A lovely caching dog story

After a period of forestry closure where i have a series of caches, 2 weekends ago I went and replaced all the caches with fresh new ones. Within a week I was getting dnf logs, which I thought was strange as the originals had been out ages without a problem and I knew I had only just refreshed them all.

Then i get a surprise email from Groundspeak....

"Hello Sue,

Greetings from Groundspeak! I have an amusing story for you about your caches. We have been contacted by a resident of the West Bilney area whose dog is finding, retrieving, and presenting caches to her. She has no idea where they were hidden, but one container is a lizard and the other is a rabbit. It appears likely that they are the missing caches from your Sam's Lost Ball series. I am waiting for her permission to share her email address with you. Do I have your permission to share your email address with her? If both of you agree, contact each other and work out how she can return your containers.

Regards"

I was so pleased that someone had taken the trouble to contact Groundspeak (and pleased I had left a stash sheet explaining caching in the caches) and I was also impressed at the dog finding them, as they are hidden well and away from the main path.

I have now been in contact with the finder and its a small world, shes the dog trainer that 10 years ago I took Sam to for basic training, so it was lovely to have a chat and catch up. And explains why her dog was able to find them as it is so well trained.

Rehidng the caches again will be harder as her dog can track fresh human scent, so might have to put them up a tree now!

My dog Kai (which some of you have met) finds most of the caches when we go out hunting these days. We thought it was due to human scent until she found a FTF. Even better she doesnt actually remove them she just sits next to them with a look on her face that clearly states we are stupid humans.

Certainly helps if your GPS is sending you to every ivy covered tree in the forest....

title should read a lovely caching dog story not a strange story but I dont know how to edit it

If you want to edit the title of this topic you can do it by clicking on 'Report', bottom left, under your first post. In the little box that opens explain what you want as the new title, then 'Submit Report'.

The message will go to one of the moderators who'll be able to change it for you.

(Don't expect immediate action - one's probably at work and the other's asleep in US :D )

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Heh heh I dont want the dog I want the trainer!!!!!!!!! Pup has had moments of brilliance (Stick Around Awhile being his most notable find!) but most of the time he fails to sniff out a biscuit under his nose!!!!!!!!!!

Sniffing out tupperware is on my to do list once we've sorted his pulling like a train problems!!!!!!!! I blame his husky father for that;)

Heh heh I dont want the dog I want the trainer!!!!!!!!! Pup has had moments of brilliance (Stick Around Awhile being his most notable find!) but most of the time he fails to sniff out a biscuit under his nose!!!!!!!!!!

Sniffing out tupperware is on my to do list once we've sorted his pulling like a train problems!!!!!!!! I blame his husky father for that;)

I'll add another £10 to the bid if the dog can also pull me up hills.

Does your pup do repeat performances? Is he out for rent? I can't find that dadgum cache!!!

:ph34r:

Does your pup do repeat performances? Is he out for rent? I can't find that dadgum cache!!!

Hmmmm - "dadgum". That's an interesting site edit!!!

Hmmmm - "dadgum". That's an interesting site edit!!!

Lol! You're welcome to borrow him - sadly despite moments of brilliance I have a nasty feeling that it was just fluke!!! Lol