Yale coords?

SOKOS

A myst cache I stumbled over in Italy wants me to find some places with large visible objects using "yale coords"? Can anyone tell me what they are??

Br, SOKOS

I have no idea what "yale coords" are. In case you're interested, however, here are the GPS coordinates for Yale University: N 41° 18.75203', W 72° 55.83318'.

A myst cache I stumbled over in Italy wants me to find some places with large visible objects using "yale coords"? Can anyone tell me what they are??

Br, SOKOS

The best place to go for help on a mystery cache is the CACHE OWNER.

Un-sporting to ask for help here.

It is not "un-sporting" to ask for help here. It's also not "bad form."

What is bad form is posting puzzle answers here, where they can easily be searched. It's ok to ask; anyone who wants to help should do so by private message.

What is bad form is posting puzzle answers here, where they can easily be searched. It's ok to ask; anyone who wants to help should do so by private message.

So I guess you and I have differing opinions on the subject. :)

No fuzz off my peach, but I'd bet you would change your tune if it was YOUR puzzle being group-solved online. :o

No fuzz off my peach, but I'd bet you would change your tune if it was YOUR puzzle being group-solved online. :o

Nope - I wouldnt change my tune. I would consider it an honor - of sorts - if one of my puzzles (not that I have many) stumped someone to the point that it was being "group-solved online".

Nope - I wouldnt change my tune. I would consider it an honor - of sorts - if one of my puzzles (not that I have many) stumped someone to the point that it was being "group-solved online".

ps - I dont want someone to get so hung on solving one of my puzzles that they decide to ignore the cache... like is being done with some monkeys in the area. I will go so far as to give you the coords if you are really stumped. The puzzle should only be half the fun, the rest is getting out there and finding it.

ps - I dont want someone to get so hung on solving one of my puzzles that they decide to ignore the cache... like is being done with some monkeys in the area. I will go so far as to give you the coords if you are really stumped. The puzzle should only be half the fun, the rest is getting out there and finding it.

Checking to see if any of the puzzles on my IGNORE list belong you... ;)

I don't think you read what I said. Let me summarize.

Asking for help: OK

Posting solutions: Not OK

So if a person posts a request for help, and people provide help IN PRIVATE MESSAGES, not posted on the forum, how is that "group-solved online?"

FWIW, at times it can be hard to know when what you're asking about is actually supposed to be part of the puzzle, vs. part of the terminology of the game you just don't understand. If there was an instruction to convert to British Grid coords before doing some math, asking folks here what the British Grid is is pretty benign. "Yale coords" very much sounds like it could be an alternative system in common use somewhere (although after looking I'm now pessimistic about that theory).

+1

The point of my puzzle caches are still to be found. I don't want an FTF magnet.

Not having seen the cache page, it is difficult to say for sure, but perhaps "yale" is a reference to the Yale BSC (Bright Star Catalog). A catalog of large visible objects (greater than 6.5 stellar magnitude). It is available online.

Edited by B+L

Thanks everyone!

I am sorry to have offended someone asking about "yale"-coords as part of solving a myst. But the hint it self was "Yale - not the usual coords", so I really believe that it was okay for me to ask!? I could have gone to the library, but instead I posted my question here, what's the difference - really? - and now I have a clue what to look for. I think I know what to do, when I find the "places" with the new coords. Still have to do the math, though...

Br, SOKOS

Without seeing the cache page for context, I ran across the following in a google search of "Yale - not the usual coords" . Although it would appear to be more about the coordinate system that the YALE program uses - ie x-y coordinate system using whole or half- integers.

ftp://reports.stanford.edu/pub/cstr/reports/csl/tr/82/233/CSL-TR-82-233.pdf

2.6 The YALE Coordinate System

YALE (and SILT) work in a standard mathematical right-handed Cartesian x-y coordinate system.

SILT allows arbitrary real coordinates, but YALE restricts the coordinates to be integers or halfintegers.

When selecting a point on the screen, the nearest point with half-integer coordinates is

chosen.

The grid marks that can appear on the screen are always placed at distances that are equal of a

power of 2 times lambda. The exponent can be negative, however.

Thanks everyone!

I am sorry to have offended someone asking about "yale"-coords as part of solving a myst. But the hint it self was "Yale - not the usual coords", so I really believe that it was okay for me to ask!? I could have gone to the library, but instead I posted my question here, what's the difference - really? - and now I have a clue what to look for. I think I know what to do, when I find the "places" with the new coords. Still have to do the math, though...

Br, SOKOS

You didn't do anything wrong, no need to apologize. Ignore any meanyheads that tell you otherwise. Posting questions in the forum is ok... that's what the forum is here for.

Posting ANSWERS here, where they remain online and will show up in searches forever, is not so good, though.