EarthCache Discovery Awards

geoaware

We are very pleased to announce that the new EarthCache Discovery Award program has been launched.

This program rewards people who have visited a high number of EarthCaches. There are five levels.

Quartz - for people who have logged 50 or more EarthCaches.

Mica - for people who have logged 100 or more EarthCaches.

Garnet - for people who have logged 250 or more EarthCaches.

Emerald - for people who have logged 500 or more EarthCaches and

Diamond - for people who have logged 1000 or more EarthCaches.

(The number of logged EarthCache finds is based on your official numbers as shown on your profile in Geocaching.com).

To apply for each award, just visit the EarthCache Discovery Award page at www.earthcache.org and complete the form for each level.

These awards are in addition to the already popular EarthCache Masters Program and finds can be used for both programs.

You can also reward yourself by getting a corresponding trackable EarthCache Discovery Award Tag through the EarthCache store.

I hope you enjoy being part of this new program...and as always, thank you from the whole EarthCache team for being part of EarthCaching!

Geoaware

Fantastic - great stuff. Just a pity that we live in a part of the world that has a complete dearth of EarthCaches. In fact a dearth of all types of caches. :(:mad: How about a special award for ratio of finds to cache density for us poor people living in areas of extremely low cache densities? :o:P

We are very pleased to announce that the new EarthCache Discovery Award program has been launched.

Do you allow me to ask a question starting with why here? Please note that you do not need to answer it and that my intent

is not to criticize you or your program.

Here is my question: Why do you require the real name of cachers for the process of obtaining the new discovery awards?

Cezanne

Here is my question: Why do you require the real name of cachers for the process of obtaining the new discovery awards?

Here's my guess (and I really don't have 'the inside scoop' here)...

So it's tied to the caching account in their system if you order the commemorative tag.

All of the items purchased from the EarthCache store are being sent via regular mail. My mail doesn't come to my house addressed to "Neos2" it comes in my name. If the address was off a bit or smeared my mail carrier might be able to still get it to me with my name on it. She would have no idea who Neos2 might be, though. It would be the same issue if were accidentally delivered to my neighbors' home--which happened to me just yesterday. Someone addressed a get-well card to my neighbor at my address. If they hadn't had her name on it, I wouldn't have known where it should have gone, and since it had my address, the post office had no reason to know it wasn't supposed to come to my home.

Edited by Neos2

My mail doesn't come to my house addressed to "Neos2" it comes in my name. If the address was off a bit or smeared my mail carrier might be able to still get it to me with my name on it. She would have no idea who Neos2 might be, though.

Thanks for your reply.

I fully agree with you as the snail mail issue is regarded. I am already glad if my mail is delivered to me if everything in the address field is right and 100% correct.

I thought however that ordering any stuff from the EC store is something voluntary and not required and is done in a separate step. In case of the masters program one even is allowed to buy e.g. an EC silver pin if one has not arrived at the Silver level.

Cezanne

My mail doesn't come to my house addressed to "Neos2" it comes in my name. If the address was off a bit or smeared my mail carrier might be able to still get it to me with my name on it. She would have no idea who Neos2 might be, though.

Thanks for your reply.

I fully agree with you as the snail mail issue is regarded. I am already glad if my mail is delivered to me if everything in the address field is right and 100% correct.

I thought however that ordering any stuff from the EC store is something voluntary and not required and is done in a separate step (via the EC store). In case of the masters program one even is allowed to buy e.g. an EC silver pin if one has not arrived at the Silver level and it appears to me that the same applies to the new program.

One possibility might however be that the request for the real name is a relic of the times when the pins for the masters program were sent out by the GSA for free and automatically once someone had applied for the respective level. If this is the case, then they could do away with the real name requirement now.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

We just received our "Garnet" award. Thanks Geoaware and team! :D

P.S. With the Earthcache master Program we refer to ourselves as Proud Platinum Earthcache Masters. With the new program, when posting the icon should we refer to the us as "Proud Garnet Earthcache Discoverers"?

Please, I'm being totally serious. Thanks.

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

P.S. With the Earthcache master Program we refer to ourselves as Proud Platinum Earthcache Masters. With the new program, when posting the icon should we refer to the us as "Proud Garnet Earthcache Discoverers"?

Maybe..

"Proud holders of the Garnet EarthCache Discovery Award"

Thank you for your work in continuing to develop earthcaching. I did some quick math based on our current plans and figure that I will hit the next level when we are in Yellowstone later this summer. It seems like an appropriate spot.

Although I would have found each earthcache even without an award, and will continue to seek out earthcaches as I am able regardless of any level that it might represent, the program seems like a nice addition to the game. I hope it encourages people to go just a bit out of their way for an earthcache - it is often well worth the time and effort in so many ways.

Edited by mulvaney

WooHoo! Now I can go and discover ECs... wait, that isn't any different, lol! Just trying to cause trouble :laughing:!!

I am really excited about the new levels. We are a few finds away from Quartz, but I am looking forward to commemorating that milestone. Thanks to all the volunteers that assisted with making this extension of the EC Reward Program!!

Maybe..

"Proud holders of the Garnet EarthCache Discovery Award"

I like that idea and yes, I will use the word proud. I guess it's just my ego but I (we) are proud of a lot of things. I will not list everything (too long of a list) or just individual achievements, but I (we) are proud of our kids, proud of all of our grand kids, proud of our Country and especially proud of our son Capt. Robert (Happy 4th Robert!) Oops, I almost forgot we are proud Platinum Earthcache Masters and "proud holders of the Garnet EarthCache Discovery Award"! :D

P.S. "If you have nothing to be proud about, you have nothing!"

---------Author Unknown

Quartz - for people who have logged 50 or more EarthCaches.

Mica - for people who have logged 100 or more EarthCaches.

Garnet - for people who have logged 250 or more EarthCaches.

Emerald - for people who have logged 500 or more EarthCaches and

Diamond - for people who have logged 1000 or more EarthCaches.

Just 'finds' for a level? Really, 25 in at least 10 countries should qualify for -euhm- garnet?

Seriously, thanks for this new incentive.

Guess it will be a though one to get to Quartz -let alone Diamond- for us; 34 EC finds now (in 13 countries!), but with no car and less than a handfull ECs within reach...

(Quick tally count: holidays in Gran Canaria (+10), train trip up to Helsingør (+2), biking to a not too far away forest (+1), once over the Øresund (+1) to Malmo (+0). No i don't think we'll manage Quartz this year.)

Mr. Terratin

Edited by terratin

Ur first earch cache award must be the " picking up what u thought was coal but actually turned out to be a hard dog poo award" :) Im sooo pleased to accept this award :)

We dont have many earch caches near us in north west england....bus im limited to walk/bike.....or the cost of a tenner on the bus to get further a field....Ill keep going though because the first an only EC i did was an awsome discovery :)

Pulling this old thread out again: after two weeks of heavy caching on Lanzarote we finally qualify for the Mica 100+ award, though we still need to claim it :) :) :) I thought we'd never get there as there aren't many ECs near our place and we don't own a car, but in the end we still logged 40 this year, in 7 different countries B)

In total, currently we have found 105 Earthcaches in 17 countries and developed 7. :lol:

How are you all doing?

Mrs. terratin

I just did a Very Cool EC last week for my 100th.

Wow, that's so cool! It looks like a beach full of candy :o Congratulations for your 100 :)

I'm afraid our 100th wasn't that good, but we've seen so many marvelous EC locations during our trip that we'll remember those.

It seems the website is not available anymore , it says service is unavailable)...? Also my discovery award is not displayed anymore :-(

whats going on there?

Edit 02-17 - not an issue anymore

Edited by sunnyhill_Ahrtal

I'd forgotten all about this. Looks like we're at mica now with 121. Woohoo!

Congrats!

It looks like we won't be reaching Garnet (I love garnets!) in a while, considering there aren't really any EarthCaches in the area and neither in places we plan to travel to.

Mrs. terratin