New Cacher Here

Veregx

Hello everyone!

I just recently started geocaching a couple days ago, and so far it's been a lot of fun!

Since I started, though, I've been thinking about who I could drag into this with me. I pitched the idea to my mother and she seemed interested, however I have a feeling she probably won't want to go for some of the "woodsy" caches I'll eventually want to explore.

So I'm curious if anyone else has brought someone into caching with them. What's the best technique? Do I just wait and see?

Also.. I'm interested in finding other cachers nearby that wouldn't mind partnering up. Is there any decent way to go about this? Or do I pretty much just pitch the idea to friends/family until someone says yes? :P

Thanks for any answers provided!

-Veregx

Hello everyone!

I just recently started geocaching a couple days ago, and so far it's been a lot of fun!

Since I started, though, I've been thinking about who I could drag into this with me. I pitched the idea to my mother and she seemed interested, however I have a feeling she probably won't want to go for some of the "woodsy" caches I'll eventually want to explore.

So I'm curious if anyone else has brought someone into caching with them. What's the best technique? Do I just wait and see?

Also.. I'm interested in finding other cachers nearby that wouldn't mind partnering up. Is there any decent way to go about this? Or do I pretty much just pitch the idea to friends/family until someone says yes? :P

-Veregx

Welcome to geocaching and welcome to the forums!

Sorry. I probably won't be able to be your caching buddy, but good luck in finding one! For now, I would recommend going by yourself until you find someone to go with, but don't go too deep into the woods for safety reasons. It's better to have someone to help you if by some chance something happens. (knock on wood)

As for technique, each cacher has their own, but they're all based on the same thing: LOOKING. You just get better with experience...

Be careful, but by all means, HAVE FUN!

-SuperRat

Hello everyone!

-Veregx

I rarely geocache alone, I usually either with either one of my two chauffeurs, or I am taking the bus or walking 5 - 8 miles to a geocache with one of my friends.

It helps to have friend's that already like the outdoors. I've been a huge outdoor person since I was 6 - 7 years old. The same people I traveled the woods with then, are the same people I am doing it with today. I also have another friend in the Boyscouts, he live 11 miles from me on weekends, so when we hang out it's usually at the mall with our clique.

If you grew up and the people you hung with just hung out around the neighborhood, and never ventured through the woods then it may be a big shock to them.

Never fear however, finding someone who shares the love of the outdoors (Or if you don't like outdoors and you only do it for the geocaches) it isn't to hard to find someone.

While the only event within 5 miles of you is over, there is one within 50 miles. Not a far drive at all, I go geocaching 30 - 50 miles away about once every two weeks... I don't even own a car...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2YVD9

Geocachers are generally the nicest folks you will find on this planet. Accepting of anyone, and will include you in their conversation immediately. Get to know a few people, get a few phone numbers, email addresses. Possibly go to another event and meet the person again. I guarantee, if you are a nice person someone wouldn't mind going geocaching with you...

You may want to post this question in your regional forum - Florida? Go to Groundspeak Forums, and scroll down until you get your area. Look out for events where you can meet other cachers. Take your mother too! I'm not sure of your age, but whatever it is, I am sure Mom will appreciate meeting any cachers you plan on going hunting with. Keep working on your friends too.....

but don't go too deep into the woods for safety reasons. It's better to have someone to help you if by some chance something happens. (knock on wood)

-SuperRat

Depends where, I assume your talking about woods right off the crime-ridden area's of your city, San Jose, Mexico, Brazil maybe? (I think Jose is a spanish name but the San part makes me think south america)? Contrary to popular belief, murderer's do not sit in the woods, nearly 4 miles into the trail, on some remote park in the middle of no where. Murderer's may be mentally insane, but they have functioning brains, why wait for what could be days on end for a victim, when you could... Ya know? Be conventional?

However, wildlife is what you REALLY need to be worrying about. Poinson spiders, snakes, bears, alligators. I'm lucky enough to live far enough from all that. Except bears, but I would never geocache in New Jersey forest.

Ask a local park ranger what type of dangerous wildlife lives in your area. Know what to watch out for.

but don't go too deep into the woods for safety reasons. It's better to have someone to help you if by some chance something happens. (knock on wood)

-SuperRat

Depends where, I assume your talking about woods right off the crime-ridden area's of your city, San Jose, Mexico, Brazil maybe? (I think Jose is a spanish name but the San part makes me think south america)? Contrary to popular belief, murderer's do not sit in the woods, nearly 4 miles into the trail, on some remote park in the middle of no where. Murderer's may be mentally insane, but they have functioning brains, why wait for what could be days on end for a victim, when you could... Ya know? Be conventional?

However, wildlife is what you REALLY need to be worrying about. Poinson spiders, snakes, bears, alligators. I'm lucky enough to live far enough from all that. Except bears, but I would never geocache in New Jersey forest.

Ask a local park ranger what type of dangerous wildlife lives in your area. Know what to watch out for.

San Jose is in California. The bay area to be exact. And it's not crime ridden. It's just that here in the wood we have a LOT of rattlesnakes...

-SuperRat

San Jose is in California. The bay area to be exact. And it's not crime ridden. It's just that here in the wood we have a LOT of rattlesnakes...

Every major city has it's parts that are crime-ridden. Admittedly, a quick google search shows San Jose is one of the safer of all cities with over 500K population. But, using neighborhood scout the worst area's dipped down to 30 out of 100 (100 being the safest) I saw only one area with 18 out of 100. Better then Philadelphia's 0 out of 100's and 1 out of 100's and 2 out of 100's for sure. Still not crime free, and some parts are crime-ridden.

-SuperRat

I think he's talking about wildlife danger, as well as falling/drowning etc.

Nobody goes in buddies out to the deep woods for the sole reason of driving away murderers.

-SuperRat

Every major city has it's parts that are crime-ridden. Admittedly, a quick google search shows San Jose is one of the safer of all cities with over 500K population. But, using neighborhood scout the worst area's dipped down to 30 out of 100 (100 being the safest) I saw only one area with 18 out of 100. Better then Philadelphia's 0 out of 100's and 1 out of 100's and 2 out of 100's for sure. Still not crime free, and some parts are crime-ridden.

There are places in every city that aren't the best places to be. But for every negative, there is a positive. :rolleyes: I prefer to look at the glass half full!

I drag everyone along with me! I'm still new to the sport (22 finds!) but so far I've taken my husband, my Mum, my Dad and three different friends with me (on all different occasions). As yet, no one is hooked, but heres hoping someone I bring along will feel the same buzz as me!

You have a bunch of useful replies (events etc.) thus far so I will not repeat those.

However, you mentioned about getting friends / family / co-workers etc. interested i.e. non-geocachers as of yet.

What we have found to be successful has been typically two-fold; Pictures and stories of the local area holding geocaches.

Favorite Pictures of some of the cool places we have gone because of geocaching gets almost everyone at least intrigued. Not Ground Zero but cool parks, historical places, that kind of thing.

Telling our stories of relatively local caches also has proved interesting something along the lines of:

"Hey, you know the park on third? There's a geocache there. And would you believe I found an area I have never been to before just a mile out of town?" You get the idea.

Something else to consider.

Happy Geocaching! - hawkeyetob

Hello everyone!

-Veregx

I don't know what your age or marital status might be, but if you are on any dating sites, you might mention your interest in geocaching. That way you can meet someone and already know you have that interest in common.

Good luck,

Tom

We talk :) we bring it up during any conversation about the outdoors, or what we do for fun. Sometimes, in response to the "what are ya'll doing this weekend?"

Not all that are interested wish to go with us at first. That's something you need to keep in mind. Sometimes they need to go out on their own & give it a shot to see if they like it. If they do, then eventually at some point down the road, you either get a phone call or run into them again, & all of a sudden they're caching buddies.