a diligent CO and to clear the NM attribute.

If a CO gave me grief for a reasonable and legitimate NM log, I would be inclined to ignore the rest of the CO's hides.

Don't take NA or NM logs personally!

Edited by Joshism

Honest answer - I don't. If you were to tell me that pretty much nobody does, I'd have to rexamine my thinking on this.

Honest answer - I don't. If you were to tell me that pretty much nobody does, I'd have to rexamine my thinking on this.

Yep, nice to see them maintained. Tough to expect it.

When I emailed the CO, I got a short response about not emailing them directly because it was "unsolicited" and to just log it and they'd get to it "eventually."

Just to touch on a part of the original post. If a person is the cache owner with their geonick on a cache page and that cache is needing maintenance, then their geonick is viewable by all (or at least PMs if it is such,) and as such email to them is NOT unsolicited. If they do not want to receive electronic correspondence regarding THEIR caches then they may want to adopt them out to a cacher with a little more time to maintain them.

Just my 2 cents.

When I emailed the CO, I got a short response about not emailing them directly because it was "unsolicited" and to just log it and they'd get to it "eventually."

Just to touch on a part of the original post. If a person is the cache owner with their geonick on a cache page and that cache is needing maintenance, then their geonick is viewable by all (or at least PMs if it is such,) and as such email to them is NOT unsolicited. If they do not want to receive electronic correspondence regarding THEIR caches then they may want to adopt them out to a cacher with a little more time to maintain them.

Just my 2 cents.

Amen. We are a community after all.

I'm usually quite blunt in my NM logs. If a CO sees that as offensive, then that's their problem. <_<

Do you see it as unacceptable burden to soften your message for someone who doesn' t know you and doesn't have any visual or vocal cue's to work from?

I didn't say that I'm being harsh. I just say what it is. Log wet? Log wet. Container broken? Container broken. Everything inside ruined? Everything inside ruined. You get the idea.

I'm usually quite blunt in my NM logs. If a CO sees that as offensive, then that's their problem. <_<

Do you see it as unacceptable burden to soften your message for someone who doesn' t know you and doesn't have any visual or vocal cue's to work from?

I didn't say that I'm being harsh. I just say what it is. Log wet? Log wet. Container broken? Container broken. Everything inside ruined? Everything inside ruined. You get the idea.

I am pretty straight forward in my NM logs as well. If the container is a hot rusty mess or sopping wet I say it flat out. I'm not going to dance around the topic because there's no reason to.

I am pretty straight forward in my NM logs as well. If the container is a hot rusty mess or sopping wet I say it flat out. I'm not going to dance around the topic because there's no reason to.

Same here.

Rule #1:

Rule #2:

Rule #3:

Rule #4:

Rule #5:

1. Yup

2. Yup

3. Yup

4. This is certainly a maintenance issue, as the cache owner is responsible for maintaining their cache and assuring that it is legally placed and can be logged properly.

5. Yup

As others have said, many people don't read their "found it" logs after some time. Most never cross-check the logbook for online logs. So, a NM log is a different sort of trigger. It lets you know that your cache may need to some maintenance. Nuf said.

I have an etiquette issue in this line. One of the local teachers sent her class out to hide geocaches which are then listed under her name. She didn't take the gps readings and really wasn't involved in the hiding. After a month one finally got published though it's a hot mess. Te coordinates appear to be google earthed dead center of the parking lot and two experienced finders couldn't find this 1 star difficulty regular sized cache.

So I plan to waste some time and look for it maybe tonight as I'm very familiar with that spot in general. Should I post a nm asking the teacher to double check the students work here? If I don't find it?

I have an etiquette issue in this line. One of the local teachers sent her class out to hide geocaches which are then listed under her name. She didn't take the gps readings and really wasn't involved in the hiding. After a month one finally got published though it's a hot mess. Te coordinates appear to be google earthed dead center of the parking lot and two experienced finders couldn't find this 1 star difficulty regular sized cache.

So I plan to waste some time and look for it maybe tonight as I'm very familiar with that spot in general. Should I post a nm asking the teacher to double check the students work here? If I don't find it?

If you hunt the provided coords and find no cache or area to hide a cache, I'd post a DNF and email the owner to confirm it's location. Then, using that information, I'd try to hunt again. If the location is WAY off from the provided coordinates, another email would be warranted. You can also leave coordinates in your log. If it is 100+ ft off, then post a NM log and email the owner with better coords.

I'd just try to work your way through it, and the owner and other cachers will certainly appreciate your attention to fix this one.

Just try to be kind and constructive. If it doesn't go that way, take a break from it, use the provided logging "tools" (NM/DNF/NA/Note/etc) to help others understand how to hunt it if they try.

If you hunt the provided coords and find no cache or area to hide a cache, I'd post a DNF and email the owner to confirm it's location. Then, using that information, I'd try to hunt again. If the location is WAY off from the provided coordinates, another email would be warranted. You can also leave coordinates in your log. If it is 100+ ft off, then post a NM log and email the owner with better coords.

I'd just try to work your way through it, and the owner and other cachers will certainly appreciate your attention to fix this one.

Just try to be kind and constructive. If it doesn't go that way, take a break from it, use the provided logging "tools" (NM/DNF/NA/Note/etc) to help others understand how to hunt it if they try.

Case and point for a cache here in MN I am familiar with:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e6669a65-2299-4449-ba43-fae5812f41d7

Can anyone advise me on the etiquette on for needs maintenance in caches? A friend told me it was common courtesy to not actually put it in the cache logs, because that was "calling out" the CO,

It's sad that people could think this.

NM isn't "calling out" anyone; it's sharing information. If the logbook in my ammo box gets wet, how am I supposed to know that if you don't tell me? And the appropriate way to tell me is with a Needs Maintenance log.

+1!!

NM logs are not just for the benefit of the cache owner. They are also useful to the cachers that follow, and are important to the history of the cache. If NM logs are not posted and the cache owner does nothing about the private emails you send them, there is no history to show the negligence to a reviewer that is checking up on absentee or negligent cache owners.

As to the response of the cache owner to your private emails... you emailed a jerk, apparently, or at least in a person in a foul mood. You have no control over that.

My advice... use the tools that geocaching.com have provided (NM logs) and if a cache owner thinks they are getting called out, that is their problem, and they are in the minority amongst cache owners.

I gathered some collateral information tonight about the cache in question (as well as some other ones that are lingering out there as of yet unpublished). I discussed details about this particular class project and how it was conducted (next to no supervision and there's question if some of the kids even placed anything).

No checking up after the caches were hidden prior to publishing. Like zero. there's some question if some students even hid anything before giving her the coordinates. Actually not question. Some of the students actually bragged about it. So yeah.

After an extensive search of the area. And I mean extensive. This is allegedly an ammo can with a 1 star difficulty and 1.5 terrain (and we were wandering around terrain that was more difficult than that as we expanded the search).... I did and DNF and a needs maintenance. We went as far as out as 200 feet from ground zero. The GPSr brought us right to the center of the parking lot with the coordinates given.

Rule #1:

Rule #2:

Rule #3:

Rule #4:

Rule #5:

Agree with all, except the full logbook. I posted a NM today for a cache with a full log. The owner has lots of caches and so will probably not be reading the individual 'so and so found it' emails, but a Needs Maintenace email will stand out more. As a cache owner, I would like to know if the log book needs replacing or if anything needs fixing.

I gathered some collateral information tonight about the cache in question (as well as some other ones that are lingering out there as of yet unpublished). I discussed details about this particular class project and how it was conducted (next to no supervision and there's question if some of the kids even placed anything).

No checking up after the caches were hidden prior to publishing. Like zero. there's some question if some students even hid anything before giving her the coordinates. Actually not question. Some of the students actually bragged about it. So yeah.

After an extensive search of the area. And I mean extensive. This is allegedly an ammo can with a 1 star difficulty and 1.5 terrain (and we were wandering around terrain that was more difficult than that as we expanded the search).... I did and DNF and a needs maintenance. We went as far as out as 200 feet from ground zero. The GPSr brought us right to the center of the parking lot with the coordinates given.

This is so annoying. Same type of thing happened in our area. Geography teacher had his students create their own GC accounts and place caches. No checking the cache locations by the teacher, no follow-up to confirm accurate coords before posting the caches. Apparently google earth coords. Poorly placed. One cache was over 200 meters (about 600 feet) from posted coords. One that required you to go through the kid's parents private property to get the cache. All have been abandoned. If GS had a wait period of at least a couple of months this type of thing would not happen. But in your case, if the teacher used her own account and had been registered for more then 2 months it could still occur.

As a community, NMs and constructive criticism in the logs is our only resort. Teachers/leaders need to know that these types of assignments (with no checks and follow-ups before posting and no plan for maintenance) are inconsiderate, frustrating and not acceptable.