C:geo for Android - roaming

c:geo violates the TOS of the site and use of it may get you banned.

It also is no longer being supported by its developer- and with the site update today it probably broke.

I don't use an Android so, you'll need to get suggestions from other people.

Edit for typo.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

I think c:geo used live data.

If you want a good free app that uses offline data to avoid the roaming charges (and get better battery life) I'd recommend GeoHunter. You'll just need to download the data yourself - either GPX/LOC files individually or become a premium member and run a Pocket Query (PQ) or Caches Along A Route which will give a file you can download.

Edited by Joshism

Hi,

Does anyone know if C:Geo uses data when the caches are stored on the device? I'm going somewhere I'd like to cache, but it's not in my data plan so would have to roam. I have a HTC Wildfire S if it makes any difference.

Thanks,

Julia

Right now, c:geo is still working. And to answer your question: if you store the caches you may go for, you need no data connection. But remember to store also the maps for offline use. With locus you can store maps in different scales for offline use.

While it's now a moot point, just how does/did using c:geo get one banned? Did anyone ever get banned? How were they caught using it? Did it's use send a secret message back to Groundspeak? I've seen many posts about being banned, but no proof.

Thanks for the replies (polite and not so polite). I guess that's my newest hobby gone then. I haven't got the time to dedicate downloading files in preparation, one of the best things about it was the live maps and being able to cache on the fly. It's a shame, but in any case, the vast majority of the caches around me are premium only so I was always going to be limited as a basic member. It was fun while it lasted.

Thanks for the replies (polite and not so polite). I guess that's my newest hobby gone then. I haven't got the time to dedicate downloading files in preparation, one of the best things about it was the live maps and being able to cache on the fly. It's a shame, but in any case, the vast majority of the caches around me are premium only so I was always going to be limited as a basic member. It was fun while it lasted.

The official app ($10) will do what you need. I like caching on the fly. Probably 90% of my cache finds are spontanious, so a app that can get data without PQ is very good.

sadly the official app will not do what you need, it doesn't work after the last update. For now it just doesn't work. I'm in the same boat as you, I have to stop geocaching as soon as c:geo stops and then wait until the official app becomes workable again. :huh:

To answer your original point it does use data when looking for new caches but I think for stored caches it doesn't need a data connection active I used this yesterday when in London and it worked just fine.

Edited by AlbaT4

I belive people are correct in the fact that if it's using stored data that it will not be using your data plan... but just to make sure you can go into your phone and "disable your mobile data" wile you are caching. This will make sure that your phone is only using your GPS and not roaming.

It also is no longer being supported by its developer- and with the site update today it probably broke.

Edit for typo.

I dout the use of it would get you banned. Groundspeak would talk with google and have it removed from the market place before they would go as far as ban people. Many people that use the app don't even know its in violation of anything. I didn't even know until I started reading the many c:geo posts that have been popping up on these forums.

Seems to be a common mis-conception among some. C:GEO does not violate the ToU of the site.

The original developer is walking away however it appears another group will be picking up support.

I'll have to hop on threads about IOS. Didn't know we were suppose to do that.

sadly the official app will not do what you need, it doesn't work after the last update. For now it just doesn't work. I'm in the same boat as you, I have to stop geocaching as soon as c:geo stops and then wait until the official app becomes workable again. :huh:

While lacking some of the features of C:GEO, the official app does work quite well.

Seems to be a common mis-conception among some. C:GEO does not violate the ToU of the site.

The original developer is walking away however it appears another group will be picking up support.

It's not a misconception. Jeremy stated it violated the TOS, that Groundspeak tried to work with the developer, and that he opted not to use the API.

When the president of the company publicly states that it violates the TOS, it most likely violates the TOS ... as do all the apps that use Web Scraping to obtain Geocaching.com data.

Use GCzII with PQs, it's fine by Groundspeak. Use the Web Scraping mode and it is a violation of the TOS. Same applies to c:geo.

I've been noticing some issues with c:geo in the past few days.... not sure if anyone else is noticing the same thing. I went out geocaching on Saturday using c:geo with no issues. Found 2 caches without issue. The map showed exactly were the cache was located. But, when I went out Sunday I started to notice something weird. The map was a little bit off. One cache on the c:geo map was located about 30 feet into the water of the bay of san diego..... this can't be right I tought. So I opened another android app, geo hunter I belive it was. Now, geo hunter had the correct location listed and we found the cache. Then another time the same day c:geo's map had the cache located inside of someones house.... this can't be right I thought. So, once again I opened another program and looked at the same cache which was then listed about 80 feet south in the correct location. At that point we ended up finding the cache. 2 out of the 4 cache's we looked at that day c:geo's map had the wrong location. Not sure if this has something to do with the update GS did to their site and c:geos creator no longer updating it to coinside with the update. Thought it was kind of strange. Until now, this is the first time I've had any issues with c:geos acuracy.