Yet another cache type...

The Cheeseheads

After getting home from the Chicago Picnic yesterday, I had a thought for a new cache type that would be appropriate for Geocaching picnics. For want of a better name, I'll call it the "Temporary Cache". The cache hider would set it up like normal, but after it is submitted and approved, it would never show up in a search or in the list of caches in your area. The only way to get to it would be through the "Caches You've Hidden" page for the owner.

The cache owner could then take the links for the temporary caches that they set up and place them on the event page so that the picnic goers could find them and log them in if they find them during the picnic.

Plusses:

They can be hidden and registered weeks ahead of the event without having to worry about someone searching for them beforehand, because they wouldn't show up in a search.

It makes the event page a lot cleaner, so you don't have everyone logging in half a dozen finds in the same event cache.

You get real cache pages that you can print out and distribute at the event.

When the event is over and the temproary caches are removed, you don't have to worry about how long to keep the page available for the picnic goers to log their finds so that non-picnic goers don't accedentally stumble upon it and try to search for the cache, because it will be clear that it was only temporary and is not there anymore.

Sound like a good idea?

I'll chime in. icon_biggrin.gif

I never considered setting up the temporary caches as actual caches until the drive home yesterday. A little snip of cutting and pasting and I had them in the system within 15 minutes and the cracker-jack approval team had them approved in less than 30 minutes after that. Even had I just thought of it ahead of time, I would have done it this way again.

I could have actually done the same thing by Archiving the cache pages immediately after they were approved. You guys could still have logged the cache pages (even when archived), and I would have provided links on the Chicago Picnic page. The caches wouldn't have shown up in a search that way either.

As the cache owner, they would show up if I switch on the "show archived" caches that I hid. I could have linked to them and printed them off to my heart's content. Lesson learned and that's what will happen next year.

So, probably don't need a new type, just foresight in implementing the existing types. icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

I'll chime in. icon_biggrin.gif

I never considered setting up the temporary caches as actual caches until the drive home yesterday. A little snip of cutting and pasting and I had them in the system within 15 minutes and the cracker-jack approval team had them approved in less than 30 minutes after that. Even had I just thought of it ahead of time, I would have done it this way again.

I could have actually done the same thing by Archiving the cache pages immediately after they were approved. You guys could still have logged the cache pages (even when archived), and I would have provided links on the Chicago Picnic page. The caches wouldn't have shown up in a search that way either.

As the cache owner, they would show up if I switch on the "show archived" caches that I hid. I could have linked to them and printed them off to my heart's content. Lesson learned and that's what will happen next year.

So, probably don't need a new type, just foresight in implementing the existing types. icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

I left the caches there for a few that couldn't make it to the picnic. They weren't picked up.

I was thinking that maybe David.April, Bspeng or a few of the other "gosh-I-wish-I-could-have-been-there" types would like to have a little taste of what we were doing. Also, Jim & Jimmy made the good suggestion that they live right in the area, but while they couldn't make it to the caches that day, they might come out around the big weekend ahead. That's why they'll be up there for a week without archiving.

If you read the temp cache's pages, they indicate that "This cache will be archived on Sunday, July 7. Whoever goes out to find it either on or after July 7, please pick up the box and throw it away."

After July 7, I'll archive the pages and they'll be gone except for the links on the Chicago Picnic page. I'll change the description of those links as well, indicating that the cache pages are for caches that are no longer there.

Eventually, probably on August 15, I'll archive the picnic page all together, but leave a link to the picnic page on the Chicago Geocacher's Yahoo site.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Man, is this becoming a forum for how we can do things better at next year's Chicago picnic? icon_wink.gif

I left the caches there for a few that couldn't make it to the picnic. They weren't picked up.

I was thinking that maybe David.April, Bspeng or a few of the other "gosh-I-wish-I-could-have-been-there" types would like to have a little taste of what we were doing. Also, Jim & Jimmy made the good suggestion that they live right in the area, but while they couldn't make it to the caches that day, they might come out around the big weekend ahead. That's why they'll be up there for a week without archiving.

If you read the temp cache's pages, they indicate that "This cache will be archived on Sunday, July 7. Whoever goes out to find it either on or after July 7, please pick up the box and throw it away."

After July 7, I'll archive the pages and they'll be gone except for the links on the Chicago Picnic page. I'll change the description of those links as well, indicating that the cache pages are for caches that are no longer there.

Eventually, probably on August 15, I'll archive the picnic page all together, but leave a link to the picnic page on the Chicago Geocacher's Yahoo site.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Man, is this becoming a forum for how we can do things better at next year's Chicago picnic? icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

Here's what we did:

We did that too. One of the 5 temporary caches we had at the site became a permanent memorial cache. Everyone chipped in something for the 50 cal ammo box, and we left that out there. We also left the four other temporary ones as well, and those will eventually be archived (July 7). Only one of the caches will stay as permanent.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

They're temporary because they're not my best effort.

• I placed all 5 in a matter of 90 minutes, purposely placing them within walking distance of each other. That kind of cache saturation is what I despise, unless they are part of a multi cache.
  • They were gladware boxes - not what I would consider the most permanent cache box.
  • And the contents? Poker chips and stickers?!? I'd never leave just that for a cache box.

Was there an agreement to remove them after the event? No, not really. But since they're my caches and I consider them sub-par, I reserve the right to that option. That's why I worded their pages like I did.

Mind you, we're only talking about the five that I placed. Three Armed Beaver II, R We There Yet? and Wil's micro/multi caches are all staying up as permanent caches.

A little to the heart of the matter of one thing you said...

quote:
The number of new caches are getting scarce, at least ones that are close enough for me.

But what you need are more GOOD caches, not ones just thrown around. Ones like these are what makes the Forest Preserve people want to ban caches. I can only take on one county at a time. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

They're temporary because they're not my best effort.

• I placed all 5 in a matter of 90 minutes, purposely placing them within walking distance of each other. That kind of cache saturation is what I despise, unless they are part of a multi cache.
  • They were gladware boxes - not what I would consider the most permanent cache box.
  • And the contents? Poker chips and stickers?!? I'd never leave just that for a cache box.

Was there an agreement to remove them after the event? No, not really. But since they're my caches and I consider them sub-par, I reserve the right to that option. That's why I worded their pages like I did.

Mind you, we're only talking about the five that I placed. Three Armed Beaver II, R We There Yet? and Wil's micro/multi caches are all staying up as permanent caches.

A little to the heart of the matter of one thing you said...

quote:
The number of new caches are getting scarce, at least ones that are close enough for me.

But what you need are more GOOD caches, not ones just thrown around. Ones like these are what makes the Forest Preserve people want to ban caches. I can only take on one county at a time. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Man, is this becoming a forum for how we can do things better at next year's Chicago picnic?

This was the first picnic I had ever been to, and I thought it was great! My wife, who is not nearly as gung-ho about the sport as I am had a great time as well.

I've volumteered to help set up caches for the Wisconsin picnic in August, so that's why I'm interested in how the temporary caches get set up.

My only suggestion for next year would be to announce the time that the picture is going to be taken. I was coming back from "DEET" and saw everyone lined up, realised what was going on, and started sprinting. I'm suprised I didn't need CPR afterwards... icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, that, and could you please schedule it for a weekend where we get full triple digit temps? I feel a little cheated that we didn't get out of the 90's! icon_wink.gif

icon_wigogeocaching.gif

quote:

Man, is this becoming a forum for how we can do things better at next year's Chicago picnic?

This was the first picnic I had ever been to, and I thought it was great! My wife, who is not nearly as gung-ho about the sport as I am had a great time as well.

I've volumteered to help set up caches for the Wisconsin picnic in August, so that's why I'm interested in how the temporary caches get set up.

My only suggestion for next year would be to announce the time that the picture is going to be taken. I was coming back from "DEET" and saw everyone lined up, realised what was going on, and started sprinting. I'm suprised I didn't need CPR afterwards... icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, that, and could you please schedule it for a weekend where we get full triple digit temps? I feel a little cheated that we didn't get out of the 90's! icon_wink.gif

icon_wigogeocaching.gif

quote:
My only suggestion for next year would be to announce the time that the picture is going to be taken. I was coming back from "DEET" and saw everyone lined up, realised what was going on, and started sprinting. I'm suprised I didn't need CPR afterwards...

Point well taken. Ken made the same observation (he missed the picture icon_frown.gif )

Here's a short list of things I've learned on hosting this picnic:

• Involve my wife. She's the one that keeps me on top of problems BEFORE they happen (like looking for people at the photo shot time).

• Announce group photo time on the cache page two weeks before (that way people can PLAN to be at the grove at that time).

• Log the temporary caches as caches, with the idea to archive them after X days.

• Get a sign-in sheet for who all was there, with screen name. That way you can thank them for coming (I don't dare do that now, as I'm afraid I'll miss someone!).

• Setup ahead of time and announce what will happen to any travel bugs that come to the picnic.

Others are filtering in to my e-mail box. It was still a great event, and I had a blast, but I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

quote:
My only suggestion for next year would be to announce the time that the picture is going to be taken. I was coming back from "DEET" and saw everyone lined up, realised what was going on, and started sprinting. I'm suprised I didn't need CPR afterwards...

Point well taken. Ken made the same observation (he missed the picture icon_frown.gif )

Here's a short list of things I've learned on hosting this picnic:

• Involve my wife. She's the one that keeps me on top of problems BEFORE they happen (like looking for people at the photo shot time).

• Announce group photo time on the cache page two weeks before (that way people can PLAN to be at the grove at that time).

• Log the temporary caches as caches, with the idea to archive them after X days.

• Get a sign-in sheet for who all was there, with screen name. That way you can thank them for coming (I don't dare do that now, as I'm afraid I'll miss someone!).

• Setup ahead of time and announce what will happen to any travel bugs that come to the picnic.

Others are filtering in to my e-mail box. It was still a great event, and I had a blast, but I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

...and delving a little further into the archiving of the temporary caches. (I know, but I still feel there are too many).

In a 5 mile radius from the Picnic's coordinates there are 14 active caches:

2002 Picnic Memorial: Determination and Deet

That? (Come together)

There? (Come together)

Where? (Come together)

Here? (Come together)

Come together (there? here? where? that?)

Three Armed Beaver II

R We There Yet ?

Moving Target

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Okay, I get it…“ELK” Grove

Holi-Daze

Waters Pass

Beige Bridge Wonder (Red Bridge Returns)

I just don't see the need with that concentration to have 4 other little junky caches be in the park.

Okay. I'll shut up. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

...and delving a little further into the archiving of the temporary caches. (I know, but I still feel there are too many).

In a 5 mile radius from the Picnic's coordinates there are 14 active caches:

2002 Picnic Memorial: Determination and Deet

That? (Come together)

There? (Come together)

Where? (Come together)

Here? (Come together)

Come together (there? here? where? that?)

Three Armed Beaver II

R We There Yet ?

Moving Target

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Okay, I get it…“ELK” Grove

Holi-Daze

Waters Pass

Beige Bridge Wonder (Red Bridge Returns)

I just don't see the need with that concentration to have 4 other little junky caches be in the park.

Okay. I'll shut up. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

quote:

I think I'll go after the temporary ones before they are archived. While at the picnic, there were no sheets left with the coordinates, or I did not know about the temporary caches. I did find one of Wil's, the one called THERE and I found several of the others on earlier occasions. The only new ones I was aware of were the one's placed by Jim and Pat, and then I got the coordinates for THERE from somebody who had them on a scrap of paper. Next year I'll ask more questions at the cache paper table and check the area from the website before coming to the picnic icon_smile.gif Hope it's just a bit cooler (temperature) next year!

quote:

I think I'll go after the temporary ones before they are archived. While at the picnic, there were no sheets left with the coordinates, or I did not know about the temporary caches. I did find one of Wil's, the one called THERE and I found several of the others on earlier occasions. The only new ones I was aware of were the one's placed by Jim and Pat, and then I got the coordinates for THERE from somebody who had them on a scrap of paper. Next year I'll ask more questions at the cache paper table and check the area from the website before coming to the picnic icon_smile.gif Hope it's just a bit cooler (temperature) next year!

Wow. I'm sorry you missed them! icon_eek.gif Unforutnately, since I was doing it on my local computer, I didn't print off multiple cache pages for the temporary ones until Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, and my slow little printer (and my extremely limited time) only allowed me to print off about 8 copies.

I'll keep them up until after July 7. If you want to hit them all, just let me know, and I'll keep them up a little longer (but not through August icon_wink.gif ).

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Wow. I'm sorry you missed them! icon_eek.gif Unforutnately, since I was doing it on my local computer, I didn't print off multiple cache pages for the temporary ones until Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, and my slow little printer (and my extremely limited time) only allowed me to print off about 8 copies.

I'll keep them up until after July 7. If you want to hit them all, just let me know, and I'll keep them up a little longer (but not through August icon_wink.gif ).

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Sorry, I was attending my sister's graduation out of the state, so I didn't have very good access to email.

My thought is to have a time release geocache. It would be a standard geocache but the coordinates would not be listed until a certain point in time. You could "watch" the cache and be notified when the cache becomes available.

An auto-archive date field would be available as well, so you could automatically "turn off" a cache after some time.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

It would be a standard geocache but the coordinates would not be listed until a certain point in time.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but it would be nice to have the cache placer control the visibility of the coordinates. If this can't be done, I suppose the above would work as long as the cache placer had control of when that ---certain point in time--- was.

quote:

Don't keep them up on my account, I'll have them hit before the 7th.

quote:

Don't keep them up on my account, I'll have them hit before the 7th.

quote:

My thought is to have a time release geocache. It would be a standard geocache but the coordinates would not be listed until a certain point in time. You could "watch" the cache and be notified when the cache becomes available.

I was thinking this same thing on the drive home yesterday, but wasn't sure I'd want to ask for another feature until I see a new search engine up and running. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

quote:

I was thinking this same thing on the drive home yesterday, but wasn't sure I'd want to ask for another feature until I see a new search engine up and running. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

I'd rather see Jeremy spend time on adding a password protection feature on caches. This would let people password protect virtual caches or place passwords in caches so that the cache finder has to actually open the log book or email the cache owner before logging a find.

I'd also like to see time spent on making the transfer of ownership and adoption of unmaintained caches an automated process.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command