avoiding avatars

enfanta

I agree. Please don't point guns at people. They are pretty unwelcoming and unnerving, even if only cyber-images, and they don't give gun owners a responsible image. BTW, I am not anti-firearm, only anti-irresponsible firearm use.

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

I don't like having weapons pointed at me, even if it's just an image.

I guess I can't argue that...

When I first saw Criminal's image, I thought to myself that the photographer isn't very bright, but as a photographer, I know I would have taken the picture too, if it was the image I wanted.

Aside from disabling images in your browser, you could always appeal to Criminal and umc to find a new avatar gag. Maybe roadkill images. I have a couple of those.

Jamie

I don't like Metaphors avatar... it reminds me of a terrorist, with the face all hidden by the mask. And Prime Suspect? Oh my... you can just tell that he is up to no good. icon_rolleyes.gif

I've already changed my avatar once because someone thought it was an upside down image of shaved testicles with a face on it. What happens if someone comes in the forums that is really put off by pictures of feet? icon_razz.gif

Having a picture of a gun like that is quite different from doing that in real life. I'm pretty sure if you ever met UMC or Criminal or whoever - they wouldn't go around aiming guns at you.

Hopefully you will find a way to block the images you find offensive - but I hope you don't try to get Jeremy to remove those avatars if they choose not to change them.

geobanana.gifThe Toe Pages

"Now with 50% less yuck, and 100% more color!!"

quote:
I've already changed my avatar once because someone thought it was an upside down image of shaved testicles with a face on it. What happens if someone comes in the forums that is really put off by pictures of feet? icon_razz.gif

Heh. Now there's a mental image I don't need.

Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

There is a slight difference between the sight of your toes decorated to highlight your username and the barrel of a gun in your face... sort of like the difference between a "thumbs-up" and a middle finger. I don't mind one; the other doesn't really showcase the friendly environment that this organization has at its heart, no matter how funny or cute the poster thinks it is.

Someone shouldn't have to figure out a way to cut out all the graphics in the forums to have to avoid a few who think that playing with guns as toys is cool. Guns are not toys.

As for my image, I have to wear the facial covering. Because of an unfortunate incident at my conception, my face was, well, not perfectly formed. I was sparing you the pain.

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

even I find the images disconcerting. For me, it goes beyond freedom of speech, photographic artistic merit, or even just having fun.

I don't want to block them, but I have nothing but contempt for those images and, unfortunately, a negative impression of those who post them. Juvenile comes to mind. Unimaginative. Certainly unprofessional--professionalism being about an attitude and state of mind, not whether you get paid to do something. So then I wonder about their attitude with regard to the rest of us.

As for those good-looking toes: I like'em.

icon_cool.gif

don

quote:
Originally posted by Faderaven:

quote:
I've already changed my avatar once because someone thought it was an upside down image of shaved testicles with a face on it.
Heh. Now there's a mental image I don't need.

Let me help by inverting my original avatar... you be the judge. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

even I find the images disconcerting. For me, it goes beyond freedom of speech, photographic artistic merit, or even just having fun.

I don't want to block them, but I have nothing but contempt for those images and, unfortunately, a negative impression of those who post them. Juvenile comes to mind. Unimaginative. Certainly unprofessional--professionalism being about an attitude and state of mind, not whether you get paid to do something. So then I wonder about their attitude with regard to the rest of us.

As for those good-looking toes: I like'em.

icon_cool.gif

don

Well, I am juvenile, unimaginative and very unprofessional and when it comes to my attitude towards the rest of ya I can care less if your going to cry over a pic with guns in it.

Unimaginative since I was not the first, unprofessional and juvenile because I'm posting in this thread along with ya'll.

quote:
Guns are not toys.

Thats news to me, thanks for pointing it out and maybe you can educate me on proper gun safety and point out what is wrong with that pic. You are correct about my camera being in danger while the pic was taking but the tripod that it was sitting on was quite safe.

I think over sensitive would be the word for the day. Maybe insensitive as far as I'm concerened. I must admit this makes my blood boil and makes me want to act more juvenile than I already have and post some pics of the reality that we all live in just to hear the whining then.

Sorry to offend.

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

[This message was edited by umc on January 01, 2003 at 08:10 PM.]

By the way, no I'm not hungry, lost my appetite as a matter of fact especially after seeing that dead mammal meat on the grill. Someone had to kill that ya know and it can be viewed as rather offensive to the vegans and PETA...

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Thats news to me, thanks for pointing it out and maybe you can educate me on proper gun safety and point out what is wrong with that pic. You are correct about my camera being in danger while the pic was taking but the tripod that it was sitting on was quite safe.

Heh... this makes me think back to when my cousin and I were younger - we used to hunt each other in the woods behind our house, shooting each other with BB guns. icon_smile.gif We'd have thick coats and goggles on... but still - BBs friggin' hurt.

But no - I don't believe that having an avatar with a gun pointed at the viewer is beyond the scope of the 1st amendment or something... hehe I remember a decade or so ago, pretty much every semi-truck that you'd see on the highway would have a bumper sticker that said "Protected by Smith & Wesson" with a picture of a revolver aimed at the person reading the sticker. icon_razz.gif

geobanana.gifThe Toe Pages

"Now with 50% less yuck, and 100% more color!!"

(And yeah, I'd be more scared of the guy with the bucket o' doots, fo' sho'!)