FS: Garmin eTrex H

could you possibly tell me how you put in the cache co-ordinates on the ETREX H anyone ?

We popped down and bought the Etrex H from go outdoors, haven't switched it on yet, so we can take it back if it's not right, just reading through the manual, and I am confused about how you enter waypoints. My Pc hasn't got a serial port, so planning to just enter them manually, but the manual seem to be giving an option for marking a point where I am as a waypoint.

But what I will need to do, is put in the northings and westings of the cache, so I need to check if the etrex H will do that before I switch it on, and make it unreturnable ? Anyone used an Etrex H?

could you possibly tell me how you put in the cache co-ordinates on the ETREX H anyone ?

We popped down and bought the Etrex H from go outdoors, haven't switched it on yet, so we can take it back if it's not right, just reading through the manual, and I am confused about how you enter waypoints. My Pc hasn't got a serial port, so planning to just enter them manually, but the manual seem to be giving an option for marking a point where I am as a waypoint.

But what I will need to do, is put in the northings and westings of the cache, so I need to check if the etrex H will do that before I switch it on, and make it unreturnable ? Anyone used an Etrex H?

Hi splashandfluke

There is a reason that you got a deal on the Etrex H. Most new owners want to automatically download data to the GPS with a cable. The Etrex H doesn't come with a cable. You have to pay extra for it. The Etrex H uses serial communication. New computers don't offer serial ports. So you need a special cable/adapter. The Etrex H is limited to 6 character waypoint names. Geocache waypoint identifiers have grown to 7 characters in length. That fix requires a software based solution. The Etrex H is limited to loading 500 waypoints. Many newer Etrex units will handle 1000 waypoints. You really do get what you pay for. How much is the cheapest USB, Color, 8 character(?) waypoint name, cable included Etrex unit from go outdoors? Paying a little more for a more user friendly unit might make more sense.

Now to answer your question in case you are satisfied with with the Etrex H price and capabilities. Yes, the manual describes MARKING and saving your current position as a waypoint. What it doesn't tell you is that you can edit that marked waypoint before saving it. This really is a good system. Usually the coords you want to enter are not that far away. At least half of the numbers in the MARKED coords do not need to be edited. Just change a few of the numbers on the end and then save. But before you save those edited coords, remember that you can also change that numeric waypoint identifier (001, 002, 003) to a six character (max) word. Something like CAMP, LAKE, FISH 1, FISH 2, STUMP. Much more meaningful than just a number.

Thank you Go outdoors have this one or one for under £50 and then it jumps to £350 or £399 so it's a big jump to big for me

Hi splashandfluke

There is a reason that you got a deal on the Etrex H. Most new owners want to automatically download data to the GPS with a cable. The Etrex H doesn't come with a cable. You have to pay extra for it. The Etrex H uses serial communication. New computers don't offer serial ports. So you need a special cable/adapter. The Etrex H is limited to 6 character waypoint names. Geocache waypoint identifiers have grown to 7 characters in length. That fix requires a software based solution. The Etrex H is limited to loading 500 waypoints. Many newer Etrex units will handle 1000 waypoints. You really do get what you pay for. How much is the cheapest USB, Color, 8 character(?) waypoint name, cable included Etrex unit from go outdoors? Paying a little more for a more user friendly unit might make more sense.

Now to answer your question in case you are satisfied with with the Etrex H price and capabilities. Yes, the manual describes MARKING and saving your current position as a waypoint. What it doesn't tell you is that you can edit that marked waypoint before saving it. This really is a good system. Usually the coords you want to enter are not that far away. At least half of the numbers in the MARKED coords do not need to be edited. Just change a few of the numbers on the end and then save. But before you save those edited coords, remember that you can also change that numeric waypoint identifier (001, 002, 003) to a six character (max) word. Something like CAMP, LAKE, FISH 1, FISH 2, STUMP. Much more meaningful than just a number.