that would be better used as a geocache...

dorqie

The other day I was in a coffee shop, they had their brown sugar in a lock and lock. I muttered outloud "that should really be a geocache" and my bf replied "you know... you can actually keep food in those..."

Anyone else find it a shame that people use things that would make a good cache container for other purposes? lol

I also find myself absentmindedly checking bolts on lamp posts whenever i am at the bus stop, but that's another story.

Edited by dorqie

Noisy Hiker #3 found a large, neon green rubber skull at Value Village. She wants to cut the top open and store her makeup in it. I think it would be an awesome geocache (though I doubt it would stay pretty for long...)

I also spend a lot of time looking at holes in tree trunks and other natural hiding spots and thinking "ooh! If I were a cache, I would want to live there!"

Food goes so quickly in our house of 8 people, it just isn't worth the extra price for a lock and lock. I didn't even know it was a food container? Are you preparing for a nuclear Apocalypse? Why would you need food that well protected?

Haha. Agreed. And when I see food in a container like that, I don't get annoyed, I just find myself picturing it as a geocache. Then I ask myself "Who is crazy enough to put food in a geocache?" And that's when I realize it's not really a geocache... :blink:

my bf, who also caches, uses an amo can to keep his pocket knife collection in.

This also bothers me.

"That should really be a geocache..."

"but then where would my knives go?"

"in something less watertight."

no knives in caches

Ooooops....I liberated two Lock & Locks from our caching supply for my lunches...I have sinned! I am also guilty of looking for potential cache homes when out and about.

food either.

I work for a pharmacy automation company, imagine my stress at seeing all those cache containers being used for pills.

(just kidding of course, vials make terrible cache containers)

Food goes so quickly in our house of 8 people, it just isn't worth the extra price for a lock and lock. I didn't even know it was a food container? Are you preparing for a nuclear Apocalypse? Why would you need food that well protected?

I tried putting leftover in a lock n lock once (we have a pile in our hallway) and it was weird.

I mean, really, 4 snaps? What in the world are people trying to protect their food from?

Ants...they generate their own mini-apocalypses.

I can forgive someone for using lock & lock for food - they're relatively inexpensive. But an ammo can? The holy grail of cache containers? That cost $17.50 each at the local surplus store? Used to store bullets? Sacrilege! The 2nd Amendment only protects people's right to bear arms. It doesn't say squat about people abusing poor ammo cans via gross misusage. :D

You'd think in my line of work (Army) that I'd have ammo cans out the wazoo, but most times I end up having to buy them from the surplus store. Though I still have one I picked up when I was a cadet, 15+ years ago...it's where we keep all our hzoi coins.

I predict this thread will degrade into a debate on the 2nd Amendment once someone says that geocaches are a better use of ammocans than storing ammunition.

Oh THAT's what those are for? I thought they were made just for geocaching...

When I was in the Army, they kept bullets in geocaches. I'm wondering if that's what Toz was talking about? :unsure:

So I went to get my lunch out of the fridge today and discovered I was FTF, a blank log. Then it occurred to me, I wonder who found my tuna salad? :blink:

You were not FTF. You found a throw down lock-n-lock, and the person that put it there also ate your tuna salad. Look around and maybe you see someone that has mayonnaise in the corner of their mouth and you'll find the culprit.

I took those candy things from Blockbuster that are in the shape of Mario Brothers toadstools. 2 of them are now so stuck they cant open anymore (but inside the larger container to show the original hide) and the 3rd one is still surprisingly hanging on. I also found an old 20 year old diarrhea medicine pill bottle that was very cool but it did not last long either. Hard to find cool hanging around the house cache container that will last the test of time...unless you manufacture something yourself.

I predict this thread will degrade into a debate on the 2nd Amendment once someone says that geocaches are a better use of ammocans than storing ammunition.

Oh THAT's what those are for? I thought they were made just for geocaching...

When I was in the Army, they kept bullets in geocaches. I'm wondering if that's what Toz was talking about? :unsure:

Back when my dad was serving he kept all his ammo in individual film canisters

Ya know, if all ammo cans were used as caches...Wars wouldn't last nearly as long. Seriously, how long can you sustain a fire fight with a pocket full of bullets? I think we've just discovered the secret to World peace! And then the camera turns to Kelso.

I'm sure some people in these forums would file this piece of "art" to be a waste of good containers

Kewl! Though I wouldn't call prescription medicine bottles "good" containers. They are designed to keep pills in reasonably good shape, while stored indoors. They are not even remotely waterproof. Turning a whole bunch of them into an art piece saves that many people from having to deal with wet, moldy logs. B)

I'm sure some people in these forums would file this piece of "art" to be a waste of good containers

Kewl! Though I wouldn't call prescription medicine bottles "good" containers. They are designed to keep pills in reasonably good shape, while stored indoors. They are not even remotely waterproof. Turning a whole bunch of them into an art piece saves that many people from having to deal with wet, moldy logs. B)

Yup! I never thought of using pill bottles as art before.... But then again, you could call anything art! :laughing: