2 questions about the Geomate Jr and 1 about eXplorist GC

Looking for ways to stay busy and keep my mind off work during my 2 week staycation I dove into geocaching. Since Monday I have found 12 caches with my kids and absolutely love it (the kids call it treasure hunting as we avoid micros and only go for swag trading caches). I am using my car gps to get us close and my Samsung Focus with the Geocaching app running on Windows Phone 7 as my primary device. I get us close to the cache and then the kids take over searching high & low for it. I'm interested in picking up the Geomate Jr and eXplorist GC but have some questions:

Geomate Jr.

Can you enter coords into the Geomate Jr?

The site says it has 250k caches pre-loaded but not sure how these are updated. Is the only way to update the unit by buying the ~$25 update kit?

Magellan eXplorist GC

I'm considering getting myself the eXplorist GC to replace my phone as my primary device. Is the Magellan eXporist GC an upgrade from my phone for geocaching? Would it be a big improvement or only minor?

I believe that the Geomate JR has caches from 09 in it. I just bought 2 used and I ordered the cable to update them. I also have the GC and have used it with my niece who uses her phone. I when searching only see a arrow and a line pointing to the cache. My niece view shows the trees roads ect. I hope this helps.

The JR you have to get the $30 cable to update the cache listing in the unit. Its very limited and your money is better spent elsewhere IMHO. The GC would be a much better unit but has its limitations. It has a very basic base map that isn't upgrade able. I would look at the Dakota 10. As a PM you can run PQs giving you access to paperless caching. Giving you cache descriptions, hints, and logs for units that support paperless caching which both the GC and Dakota do. You get 2 big benefits with the Dakota over the GC. First and fore most you can upgrade the maps on the Dakota. So you can install a topo map so you know where bodies of water are in relation to you and the cache. Secondly the Dakota is touch screen. Allowing easier input of data while out caching. For example if your working on a multi cache you'll need to figure out the cords to the next stage and enter that into the unit. Its easier and faster on a touch screen.

Geomate Jr.

The site says it has 250k caches pre-loaded but not sure how these are updated. Is the only way to update the unit by buying the ~$25 update kit?

Not by hand. You can get the update cable for $25 and at that point load whatever caches you want on to it.

Great feedback. I'd love to get my little guy the Geomate Jr. but it's disappointing that you have to buy the update kit/cable to add any new caches. Although the unit is ~$50 on Amazon now so less than $80 for both isnt bad. Are there any stores that carry it in Washington (Eastside of Seattle) that are reasonably priced?

I think I'm going to stick with my phone for my primary device until the new line of Garmin paper-less GPS units comes out in Q3.

Great feedback. I'd love to get my little guy the Geomate Jr. but it's disappointing that you have to buy the update kit/cable to add any new caches. Although the unit is ~$50 on Amazon now so less than $80 for both isnt bad. Are there any stores that carry it in Washington (Eastside of Seattle) that are reasonably priced?

I think I'm going to stick with my phone for my primary device until the new line of Garmin paper-less GPS units comes out in Q3.

Im not sure about your area but many Target stores were carrying them. I know the stores near me had them for $79 but I haven't seen them on shelves in a couple months. Some others have seen them in the clearance section for as low as $35 but I have yet to see any at that price. I'd go with Amazon....seems to be the lowest price right now.

I have a Geomate Jr. and like the simplicity of it. I bought the update kit. You go to the Geomate wesite, plug it in, tell it what to update, then it updates it. It only updates the "easy caches". Can I add other ones from geocaching.com?

Geomate Jr.

Not by hand. You can get the update cable for $25 and at that point load whatever caches you want on to it.

I have a Geomate Jr. and like the simplicity of it. I bought the update kit. You go to the Geomate wesite, plug it in, tell it what to update, then it updates it. It only updates the "easy caches". Can I add other ones from geocaching.com?

Geomate Jr.

The update kit will allow you to update to ALL of the traditional Geocaches in the world....not just the easy ones. When you login you have the option of downloading the caches from the east/west of the U.S., other countries, or even upload your own pocket queries.