visiting the South Island

Huhnbeauftragter

Guten Abend!

I am about to explore the South Island. From July, 12th to July, 29th. I will start my journey at Christchurch.

By now, I do not have a paricular plans what to do or to see.

Bungeejumping and whale-watching would be nice (perhaps at the same time... ;)

Oh, and of course trapping a penguin so I can train it to hunt rabbits.

This is why I ask some questions:

So, are there any Events to attend?

Are there some nice Geocaching-Trails? Or some very cool caches to find?

And what should one have seen in this part of New Zealand?

Thanks in advance!

If you need further information feel free to ask.

lg

Rüdiger aka Huhnbeauftragter

Guten Abend!

I am about to explore the South Island. From July, 12th to July, 29th. I will start my journey at Christchurch.

Thanks in advance!

lg

You could come north from Chch to beautiful sunny Marlborough

Stop at Kaikoura on the way to see the whales

Stop again at Kekerengu to enjoy the beautiful beach .. or if the wind is in the wrong direction you could take photos of the impressive waves

When you get to Blenheim (we have camping ggrounds and backpackers) tour the vineyards by bicycle or in a mini bus (organised)

The travel on up to Picton (only 26km) to explore the sounds. There is good walking.

Yes Marlborough has some caches too :-) :anitongue:

Guten Abend!

Thanks in advance!

lg

Come to Dunedin, south of Christchurch! Our main attractions, all laden with geocaching possibilites are the Otago Peninsula for wildlife and breathtaking scenery on the seaward side, also the town is surrounded by bush reserves and walkways abound with views south, north and west to the mountains.

If you want bungees jumping, a visit to the NZ home of bungee in central otago is a must, where there are several options, also skiing (if the snow comes).

the last time we were in New Zealand we did the west coast of the south island, Franz Joseph must be crying out for a cache. unfortunately it was before i started geocaching but i can still recommend the west coast as the place to be. whale watching just north of Greymouth was quite an experience

You could come north from Chch to beautiful sunny Marlborough

Stop at Kaikoura on the way to see the whales

Stop again at Kekerengu to enjoy the beautiful beach .. or if the wind is in the wrong direction you could take photos of the impressive waves

When you get to Blenheim (we have camping ggrounds and backpackers) tour the vineyards by bicycle or in a mini bus (organised)

The travel on up to Picton (only 26km) to explore the sounds. There is good walking.

Yes Marlborough has some caches too :-) :anitongue:

That sounds great.

How do I get there from Chch. Train? Or would it be best to hire a car/camper?

Come to Dunedin, south of Christchurch! Our main attractions, all laden with geocaching possibilites are the Otago Peninsula for wildlife and breathtaking scenery on the seaward side, also the town is surrounded by bush reserves and walkways abound with views south, north and west to the mountains.

If you want bungees jumping, a visit to the NZ home of bungee in central otago is a must, where there are several options, also skiing (if the snow comes).

Cromwell is nice quiet place with plenty of caches in Central Otago. drop me a line if you do come

Sounds also great.

Same questions as above. What is the best way to get to this places?

My plan so far: arriving monday evening at Chch. Perhaps I can meet up with a friend, but he has not answered my mails.

Nevertheless, I will stay a couple of days there.

Then I have 2 weeks to travel around. First to the north to follow canajanz' recommendations. From there to Dunedin and finally to Central Otago, thanks for the tips, katie w and sting160675!

I am not too keen to travel by car. I do posses an international driving license, so it is not a great deal to hire a car. But I am not comfortable with this thought. So, I'd prefer other ways of travelling.

That's the rough plan. It can change within minutes... :)

lg

Atomic Shuttles budget fares inter city service bus company New ...

www.atomictravel.co.nz/ - CachedSimilar

Atomic Shuttles provides professional economy shuttle / bus service for ... ****Afternoon services from Christchurch-Picton & Christchurch-Dunedin the pick ...

Knightrider Bus Services Ltd

www.knightrider.co.nz/ - CachedSimilar

Knightrider Bus Services offer overnight bus service running between the South Island cities of Christchurch, Ashburton, Timaru, Oamaru, Dunedin and ...

Timetables

Contact Us

Specials

Both these budget bus companies cater especially for students and backpackers, atomic shuttles also run Picton to Christchurch and back.

[:D]

Juchuu!

Thank you, Katie!

I just booked everything for the next week.

On Saturday morning, I hop on the bus to Kaikoura. There I will stay two nights. I'm looking for the whales on Sunday.

Monday morning I travel to Picton to stay there till Friday. There I will make plans for my last week in NZ.

Most likely to see the southern part of the South Island, as recommended by Sting160675.

So, my next question is: how to explore the sounds? :)

Bye!

lg

P.S.: found my first 5 caches in NZ. ;)

Back from the north of the south...

Now I am sitting in a hotel-room in Dunedin.

Last week I've been at Kaikoura and Picton. Got seasick while watching the whale and walked a part of the Queen Charlotte Track. What a great experience!

This is my last week in New Zealand. I am at Dunedin till tuesday morning, then I hop on the bus to Oamaru. On thursday I go back to Chch in order to get my plane back to Europe.

My plans for Dunedin so far: tomorrow strolling through the city, the day after tomorrow I will take a boatride to the peninsula.

And at Oamaru, well, the penguins...

I can't make it to Central Otago for the bungee-jump. So, I have to come back someday. And I certainly will!

It's a very amazing, friendly and breathtaking country!

See you!

Liebe Grüße!!

My plans for Dunedin so far: tomorrow strolling through the city
Hope you had your winter woolies on for the snow!

:D

Hehe.

Yes, got a little cold today.

Two pictures I took today:

Around Noon:

Dunedin (kurz nach zwölf)

Around 1pm:

Dunedin (kurz vor eins)

I had to stop my tour due heavy snow. So I went on for Plan B, Museum. :)

Nevertheless, I found 10 caches this morning an had a very good time.

The Museum is also a great place and after that I still was able to find the Octagon-cache. :)

Great Day in Dunedin! Awesome city! Even saw some nudists today!

lg

Edited by Huhnbeauftragter

Juchuu @all!

So, back in Germany.

Thank you all for your wonderful tips!

This time I only managed to see the east coast of the South Island. But this means, I have to come back someday to see all the other parts of your gorgeous country! Let's see, perhaps I can make it back to NZ in two years. Needs some time to refill the travel-piggybank. :)

Great Country, very friendly people, very impressive sceneries and loads of interesting plants and animals.

Best holidays of my life. Thank you, New Zealand!

lg

P.S.: took some pictures: