first adventure coming up...I hope

Team Ca-Ching

I've been using a Garmin Forerunner 405 which is a running GPS. I have managed with this, although I have a handheld on order. The car one should work, but may not be as precise as a handheld. Try it out and see how you make out. I'm really enjoying this activity and hope you do too. I know from talking to some experienced geocachers that you should not put out a cache of your own unless you use a good GPS that can average a waypoint so that the coordinates are accurate.

SookeMomcat

Does it have pedestrian setting? We borrowed a TomTom when we started and it would only get us to the nearest point on a road (which was rubbish for caching in the woods). The one we have now has pedestrian mode which will take us right to ground zero but be warned they are designed to be plugged in to the lighter socket and the battery doesn't last long when unplugged. Give it a go near your home, if it will track you offroad you may be ok. Before you know it you'll be hooked anyway and buy a handheld :)

Good luck!

My first couple of finds I did with no GPS at all, a car SatNav unit would have been a luxury then!

I did the next few with a car unit, it was hard as you don't get a pointer arrow on mine but I did it for a couple so the answer is yes you can if that's what you have.

A friend then lent me his Garmin 60 handheld GPS and that makes a lot of difference, pointer arrow and distance to the exact location. When the budget allows, definitely get one :)