Pentagon pledges 'no global GPS blackout' ..maybe

teamwsmf

Pentagon pledges 'no global GPS blackout' ..maybe

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993474

"The Pentagon has told New Scientist it will not implement a global GPS blackout for civilian users if war starts in Iraq, as seems increasingly likely.

"We would not create a global problem for transport out of spite for Saddam," says a spokesman at the US Department of Defense. However, he admitted that the US military does have the capability to jam civilian GPS signals regionally, and did not rule this option out."

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

quote:
Originally posted by Eavesdropper:

... that way no one nation can hold the others to ransom with it.

I don't have a problem with other systems being put online. The more the better, I love options. But as far as I know one nation paid to put the current system into play. If that is the case every other nation has been enjoying the benefits of that one nation's hard work and use of resources. I am not sure how one can hold others to ransom if nothing that belongs to them is being taken. Of course, if the system has been paid for by others as well, I stand corrected and that is a different issue. Those who pay the bills get to do what they want with their stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by GrizzlyJohn:

Those who pay the bills get to do what they want with their stuff.

Could you PLEASE explain this concept to my ex-wife? Thanks.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

quote:
Originally posted by GrizzlyJohn:

Those who pay the bills get to do what they want with their stuff.

Could you PLEASE explain this concept to my ex-wife? Thanks.

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

Wish I could help you. I have one of those myself. The concept really only applies to nation states with armies that can back it up. Kind of like freedom of the press is only for those that can afford a press because those things are not really free.

I don't call it alimony, I call it "buying my freedom in 48 convenient monthly installments."

Gawd, it feels good to have hijacked this thread. There are about 10 threads now which speculate about GPS signals being scrambled.