Locationless Cache Pocket Query

Borgt

How can I get a query to return all locationless caches? If I'm not mistaken, there are only about 300 of them, so the number of results is not a problem at this time. The problem I seem to have is in the location. I can't get the distance field greater than 500 miles from any given point. It appears the locationless caches use the coordinates originally entered when the cache was created.

I looked briefly for the solution, it's here somewhere, but...

It takes two queries. On one of your queries on the From origin select Countries and in the dropdown, select the top country, scroll to the bottom, hold down the SHIFT key while selecting the bottom country. This selects all countries. Finish filling our your query and submit.

Do the same thing on the other query, but select States and all of the States this time.

You'll get two queries with all of the locationless caches.

Hope this helps.

CR

72057_2000.gif

You know, this brings up a point. A file with all of the Locationless waypoints would only change seldom and really is not needed. An eBook of the locationless really doesn't need the last logs and that wouldn't change very often.

Why not put up a link to these two files to be downloaded directly. Change the file once daily if needed. You don't get queries any more often than that anyway.

It's save query time on the server (I think) and not take up two queries on the user's end.

Thoughts?

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

You know, if _some_body put The United States on the dropdown for Countries, it'd only take one query.

Oh, what the heck, I'll go ahead and mention it: that somebody doesn't have to be an admin, if you have any skill with HTML. "United States" should have a value of 3 (that value was stolen from the "hide a cache" form.) You'll also have to change the form to have a non-relative URL. For now anyway, it works and it creates a query that returns all of the locationless in one big file. (And without the duplication you get in the two-query method.)

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

quote:

You know, if _some_body put The United States on the dropdown for Countries, it'd only take one query.

Oh, what the heck, I'll go ahead and mention it: that _some_body doesn't have to be an admin, if you have any skill with HTML. "United States" should have a value of 3 (that value was stolen from the "hide a cache" form.) You'll also have to change the form to have a non-relative URL. For now anyway, it works and it creates a query that returns all of the locationless in one big file. (And without the duplication you get in the two-query method.)

http://216.202.195.127/warm.gif

You know, I had thought about doing that--I've done that in the past on threaded forums to allow myself longer message headers--but I was a little timid. I certainly didn't want to screw something up. Plus, I didn't know which value to use. (You sure it's 3? I show that for Australia.)

Just re-read you post and then looked at the "hide-a-cache" page. I had been looking on the query page, didn't think to look on the hide-a-cache page. US is 2, not 3.

Gonna try that right now.

Thanks!

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:

something up. Plus, I didn't know which value to use. (You sure it's 3? I show that for Australia.)

Just re-read you post and then looked at the "hide-a-cache" page. I had been looking on the query page, didn't think to look on the hide-a-cache page. US is 2, not 3.

Yep, you're absolutely right, it is 2. That's what I have in my local copy of the pocket query form, so it must be right because it worked. I pulled the number out of my sometimes-faulty memory without checking first. Guess that's what I get for not checking my facts.

Ah, well, that's why I mentioned where I got the value from, so people could check up on me.

warm.gif